Options

GA Line etiquette

2»

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    100 Pacer said:
    You gotta scheme if you want an Ed tambourine!
    You gotta plot of you want a prime Mike pick spot.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I would be upset if people who had not been waiting got in line ahead of me.  Cutting the line is not cool. Period.
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    nothing matters unless you have a number on your hand
    Exactly.   But this is exactly why there starts to be clicks making rules and creating a "list" for the GA line.  It's just like everything else on this board; everyone thinks they can make the rules from GA lines to what the band should be playing to how they should be playing to who should sit and who should stand.   Go to the fucking show and worry about yourself without being an asshole instead of telling everyone what they can and cannot do.  If you don't like it when things aren't exactly they way you think they should be stay the fuck home.      
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    mattsavardmattsavard Posts: 518
    steved said:
    LV129547 said:
    I see nothing wrong with holding a place for the person you are going to the show with if you can get there early.  Not everyone has an entire day free.

The closer to the front you are the more strict the unwritten rules are. In the first 50 people or less your spot is when you arrive, period. The only exception would be holding the spot for your plus one for maybe a half an hour or so. (They are in the cab / uber) on their way or dropping your stuff off at the hotel.

I will give you an example. My wife arrived Sunday for the Wednesday Seattle show, I arrived Monday. She was #4 in line, I was around #30. We hung together in the #4 spot and slept in the same spot but when it was gates open I went in in the #30 spot, she went in the #4 spot.
    #5 thru #29 would not have been cool with me going in with her. Not at all! I met up with her once inside and we watched the show together. You can always be right behind the person you want to watch the show with, but entering the venue is the spot where you arrive.

Night two we went right from the first show to get on line. Some of us made it out of the venue before our partners. It was only a couple of minutes. That was no issue. There were a couple of people that had arrived and wanted to hold spots for their other 3 friends. That didn't fly. They could hold the spot for one person, and the other 2 were in the place in line where they arrived.

This is consistent with about a dozen shows I have camped out for PJ shows.

Again, as you go farther back people are less strict about it in my experience. The issue is you only need one person right behind you but before your friends spot to get upset. Then it is unfair to push them back.

If everyone could hold a spot for their plus one you could be #25 in line and now you are #50. That is the difference between being on the rail or not. Seeing as that is many people camp out, it is just not fare to them.
    This Is the answer. Well said. 

To the “NO GA” people:
    If you don’t like GA protocol, there is an option to buy Reserved seats. LOTs of PJ fans love GA, hence why they are the MOST sought after tickets every show. You can’t dispute that.

Choice is good. GA folks get their wish. Reserved folks get their wish. Everyone wins. 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    pjl44 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    (quietly votes for seats upfront instead of a ga pit)

(quietly agrees, loved the setup for Fenway 2016 with all seats on the field level)
    I'll third that. When I've had GA, I go in well after doors. The lining up and the holding territory is way too much stress.
    I prefer no GA myself.  I wouldn't even mind them randomizing a lot of prime seats to mix it up.  People are now waiting numerous days in line, on city streets.  This opens the door for potential issues.  Not to mention, there is going to be a fist-fight before long. Waiting in line to reserve and preserve a "spot" in the GA area is a little strange and almost defeats the purpose and function of GA.

I am also seeing a lot of the same faces at the front of the GA line (based on FB pics) for many-a-show.  Not sure how people acquire the quantity of GA tickets, nor do I know how people have the time to spend in lines for days on end.  

As far as getting in line 1st and a person joining you a little later.... everyone has covered the bases already.  Its not awful.  Especially being far back like noon on show-day.  If everyone does it it would suck. 
  • Options
    steved said:
    LV129547 said:
    I see nothing wrong with holding a place for the person you are going to the show with if you can get there early.  Not everyone has an entire day free.

The closer to the front you are the more strict the unwritten rules are. In the first 50 people or less your spot is when you arrive, period. The only exception would be holding the spot for your plus one for maybe a half an hour or so. (They are in the cab / uber) on their way or dropping your stuff off at the hotel.

I will give you an example. My wife arrived Sunday for the Wednesday Seattle show, I arrived Monday. She was #4 in line, I was around #30. We hung together in the #4 spot and slept in the same spot but when it was gates open I went in in the #30 spot, she went in the #4 spot.
    #5 thru #29 would not have been cool with me going in with her. Not at all! I met up with her once inside and we watched the show together. You can always be right behind the person you want to watch the show with, but entering the venue is the spot where you arrive.

