Best American Rock Band Ever

Comments

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Public Enemy

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,496
    I don't even think FF has as many classic songs as PJ does off Ten.  The catalogue isn't even comparable, in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, I like FF and the Sound City doc is one of my all time faves, but for songs and live experience, it's two different levels for me.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't even think FF has as many classic songs as PJ does off Ten.  The catalogue isn't even comparable, in my opinion.  Don't get me wrong, I like FF and the Sound City doc is one of my all time faves, but for songs and live experience, it's two different levels for me.
    I think if you try to be more objective you’d realize that FF have a lot more songs destined for or already on classic rock radio. I can’t think of many bands that have as many recognizable as FF. Not sure PJ even has double digits and half those come from Ten. I’m talking songs you could hum to the average listener and they’d get recognized instantly.

Also, Foo Fighters are widely held as one of the best live bands around. Of course nobody here agrees with that, but subjectivity aside, they’re every bit PJs equal.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Tiki said:
    Public Enemy

Stirring the pot: Are they "rock?"
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    DewieCox said:
    I think if you try to be more objective you’d realize that FF have a lot more songs destined for or already on classic rock radio. I can’t think of many bands that have as many recognizable as FF. Not sure PJ even has double digits and half those come from Ten. I’m talking songs you could hum to the average listener and they’d get recognized instantly.

Also, Foo Fighters are widely held as one of the best live bands around. Of course nobody here agrees with that, but subjectivity aside, they’re every bit PJs equal.
    Foos are solid but I have always felt they they were a bit derivative...a second generation modern rock band. Sure, even PJ and Nirvana had their influences but I think the fact that Grohl, as talented as he is, and the Foos success was definitely aided by him being the drummer of Nirvana. Of course, Nirvana became "big" before Pearl Jam so I guess an argument could be made that PJ were successful because they were from Seattle, just like Nirvana.

Crap. I'm/we're off topic and going in circles. There's no ending this conversation!
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Also, although huge at the time I don’t think Vs is considered all that iconic. 
    Maybe so but if Vs is not iconic then I don't think any Foo Fighter album is either. 

Daughter, Small Town, and RVM (I think) stand up just as well, if not better than any trio of tunes from any of the FF albums. I think their best trio of songs from a single album (and it's a VERY sold trio) would be Everlong, My Hero, and Monkey Wrench. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    rummy said:
    Tiki said:
    Public Enemy

as far as I'm concerned they are.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    rummy said:
    Tiki said:
    Public Enemy

Can you call them a Band? (when no one plays a instrument)
  • Options
    cutz said:
    rummy said:
    Tiki said:
    Public Enemy

Can you call them a Band? (when no one plays a instrument)
    This is my mindset.

They fall into the 'barber shop quartet' genre.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,496
    All I know is I have seen PJ live probably over 30 times by now and it's always magical.  Euphoria.  Didn't have that experience with FF but I do enjoy them and Grohl is certainly in unique company for playing in two legendary bands (akin to Paul McCartney with Beatles and Wings...maybe that's why they get along so well, LOL).
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited August 2018
    You can be the OP and still be wrong.  :)

Hating Aerosmith and not considering them for this?
    razy!

Like the thread and everyone can certainly have their own opinions!

21 pilots and ID stink 
    Muse is from England.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    fruuppfruupp Posts: 88
    Frank Zappa for me.
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    Any love for Warren Zevon...??
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    The thing with Foo Fighters is that only a few albums are great front to back (selt-titled, colour and the shape, wasting light), but there's a few great songs on every album.  Thus when they play live they play a greatest hits type set, but they do have a lot of songs to draw on.
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    I’m not even a huge fan of theirs but the answer is the Grateful Dead. Just can’t touch the impact. Jazz + lsd, can’t get more American than that. 
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Journey 
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    Journey 

they’re a Filipino band :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Van Halen
    Hendrix
    Aerosmith
    GnR
    Petty
    Boss
    DMB
    Foo Fighters
    Pearl Jam

Pick from there i think.  Sustained success/popularity.  Lots of recognizable hits that percolated into all demographics.  International success.  Ability to sell out large venues well after peak.  
  • Options
    What an easy question...from Macon Georgia, The Allman Brothers Band
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I actually ended up seeing the eagles several years ago at ACL just because I had tickets and they were one of the headliners. Never cared for them at all but have to give them massive respect- it was like a setlists of songs that I didn’t even know were there’s and EVERY SONG was a huge hit- like every song I knew just from radio play.  I was shocked.  They have written a huge pile of massive hits.  I’d give them reluctantly a slot above Bruce just because the sheer amount of massive hits they have.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Sorry to bring up the R&R HoF again but this article might add to the conversation: http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-artists-ranked-from-best-to-worst.html
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Foo fighters shouldn’t even have been mentioned.  They’re terrible. Of course it’s my opinion but seriously? Not sure how anyone can take them seriously in a conversation about the best American bands of all time.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Foo fighters shouldn’t even have been mentioned.  They’re terrible. Of course it’s my opinion but seriously? Not sure how anyone can take them seriously in a conversation about the best American bands of all time.
    This comment is ridiculous.

They're massive and have been massive for years.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Starts with Pearl, ends with Jam.
  • Options
    RM162643RM162643 Posts: 36
    Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead
    St. Paul, MN 06/16/2003 
    St. Paul, MN 06/26/2006
    MPLS, MN 07/02/2011 EV
    St. Paul, MN 10/19/2014 
    Missoula, MT 08/13/2018 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    RM162643 said:
    Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead
    Led Zeppelin is many things but an American rock band is not one of them.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    RM162643RM162643 Posts: 36
    Lol, thanks Jimmy...I missed that "American" part...  I'll change it to PJ, Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Doors. 

St. Paul, MN 06/16/2003 
    St. Paul, MN 06/26/2006
    MPLS, MN 07/02/2011 EV
    St. Paul, MN 10/19/2014 
    Missoula, MT 08/13/2018 
  • Options
    The resume is pretty identical to PJ’s. Only difference is PJ doesn’t have the number of classic songs and FF don’t have the classic albums.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    Van Halen
    Hendrix
    Aerosmith
    GnR
    Petty
    Boss
    DMB
    Foo Fighters
    Pearl Jam

Pick from there i think.  Sustained success/popularity.  Lots of recognizable hits that percolated into all demographics.  International success.  Ability to sell out large venues well after peak.  
    Get rid of the 4 most recent and you have a very solid top 5.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    The resume is pretty identical to PJ’s. Only difference is PJ doesn’t have the number of classic songs and FF don’t have the classic albums.
    Let's go deeper here. As someone who doesn't listen to the radio anymore, which FF songs would be considered "classics?" I'm here to be informed, not argue.