Options

Missoula Poster

Comments

• Options
    THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    JimmyV said:
    Thoughts and prayers to those gentle conservative snowflakes who are so deeply triggered by a rock band's concert poster.

"..to find the comfort in this world."
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    JimmyV said:
    Thoughts and prayers to those gentle conservative snowflakes who are so deeply triggered by a rock band's concert poster.

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    edited August 2018
    3days said:
    The way I interpreted this poster was that the White House has become a dumpster fire, with the President becoming a victim of his own ignorance.

I don't agree that the purpose of this poster was to condone violence. I'm disappointed by one aspect of what Tester's spokesman said: "We don't like it". That person seemed to imply that they don't like it, because they feel it condones violence. 

How does it condone violence?

I'm chalking it up to projection. When one's own preferred solutions are violent, violence becomes the currency in which you assume everyone else trades.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    MW3384 said:
    There are a lot more Pearl Jam fans that are Trump supporters then some believe maybe even the band; not saying I am; however, I can see how these fans feel alienated between graphic posters and Ed’s rants about Trump. I will say the Trump tax cuts saved my family’s business and 20 employees from losing their job. Obama’s policies of healthcare and over regulation of small business almost caused our 50 year old business to shut down. I also believe there are a number of Pearl Jam fans that will just follow the bands ideas on politics just because their fans. Let’s be clear “it’s a rock the vote for Democrats ideals not a just get out and vote” concert. I am a libertarian but can see both sides. I will say it’s a shame that someone can’t be a Pearl Jam fan and support the other side without being alienated.  There’s no denying Trump has done more in two years with improving the economy, helping vets, and reducing the threat of terror than Obama had in 8 years. At the Chicago shows maybe Pearl Jam will focus their efforts on bringing down a corrupt mayor who is allowing more murders of young black youth than anywhere in the country with the strictest gun control in the US. I guess the theme for the next posters should be dead black youth scattered in the streets with the mayor of Chicago holding a gun. 
    trump supporters bring the alienation on themselves. trump is a willfully ignorant, dysfunctional, corrupt, narcissistic, xenophobic bigot who is inept at his job. trump supporters defend all of this either by their blatant support of trump and his policies, or the blind denial of the traits I just listed. 

I think there's a fair amount of closeted Trump supporters out there; people that don't want to be made fun of (or worse) for supporting him. Maybe to a degree, MW3384 is one of them. He says he doesn't support Trump. But what does the word "support" mean anyway these days? It seems to mean "I blindly agree with everything this guy says and does." That's the "Trump Supporter" people think of wearing a MAGA hat and chanting "Build the wall." But what if someone believed, as I think MW3384 may, "I think he's a bigoted, corrupt, classless, embarrassment to our country....but his tax cuts saved my family business from going under so he's got my vote in 2020." Would that be blatant support of xenophobic bigotry? Or just using his vote his own good?
    It’s accepting bigotry for a perceived personal gain.  
    Perceived personal gain? 20 of his employees would have lost their job and his business might have gone under. That's his livelihood, his family's livelihood and the livelihood of 20 other people. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    were taxes on small businesses increased recently?  
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Bant said:9
    Bant said:
    trump supporters bring the alienation on themselves. trump is a willfully ignorant, dysfunctional, corrupt, narcissistic, xenophobic bigot who is inept at his job. trump supporters defend all of this either by their blatant support of trump and his policies, or the blind denial of the traits I just listed. 
    That’s some hilarious projection.

If you want to cure your willful ignorance, start listening to Dan Bonginos podcast everyday.

https://youtu.be/dE5gfLo75ME
    I’d rather have you cure my ignorance. 
    I’m not going to hold your hand.

But FYI, he’s a former secret service agent for Obama and Bush.
    From his own website.... "Making the world a better place by debunking one liberal myth at a time".

He's a right wing conservative Republican "debunking liberal myths" which means he wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the face. Or know anything about believable, provable, and verifiable facts.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    First...tax cuts don't save a business.  Taxes are based on profits.  If you are profitable you pay tax, if you aren't profitable you don't.  If you are paying taxes then you are making money...

Second...you only have 20 employees.  The ACA only requires you to provide health insurance when you have 50 employees.

Pretty much everything you typed here is bullshit.

This is false.  Tax cuts absolutely increase profit margins for businesses.  Yes, if you are profitable, you pay taxes.  However, you need to be making a certain threshold of profit to STAY in business.  Tax cuts increase those margins and thus certainly could have (and I'm sure did) save some businesses.  The post cited deregulation, also a huge element. 

