Options

Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    ...adding to my previous post, would songs like RVM, Corduroy, and Do The Evolution merit the "classic" label by a casual PJ listener?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    rummy said:
    ...adding to my previous post, would songs like RVM, Corduroy, and Do The Evolution merit the "classic" label by a casual PJ listener?
    To me, corduroy yes but the other two no.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    What about Daughter and Given To Fly - and Small Town?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Public Enemy is in the RRHOF.

"Front man, distinctive voice, check. Sales, check. Mind melting solos, check. Lyrics, check. Live, performances, check. Longevity,  check. Activism/charity, check."

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    LN241653 said:
    Rage anyone? Longevity is a no but the impact they had was huge and the music is just superb, I’d throw system of a down in their too.

bruce
    pj
    rage
    soundgarden
    black crowes
    faith no more?????
    System is unique and badass.  
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    I could research I guess but what exactly qualifies for the RRHOF?..Album sales, hit singles?  Longevity?...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    ShakesckyShakescky Posts: 342
    Foo fighters shouldn’t even have been mentioned.  They’re terrible. Of course it’s my opinion but seriously? Not sure how anyone can take them seriously in a conversation about the best American bands of all time.
    It is odd for me because I wouldn't even see Pearl Jam as the best American Rock Band. I feel like my reasoning is because I grew up watching MTV, and while these bands may show strong longevity over time, it's kind of odd for me to think THIS band is definitive for the USA? I feel the same way about the Foo Fighters despite not being a fan of them. I think it is a toss up between Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Aerosmith.

I wonder if people who grew up with bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd think the same thing as I do. I mean maybe I am in the minority, but it's kind of hard for me to wonder what cements a band into music history. It will be weird when we start seeing Panic at the Disco, Twenty One Pilots, and more as definitive artists of a certain era and location.
    i have witnessed some performances. i have soaked up a lot of memories.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Bruce's catalog is so much more diverse  and consistent than Petty's in my opinion.  Bruce is a much, much better live performer than Petty.  I don't think there would be a reason to see two of Petty's show on a tour, but with Bruce you get a lot better mix of different songs.  Going to a Bruce show is like going to church.  It may have been that Petty's personality was much more reserved/reclusive than Bruce's. 
  • Options
    RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    I've seen Springsteen 17 times since 2000.  Bruce is an incredible artist that defined Arena Rock and coupled with ESB they produced legendary shows.

The thing that I think PJ and Bruce share is "the you never know aspect" of what you're going to hear at a live show.....their catalogues are so deep that nothing would surprise me to hear them pull out.  I always loved that mystique and aspect and while a lot of us may chase Leash or Jungleland, I've always felt that both gave me my money's worth and more usually.  

There are a few others that stand out (Petty, Seger, etc).  However, I'd go with Springsteen and ESB number one for now.  However, I expect PJ to pass them.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Lets settle this once and for all;
    Hootie and the Blowfish.
    Done.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Wobbie said:
    3 pages and not one person mentions Boston in the discussion? 

you’re funny.
    Boston is more legendary than many of the bands being named in here. 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,496
    I think the Hootie singer is more famous with country now.  I still don't know his name, though.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    do my black crowes get extra points for "band members kicked out for heroin abuse"? at least two!

boston.....OMFG. dyer.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Foo fighters shouldn’t even have been mentioned.  They’re terrible. Of course it’s my opinion but seriously? Not sure how anyone can take them seriously in a conversation about the best American bands of all time.
    This comment is ridiculous.

They're massive and have been massive for years.
    I’m not going to argue with you but I just meant that there’s bands like Bruce Springsteen, the doors, Petty, Aerosmith, the eagles, etc.  don’t think that the foo fighters are in the same class- didn’t mean to be ridiculous or disrespectful.

heres a random list I found because I was curious.  Looks like it’s voted on by fans? I don’t know, but eagles are #1 and FF are #34.

https://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-american-rock-bands
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    3 pages and not one person mentions Boston in the discussion? 

you’re funny.
    Boston is more legendary than many of the bands being named in here. 
    Agreed.

But they aren't candidates for best American band of all time.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

I’m not going to argue with you but I just meant that there’s bands like Bruce Springsteen, the doors, Petty, Aerosmith, the eagles, etc.  don’t think that the foo fighters are in the same class- didn’t mean to be ridiculous or disrespectful.

heres a random list I found because I was curious.  Looks like it’s voted on by fans? I don’t know, but eagles are #1 and FF are #34.

The top of that list is respectable and then things get goofy (eg. Steve Miller Band).
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148

The top of that list is respectable and then things get goofy (eg. Steve Miller Band).
    Yeah that’s a weird one.  ZZ Top also is kind of random!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Bob Marley and The Coral Reefers.
  • Options
    or was it Wailers?  Wait he wasn't born here.  LOL
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yeah, that half a good album that Boston put out definitely puts them in the discussion. Way I see it there’s only room for one band named after a city or state and they’re a distant third behind Chicago and Kansas.
  • Options
    Prince and the Revolution?  Dire Straits?
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Yeah that’s a weird one.  ZZ Top also is kind of random!
    Both have quite a few stone cold classic radio songs. They don’t make the discussion for me, but I bet a big fan of them could make a solid case.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    ZZ Tops best stuff is before their MTV hits and is pretty damn impressive.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Prince and the Revolution?  Dire Straits?
    Dire Straits aren’t American
  • Options
    I like that Ranker list. Some head scratchers, but it does get something of a bead on a fairly broad demographic. 
  • Options
    Billy Joel Band?  Metallica?
  • Options
    I think Metallica is a top 5 no doubter. One of the biggest bands on the planet for the last 30 years. Massively influential early on. There’s no good argument to be made against them.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    I think Metallica is a top 5 no doubter. One of the biggest bands on the planet for the last 30 years. Massively influential early on. There’s no good argument to be made against them.
    They are definitely a solid candidate. No questions.
  • Options
    ZZ Tops best stuff is before their MTV hits and is pretty damn impressive.
    De Guello and El Loco are two awesome albums. 

I bought Eliminator on cassette in grade 10. Then on vinyl. Then on CD.

Things kinda slid a bit from there. But a great band. Not the US's best ever... but a really really good band.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    What about Daughter and Given To Fly - and Small Town?
    Classic: daughter yes.  GTF and small town....border line.  I think everyone knows them but they could be just a razor thin line below classic.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......