Options

Things that are a must do when in Chicago

Comments

• Options
    JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Visit Wrigleyville (Murphys) and then catch a Cubs Game at Wrigley Field. Pippins pub. Grant Park.  Homeslice Pizza. 
    Cubs aren't playing home games but the White Sox are....thought about going there the 19th
    Don’t worry. You can get tickets the day of. They sell out about 50% of the seats these days. 
    Buy the cheapest ticket at the box office and you can sit lower level....so ive heard
    Not true. South side ballpark is strict about letting people into the lower concourse without a proper ticket. The park is designed so you have to pass an usher before entering at any section and they will be checking tickets.
    it looks like there are $60 seats going for $35 on stubhub
    $11 for bleachers and it gets you anywhere in the park. The outfield concourse is the best place in the park.
    100% agree
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    mcgruff10 said:
    Billy Goat Tavern: overrated or something you have to do?
    Over rated. Okay if you're right there for another reason (i.e. Navy Pier)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129

Kevinman said:
    Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Visit Wrigleyville (Murphys) and then catch a Cubs Game at Wrigley Field. Pippins pub. Grant Park.  Homeslice Pizza. 
    Cubs aren't playing home games but the White Sox are....thought about going there the 19th
    Don’t worry. You can get tickets the day of. They sell out about 50% of the seats these days. 
    Buy the cheapest ticket at the box office and you can sit lower level....so ive heard
    Not true. South side ballpark is strict about letting people into the lower concourse without a proper ticket. The park is designed so you have to pass an usher before entering at any section and they will be checking tickets.
    Not entirely true either.
    Bought $5 tix on a Sunday last year and had my cousin, who works there, come up to get us lower, and there was absolutely nobody checking tickets.  This was about the 3rd inning, I’m sure in the beginning they check, just wait till about the 3rd and head down to the bleachers for some sun.
    They really don’t check anymore. I’ve been to about 12 games and nobody is checking on lower concourse. 
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,749
    leep75 said:
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.
    Big LOL!!! Suffice it to say, we will likely never agree on breweries. Bare Hands cracked my "not going back to" list.

Best IPA's Indiana? So, do you own this brewery? Date the owner of this brewery? Have a financial interest in this brewery? 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    Avoid billy goat. Their burgers suck. Go to a Sox game. Spend 6 bucks for upper deck seats. Sit in lower deck innings 2 through whenever. Been doing it for as long as they’ve sucked which is a long time. 100 level vendors won’t be checking ticket stubs after the first inning. G Man bar is just north of Wrigley right next to metro. Great bar and never overly packed like the other lame Wrigleyville bars. Been there before every PJ Wrigley show plus the past 25+ years
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    bbiggs said:
    My suggestion for show days is to experience more of Wrigleyville than just Murphy’s or Cubby Bear. There are so many great bars/restaurants within blocks of the stadium. Much more to see than just the two aforementioned spots. And all of them will be packed with PJ fans...such an awesome vibe. 
    What other ones would be worth visiting and not overrun like the ones close to the stadium?
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    know1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    My suggestion for show days is to experience more of Wrigleyville than just Murphy’s or Cubby Bear. There are so many great bars/restaurants within blocks of the stadium. Much more to see than just the two aforementioned spots. And all of them will be packed with PJ fans...such an awesome vibe. 
    What other ones would be worth visiting and not overrun like the ones close to the stadium?
    anything near a red line stop....just have a few drinks then hit the train for the show.  Lots of great bars at the State/Lake stop
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    know1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Check out a little place called The Dugout on Addison.  A little hidden bar in a basement that usually isn't too crowded.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    know1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    There are so many, so I can’t vouch as to which ones will be the right ones, but I would recommend anything starting a few blocks south of Wrigley on Clark St. up to a couple blocks north of Wrigley on Clark. Some options from south to north:  Old Crow, Deuces, Moes Cantina, John Barleycorn, HVAC, Sluggers (wishlist party location), Rizzos, Casey Morans, Yak-Zies.  Don’t get me wrong; I love Murphy’s Bleachers. I go all the time. But it will be a zoo. I’ve never liked Cubby Bear. Just personal preference. Sluggers is one of my favorites and is hosting the wishlist party. Moes Cantina was a good pre show vibe in ‘16. Ton of fans and nothing but PJ pumping through the speakers. You can walk by all of these spots and get a feel for which one you want to hang in. Or, stop in each, grab a beer and on to the next! See you all in 9 days! 
  • Options
    leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    leep75 said:
    BK221359 said:
    Brewery Recommendations Please...

Half Acre
    Revolution
    Pipeworks

*If you're traveling from Ohio and want a stop along the way, I would recommend Iechyd Da in Elkhart, IN.

*Traveling through SW Michigan via I94, try Greenbush Brewery in Sawyer, MI. As sure as you will enjoy a PJ show at Wrigley, you will enjoy Greenbush. (Pro Tip: yummy brisket)

*If you're a craft brew but and are going through NW Indiana (at the IN/IL border) you should make 3 Floyd's a stopping point for sure. 

*If you're opting to stay in NW Indiana over downtown, you can find a bunch of breweries within very close proximity to one another. Little late now, but maybe we should have had a NW Indiana brewery tour bus on Sunday. Damm!