I did not vote for the President and am not in favor of his tax plan, but I find your dismissal of poster's personal account insulting.

Yep.  Acting as if a tax cut of 14% is nothing is just plain rude to be rude.  I know personally as a small business owner it allowed me to hike up salaries by 10% and use the remaining 4% to help pay off business’s loans.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    RBAlive2727RBAlive2727 Posts: 97
    edited September 2018
    WoW! I have never seen so many smart people in my life on here. Seems like everybody has gotten it figured out politically. [http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines] Everything is fine. Sun shines tomorrow, electricity is still running, beer and weed is still amazing, life goes on and Trump will still be in office. Get over it or make a change by running for local office, vote, leave the country, whatever. All I know is that there is a show in Chicago tomorrow and Ed is going to tear the fucking roof off the place. He was so intense/angry in Missoula it was awesome. 
    Post edited by Sea on
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    MW3384 said:
    There are a lot more Pearl Jam fans that are Trump supporters then some believe maybe even the band; not saying I am; however, I can see how these fans feel alienated between graphic posters and Ed’s rants about Trump. I will say the Trump tax cuts saved my family’s business and 20 employees from losing their job. Obama’s policies of healthcare and over regulation of small business almost caused our 50 year old business to shut down. I also believe there are a number of Pearl Jam fans that will just follow the bands ideas on politics just because their fans. Let’s be clear “it’s a rock the vote for Democrats ideals not a just get out and vote” concert. I am a libertarian but can see both sides. I will say it’s a shame that someone can’t be a Pearl Jam fan and support the other side without being alienated.  There’s no denying Trump has done more in two years with improving the economy, helping vets, and reducing the threat of terror than Obama had in 8 years. At the Chicago shows maybe Pearl Jam will focus their efforts on bringing down a corrupt mayor who is allowing more murders of young black youth than anywhere in the country with the strictest gun control in the US. I guess the theme for the next posters should be dead black youth scattered in the streets with the mayor of Chicago holding a gun. 

I think there's a fair amount of closeted Trump supporters out there; people that don't want to be made fun of (or worse) for supporting him. Maybe to a degree, MW3384 is one of them. He says he doesn't support Trump. But what does the word "support" mean anyway these days? It seems to mean "I blindly agree with everything this guy says and does." That's the "Trump Supporter" people think of wearing a MAGA hat and chanting "Build the wall." But what if someone believed, as I think MW3384 may, "I think he's a bigoted, corrupt, classless, embarrassment to our country....but his tax cuts saved my family business from going under so he's got my vote in 2020." Would that be blatant support of xenophobic bigotry? Or just using his vote his own good?
    Perceived personal gain? 20 of his employees would have lost their job and his business might have gone under. That's his livelihood, his family's livelihood and the livelihood of 20 other people. 
    It's funny to hear this armchair idealist disregard that 20 people could've of lost their jobs. People are fucked up. "Me, me, me and my beliefs" are more important than 20 people being able to pay their rent? WTF? If this person "credits" Trump for them keeping their jobs (whether it's true or not), you've gotta use civility and empathy as human being.
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    MW3384 said:
    Sure, anyone with facts can deny that Trump has done more for the economy than Obama. The rate of economic growth has not improved, nor has the rate of addition of new jobs. The economy has been good and improving for quite some time now. Trump supporters would be more credible if they acknowledged that. 

The economy started to improve when Obama took office in 2008. The DJIA was at around 7,000 when he took office and was over 20,000 when he left office. Employment had consistent gains in Obama's term too. Let's not forget it was also Obama who stepped up to kill Osama bin Laden, something Bush couldn't do because he was too obsessed with  fighting the wrong war. He also managed to get a lot done in the face of an arrogant house who tried to block his every move. While you can say your family is benefiting from the tax cuts, many Americans aren't and won't. So please don't say he's done "more than Obama" because you're completely blinded in your own little world. Trump is a dictator throwing us into a constitutional crisis. No concept of how a democracy works. And please don't get too comfortable with this economy. There are red flags if you look close enough.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 said:
    MW3384 said:
    Sure, anyone with facts can deny that Trump has done more for the economy than Obama. The rate of economic growth has not improved, nor has the rate of addition of new jobs. The economy has been good and improving for quite some time now. Trump supporters would be more credible if they acknowledged that. 

