Options

Considering a reverse boycott of the NFL

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Comparing CP to Ali ... LMFAO.  CK did not sacrifice nothing, he was already rich, he opted out of his contract.  But Ali did sacrifice a lot.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Comparing CP to Ali ... LMFAO.  CK did not sacrifice nothing, he was already rich, he opted out of his contract.  But Ali did sacrifice a lot.
    Name another athlete that has caused this amount of social discussion that we have seen take place the past few years since he quietly took a knee? Feel free to take your time
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    Standing for a song has nothing to do with their job or job related duties... uniforms have not been alerted... its peaceful protest and it's as American as apple pie whether you agree with the protest or not... 

You really want employers to have the power to make you stand for a song? 

Wealthy white owners put some profit over the peaceful voice of their players, a majority black league by the way... I stand with the players... NFL isn't getting a dime from me, already cut cable. If I see it in a TV it wont be on my dime or my ratings. 

Colin Kaepernick is the most important athlete since Ali, mostly because of the POTUS and short sighted NFL ownership. Bravo for elevating the message and power if peaceful protest. Nike sales are booming. Dont be on the wrong side of history 
      Trump and Nike are playing you.
    #1 - dont give a shit about Nike, havent even seen the ad yet

#2 - I'm the one being played by trump? Lol You're the guy that voted for him and has been coming in here the past two years screaming and yelling in his support. Who's getting played? Fucking hilarious, bro
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Name another athlete that has caused this amount of social discussion that we have seen take place the past few years since he quietly took a knee? Feel free to take your time
    CK can thank trump.  Without trump this isn't being talked about anymore.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    I dont disagree, but my question still stands
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    I dont disagree, but my question still stands
    Yeah I’m not arguing that point. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,708
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:
    All I know is the owners voted to stifle peaceful protest by the players and black balled Kaepernick 

I dont think that should be taken lightly, no matter how entertained you are
    Does your job allow you to alienate half their customers?   This isn’t a protest issue.  It’s a job work site issue.  They work for the teams. The owners are allowed to declare rules that they feel protect their business.  

Agreeing or disagreeing with a mediocre QB whose career was already winding down and who then turned down $14 million that he already had guaranteed to him and then whining that his career plan didn’t work is completely besides the point.
    and SCOTUS has ruled speech CANNOT be compelled.
    It’s not a free speech issue. It’s a work place issue.  Liberals need to stop confusing the 2. 

My office has a dress code I must follow.  It has a non-defamation and injury to business policy.   Yes, I can do what I want, but they have every right to prosecute such actions according to those policies as they see fit.  And I don’t even have a contract that says so.  NFL players do.

You can have any opinion you want about the situation including double secret probation, triple lindy boycott.  That’s also your prerogative.   But, in effect all you’re doing is proving why the owners did what they did and are well within their rights to do so to protect their business interests right, wrong or indifferent.
    so to force participation as a work requirement isnt compelling another to particular speech?
    NFL game operations manual from 2017:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

so given Kap didnt play in 2017 , wtf is the point?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Standing for a song has nothing to do with their job or job related duties... uniforms have not been alerted... its peaceful protest and it's as American as apple pie whether you agree with the protest or not... 

Wealthy white owners put some profit over the peaceful voice of their players, a majority black league by the way... I stand with the players... NFL isn't getting a dime from me, already cut cable. If I see it in a TV it wont be on my dime or my ratings. 

Colin Kaepernick is the most important athlete since Ali, mostly because of the POTUS and short sighted NFL ownership. Bravo for elevating the message and power if peaceful protest. Nike sales are booming. Dont be on the wrong side of history 

#2 - I'm the one being played by trump? Lol You're the guy that voted for him and has been coming in here the past two years screaming and yelling in his support. Who's getting played? Fucking hilarious, bro
    I've been screaming and yelling in his support? Please do show.

And regardless, that has nothing to do with the fact that this is a work place issue. If the football players don't want to follow the rules set by their employers, that is their prerogative - that is where freedom of expression exists. None of the owners are arresting their players for kneeling. They are simply enforcing clearly stated work place rules.  The fact that theirs is a public place doesn't change that fact. They may be right, wrong, indifferent in kneeling and where socks that depict police officers as pigs.  Completely besides the point.

