9 covers

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    If someone was at the show and has a critique, that's one thing. I'm not hearing it if someone is reading a setlist online.
    So I agree and disagree with this.

I agree you can't comment on performance, eddie's voice, etc.

But I think you can look at the setlist and have a few questions/comments.  And again, personally I think it looks like a very solid setlist....though a couple of covers I'd like removed and add in some great Pearl Jam songs instead!
    I've been to Pearl Jam shows that were electric where people online complained about it being a "greatest hits" set.

On covers specifically - I also love My Morning Jacket and they can go cover-heavy at times. I have seen that make for an amazing show and I've also seen it leave me wanting more.

I feel the same way when people shit on a poster design based on a posted picture. These are things meant to be experienced in person. You *can* have an opinion on it without doing so. You won't be thrown in prison. But I don't think it has any merit.

So - I agree with you on having an opinion of how a specific show went and felt.  But still think discussing the setlist and saying "too many covers", "I want more No Code...or Riot Act" and the like is a valid opinion with merit.  Cause #1 it's an opinion and #2 it's not saying the specific show was bad, just that they'd prefer to hear more PJ songs.

I have been at a few "greatest hits" setlists myself that were terrific shows.  Rome from this year might not jump out at people but I was amazed at how good everything sounded and the just plain fun atmosphere.  It was a blast.
    Ok - I definitely get what you're saying there and that makes sense 
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Maybe they were just warming up to play Vitalogy front to back on Friday?
    It's back to front, c'mon!  Oh, and Saturday the 18th.  One can dream.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited August 2018
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    If someone was at the show and has a critique, that's one thing. I'm not hearing it if someone is reading a setlist online.

But I think you can look at the setlist and have a few questions/comments.  And again, personally I think it looks like a very solid setlist....though a couple of covers I'd like removed and add in some great Pearl Jam songs instead!
    I've been to Pearl Jam shows that were electric where people online complained about it being a "greatest hits" set.

On covers specifically - I also love My Morning Jacket and they can go cover-heavy at times. I have seen that make for an amazing show and I've also seen it leave me wanting more.

I feel the same way when people shit on a poster design based on a posted picture. These are things meant to be experienced in person. You *can* have an opinion on it without doing so. You won't be thrown in prison. But I don't think it has any merit.

So - I agree with you on having an opinion of how a specific show went and felt.  But still think discussing the setlist and saying "too many covers", "I want more No Code...or Riot Act" and the like is a valid opinion with merit.  Cause #1 it's an opinion and #2 it's not saying the specific show was bad, just that they'd prefer to hear more PJ songs.

I have been at a few "greatest hits" setlists myself that were terrific shows.  Rome from this year might not jump out at people but I was amazed at how good everything sounded and the just plain fun atmosphere.  It was a blast.
    Yeah, it shouldn’t be outrageous to suggest you would rather hear actual Pearl Jam songs at a Pearl Jam concert, but I guess to some people it’s out of the question. 
  • Save WhoSave Who Posts: 292
    I was just revisiting my '03 shows and noticed 2nd encore for the Cleveland show: 

Patriot
    Driven to Tears
    Better Man
    Crazy Mary
    Sonic Reducer
    Rockin'

6 song encore with 1 being a PJ song, cover's aren't new.  Maybe 9 is a little excessive, but that's part of what makes them great.   B)
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Save Who said:
    I was just revisiting my '03 shows and noticed 2nd encore for the Cleveland show: 

Patriot
    Driven to Tears
    Better Man
    Crazy Mary
    Sonic Reducer
    Rockin'

6 song encore with 1 being a PJ song, cover's aren't new.  Maybe 9 is a little excessive, but that's part of what makes them great.   B)
    Yeah i was there too.  Driven to tears was a set killer.... but loved the other covers ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    I can't believe they didn't play 4 hours and then stay after the show for photos and signatures. WTF
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    edited August 2018
    Looking at the set list, and it seems to be "weak".  However, you cannot judge a show by what the set looks like.  I'm sure the show was incredible, but I really think this setlist sets up Friday to be a KILLER show.  Congrats to all of those who were there, I hope your enjoying yourselves!

Time to come back to Philly!
  • WHY ISNT PETER AND ACE IN THE BAND?!?!!??!?!?!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Setlist and band energy/vibe of the night should be separate criteri
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • SJD3232 said:
    Looking at the set list, and it seems to be "weak".  However, you cannot judge a show by what the set looks like.  I'm sure the show was incredible, but I really think this setlist sets up Friday to be a KILLER show.  Congrats to all of those who were there, I hope your enjoying yourselves!

Come the fuck on... in what world is that a weak setlist.

WHAT KIND OF ALTERNATE REALITY IS THIS?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Moline sucked for me to witness live. 4 covers and 34 originals. Total bullshit.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    SJD3232 said:

Yeah... you definitely can’t go off a set list.  Most of the time it’s a “you had to be there” thing.  