The economy started to improve when Obama took office in 2008. The DJIA was at around 7,000 when he took office and was over 20,000 when he left office. Employment had consistent gains in Obama's term too. Let's not forget it was also Obama who stepped up to kill Osama bin Laden, something Bush couldn't do because he was too obsessed with  fighting the wrong war. He also managed to get a lot done in the face of an arrogant house who tried to block his every move. While you can say your family is benefiting from the tax cuts, many Americans aren't and won't. So please don't say he's done "more than Obama" because you're completely blinded in your own little world. Trump is a dictator throwing us into a constitutional crisis. No concept of how a democracy works. And please don't get too comfortable with this economy. There are red flags if you look close enough.
    Red Flags? You must be the smartest person alive or God himself. Economy---you never going to fucking no what is going to happen. Just shut up with your red flags nonsense. You were pry the one who said it was going to tank when Trump took office. Like I said in my previous post....shut up please. 
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    triggered

did i do that right?
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    MayDay10 said:
    triggered

did i do that right?

Bingo
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    MayDay10 said:
    triggered

did i do that right?
    Close 
    I believe what you were looking for was.....

Virtue signaling snowflakes were triggered
  • Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    PJGirl321 said:
    MW3384 said:

Red Flags? You must be the smartest person alive or God himself. Economy---you never going to fucking no what is going to happen. Just shut up with your red flags nonsense. You were pry the one who said it was going to tank when Trump took office. Like I said in my previous post....shut up please. 

LOL....this is funny. No never thought it would tank. I'm not saying anymore, but unless you are an Economist you're in no position to make that comment you did. And if you are going to comment at least be intelligent about it.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    PJGirl321 said:
    MW3384 said:

We have a really good idea with what’s going to happen with the economy. It’s not a mystery to look at the cyclical nature of it.  
  • Options
    MW3384 said:

It's funny to hear this armchair idealist disregard that 20 people could've of lost their jobs. People are fucked up. "Me, me, me and my beliefs" are more important than 20 people being able to pay their rent? WTF? If this person "credits" Trump for them keeping their jobs (whether it's true or not), you've gotta use civility and empathy as human being.
    I was using civility and empathy. People are giving trump a pass and ignoring the negatives because of what they see as benefits from the tax cuts. Empathize with the negative effects of trump and be honest is what I ask. E.g. “sure he’s a bigot, but my struggling business is struggling less because he signed a republican tax cut”. 

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    PJ_Soul said:
    We should keep in mind that this is barely even a blip on the radar outside of our PJ bubble, which has magnified the story for us. It's not like this poster is being discussed on all the local news stations or anything - I've only actually seen it mentioned at all by music websites, like NME and Consequence of Sound. Supposedly FOX News mentioned it, but who the fuck cares what FOX News says anyhow? ... This morning, on my local Canadian news, they were still talking about Omarosa. I'm pretty sure Trump is scared shitless of what she may have recorded, lol, and that is probably taking precedence over some rock poster out of Missoula.
    I thought the same thing. If I wasn't a huge PJ fan I don't think I would have heard of it. I asked my wife last night if she knew about it, and she's a stay at home mom and watches a lot of morning news by herself and in the evenings with me. She had no clue what I was talking about.
    Hasn't popped up on any of the news I watch. I throw in a little Fox now and then and it hasn't been brought up. When I looked it up I think some of the daytime people talked about it more, but most of us are working.
  • Options
    BRONDOBRONDO Columbus, OH Posts: 399
    On my local news last night, Columbus Ohio
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Yo Jeff... 

I have your back.
  • Options
    Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    Just got back from Missoula.  What a great time and great town.  I think I hit up each brewery while I was there.  Met some really cool people from all over the country.  Was able to get some fly fishing in and do some sight seeing as well.  Can't wait until Boston.
  • Options
    justBE23justBE23 Posts: 44
    I have so much respect for Jeff and the band for making such a bold statement.  The imagery in the Missoula poster reflects this time of crisis for our democracy, which has been getting systematically ripped apart for the past two years.  Our 1st Ammendment rights are worth fighting for, so thanks Jeff and fellow artist for adding your voices.

To me, the political and social messages in Pearl Jam’s music are a big part of what give it it’s amazing energy and relevance, and the band’s strong displays of activisim inspire me every day.  Sending love and gratitude out to PJ for all they do to try to make this world a better place!
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    WoW! I have never seen so many smart people in my life on here. Seems like everybody has gotten it figured out politically. For fuck sake can all you dildos just let it go. Everything is fine. Sun shines tomorrow, electricity is still running, beer and weed is still amazing, life goes on and Trump will still be in office. Get over it or make a change by running for local office, vote, leave the country, whatever. All I know is that there is a show in Chicago tomorrow and Ed is going to tear the fucking roof off the place. He was so intense/angry in Missoula it was awesome. 
    This.