BUT - they must also accept the repercussions related to their work place rules as we all must.  

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Full disclosure: im still participating in the 20th year of a fantasy league with my buddies, im not giving that up. Too many good times and too many good friends. My plan is to win it and make money off the NFL this year, not the other way around lol
    And BTW, this is hysterical and exactly what the owners are counting on.  You're still using their product. 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

And regardless, that has nothing to do with the fact that this is a work place issue. If the football players don't want to follow the rules set by their employers, that is their prerogative - that is where freedom of expression exists. None of the owners are arresting their players for kneeling. They are simply enforcing clearly stated work place rules.  The fact that theirs is a public place doesn't change that fact. They may be right, wrong, indifferent in kneeling and where socks that depict police officers as pigs.  Completely besides the point.

BUT - they must also accept the repercussions related to their work place rules as we all must.  

I believe there are boundaries and reasonable expectations that an employer should or must follow when setting expectations and rules... your employer cant just come up with ridiculous rules for you to follow or face termination... what would happen if your employer made you stand for an Elton John song every morning while salutung a picture of the CEO... think that would fly? Would you fall in line? And if they did force you, yiu would be cool with that and just take it? 

I'm sorry but the workplace side of this argument is a lazy and convenient one. 

Its funny to me the "America First" crowd seem to hate peaceful protest so much... while at the same time seem so willing to hand over all control and power to their overlords, their employer! 

Fuck the owners, let your players use their platform peacefully.

And yes, i think its disgusting Kap wore socks depicting police as pigs, I'm actually very pro law enforcement. I just dont see issues as simply black & white, things tend to be a bit more complicated than that 

But feel free to go salute your CEO and stand for Yellow Brick Road
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    Full disclosure: im still participating in the 20th year of a fantasy league with my buddies, im not giving that up. Too many good times and too many good friends. My plan is to win it and make money off the NFL this year, not the other way around lol
    And BTW, this is hysterical and exactly what the owners are counting on.  You're still using their product. 
    I also walked by a TV yesterday while out and saw Saqoun Barkley bust a long TD (OMG!!!!)

My relationship with my friends, and after 20 years of doing this league, is far more important than the NFL. Plus they dint get a dime from it. 

Also  if the Eagles make the playoffs, which they will, I will be likely turning in. Our owner is progressive and supports the players, we also have some of the best outspoken players in the league on this issue with Malcom Jenkins and Chris Long... so once the calendar hits 2019, and my squad is playing for another chip, I will likely support them. 

Of course that wont be pure enough for some in this toxic era where compromise is seen as weakness or hypocritical, but guess what, I dont give AF brother 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Falsely calling people that disagree with you screaming Trump supporters is pretty pathetic, but par for the norm for “some” around here.  I fully agree, though, it is a workplace issue and that alone.  If your contract says that part of your terms of employment are to stand for the National Anthem or not protest while on the clock, then you risk your job by not following those terms.  If a government entity tried to jail you because you refused to stand, that’s a totally separate issue.  Things seem to be working out for Kapernick, regardless, although the Nike thing has just become a joke.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Falsely calling people that disagree with you screaming Trump supporters is pretty pathetic, but par for the norm for “some” around here.  I fully agree, though, it is a workplace issue and that alone.  If your contract says that part of your terms of employment are to stand for the National Anthem or not protest while on the clock, then you risk your job by not following those terms.  If a government entity tried to jail you because you refused to stand, that’s a totally separate issue.  Things seem to be working out for Kapernick, regardless, although the Nike thing has just become a joke.  
    I didn't just make that up, Edson has been a pretty vocal conservative on here for a while and has definitely supported Trump. Given his stance on this issue that seems plausible, no?

The good news is you guys that originally were Trump supporters are slowly walking that back and starting to even deny it lol

Or did you both vote for Hillary? Yeah, I didnt think so lol
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

I didn't just make that up, Edson has been a pretty vocal conservative on here for a while and has definitely supported Trump. Given his stance on this issue that seems plausible, no?

