Options

9 covers

Comments

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    tbergs said:
    Ok, what the hell are people counting as covers these days? Anything the band didn't write as Pearl Jam? I honestly don't think the band sees half of those songs as covers anymore. They play some of them pretty much every show now. They surpassed "cover" a long time ago. Also, are people really counting the brief Beatles cover of Help as the lead in to Help, Help? If so, we better start counting the outros of Betterman, YL and Daughter. Oh, also what about Setting Forth? Total Ed only song. What does that put us at for last night, 11?

Anyway, I agree, we need more from the forgotten albums, but I think the 9 covers claim is pushing it.
    And this is 100% true.  I would maybe count 5 of those as true covers (Throw Your Hatred Down, I Can Tell We're Gonna Be Friends, Again Today, I've Got a Feeling, and Comfortably Numb).  And they did one of those with the original artist!

Help was 1 verse
    Patriot and RITFW have been in their live sets for 20 years.  I guess I'm missing one?

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    No offense to Brandi...but I don't like Again today very much at all.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Was it an amazing setlist?! Probably not. I do understand the gripe. I had a good time though. I never once thought to myself "man I wish they were playing something different" but that's just me.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    No offense to Brandi...but I don't like Again today very much at all.
    I watched the you tube video and wondered why Eddie was singing so much of it.  I would have thought she would have taken the lead.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I wouldn't even count I've Got A Feeling.  It was on the Japanese version of Ten and, while it doesn't get played a lot these days, it's been hitting the stadium show cycle & was a regular performance back in the early days.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    I wouldn't even count I've Got A Feeling.  It was on the Japanese version of Ten and, while it doesn't get played a lot these days, it's been hitting the stadium show cycle & was a regular performance back in the early days.
    I think because Seattle didnt get a stadium show in 2016, night 1 was very much like the 2016 shows. Your welcome? lol
  • Options
    I just cringe and RITFW. Hatred isn't bad.  Patriot doesn't do anything for me.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    edited August 2018
    I can relate.
    "My wallet was too heavy last night from all the $50s I had to cram in there."
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I really enjoy Patriot from the 2003 bootlegs but the 2016 version was not very good and I would guess that's how they're doing it now.

By page 10 of this thread, the nine covers will be reduced to zero.  I guess it was eight because "Help!" was an intro to Help Help.  But eight is where the count stands.

Sorry, but RITFW, Crazy Mary, I've Got a Feeling, etc., are covers.  They've written 10 albums plus countless b-sides, etc.  So yeah, I count anything not originally theirs as a cover.  I love Crazy Mary.  I have only heard the original one time and would never know it if not for PJ.  It's a cover. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Similar to Fenway 1 2016. About 7 covers if I recall, still a great show. 
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    I think RITFW is played far too much.  Having someone else's song be a show staple is odd (and if they're going to do that, do it with Baba O'Riley).  If they announced that last night's rendition would be their last, it would be OK with me.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,355
    pmcgrath5 said:
    Similar to Fenway 1 2016. About 7 covers if I recall, still a great show. 
    I originally thought this was an old thread from after Fenway 2016 that got bumped. 
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    I think RITFW is played far too much.  Having someone else's song be a show staple is odd (and if they're going to do that, do it with Baba O'Riley).  If they announced that last night's rendition would be their last, it would be OK with me.
    I sort of agree. 

It's like when our neighbors started feeding our cat, and it started going there instead of home and everyone thought it was theirs. 

Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Agreed....Baba is ok, Fuckin Up is great.  RITFW is just campy as hell.  I really don't see how anyone in the band would get excited playing that song.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    RS65573 said:
    I think because Seattle didnt get a stadium show in 2016, night 1 was very much like the 2016 shows. Your welcome? lol
    Not sure what I need to be welcomed for.  And it's you're, btw.  :wink:

I wasn't at the show last night.  Just commenting on the discussion of wiggle room on what's considered a "cover."  I've Got A Feeling, while being a cover of a Beatles song, is also synonymous enough with Pearl Jam that I wouldn't really count it.  Just me personally.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    Agreed....Baba is ok, Fuckin Up is great.  RITFW is just campy as hell.  I really don't see how anyone in the band would get excited playing that song.
    Not campy. Neil Young still plays it like a god. 