And, I wish there was a roof on the place cuz I'm going to Monday's show :)

Big fan of this poster, and like many, don't see that it is meant to incite violence. I will say that it doesn't matter the political leaning, successes or failures of Trump. What I can't get over is the way he operates and gets a pass on the sewage that spills from his mind on an almost daily basis. I can disagree with his policies, no matter what they are, and deal with that because he got elected (no matter the avenue). It's just unbelievable that this guy represents our country. If he were just a network executive, he'd been long ousted. It will be interesting what he gets hit with once his presidency is over.

It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    3days said:
    The way I interpreted this poster was that the White House has become a dumpster fire, with the President becoming a victim of his own ignorance.

I don't agree that the purpose of this poster was to condone violence. I'm disappointed by one aspect of what Tester's spokesman said: "We don't like it". That person seemed to imply that they don't like it, because they feel it condones violence. 

How does it condone violence?
    100%. The way that people are ignoring symbolism is just sad.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    So when the hell is the dumpster fire White House poster going to be available online?  No one seems to know if Bobby brown even sells signed copies?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,174
    Who needs SiriousXM?
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    GT173568GT173568 Chicago, IL Posts: 4
    I applaud Jeff & the boys for what I feel is an outstanding expression of free speech in regards to what is being considered their controversial poster.  I don't find it to be glorifying or embracing violence, but rather an accurate depiction of where our country is heading under this current "administration".  It's bad enough that Trump is an absolute moronic clown, but the fact that he is both evil and unintelligent is a recipe for exactly what is shown in the poster.

Thank you to the band for not only their music, but their tireless efforts to improve the quality of life.

See you at Wrigley.
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    MW3384 said:

I was using civility and empathy. People are giving trump a pass and ignoring the negatives because of what they see as benefits from the tax cuts. Empathize with the negative effects of trump and be honest is what I ask. E.g. “sure he’s a bigot, but my struggling business is struggling less because he signed a republican tax cut”. 

Okay...I can buy that argument. My view on politics is similar to art. Trump is an asshole but so am I sometimes. Some of Trump'spolicies might benefit people, but I feel many do not. So I can't wait to vote for someone other than Trump in 2020.

Same in art - I can like the artwork and separate the artist. I like Picasso's artwork, but he treated women like dirt. I like some Ted Nugent's songs, but his politics - no way. I love Pearl Jam's music and agree with them "most of the time" on politics. Life is all shades of grey - not black and white people.
  • Options
    MW3384 said:

Okay...I can buy that argument. My view on politics is similar to art. Trump is an asshole but so am I sometimes. Some of Trump'spolicies might benefit people, but I feel many do not. So I can't wait to vote for someone other than Trump in 2020.

Same in art - I can like the artwork and separate the artist. I like Picasso's artwork, but he treated women like dirt. I like some Ted Nugent's songs, but his politics - no way. I love Pearl Jam's music and agree with them "most of the time" on politics. Life is all shades of grey - not black and white people.
    It is grey, but you’re making it black and white with your comparison of separating it out like you do an artist and his music. That doesn’t work in the role of president, especially when he’s a full blown naricissist. What’s coming out of the white house, policies, appointments, and decisions, are an extension of trump’s personality. That’s how he works, and the position itself doesn’t allow much of a separation of work and personality. He’s not working the fryer at Burger King. 

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited August 2018
    RobZ said:
    As a staunch Independent, I can honestly say I've voted all over the card during the past several years, and my vote is always up for grabs, every cycle....however, Democrats better begin to understand why, after eight years of Obama, and with Hillary on deck to continue his legacy,  how they lost the Presidency, the House, the Senate, two Supreme Court Justices, and over 1000 other democrat state-legislative seats nation-wide.  Hard to belive such a crushing defeat could be delt if the Democrats were doing such a great job, no?  So with the Nov elections right around the  corner, I have to wonder, what is the Democrat campaign platform?...Anybody?? I ask, becuase I dont think anybody really knows!!...I've yet to hear any of the party leaders spell it out!  The current state of the Democrat Party appears dysfunctional and broken, and I got news for them, simply being anti-Trump and screaming "Russia", is not going to win any elections....heck, it may just allow Trump another term.  
    The Dems are done.  By the time Trump, Jr is president, we’ll be well down the road to authoritarianism.  But most people will still support it.

As for Trump supporters being alienated, I guess PJ is just not a safe space.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin