Beto O'Rourke

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    dankind said:
    Is Beto a common Latino name? I know that Berto is, but Beto?
    It's a common Latino nickname for Roberto and Alberto and I guess any other name ending with "erto". O'Rouke's name is Robert of course, so because of where he grew up, everyone started calling him Beto when he was very young.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Must be regional. Most of the Albertos or Robertos I knew in Florida and NYC, and one in Massachusetts (fewer known here because of the structural segregation), were nicknamed Berto, with the 'r'. Yes, even in r-challenged Massachusetts, they pronounce the 'r.'
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited October 2018
    dankind said:
    Must be regional. Most of the Albertos or Robertos I knew in Florida and NYC, and one in Massachusetts (fewer known here because of the structural segregation), were nicknamed Berto, with the 'r'. Yes, even in r-challenged Massachusetts, they pronounce the 'r.'
    Yeah, it's regional from what O'Rouke said about it - sounded like it's basically a close to the Mexican border thing. He was born in El Paso.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Whens the next debate?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Whens the next debate?
    Cruz refused to attend so Beto has a whole hour in a town hall coming up. Not sure when. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Whens the next debate?
    Cruz refused to attend so Beto has a whole hour in a town hall coming up. Not sure when. 
    Plenty of time for air drums.
  • PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    Did I read about a dildo ban in this thread and goofball Cruz supported it?

Bwahahahaha. Wtf is wrong with people? Scared of a dildo? And people in here will vote for that spineless weasel? Lol, good lord. A fucking dildo ban, is the apocalypse here yet? I want a front row seat 
    You got all caught up in “fake news” again ;)
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ted-cruz-opposed-self-pleasuring/
    C’mon man, how do you think Ted Cruz would answer the question, “is it acceptable for an individual to masturbate and to artificially stimulate ones genitals?” With the cameras rolling. He’s as hypocritical as they come!
    Is this the best you guys can come up with?  C’mon man...zzzzzzzzzz  
    Do we really need to go into his policy positions? C’mon, get woke, man.

#standuptostupid
    Which policies of Robert do you think are “winners”?  I do not align with hardly any of his stances.  Convince me, a pro-lifer, 2nd Amendment supporter (like a great number of Texans) why I should vote for “Beto”?  I mean, he’s great at air drums and all, but that’s not enough.

I can support his stance on education:

No public tax dollars should be given to private schools.Increase public funding for low income and underserved communities.Public school teachers should have their retirements protected by ensuring that we do away with the Windfall Elimination Provision.We should continue to take steps towards moving control to the classroom and empowering teachers to fulfill their calling by having autonomy to teach their students and reduce the emphasis on arbitrary, high-stakes tests.Strike down toxic legislation like Senate Bill 6 and any regulation that discriminates against a student based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.

Does the bugger eater oppose Senate Bill 6? Probably not but you're aligned with that aren't you?

I can support his stance on energy, particularly re-joining the Paris Climate Accords. Where's the bugger eater on that?:

Other steps we can take to promote energy and environmental reforms include:

• Enacting comprehensive energy reform that optimizes the uses of current energy sources while incentivizing the innovation of new and renewable sources of energy.
    • Rejoining the Paris Climate Accords.
    • Empowering the EPA to exercise oversight of those harming the environment, particularly drilling, fracking, and pipeline construction.
    • Supporting stronger land-use policies in Texas.
    I can support his gun safety approach:
    • Require background checks for all gun sales to ensure that firearms only get into the hands of responsible, law-abiding individuals. This means finally closing the gun show, online, and boyfriend loopholes.
    • Stop selling weapons of war and high-capacity magazines to ensure that firearms designed to kill as effectively and efficiently as possible on the battlefield aren’t used in our schools, our streets, our churches, and our concerts.    
    • Block the erosion of Texas’ license to carry standards by opposing Concealed Carry Reciprocity, which would force Texas to allow anyone from states with weak to nonexistent conceal carry laws to disregard our own public safety requirements.
    • Fully support federal research on gun violence so that we can better understand and address its root causes.

And I can support his pro-choice position:

Ensuring that a woman’s right to choose is not compromised by limited access to safe and legal abortion services or family planning help.Expanding Medicaid and funding family planning centers in order to prevent another mother dying needlessly due to complications before or after childbirth.Supporting policies that guarantee a woman’s access to birth control and emergency contraception.Protecting the Title X Family Planning Program that ensure millions of low-income Americans can afford access to reproductive health services, such as cervical and breast cancer screenings and well-woman exams.
    All of these positions are much more "pro-life" than anything Ted "Boogerman" Cruz could come up with to appease his holier than thou base.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited October 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Whens the next debate?
    Stop putting down a person, because you support a non-person who stands for nothing that would push your country forward in a positive direction. 

Here's something to help you swing over to the human :) We still have time PJPOWER ! Lets save you together! OUR PET PROJECT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvKZAPhOUU
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PJPOWER said:
    Whens the next debate?
    Stop putting down a person, because you support a non-person who stands for nothing that would push your country forward in a positive direction. 

