*** Seattle, WA Fanviews Here 8/8/18 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
Pearl Jam
Safeco Field
Seattle, WA
Home Show #1
Aug 08, 2018
Set List

Walk On Music: Aye Davanita (from Vitalogy album)

Band Onstage: 8:31
Band Offstage: 11:40

01. Long Road
02. Release
03. Low Light
04. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
05. Corduroy
(Ed greets audience and welcomes people from all the different places and is happy to have them here.  If the question is why go home, the answer is - it is such a beautiful place.  He talks generally about the issues that they are addressing.  Comments that when they first played in Seattle not too far from where we are now it only took about 30 minutes and there was less to talk about.)
06. Go
07. Do The Evolution
(“How is everybody on top? (referring to upper level)  You know some people like being on top.  You know it is a place like this that makes you not miss the Kingdome.  Ed mentions that the Kingdome didn’t sound very good.  Ed says this song is for Drew from Uncle Neil. Drew was a person they met doing bridge school)
08. Throw Your Hatred Down-(Young)
09. Mind Your Manners
(I’m thinking about being out here in center field.  My favorite player is Ichiro.  There was a guy number 44, Mike Cameron.  The other Seattle Mariner that made magic in this space and the Kingdome and he likes our band okay.  I am talking about Randy Johnson, The Big Unit.  His favorite band of all time is Soundgarden. Mike plays short Soundgarden riff. Randy would be excited to know that it isn’t Mike Cameron but Matt Cameron in center field at the drum kit
10. Lighting Bolt
(“I want to introduce a guy who grew up in Laurelhurst.  He was stuck in his room with his guitar and Stevie Ray Vaughn records.  Which is why the first song he wrote was called Laurelhurst Blues.” The band plays a short blues vamp. “But then he grew up and wrote this..”)
11. Given To Fly
(On this next one we have Captiol Hills very own Mr. Stone Gossard.  Stone was part of a gang called Newton Street Boys.  Was it a gang or chess club?  It was a bad ass chess club.  Ed notes Stone worked at a bakery, Matt worked at a Kinko’s, Mike worked at a pizza place. So Stone was a baker and by the time we met he had more dough than any of us…  Ed makes a comment about his joke wasn’t that bad “Have you heard the president talk?”  Ed ends by saying Stone bought some guitars for which Ed is grateful, “You completely changed my life.”)
12. All Those Yesterdays
(Ed relates a story he says he has never told before. He talks about hanging around the warehouse rehearsing in the very early days and meeting a homeless vet he met named Eddie.  Ed would buy him the same sandwich that he bought for himself.  He goes on to talk about coming home from a European tour and the man wasn’t there.  Ed found out the man was living under the Viaduct which was a relief.  “I thought I had lost him.”  Not much later the homeless vet died.  He never knew that he was part of the next song.  Ed talks a bit about the homeless and how Eddie either didn’t get or wouldn’t take help.)
13. Even Flow
14. Help-(Lennon, McCartney) (Ed solo on electric guitar) single verse and chorus not complete song
15. Help, Help
16. Black
(Ed spots a sign in the audience that he likes.  It reads, “I had to get a divorce to see Pear Jam” on one side and “Now I have A Better Man” on the other side.  Ed says the next guy is from Big Sandy which is not his mom’s nickname.  It is a small town in Montana.  He came here in the early 80’s and he saw The Who and The Clash.  He had a job making coffee.  He met a guy there named Andy Wood and that was a life changer.  I was gonna play this one for the big sky of Montana.)
17.  Setting Forth
18.  I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt) [fast version] (Ed takes a long thoughtful pause after bridge before going back into the chorus)
19.  Porch (EV goes to the barricade for the end)