Night two we went right from the first show to get on line. Some of us made it out of the venue before our partners. It was only a couple of minutes. That was no issue. There were a couple of people that had arrived and wanted to hold spots for their other 3 friends. That didn't fly. They could hold the spot for one person, and the other 2 were in the place in line where they arrived.

This is consistent with about a dozen shows I have camped out for PJ shows.

Again, as you go farther back people are less strict about it in my experience. The issue is you only need one person right behind you but before your friends spot to get upset. Then it is unfair to push them back.

If everyone could hold a spot for their plus one you could be #25 in line and now you are #50. That is the difference between being on the rail or not. Seeing as that is many people camp out, it is just not fare to them.
    This Is the answer. Well said. 

To the “NO GA” people:
    If you don’t like GA protocol, there is an option to buy Reserved seats. LOTs of PJ fans love GA, hence why they are the MOST sought after tickets every show. You can’t dispute that.

Choice is good. GA folks get their wish. Reserved folks get their wish. Everyone wins. 

If there was an option for "reserved" and "reserved first 24 rows", just as many would choose the 2nd option as they choose GA.
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,091
    LOTs of PJ fans love GA, hence why they are the MOST sought after tickets every show. You can’t dispute that.
    They're the most sought after ticket because it's the floor. I don't think you'd have those same people looking for lowers if the floor was reserved. People want to be close to the band and GA is the closest
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    nothing matters unless you have a number on your hand
    Exactly.   But this is exactly why there starts to be clicks making rules and creating a "list" for the GA line.  It's just like everything else on this board; everyone thinks they can make the rules from GA lines to what the band should be playing to how they should be playing to who should sit and who should stand.   Go to the fucking show and worry about yourself without being an asshole instead of telling everyone what they can and cannot do.  If you don't like it when things aren't exactly they way you think they should be stay the fuck home.      
    +1
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    How much of a difference would be expected between lining up at 10:00 or 11:00 am on show day as opposed to going in right at 5:00?  I know no one has the crystal ball, but roughly, assuming more towards Mike or Stones side. Less than 10 rows deep by lining up in the morning and 10-15 deep going in at 5:00? 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,005
    I can't believe people line up 3 or 4 days early.
    If I was homeless I guess I'd consider it.
    Only did GA once, Wrigley 13, got there maybe 2 hours before the show and only had about 15 people between the stage and me, that isn't worth giving up several days in a cool city.

Just get there with your friend, its not worth the wait or worth pissing off the people who did get there early.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    If you end up off to the side in GA where there is more room to roam is the angle/view that bad?  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    How much of a difference would be expected between lining up at 10:00 or 11:00 am on show day as opposed to going in right at 5:00?  I know no one has the crystal ball, but roughly, assuming more towards Mike or Stones side. Less than 10 rows deep by lining up in the morning and 10-15 deep going in at 5:00? 
    Wrigley 2016:  I had friends that walked in the GA gate right before show time and were 8-9 rows back from the rail.   
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    Wrigley 2016:  I had friends that walked in the GA gate right before show time and were 8-9 rows back from the rail.   
    Thank you. Do you know if they ended up on the far sides? 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I prefer no GA myself.  I wouldn't even mind them randomizing a lot of prime seats to mix it up.  People are now waiting numerous days in line, on city streets.  This opens the door for potential issues.  Not to mention, there is going to be a fist-fight before long. Waiting in line to reserve and preserve a "spot" in the GA area is a little strange and almost defeats the purpose and function of GA.

i think people who wait in line for 2 days to see a rock band from an up close advantage spot is totally whacked
    but there are some who would say that me going into the show an hour before start time for ga is also whacked
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    They were in between center and Mike.  I've only done GA a couple times but everything I've seen and heard as soon as you get 5+ rows back it's more lax....always going to have assholes but generally it's not bad

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

i think people who wait in line for 2 days to see a rock band from an up close advantage spot is totally whacked
    but there are some who would say that me going into the show an hour before start time for ga is also whacked
    I just mean in general.  You are basically establishing a hierarchy to 'claim' 'reserved' spots in the GA section... in which there are no written rules regarding said claimed space.  There was some talk in Seattle that people were getting pretty huffy toward others when they were returning from the bathroom and such.  

I did do an overnight for a show once before the arms race for rail got out of control spilling into multiple days.  It was cool and worth getting rail for my 1 shot, probably ever.  I was completely drained though.  Was running on fumes for the show itself.

For seattle, people lined up days early, and immediately hit the line to camp out another 2 days.  I saw pictures with the same faces (some I recognize from other shows/line/rail pics).  No idea how they do it (let alone snag GA tickets in the lottery).  
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    Rule #1: Don't be a dick
    Rule #2: Refer to Rule #1
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.