That being said... I think the set list was fine, maybe less a cover or two.  I think part of the problem is the band is trying to make these shows mega special and that might explain all the covers. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Ok, what the hell are people counting as covers these days? Anything the band didn't write as Pearl Jam? I honestly don't think the band sees half of those songs as covers anymore. They play some of them pretty much every show now. They surpassed "cover" a long time ago. Also, are people really counting the brief Beatles cover of Help as the lead in to Help, Help? If so, we better start counting the outros of Betterman, YL and Daughter. Oh, also what about Setting Forth? Total Ed only song. What does that put us at for last night, 11?

Anyway, I agree, we need more from the forgotten albums, but I think the 9 covers claim is pushing it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    tbergs said:
    Ok, what the hell are people counting as covers these days? Anything the band didn't write as Pearl Jam? I honestly don't think the band sees half of those songs as covers anymore. They play some of them pretty much every show now. They surpassed "cover" a long time ago. Also, are people really counting the brief Beatles cover of Help as the lead in to Help, Help? If so, we better start counting the outros of Betterman, YL and Daughter. Oh, also what about Setting Forth? Total Ed only song. What does that put us at for last night, 11?

Anyway, I agree, we need more from the forgotten albums, but I think the 9 covers claim is pushing it.
    This is a solid point.  I just started thinking the same thing as I was looking over it.  You know songs like Crazy Mary and even RITFW don't seem like covers anymore to me.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    tbergs said:

If you look at the numbered setlist they are each listed with their own number

I agree that if you weren't there "Help" might not really qualify as a true cover if it was just a brief visit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    CopperTom said:
    It's terrible.  It's pathetic.  9 covers.  3 songs from Riot Act, Binaural, Avacado, Backspacer and No Code combined.  When I go to a PJ concert, I want to hear PJ songs. Awful.
    I assumed this was in jest, waiting for the sarcasm to show. holy shit. "pathetic"?

I go to a Pearl Jam show to see Pearl Jam perform the songs they want to perform. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my other favourite band plays 18 songs and only substitutes a few in and out of rotation, the rest are all the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    Sorry but it is too much. They have written way too many great songs to play that many covers......
    my other favourite band plays 18 songs and only substitutes a few in and out of rotation, the rest are all the same. 
    Yeah I have a hard time complaining after coming off shows (Foo) that play the same exact set every night...but it does disappoint me when PJ ignores my favorite albums.

I'll still go though.  And I'll still wait in line for merch.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    It's kinda like the debates we have over whether they should talk politics.  Well, we know when we buy the tickets that Ed may say some political things and we can decide whether we want to go or not but if we do go we shouldn't whine about it.  The politics is fine by me.

Similarly, we know they play a lot of covers.  Personally, my taste would be one or two covers, given the size of their catalog. I think, all else equal, six more PJ songs and six fewer covers would make for a better show.  I'm going to Missoula and both Wrigley shows and I knew when I made the travel plans that this is roughly their ratio.  So who would I be to complain now?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    wasn't there but sounds like a great show. to some people who don't like covers that is their opinion and that's fine . but from my earliest listening of bootlegs(before the released ones ) hearing covers was always cool to me. it was part of this band from the beginning. i have always wanted to hear quite a few of them. for those who say too many i just say enjoy the show for what it is and realize that the covers made it a special show in itself. hearing covers is better sometimes than the same hits show after show. 
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    OnWis97 said:
    It's kinda like the debates we have over whether they should talk politics.  Well, we know when we buy the tickets that Ed may say some political things and we can decide whether we want to go or not but if we do go we shouldn't whine about it.  The politics is fine by me.

Similarly, we know they play a lot of covers.  Personally, my taste would be one or two covers, given the size of their catalog. I think, all else equal, six more PJ songs and six fewer covers would make for a better show.  I'm going to Missoula and both Wrigley shows and I knew when I made the travel plans that this is roughly their ratio.  So who would I be to complain now?
    Totally agree, I know when going to a show that I'll be hearing covers (and politics). I still don't think it's an issue for someone to post on the 10c board that they think 9 covers is a too much, this is what these boards are for, no? Some people, and not you OnWis97, just don't want anyone to ever say anything negative about "their" band.

NYPJ
    foodboy said:
    wasn't there but sounds like a great show. to some people who don't like covers that is their opinion and that's fine . but from my earliest listening of bootlegs(before the released ones ) hearing covers was always cool to me. it was part of this band from the beginning. i have always wanted to hear quite a few of them. for those who say too many i just say enjoy the show for what it is and realize that the covers made it a special show in itself. hearing covers is better sometimes than the same hits show after show. 
    right but when the covers could be replaced with Insignificance, Grievance, 1/2 full, Ghost, Rival, Army Reserve, etc.....