The good news is you guys that originally were Trump supporters are slowly walking that back and starting to even deny it lol

I do not think it is out of line to hold you to some bit of truth.  If you make a statement like that, back it up with some proof, otherwise you are just an asshole trying to make someone else look like an asshole too.
    Show me evidence of either of us screaming and yelling in support of Trump and I may back off.  I, for one, have been critical of him often.  Are you a screaming and yelling Clinton or Bernie supporter?  Maybe or maybe not, but I would not make that claim without something to back it up.
    False accusation and demonizing people does not help you make points and is just disrespectful, frankly.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

I do not think it is out of line to hold you to some bit of truth.  If you make a statement like that, back it up with some proof, otherwise you are just an asshole trying to make someone else look like an asshole too.

Being a Trump supporter is an asshole? Your words, hit mine lol

Sorry, I'm not scouring the AMT on my phone. I post here enough to know what a lot of posters positions are and who they support

Like I said, good to see you Trump guys walking back your support. Unless you did vote for Hillary?

Edson, did you vote for good ol' HRC like I did? :)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Sorry, I'm not scouring the AMT on my phone. I post here enough to know what a lot of posters positions are and who they support

Like I said, good to see you Trump guys walking back your support. Unless you did vote for Hillary?

Wow, didn’t know you were a “screaming and yelling” HRC supporter.  Yes, there are plenty of asshole “screaming and yelling” Trump supporters, but Ed and myself do not fit into those categories from what I’ve observed on the AMT.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Wow, didn’t know you were a “screaming and yelling” HRC supporter.  Yes, there are plenty of asshole “screaming and yelling” Trump supporters, but Ed and myself do not fit into those categories.
    Ok, so let's agree on just "Trump supporter"... we can leave the screaming and telling part iff, until I find some posts lol... feel better now? By the way, what does this have to do with the NFL?

still glad to see you trump supporters walking back that support... is it out of pure embarrassment, or the fact that he's a total jackass that shouldnt have gotten 5 votes, let alone 60 million? :)
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

I believe there are boundaries and reasonable expectations that an employer should or must follow when setting expectations and rules... your employer cant just come up with ridiculous rules for you to follow or face termination... what would happen if your employer made you stand for an Elton John song every morning while salutung a picture of the CEO... think that would fly? Would you fall in line? And if they did force you, yiu would be cool with that and just take it? 

Its funny to me the "America First" crowd seem to hate peaceful protest so much... while at the same time seem so willing to hand over all control and power to their overlords, their employer! 

And yes, i think its disgusting Kap wore socks depicting police as pigs, I'm actually very pro law enforcement. I just dont see issues as simply black & white, things tend to be a bit more complicated than that 

If I was seeking that job, I wouldn't take it as it is indicative of a poorly run organization. If it is my only choice, then maybe I would. Hey, I dig some Levon or Tiny Dancer (the songs, not the optional other meaning of that sentence as funny as that might be) from time to time.  And as long as my direct deposit goes through, and nobody's getting hurt, I might consider it.

But, let's put the silliness aside for a moment.  There are policies my organization has/had that I disagree with. Many I go with b/c it's really not that big a deal. A couple I think are not productive nor conducive to a good work environment. So, I sit down with my boss(es) and maybe HR and have a discussion. and you know what? Sometimes they adjust and sometimes they don't.  

The players claim the NFL is a monopoly. It is not. Why didn't Colin mediocre QB head to the CFL? Pretty much every elite Female Basketball player in the US does exactly that (well, not Canada, but Russia and other non-US based leagues).

And to your characterizations of me, I can save you the time - I am a fiscal conservative and social liberal.  I believe government impacts the former while society fixes the latter.  Therefore, I vote based on a fiscally conservative line realizing many times I have to put with the religious right influence in such a choice. Sort of like the compromises you speak of in your NFL stances. 

In terms of Trump, I've never supported HIM per se.  I have supported his underlying fiscal policies and stances against Political Correctness. However, in terms of stuff like did he sleep with Stormy Daniels and what does a private conversation with a bad tv reporter mean? I don't get distracted by it much like you don't get distracted by Hillary attacking Bill's victims and then saying - well - any wife would do that (which may be true, but she wasn't running for wife - she was running for President).