Pearl jams version lacks edge though. Its a tambourine, lights up celebration.. that just takes away from the song. Compared to Neil.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Was not there...cannot comment as to the flow of the set. My thought is that as long time fans (which most of us are) we'd all like to hear more PJ songs and less covers. However...they have been playing love for a heck of a long time and have earned the right to play whatever they'd like. And if you're going to hear 9 covers the ones played last night were at least, for the most part, on the less-played/rarer side. I've Got A Feeling?? I'd freaking LOVE to hear that live again...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,366
    RS65573 said:
    Not sure what I need to be welcomed for.  And it's you're, btw.  :wink:

I wasn't at the show last night.  Just commenting on the discussion of wiggle room on what's considered a "cover."  I've Got A Feeling, while being a cover of a Beatles song, is also synonymous enough with Pearl Jam that I wouldn't really count it.  Just me personally.

Sorry didnt mean you specifically more the gist of the thread. I think this was a conscious effort to give Seattle a like the 2016 shows show.

I hope and expect the rest to differ greatly.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2018
    ... but do everyone agree that they should have thrown in some 80s KISS and gotten it up to an even 10?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189

I think the covers last night were pretty good choices. some rare ones in there.

only ones that they could've switched up were RITFW and Comfortably Numb.

the White Stripes song and I've Got a Feeling were nice surprises.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    edited August 2018
    I would have loved hearing for the first time:  help,we’re gonna be friends, comfortably numb and i’ve Got a feeling!!
    long road into release....wow.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Sorry... RITFW, Baba, Crazy... they’re not ‘basically PJ songs now’, they’re covers & always will be. Change it up already, it’s only been 25+ years. Same goes for Sonic Reducer & Fuckin’ Up. There’s enough awesome music out there that you don’t need to cover the same songs for almost 3 decades. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

let me break this down a little and show why its bullshit.... first of all I only count 8 "covers", if you wan to get technical.... but I don't see it quite that way, anyway

Throw Your Hatred Down - Although its technically a Neil song, this is not a cover as PJ was Neil's band for that album, I consider everything off of Mirrorball to be part of the Pearl Jam catalog. Some of you younger folks may not even realize PJ made an album with Uncle Neil, go pick it up, or stream it, or whatever you like to do, its a classic

Help - Single verse and chorus, not even the full song. Its the Beatles, and an amazing song, and lead into a true PJ live rarity with Help, Help... so chill out lol

Patriot - Sorry Little Steven, PJ owns this song now. Although technically it is, I don't consider this a cover (Much like Crazy Mary, which I don't consider a cover at this point. Do Grateful Dead fans consider Morning Dew a cover, I sure don't)

Friends - They covered The White Stripes, for the first time ever, enough said.

Again Today - A newer cover that they have mixed in and even have a studio version

Comfortably Numb - They have done this quite a bit the past few years, and Mother a few years before that, so i understand if people are a little Pink Floyd'ed out, but I happen to think Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers they have ever done and its right in the wheelhouse of Eddie vocally and Mike with the solo, so I say keep it in in the rotation forever

I've Got A Feeling - again, its the Beatles, and they did a studio version found on some versions of Ten. This has been in the catalog forever and when they play it, it doesn't really feel like a cover to me because of these things

RITFW - I'm not sure you can ever make an Uncle Neil song your own, so i will say they are partial owners of this song and it has been a staple FOREVER, when they play it, it doesn't feel like a cover to me at all

so yeah, this "too many covers" thing is overhyped BS in my opinion, keep them coming!!!

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,896
    Sorry, pal.  If they didn't write it, produce it, edit it, and release it, it's not theirs!  Got it?!?!

Just kidding.  I agree with every word you said
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,836
    my2hands said:

let me break this down a little and show why its bullshit.... first of all I only count 8 "covers", if you wan to get technical.... but I don't see it quite that way, anyway

Throw Your Hatred Down - Although its technically a Neil song, this is not a cover as PJ was Neil's band for that album, I consider everything off of Mirrorball to be part of the Pearl Jam catalog. Some of you younger folks may not even realize PJ made an album with Uncle Neil, go pick it up, or stream it, or whatever you like to do, its a classic

Help - Single verse and chorus, not even the full song. Its the Beatles, and an amazing song, and lead into a true PJ live rarity with Help, Help... so chill out lol

Patriot - Sorry Little Steven, PJ owns this song now. Although technically it is, I don't consider this a cover (Much like Crazy Mary, which I don't consider a cover at this point. Do Grateful Dead fans consider Morning Dew a cover, I sure don't)

Friends - They covered The White Stripes, for the first time ever, enough said.