Encore Break One

(“We didn’t come all this way to fuck around too much.  We were just talking about which songs to play.  I feel like a waiter with too many tables, I want to make sure everyone is getting taken care of.”  He checks on various sections.  He spots some young kids in the audience having fun which is a good sign.  It means it is safe.  He hears one kid has been to four shows, “You know at five you get to play with band.”  He notes that the band has about 10 kids between them, “Matt has nine…”  Ed is grateful for the notoriety of playing music but he says it is the audience that allows them to play.  Not only does the audience support them and keep the families happy but it gives us a reason to get together and play and love each other.  As parents we know there are some people that deserve more notice than they receive.  There are teachers that have changed our lives.  He tells a story about Kurt Vonnegut at a lecture asking the audience to raise their hand if they had one special teacher that changed their lives.  Almost everyone did.  Eddie does the same thing with the audience.  His kids have brought their favorite teacher here and Ed wants to play a song for them.)
20. We Are Gonna Be Friends-(Jack White)-during the song Ed’s daughters bring their favorite teachers out on stage.  At the end Ed introduces the teachers. Rene Smith and Marsha Lovely (?)
21. Nothing As It Seems
(Speaks briefly about writing about what you know and experiences)
22.  Let Me Sleep
23.  Breath (During song Ed goes to edge of stage and PA and hands a pick to security to give to a kid who is at the barricade)

(Ed praises the audience with “Good singing” and introduces another good singer, Brandi Carlisle..  Ed asks Brandi how long it took her to write the song.  She replies, “Oh, about a year.”  Ed says, “Wow, now I don’t feel so bad…well it was worth every minute.” Ed talks about covering the song for a benefit album and Brandi said playing with them is a dream come true.
24. Again Today-(Carlile) with Brandi Carlile
25. State Of Love And Trust
26. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(There is someone we haven’t introduced yet.  He grew up in a small town.  He is a big man with big hands.  He has been with the band for 18 years and he is still the new guy.  And there is a young man from San Diego who moved here in his early twenties.  Now I have lived here over half my life.  Ed goes on to talk about working with various organizations and have managed to raise over 11 million dollars to work on eradicating homelessness.  Once you get going on something you want to do more of it.  So I am gonna ask you to do something you were already gonna do.  Which is vote. Get out there and vote.  There are good people out there.  Get active.  We can do this.)

27. Wasted Reprise
28. Better Man /Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) (essentially just sings “Don’t runaway” before going into the outro)
29. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters)
30. Alive
31. I’ve Got A Feeling-(Lennon, McCartney)
(“Thank You Seattle, thank you very much, all the flags…Happy Birthday Simon” [Ed’s tech Simon]
32. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
(Thanks so much to everyone in the building.  Thanks to small businesses and the big businesses.  It just takes some effort and coming together so let’s continue it.)
33. Yellow Ledbetter / Little Wing-(Hendrix) tag only 30 seconds

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Tagged:

Comments

• wow!
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 06 Jun 17
    EV - Hammersmith Apollo, 07 Jun 17
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 18 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 19 Jun 18
    PJ - O2 Arena, London, 17 Jul 18
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Great show. I’d say more but I’m exhausted!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    A lot of covers but looks like a solid set. Hopefully Help Help sticks around into 2019 too
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,327
    Show was amazing, despite the high number of covers. Wish they’d steer clear of that format but it seems like that’s their MO for the stadium shows ((thinking back to Fenway and Wrigley in 2016).
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    The band still finds a way to surprise me. Thank you Pearl Jam for a night I'll never forget, full of favourites, underplayed deep cuts, and great covers. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    :clap::clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Just drank my last beer and checked in to see what people were saying.

I loved tonight.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    I hope you guys get : more vitalogy , more no code and less COVERS on Friday. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love covers, keep them coming!
  • PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,247
    Lots of covers.. But some cool ones! Would love throw your hatred down

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I’m sure you all had an incredible night but not an impressive setlist on paper IMO
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    KC138045 said:
    I’m sure you all had an incredible night but not an impressive setlist on paper IMO
    Judging a setlist on paper is like judging a meal on an Instagram photo
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:
    that make me laugh
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:
    This is true, but judging by the number of songs played and the time stamps doesn't look like they took many for a ride either.  I think these stadium shows have become more of a celebration than shows you go back and listen to (imo of course).
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    edited August 2018
    pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:
    This is true, but judging by the number of songs played and the time stamps doesn't look like they took many for a ride either.  I think these stadium shows have become more of a celebration than shows you go back and listen to (imo of course).
    The 2 Fenway shows were as good as I had seen them in a while. A setlist is just chapter titles. Tells you little about the live performance.

And here I shall get off my soapbox and allow the fanviews from attendees to roll in.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:
    The 2 Fenway shows were as good as I had seen them in a while. A setlist is just chapter titles. Tells you little about the live performance.

