Why does Pearl Jam totally disregard Binaural?

Comments

• kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    cwja said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    cwja said:
    rummy said:
    I know mega-fans at the Binaural show in Toronto 2016 would disagree but, trying to speak objectively, the crowd was pretty subdued during its performance. The energy picked up afterwards.

Pretty subdued is an understatement. Personally I’d choose a great set over a great crowd though. Especially in North America. If you’re looking to pay money to watch a crowd, go to Argentina.
    Disagree completely.  You need a balance. Newark 2010 has a fantastic set list but the crowd absolutely sucked which equated to a pretty bad show. Hartford 2010 wasn’t the greatest setlist but my god the crowd!  That show is still one of my favorites.  

It’s admittedly all based on personal tastes. For example, I was at the Ten and Binaural shows that year. Philly crowd was insane for the Ten show, Toronto crowd was dead for the Binaural show. I’d still take the Binaural show, sounds like you’d prefer the Ten. Just different, not better or worse, preferences.
    I was at the Binaural show with a friend who is a PJ fan but not a diehard by any means. When God's Dice came on after Breakerfall I knew what was about to happen and was pretty stoked - but for my friend, the next hour or so was a stretch of songs she didn't know or at best barely knew, and other than Grievance and maybe Insignificance none of them are fast-paced rock songs. So she was really bummed for that entire stretch. Then they played Corduroy/Once/RVM to close the set, first encore had Even Flow, Better Man and Porch and the second encore was Small Town/GTF/SOLAT/Black/Real Me/Alive/RITFW and she had the time of her life.  

How does your friend feel about Binaural now after time to reflect? Does she enjoy it or does she not really pay it much attention?

Just wondered. I would guess at the time she wasn't into it because she didn't know it. But after seeing PJ live, I always MUST get a copy of the show. If she did, she probably listened to it a lot, then gained a deeper appreciation for what she was there to witness.
    I don't think she will ever really be into Binaural - it's not as though she *hated* it, for her it was just a lot of slow-ish songs that she didn't know.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    I was a casual fan until 2014 as I only listened to the first three albums at the time.
    I started to appreciate songs from Binaural after seeing the band played several tracks during the 2014 European tour.
    IMO Binaural songs are definitely better than covers in a setlist for casual fans. And it’s the same for Riot Act and Avocado.
    I agree. No matter what, a PJ original always beats a cover.
  • Might fall into songs that are too complicated to play. Several band members have mentioned liking the easier songs to play somewhere, sometime.
    No way....I play guitar.  None of those songs are anymore difficult to play than RVM, GTF, etc.
    Simple could also mean song structure. RVM is a very simple song structure, with very simple timing,  where as Grievance is not. There’s zero chance anyone in the band (aside from maybe Eddie) would struggle with the playing of any song in their catalogue, but structurally a song with odd timing or strange punctuations might just not be as fun to play.
    Trust me... That's not why. Practice it twice and it's done. 

Yeah, these folks are pros.  And the songs I think Stone was referring to as being more difficult to play live are from the earlier albums like Ten and Vs. 
  • Get_Right said:
    Play Rival you pussies
    Yes, I need this one so bad.  It's just tough when it's only been played 22 times and only 4 times in the last 15 years.  That shouldn't happen, it's not Evil Little Goat or Brother or some other rare track, it's track 10 on their 6th album.

I also can't see the "Dark times for them" argument.  Many of their songs are from tough/dark times.  Like Long Road, etc, but they still get love and status in the set list.

I could hear NAIS, Of The Girl & Parting Ways at every show.  They are huge HITS to me.  If I was guaranteed to get Binaural in its entirety, I would do everything possible to be at that show.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Get_Right said:
    Play Rival you pussies
    Yes, I need this one so bad.  It's just tough when it's only been played 22 times and only 4 times in the last 15 years.  That shouldn't happen, it's not Evil Little Goat or Brother or some other rare track, it's track 10 on their 6th album.