Here's something to help you swing over to the human :) We still have time PJPOWER ! Lets save you together! OUR PET PROJECT

Lol, trust me, i’ve said “c’mon Ted” plenty of times as well.  Funny thing, I bet the guy in the video is actually going to vote for Cruz!
  • PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Whens the next debate?

Lol, trust me, i’ve said “c’mon Ted” plenty of times as well.  Funny thing, I bet the guy in the video is actually going to vote for Cruz!
    Or its one of Richard Linklasters liberal actor-pals from California putting on an accent. Haha. Funny anyways. 
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Whens the next debate?

Or its one of Richard Linklasters liberal actor-pals from California putting on an accent. Haha. Funny anyways. 
    I’ll give you that, it was funny.  The only place we see White Castles in TX are in boxes in the frozen section at the supermarket.  I have yet to try one...

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Whens the next debate?

I’ll give you that, it was funny.  The only place we see White Castles in TX are in boxes in the frozen section at the supermarket.  I have yet to try one...

keep that as a yet. or wait til youre shitfaced drunk, which is the bulk of WC sales......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So it appears as though a debate is back on for tonight....

I can’t keep up. Ted Cruz has likely been preparing for a debate all this time while Beto thought he was having a town hall meeting. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Seems the boogerman has forgotten all about the Preppy Boys, in their khakis and pink polo shirts with popped collars banging on the glass as the Palm Beach board of election workers tried to hand count ballots. Or the tea partiers showing up at town hall meetings to shout their congressional representatives down. Maybe he’s forgotten the shout out of “you lie” during the SOTU address or the Arizona governor with her finger in the face of the POTUS. Seems he’s also forgotten about tiki torch bearing white assholes shouting “the Jews will not replace us” and his current head of his party and his pussy grabbing ways. Be afraid, Ted, be afraid. What a fucking loser.             

Ted Cruz Snaps at Debate Moderator When Asked About Civility: ‘Don’t Interrupt Me, Jason’ - Newsweek https://apple.news/AR5ICiOkCQveSyfLWcqWRRg
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So let me get this straight Texas.  Your choices are sticking with Ted Cruz (who I never really liked but thought maybe he actually had principles...that I just didn't align with...but then he works with Trump after what he did to him) and Beto?  A guy that's popular because of what exactly?  Young, energetic and likes the Who?  Gets drive-thru and can play the air drums?  Why is this Beto so popular with the left in Texas, honest question.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited October 2018
    So let me get this straight Texas.  Your choices are sticking with Ted Cruz (who I never really liked but thought maybe he actually had principles...that I just didn't align with...but then he works with Trump after what he did to him) and Beto?  A guy that's popular because of what exactly?  Young, energetic and likes the Who?  Gets drive-thru and can play the air drums?  Why is this Beto so popular with the left in Texas, honest question.
    Because he is a decent human being. And has a "decent-thuman-being-that-wants-to-do-good-and-maybe-get-people-normal-fucking-sane-healthcare-like-ALL-other-western-democracies"-glow to him.

While Ted Cruz wants to deport all dreamers. 

You know this. And where O'Rourke stands on issues.
  • dankind said:
    So it appears as though a debate is back on for tonight....

I can’t keep up. Ted Cruz has likely been preparing for a debate all this time while Beto thought he was having a town hall meeting. 
    Could be a strategy. 

O'Rourke lacked bite the first time around. Which I think is needed. People down there, and some in this thread, don't seem to see Cruz for what he really is. 

Vote for decent people. Don't be that weird brand of backwards that US revel in. "Lets bring back coal and talk about god all the time"
    Because he is a decent human being. And has a "decent-thuman-being-that-wants-to-do-good-and-maybe-get-people-normal-fucking-sane-healthcare-like-ALL-other-western-democracies"-glow to him.

Ummmm, I asked the question for a reason.

Being a decent human being huh?  Bar is low in the political world, sad.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • So let me get this straight Texas.  Your choices are sticking with Ted Cruz (who I never really liked but thought maybe he actually had principles...that I just didn't align with...but then he works with Trump after what he did to him) and Beto?  A guy that's popular because of what exactly?  Young, energetic and likes the Who?  Gets drive-thru and can play the air drums?  Why is this Beto so popular with the left in Texas, honest question.

The bar is low. But that is not a reason to vore for Ted Cruz. 

"B-b-b-but Beto is taking away my guns and not live like we're stuck in the 1800s - we can't have that!"