So, characterize people how you want and use pejorative language to do so, but as you say, stuff is not so black and white. 

Yes, I did vote for Trump. No, I don't support all his shenanigans.  An most certainly, I'm not walking anything back.  And quite frankly, liberals would do themselves quite a bit of good if they put their self righteousness aside and realize they're not always right, nor are they perfectly clean when it comes to all the things they are accusing "them" (whoever them is) about and most people who elected our current President are probably much more like me than the idiots they see on tv.

And for the record, I never watch the National Anthem on an NFL game, and couldn't care less about stand, sit, back flip.  I do think it's a douchey thing to do and counter to what they're trying to accomplish, but it didn't change a single thing in my life. Trump did Colin mediocre QB a favor.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

If I was seeking that job, I wouldn't take it as it is indicative of a poorly run organization. If it is my only choice, then maybe I would. Hey, I dig some Levon or Tiny Dancer (the songs, not the optional other meaning of that sentence as funny as that might be) from time to time.  And as long as my direct deposit goes through, and nobody's getting hurt, I might consider it.

But, let's put the silliness aside for a moment.  There are policies my organization has/had that I disagree with. Many I go with b/c it's really not that big a deal. A couple I think are not productive nor conducive to a good work environment. So, I sit down with my boss(es) and maybe HR and have a discussion. and you know what? Sometimes they adjust and sometimes they don't.  

The players claim the NFL is a monopoly. It is not. Why didn't Colin mediocre QB head to the CFL? Pretty much every elite Female Basketball player in the US does exactly that (well, not Canada, but Russia and other non-US based leagues).

And to your characterizations of me, I can save you the time - I am a fiscal conservative and social liberal.  I believe government impacts the former while society fixes the latter.  Therefore, I vote based on a fiscally conservative line realizing many times I have to put with the religious right influence in such a choice. Sort of like the compromises you speak of in your NFL stances. 

In terms of Trump, I've never supported HIM per se.  I have supported his underlying fiscal policies and stances against Political Correctness. However, in terms of stuff like did he sleep with Stormy Daniels and what does a private conversation with a bad tv reporter mean? I don't get distracted by it much like you don't get distracted by Hillary attacking Bill's victims and then saying - well - any wife would do that (which may be true, but she wasn't running for wife - she was running for President).

So, characterize people how you want and use pejorative language to do so, but as you say, stuff is not so black and white. 

Yes, I did vote for Trump. No, I don't support all his shenanigans.  An most certainly, I'm not walking anything back.  And quite frankly, liberals would do themselves quite a bit of good if they put their self righteousness aside and realize they're not always right, nor are they perfectly clean when it comes to all the things they are accusing "them" (whoever them is) about and most people who elected our current President are probably much more like me than the idiots they see on tv.

And for the record, I never watch the National Anthem on an NFL game, and couldn't care less about stand, sit, back flip.  I do think it's a douchey thing to do and counter to what they're trying to accomplish, but it didn't change a single thing in my life. Trump did Colin mediocre QB a favor.
    I love this post
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    My only issue with @EdsonNascimento post is that I don't know how a fiscal conservative can be pleased with Trump's economic policies.  Fiscal conservatism does not mean tax cuts, without restriction.  It's cowardice to cut taxes without touching defense or entitlements.  But that's a whole other argument that I would love to have with any conservative.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    My only issue with @EdsonNascimento post is that I don't know how a fiscal conservative can be pleased with Trump's economic policies.  Fiscal conservatism does not mean tax cuts, without restriction.  It's cowardice to cut taxes without touching defense or entitlements.  But that's a whole other argument that I would love to have with any conservative.  
    Different thread, but who said I didn't want the government to cut spending?  
  • Options
    Talk about hypocrisy? It’s thick today.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Different thread, but who said I didn't want the government to cut spending?  
    Right, you said you support his fiscal policies.  I consider myself a fiscal conservative, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-entitlement.  But I do believe in balanced budgets and vehemently against his trade policies (if you call those policies), particularly NAFTA, TPP and the tariffs.  So I'm disgusted by his economic policies, honestly.  They are without principle and completely political.  