I also can't see the "Dark times for them" argument.  Many of their songs are from tough/dark times.  Like Long Road, etc, but they still get love and status in the set list.

I could hear NAIS, Of The Girl & Parting Ways at every show.  They are huge HITS to me.  If I was guaranteed to get Binaural in its entirety, I would do everything possible to be at that show.
    Same here. Easily one of my favorite albums in their catalogue. Would love to hear Rival myself. Closest I came to having this track was in Miami 2016 and it was scratched! They replaced it with a request from some fans on the rail wanting Tremor Christ which is also a phenomenal track, but Rival would had been amazing. Damn I would love a full Binaural show. 
  • More LBC too!
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    rummy said:
    I was a casual fan until 2014 as I only listened to the first three albums at the time.
    I started to appreciate songs from Binaural after seeing the band played several tracks during the 2014 European tour.
    IMO Binaural songs are definitely better than covers in a setlist for casual fans. And it’s the same for Riot Act and Avocado.
    You'd rather hear Swallowed Whole over Baba at the encore?
  • mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:

I don't really ever want to hear Swallowed Whole at a concert. 
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:

I've heard it several times, alas.  I attended too many shows in 13 and 16 evidently.   The worst was when he would put STBC and then Let the Records Play back to back.  I don't like either song.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    they played all of binaural in toronto 16. it was amazing . probably never going to happen again.
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    That's crazy talk.. I think Baba is a blast every time.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    I'm done with Baba, Alive, Evenflow, RITFW, Yellow Led....

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    Baba is one of their best songs live.  No way can they drop it. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    edited September 2018
    2016 was 3.8%
    2015 was 1.3% 
    2014 was 2.3%
    2013 was 1.9%
    2012 was 1.5%
    2011 was 1.8% - Into the Wild songs were 2.3%!!!
    2010 was 2.6% - Lost Dogs was 5.5%
    2009 was 3.5% - It actually beat another record Riot Act (2.9%)

Post edited by Brisk. on
    edited September 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes. Yes I would - especially if it meant getting all PJ orginals during a given show. When I made my post, I knew I'd get some (deserved?) flack for making such a blanket statement. However, let me add a few items:

Baba is an AMAZING tune. It's probably my favourite PJ cover - in the top 3 for sure.

I've attended eight shows, seen Baba three times, enjoyed all three, but would like something else next time around - IF GIVEN THE CHOICE, which will never happen.

Swallowed Whole is relatively low on my personal "list" and I don't think it would work well at all during an encore - especially near the end of the show.

I was thinking more along the lines of Binaural tunes (thread title) or Riot Act (mentioned a lot in this thread).

Yes, I'd rather hear LBC than Baba next time around. 

I'm in the camp where I never want to hear RITFW again - if given the choice, of course, which will never happen.

Post edited by rummy on
    rummy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes. Yes I would. When I made my post, I knew I'd get some (deserved?) flack for making such a blanket statement. However, let me add a few items:

Baba is an AMAZING tune - it's probably my favourite PJ cover - in the top 3 for sure.

I've attended eight shows, seen Baba three times, enjoyed all three, but would like something else next time around - IF GIVEN THE CHOICE, which will never happen.

Swallowed Whole is relatively low on my personal "list" and I don't think it would work well at all during an encore - especially near the end of the show.

I was thinking more along the lines of Binaural tunes (thread title) or Riot Act (mentioned a lot in this thread).

Yes, I'd rather hear LBC than Baba next time around. 

I'd rather hear LBC 6x in a row than Baba!  But there are plenty of songs from PJ that are below Fuckin' Up, Crown of Thorns, and maybe a few others.  I do agree with Gern that they need to change up how/what they do on encores.  That's grown stale.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    Even Flow and Alive (and Porch) just need to be rotated more - especially during two-night gigs. No need for them to be played both N1 and N2.
    I love seeing them live and I will likely continue to do so as much as possible.  But it does get to a point where even though the setlist is "different" every night it really is just the same 50 songs played on shuffle.  They have a large catalog that they are leaving unheard.