"B-b-b-but Beto is taking away my guns and not live like we're stuck in the 1800s - we can't have that!"
    Yeah, I'm not in texas, but I wouldn't vote for Cruz if I was.  But just wondering if there is really substance behind some of these democratic up and comers.  or, if it's more like find a young likable person that sticks to the decently left of center script (the new Dem platform it seems).  Not saying it's a bad thing, just trying to understand if this is another Obama or just a flash in the pan.  Cause I expected Obama's rise, you could see it, but it came 4-8 years earlier than I thought it would.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ahhh, the great state of Texas, where they make it illegal to disclose the location of fertilizer warehouses after one blows up, leveling an apartment complex and killing scores and where they expect you to comply. Leave your civil liberties at the border folks. Wonder if private school kids are required to watch too?

http://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/texas-high-school-students-must-watch-video-on-how-to-interact-with-police

Brilliantati©
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

Yeah, I'm not in texas, but I wouldn't vote for Cruz if I was.  But just wondering if there is really substance behind some of these democratic up and comers.  or, if it's more like find a young likable person that sticks to the decently left of center script (the new Dem platform it seems).  Not saying it's a bad thing, just trying to understand if this is another Obama or just a flash in the pan.  Cause I expected Obama's rise, you could see it, but it came 4-8 years earlier than I thought it would.
    More or less this exactly. He's a thoughtful, charismatic guy with garden variety progressive views. Not my bag, but would certainly be interesting to see how it plays nationally. 
  • pjl44 said:

More or less this exactly. He's a thoughtful, charismatic guy with garden variety progressive views. Not my bag, but would certainly be interesting to see how it plays nationally. 
    What does "garden variety" mean? For someone not native english speaking?
    pjl44 said:

What does "garden variety" mean? For someone not native english speaking?
    Standard or run-of-the-mill
    edited October 2018
    Not going to lie, I do like O’Rourke’s stance on marijuana legalization.  He needs to back off some of the other stances (gun control, abortion on demand) to get my vote, though.  I imagine a lot of other Texans feel the same.  
    If he came out and said “Hey guys, I really just want to get weed legalized, that’s all”, I would probably vote for him, lol. 

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:
    Not going to lie, I do like O’Rourke’s stance on marijuana legalization.  He needs to back off some of the other stances (gun control, abortion on demand) to get my vote, though.  I imagine a lot of other Texans feel the same.  
    If he came out and said “Hey guys, I really just want to get weed legalized, that’s all”, I would probably vote for him, lol. 

https://betofortexas.com/issues

Guns
    • Require background checks for all gun sales to ensure that firearms only get into the hands of responsible, law-abiding individuals. This means finally closing the gun show, online, and boyfriend loopholes.
    • Stop selling weapons of war and high-capacity magazines to ensure that firearms designed to kill as effectively and efficiently as possible on the battlefield aren’t used in our schools, our streets, our churches, and our concerts.    
    • Block the erosion of Texas’ license to carry standards by opposing Concealed Carry Reciprocity, which would force Texas to allow anyone from states with weak to nonexistent conceal carry laws to disregard our own public safety requirements.
    • Fully support federal research on gun violence so that we can better understand and address its root causes.

Women's Health
    • Ensuring that a woman’s right to choose is not compromised by limited access to safe and legal abortion services or family planning help.
    • Expanding Medicaid and funding family planning centers in order to prevent another mother dying needlessly due to complications before or after childbirth.
    • Supporting policies that guarantee a woman’s access to birth control and emergency contraception.
    • Protecting the Title X Family Planning Program that ensure millions of low-income Americans can afford access to reproductive health services, such as cervical and breast cancer screenings and well-woman exams.
    That crazy bastard
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:

https://betofortexas.com/issues

Guns

Women's Health
    • Ensuring that a woman’s right to choose is not compromised by limited access to safe and legal abortion services or family planning help.
    • Expanding Medicaid and funding family planning centers in order to prevent another mother dying needlessly due to complications before or after childbirth.
    • Supporting policies that guarantee a woman’s access to birth control and emergency contraception.
    • Protecting the Title X Family Planning Program that ensure millions of low-income Americans can afford access to reproductive health services, such as cervical and breast cancer screenings and well-woman exams.
    That crazy bastard
    It's the second bullet under Guns that sounds good as rhetoric, but concerns people because it leaves a broad interpretation of what he might support. How does "weapon of war" translate into written legislation? Full autos are already illegal.

And high capacity magazines? Make a bunch of equipment non-compliant and force people to purchase replacements? Quite a sales boon for firearms manufacturers with no real practical impact.
  • How can guns be such a big thing for americans.... it's just... I mean... it's not the environment, health care, education... 
    How can guns be such a big thing for americans.... it's just... I mean... it's not the environment, health care, education... 
    Yeah I don’t get it really. I’m not sure why people are so concerned with the government taking their guns away....yet they get pissed if the government doesn’t tell you what bathroom to use.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited October 2018
    PJPOWER said:

Why would abortion even be such a big issue for you... instead of lets say the environment or education etc. What makes the right so fixated on guns and abortion... do you get like slowly shaped into focusing on those specific things through Fox News or something..?  

(or has the abortion thing to do with religious beliefs for you maybe(?))

Abortion and guns are like (pretty much) non-issues in Sweden (except for maybe "how can we stop guns from being smuggled in from the balkans"). And I bet the average woman and man are happier and healthier in Sweden than in the US.

In the US, it's like nothing is more important. Raise your view a bit maybe texans.