If you're traveling from Ohio and want a GREAT stop along the way, you stop off of exit 83 (Mishawaka/Granger) and go to Barehands Brew in Granger.  Best IPAs in Indiana bar none!  Better the Iechyda and better than 3 Fucks.
    Big LOL!!! Suffice it to say, we will likely never agree on breweries. Bare Hands cracked my "not going back to" list.

Best IPA's Indiana? So, do you own this brewery? Date the owner of this brewery? Have a financial interest in this brewery? 
    Not going back??? what was the problem?  I'm not the owner, do not work there, do not date Chris (the owner) and do not have any financial interest in the business.  Just a loyal fan and mug clubber of their beer and all the bar tenders and "regulars".  So maybe I'm biased, but it is what it is.  It is easier to get to off the toll road than Iechyda though.....and I still stand behind better than 3Fs....I'm not a fan of those guys, bad experience at a brew fest with them.

leep
  • Options
    3 Floyd's has amazing food if you visit their brewpub.  Ramen is top notch.  Great sandwiches, wings, mac & cheese, etc.

Plus: Zombiedust, Space Station Middle Finger, Yum Yum, all on tap...ready to drink.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    3 Floyd's has amazing food if you visit their brewpub.  Ramen is top notch.  Great sandwiches, wings, mac & cheese, etc.

Plus: Zombiedust, Space Station Middle Finger, Yum Yum, all on tap...ready to drink.
    Off topic a bit...but I haven't had a Zombiedust that I've liked in the last 4-5 years.  Use to be my favorite IPA....now I don't want to drink it ever again.  You notice a drop off?  Or my pallet change? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Off topic a bit...but I haven't had a Zombiedust that I've liked in the last 4-5 years.  Use to be my favorite IPA....now I don't want to drink it ever again.  You notice a drop off?  Or my pallet change? 
    Can't say that I've noticed a drop....I want to be embalmed with it

We got it on draft a month or so ago and left with a case that tastes great.

• Options

Interesting cause I don’t like it. And I still love Toppling Goliath PseudoSue which is very similar.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736

Interesting cause I don’t like it. And I still love Toppling Goliath PseudoSue which is very similar.
    I did notice a bit of a drop off a couple years ago.  But I picked up a case of it direct from 3F that had been bottled the day before and it was phenomenal.  PseduoSue is so damn good too!
  • Options
    I have never even heard of Pseudo....I'll keep an eye out

• Options
    3 Floyds breakdown....similar yet different

Yum Yum: APA: 5.5%, 63 IBU
    Space Station: APA: 6% 50 IBU
    Zombie: APA: 6.2% 50 IBU
    Alpha King: APA: 6.66% 68 IBU

• Options
    I have never even heard of Pseudo....I'll keep an eye out
    It’s amazing :).  As are almost every beer from Toppling Goliath (Decorah, IA)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I’ll be there through the weekend drinking all the beer there is. I have a ticket to the show on Saturday, I just hope I remember to go. 

Is it possible to drink beer with Frank at the Shameless house?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Reading through this thread is getting me pumped for Chicago.  I am excited to get away with my wife (no kids), drink some amazing IPA's, eat some good ass pizza and see Pearl Jam in a historic ball park.  Man I hope the weather is good!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    So far the weather looks spectacular!
  • Options
    AAJC said:
    I’ll be there through the weekend drinking all the beer there is. I have a ticket to the show on Saturday, I just hope I remember to go. 

Lol. Sure is. Just bring your Teflon vest in that part of the city. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Reading through this thread is getting me pumped for Chicago.  I am excited to get away with my wife (no kids), drink some amazing IPA's, eat some good ass pizza and see Pearl Jam in a historic ball park.  Man I hope the weather is good!!!!
    Same here brother!  Cannot wait!!!
  • Options
    AAJC said:
    So far the weather looks spectacular!
    I pray the weather holds up. We have had a mini-drought lately. Has hardly rained for weeks. Sure hope it doesn’t start late next week. 
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    I have done the deep dish taste test over numerous trips to Chicago in my life, and Pequod's Pizza is the by far the best I've had.

This is not a novice pizza critic's opinion.

This is a fat, NYC residing, carb loving man's opinion.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    There are a few walking mobster tours too I think I wanna try this time.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    AAJC said:

Filming just started so ya just might be able to catch him.  Not the greatest neighborhood, though.
  • Options
    wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 469
    If Wrigleyville is too packed, get off at the Fullerton stop on the El on your way. Think I mentioned it earlier, but there's a pizza stop called Homeslice. Fantastic Pizza, and coming from a former Chi-town native, that's sayin a lot.  And if you really want to be adventurous, take the El out to near Irving Park and hit up Smoque BBQ. IMHO, best BBQ in the city.   Sorry for all of my posts, I'm living vicariously through you all. "I have not been home since [I] left long ago," miss my home town!  
  • Options
    igotid_8igotid_8 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 497
    mcgruff10 said:
    Same here brother!  Cannot wait!!!
    Ditto!  I'm saving all these recommendations.  Thanks to everyone!
    2000 Columbus, Pittsburgh
    2003 Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Columbus
    2004 Toledo
    2005 Hamilton, Pittsburgh
    2006 Cleveland, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh
    2009 Chicago
    2010 Cleveland
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Detroit
    2016 Tampa, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018 Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2022 Hamilton