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Yeah, it shouldn’t be outrageous to suggest you would rather hear actual Pearl Jam songs at a Pearl Jam concert, but I guess to some people it’s out of the question. 
    It's how quite a few folks go about "suggesting" that is taken to task. Everyone has favorites they hope to hear.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    well there is night 2 coming.i am sure they have something up their sleeve.wait and see. to me it was a special show. just like toronto 16 night 1 playing all of binaural. people complained about that too unbelievably.
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    my2hands said:
    I love covers... especially by PJ... so keep them coming

But I do wish they would a lot play more songs written after 1998, I've noticed they are leaning more & more on their early catalog 

Fellas, you made some amazing music after 1998, feel free to share it
    Agree with all this!
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    foodboy said:
    right but when the covers could be replaced with Insignificance, Grievance, 1/2 full, Ghost, Rival, Army Reserve, etc.....
    I totally agree.  They could offer replace any three of those covers with Fatal (or Other Side, or Rival, or etc.) and I'd take it.  So I am going to say something "bad" about them.  They play too many covers. They have far too many songs that playing 25% covers makes any sense.  

I know we have to balance between "critiquing" and "submitting our ideal setlists" but I think it's totally reasonable to critique them for play 25% covers AND for barely touching the second half of their catalog.

I also don't prefer an all-hits show but I understand that a lot of people are at the only PJ show they are going to be at and for everyone clamoring for "In My Tree" there are probably five people hoping for "Daughter."  Playing a lot of hits (particularly at festivals or places they rarely play) makes sense.  Playing this many covers really does not.  But again, I know this going in.  I am going in expecting that the Missoula setlist (which should be all hits and covers) will be very far from my ideal, but I should still like the show.  Everyone on this board knows what they are getting.  And it's three hours, 30+ songs and at least seven covers.  If it deters you from going, I respect that.  Really.  It's expensive, it's a hassle, and for most of us, it's travel.  But last night's ratio should surprise nobody.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Was wondering what other things people will find to complain.. There u have it. 
    But weren’t you on here recently complaining about the Euro posters being dropped while people were traveling?

seems u have an obsetion with what i say or what i do..find something different to spent your time than me..
    and i asked a question to santos..and how they drop and when the posters answered 
    My point is... you weren’t happy about the poster drops and some weren’t happy with the amount of covers.  You both should get to post your opinions. 
    my opint is ill complain when for any reason 10c see non americans fans, europeans,australian etc as second category fans and has always priority to please americans and not the rest of us..when there is unjustice ill point it out..im not complaining about the band or anything else..but my money is the same as anyone else pays for the membership.so i want a fair game.for us europeans.when comes the rights as 10c members
    Unjustice...?
    Rights as 10c members...?

Wow dude, it's posters and other non-trivial stuff that they sell.  If the time that they sell it bothers you that much, set your alarm.  The 10c works on US time, specifically PST.  When they put stuff up for sale and I am at work and can't get on the computer, I don't feel like it is an injustice and/or infringement on whatever "rights" are afforded to us by being a member of a band's fan club. 

But I digress...this is Pearl Jam.  They are mixing in more and more covers at these big stadium shows.  Personally, I would like to see more PJ originals.  It is what it is...nothing to to get all worked up over.   

OnWis97 said:
    foodboy said:
    I totally agree.  They could offer replace any three of those covers with Fatal (or Other Side, or Rival, or etc.) and I'd take it.  So I am going to say something "bad" about them.  They play too many covers. They have far too many songs that playing 25% covers makes any sense.  

I know we have to balance between "critiquing" and "submitting our ideal setlists" but I think it's totally reasonable to critique them for play 25% covers AND for barely touching the second half of their catalog.

I also don't prefer an all-hits show but I understand that a lot of people are at the only PJ show they are going to be at and for everyone clamoring for "In My Tree" there are probably five people hoping for "Daughter."  Playing a lot of hits (particularly at festivals or places they rarely play) makes sense.  Playing this many covers really does not.  But again, I know this going in.  I am going in expecting that the Missoula setlist (which should be all hits and covers) will be very far from my ideal, but I should still like the show.  Everyone on this board knows what they are getting.  And it's three hours, 30+ songs and at least seven covers.  If it deters you from going, I respect that.  Really.  It's expensive, it's a hassle, and for most of us, it's travel.  But last night's ratio should surprise nobody.
    I guess it would seem to me that PJ wouldn't care about that.  I really don't mean to sound like a dick because I will always buy tickets/merch, etc.  I just bought a backpack for my wife's bday.  I don't understand why they would make a conscious effort to play so many "hits" and ignore so much of their catalog.

I guess if I was going to interview one of them I would ask that question.  It perplexes me.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pdalowsky said:
    There is definitely a few people around here who need to stop buying tickets. They really dont seem to get anything out of the experience yet keep going, and as a result the moaning cycle continues. 

Its fair enough to point out the amount of covers, but 'terrible', 'pathetic' and 'awful'.....really?
    Agreed!