Again Today - A newer cover that they have mixed in and even have a studio version

Comfortably Numb - They have done this quite a bit the past few years, and Mother a few years before that, so i understand if people are a little Pink Floyd'ed out, but I happen to think Comfortably Numb is one of the best covers they have ever done and its right in the wheelhouse of Eddie vocally and Mike with the solo, so I say keep it in in the rotation forever

I've Got A Feeling - again, its the Beatles, and they did a studio version found on some versions of Ten. This has been in the catalog forever and when they play it, it doesn't really feel like a cover to me because of these things

RITFW - I'm not sure you can ever make an Uncle Neil song your own, so i will say they are partial owners of this song and it has been a staple FOREVER, when they play it, it doesn't feel like a cover to me at all

so yeah, this "too many covers" thing is overhyped BS in my opinion, keep them coming!!!

I'm torn on Comfortably Numb. I loved hearing it at Fenway in 2016, and it's a great version, but hearing it, and then hearing Gilmour do it later that year, and it's clear there's just something missing in PJ's version. I cannot put my finger on it, but Gilmour's version is just that much better. It could just be Glimour's intimate knowledge of it, I don't know. I would almost rather they not play it, though.

Of course, if they do play it at Fenway this year, I'm not going to get all upset and not sing along/rock out. :)
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

• Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    This is such whiny bullcrap.  33 minus 9 equals 24.  24 songs is still as long (if not longer) than most bands entire set.  On the Yield tour in 1998 the average set was in the low-to-mid 20's for number songs total.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited August 2018
    I have to agree it's a bit much. That post about how there were only 3 songs from Riot Act, Binaural, Backspacer, Avocado and No Code COMBINED kind of struck me. I like covers if they're good ones, but I don't understand why they would ignore that huge a chunk of their catalogue and do 9 covers instead (and not all great covers at that). I am not feeling really critical about it - it's just a bit strange to me..... I still would have enjoyed the show!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    I was having too much fun to keep a running tally of the covers. Show fucking rocked. I slept good, too. Under the covers. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    my2hands said:
    They've been a band for approaching thirty years. You ever think they are sick of playing some of these songs? I don't give a damn what they play and I would LOVE to hear Again Today at Fenway.
    I can't imagine that they are sick of playing anything off Binaural, Riot Act, S/T

I would love to hear more of those songs

this is the only thing I would change with the band the past 5 years, they are over relying on the "hits" and songs written in 1998 or earlier (that was 20 years ago folks) and have seemed to move away from playing their catalog from 2000-present.... I think that is a mistake and eventually leads to being a full on nostalgia act, which I never want to see happen.

I count 5 songs plus Wasted Reprise played last night written after 1998.... only 5 songs to represent the last 20 years of the PJ catalog... and to me, as a diehard that knows the full catalog, that sucks

Mind Your Manners, Lightning Bolt, Help Help, Setting Forth, NAIS, Wasted Reprise

This is as big a complaint for me as the amount of covers, if not bigger. The setlist formula, despite the variations from night to night has gotten stale. End the 1st encore w/ Porch, the 2nd w/ RVM, the show closer is usually pretty predictable, as are the show openers. Setlists are heavy on Ten & VS, with the usual tracks from Vitalogy & Yield thrown in there. Where the hell is the No Code love, never mind the aforementioned Riot Act / ST / Binaural songs? For as much as they do change out a lot of tracks from show to show, it's still very formulaic and predictable. They're kind of already at the nostalgia act level if you ask me.

With the exception of Quebec in '16, I'm hard pressed to think of many other outlier setlists from the last 5 years. (I'm sure I'm wrong & there are some more, but they are few & far between)

I like seeing the White Stripes cover in there, but the ones they've been playing for 20+ years could be put out to pasture. I'm sorry, RITFW is usually my cue to beat the crowd, it always feels very uninspired to me.

There aren't many live acts that can hold a candle to PJ, I'll be the first to say that. Still though, the formula is a bit stale in the last few years.