And for thread integrity, the whole anthem thing is ridiculous.  
  • Options
    I didnt say I agreed with the post, I just said I loved it lol
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:
    All I know is the owners voted to stifle peaceful protest by the players and black balled Kaepernick 

Does your job allow you to alienate half their customers?   This isn’t a protest issue.  It’s a job work site issue.  They work for the teams. The owners are allowed to declare rules that they feel protect their business.  

Agreeing or disagreeing with a mediocre QB whose career was already winding down and who then turned down $14 million that he already had guaranteed to him and then whining that his career plan didn’t work is completely besides the point.
    It’s not a free speech issue. It’s a work place issue.  Liberals need to stop confusing the 2. 

My office has a dress code I must follow.  It has a non-defamation and injury to business policy.   Yes, I can do what I want, but they have every right to prosecute such actions according to those policies as they see fit.  And I don’t even have a contract that says so.  NFL players do.

You can have any opinion you want about the situation including double secret probation, triple lindy boycott.  That’s also your prerogative.   But, in effect all you’re doing is proving why the owners did what they did and are well within their rights to do so to protect their business interests right, wrong or indifferent.
    so to force participation as a work requirement isnt compelling another to particular speech?

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

It doesn't say "must." Should impllies that its not mandatory, that you "should," but you don't have to. If they wanted to be clear, they "should" have stated, "must."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself :)  Only difference on my end is that I don’t watch football anyway, so I really haven’t payed much attention to the kneeling drama.  I support their right to kneel on a 1st Amendment standpoint as well as the owner’s right to fire them for not abiding by the expectations in the contract that they signed.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:

It doesn't say "must." Should impllies that its not mandatory, that you "should," but you don't have to. If they wanted to be clear, they "should" have stated, "must."
    Im just pointing out what the workplace policy is.  They certainly appear to be leaving it up to each individual owner.  This was in response to someone saying it wasn’t a workplace issue but a 1st amendment one. It is a workplace issue and the nfl originally let the owners decide and the owners didn’t care.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    There is a limit on what your employer can make you do.

Standing for a song seems like a stretch to me. I would laugh at my employers and sue when I was terminated, and would likely win

Can your employer make you do 100 jumping jack's every morning while watching sweatin to the oldies? Whats the difference? Some of you guys seem real comfortable just bowing to any employers whims 
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    my2hands said:

Standing for a song seems like a stretch to me. I would laugh at my employers and sue when I was terminated, and would likely win

Can your employer make you do 100 jumping jack's every morning while watching sweatin to the oldies? Whats the difference? Some of you guys seem real comfortable just bowing to any employers whims 
    Still not a 1st Amendment issue.  There are plenty of workplaces that have a “no protest” policy.  You could sue, but would probably lose if it was a term of the contract that you agreed to and signed.  
    If a certain job required you to do “100 jumping jacks every morning sweatin to the oldies”, and you signed a contract saying you would....and then refused to, then they would definitely have the right to end your contract.  It is not about bowing to whims, it is about doing what you said you would do and were comfortable enough agreeing to do when you signed that contract.
    There are legal limits as to what employers can require out of their employees having to do with discrimination, but this does not fall into any of those categories.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

Still not a 1st Amendment issue.  There are plenty of workplaces that have a “no protest” policy.  You could sue, but would probably lose if it was a term of the contract that you agreed to and signed.  
    If a certain job required you to do “100 jumping jacks every morning sweatin to the oldies”, and you signed a contract saying you would....and then refused to, then they would definitely have the right to end your contract.  It is not about bowing to whims, it is about doing what you said you would do and were comfortable enough agreeing to do when you signed that contract.
    There are legal limits as to what employers can require out of their employees having to do with discrimination, but this does not fall into any of those categories.
    There are two other factors here:  
    1. Collective Bargaining Agreement - I doubt a person could just be flat out released for a violation without going through a very defined and public process of arbitration and hearings.
    2. Quality of play - You could not release Kap for this and then if Rodgers did the same thing, not release Rodgers.  So the NFL has a primary interest in keeping its most valuable (read: best) assets on the field.  However, you cannot dole out punishment unequally under the ECOA and like their Agreement.  So if you aren't ready to release every player that does it, you can't release ANY.