And here I shall get off my soapbox and allow the fanviews from attendees to roll in.
    This x10000.    A well performed greatest hits show or a setlist of covers played awesomely beats a sloppy, rare setlist any day
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:

I think we are agreeing with each other here.  And I was at Fenway 2 as well and had a blast, but nothing from it was really worth revisiting.  I couldn't care less what they play or how long they play for (for the most part) as long as they play well.  To me playing well is playing tight, but also willing to take songs like RVM, Porch, Daughter, Crazy Mary, etc. out there and explore.  This is something they don'[t do as much anymore, but I'd love it if they went back to this style which seem to have ended around 2006...

That said, I'm glad folks had fun last night and I look forward to the Fenway shows in a few weeks.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    KC138045 said:

This x10000.    A well performed greatest hits show or a setlist of covers played awesomely beats a sloppy, rare setlist any day
    Couldn't agree more.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    saw some guy post on twitter "boring, predictable show". HAHAHA
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• go prego pre Posts: 642
    My 20th show and my first show without hearing a PJ original for the first time. A little disappointing, but I was preparing myself for it to happen and had a great time. Looking forward to whatever Friday's show brings.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • go pre said:
    My 20th show and my first show without hearing a PJ original for the first time. A little disappointing, but I was preparing myself for it to happen and had a great time. Looking forward to whatever Friday's show brings.
    I know what you're saying.  In my last three shows I got 0, 2, and 1 PJ originals that I hadn't heard before.  And I haven't been to an excessive number of shows (25).
    Boston (4/10/94), Hartford (10/2/96), Barre (8/22/98), Hartford (9/13/98), Mansfield (9/15/98 + 9/16/98), Mansfield (8/29/00 + 8/30/00), Mansfield (7/2/03 + 7/11/03), Boston (9/28/04), Hartford (5/13/06), Boston (5/24/06 + 5/25/06), Hartford (6/27/08), Mansfield (6/28/08 + 6/30/08), Philadelphia (10/31/09), Hartford (5/15/10), Worcester (10/15/13 + 10/16/13), Hartford (10/25/13), New York (5/1/16), Boston (8/5/16 + 8/7/16), Boston (9/2/18 + 9/4/18)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    saw some guy post on twitter "boring, predictable show". HAHAHA

That had to be a joke.    Getting Black early in the main set is the biggest surprise of the night to me. 
  • I CAN TELL THAT WE ARE GONNA BE FRIENDS?!?!?!?! Into NAIS into Let Me Sleep into BREATH?!?!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • krueschkruesch Posts: 9
    i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    How is that a weak setlist? Long Road and Release start is epic, some rare gems amongst the hits including: Throw Your Hatred Down, All Those Yesterdays, Help into Help Help, and that first encore is a great one! Would have loved to have been there.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    kruesch said:
    i've never posted here, but felt i had to, cause y'all some spoiled ass mother fuckers.   nit picking that the show was no good because you didn't hear a song you've never heard before.   when you are actually at a show, and better man comes on, it's awesome.   the crowd loves it.  the energy is great.   looking at it on paper, you breeze past it.  but who gives a shit about the setlist.   just enjoy the show for what you get, not complaining about what you didn't 
    YES
  • ryangingerryanginger Toronto Posts: 77
    We were halfway back in GA in front of Ed. Sound was great. I was a bit worried as the videos they played before the show were distorted, but this was probably the clearest I've heard the band.

Loved the LR/rel open. A couple flubs/false starts later (Go, Throw) but quickly recovered. DTE didn't feel rushed and I gained a new appreciation for Even Flow with Ed's story.

The covers were fun, but I would have preferred more originals. Interested to see how much they'll mix it up Friday. Was surprised there weren't more guests involved. Gleason, Duff, and Kim Thayil were all sidestage.

Most in GA were friendly, though we still had a few incidents of people barging their way up. After all the sun, lines and standing, glad we have seats Friday.
    Vancouver 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013
    Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle 1 & 2 2018
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    kruesch said:

Agreed.  I will say though that band has made touring career from their constant setlist changes, so moreso than other bands I think it is fine that people have different expectations.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    kruesch said:
    Great first post!  Agreed!