As mentioned....I saw the two Chicago and two Boston shows and (except for Taillights Fade and maybe another cover) I only heard one song live (Tremor Christ) that I had not heard live before.  That just seems odd.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mcgruff10 said:
    cwja said:
    rummy said:
    I know mega-fans at the Binaural show in Toronto 2016 would disagree but, trying to speak objectively, the crowd was pretty subdued during its performance. The energy picked up afterwards.

Pretty subdued is an understatement. Personally I’d choose a great set over a great crowd though. Especially in North America. If you’re looking to pay money to watch a crowd, go to Argentina.
    Disagree completely.  You need a balance. Newark 2010 has a fantastic set list but the crowd absolutely sucked which equated to a pretty bad show. Hartford 2010 wasn’t the greatest setlist but my god the crowd!  That show is still one of my favorites.  
    That Newark show in 2010 was really good because the band played  great. Despite the crowd. GREAT setlist & Great playing by the band equals a great show for me. I was at that Hartford show too, and i agree with you there. FUN show. 

So many good songs on Binnaural . I just don't understand why this album gets ignored. How can they play more covers then they do Binaural? Makes no sense to me.
    I love seeing them live and I will likely continue to do so as much as possible.  But it does get to a point where even though the setlist is "different" every night it really is just the same 50 songs played on shuffle.  They have a large catalog that they are leaving unheard.

As mentioned....I saw the two Chicago and two Boston shows and (except for Taillights Fade and maybe another cover) I only heard one song live (Tremor Christ) that I had not heard live before.  That just seems odd.
    Fatal was the new one for me on the tour.. that was really a surprise considering Missoula was a festival set.  I think that was my only new one from four shows.  
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    mrussel1 said:

Fatal was the new one for me on the tour.. that was really a surprise considering Missoula was a festival set.  I think that was my only new one from four shows.  
    Arms Aloft for me....and of course Evil Little Goat in 3 shows.
    RS65573 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Arms Aloft for me....and of course Evil Little Goat in 3 shows.
    Well if we're counting covers, then I have to throw in Missing and We're Going to be Friends... but I wasn't counting them.  So if you got Arms Aloft, then you got Fatal.  And if that's not your first Fatal, then you are a lucky sombitch.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I mean, NAIS and Help, Help played at Seattle #1. Not sure they are completely disregarding those records. They also played NAIS after an uplifting Jack White cover. Theories out the window. They play what they want to play and outside of Ten and lots of covers, don't lean too heavily on other records.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:

ha!
  • B-GirlB-Girl Posts: 105
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rummy said:
    Yes....
    Me too
  • I know  it's always hard when you want to see special or certain songs but I have found as long as I'm in a good spot with my friend s
    I love all songs....apart from just breathe and  SBM  just unacceptable gig songs. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • The European tour seemingly had a lot more songs.  In particular I noticed that almost all of Riot Act was performed throughout the tour, God’s dice, man of the hour, etc.  I think the American leg just wasn’t as fruitful as it could have been in terms of song selection. I went to Wrigley 1 and Fenway 2-loved both shows but W1 blew F2 out of the water in terms of setlist.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The European tour seemingly had a lot more songs.  In particular I noticed that almost all of Riot Act was performed throughout the tour, God’s dice, man of the hour, etc.  I think the American leg just wasn’t as fruitful as it could have been in terms of song selection. I went to Wrigley 1 and Fenway 2-loved both shows but W1 blew F2 out of the water in terms of setlist.
    15 European shows compared to 7 us shows. Bigger sample in Europe. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Been saying this for a few years...they lean WAY too heavily on songs written 1998 or earlier... 90% of their live shows are now songs that are over 20 years old 

They've become a nostalgia act, and I'm considering retiring from the live scene unless it's very local