Things that are a must do when in Chicago

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    wsimon74 said:
    Visit Wrigleyville (Murphys) and then catch a Cubs Game at Wrigley Field. Pippins pub. Grant Park.  Homeslice Pizza. 
    Cubs aren't playing home games but the White Sox are....thought about going there the 19th
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    wsimon74 said:
    Visit Wrigleyville (Murphys) and then catch a Cubs Game at Wrigley Field. Pippins pub. Grant Park.  Homeslice Pizza. 
    Cubs aren't playing home games but the White Sox are....thought about going there the 19th

Do it!  It's a very underrated stadium with reasonable prices and great food/beer selection.  
  • wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 467
    shoot, didn't even look at the schedule, makes sense with the PJ show. Silly me. LOL. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited August 2018
    know1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    not necessary a tourist question but what is the bar situation before the show around Wrigley?  do-able or too crowded for the Monday night show?
    For the past three Wrigley shows, we've found the Wrigleyville bars incredibly crowded. You basically either couldn't get in, or if you did, your could barely move and it would take 15 minutes or more to get a drink from the bar. The last show in 2016, we just went in to Wrigley early and drank expensive beers from the concession stands. This year, we're planning on just bar hopping downtown instead and heading up closer to the start of the show.

I only went once, but when I did all the bars were packed just like you said, and it took forever to get served drinks and food (I actually had to run off to a hotdog shack while I waited for the meal I ordered in the bar - I was just too hungry to wait for the hour+ it took to get a sandwich at the bar!). However, if you get to a good place earlier in the day and stake a claim on a table there, that would probably work for you - get in before it's standing room only. Just don't go to a place that isn't prepared for crowds, i.e. has good service ratings. The place I went to seemed very weirdly unprepared for it to be really busy, even though it being really busy was a given - they were even warned that a huge PJ crew would be coming days and days ahead of time. I don't know if half their staff didn't show up or they are just stupid. Also, their A/C was broken, so it was basically hell on Earth, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,928
    wsimon74 said:
    Don’t worry. You can get tickets the day of. They sell out about 50% of the seats these days. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Get_Right said:
    Nobody recommended the chocolate shake at wieners circle?   ;)  
    Kind of surprised no one has brought this place up yet...
    My suggestion for show days is to experience more of Wrigleyville than just Murphy’s or Cubby Bear. There are so many great bars/restaurants within blocks of the stadium. Much more to see than just the two aforementioned spots. And all of them will be packed with PJ fans...such an awesome vibe. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I can't really add much that hasn't been said but definitely go to a Sox game if you have the time.  It's a great park (it's just facing the wrong direction).  Be sure to check out the brick plaza at the main entrance behind home plate.  And the original Comiskey home plate in Lot B, by the skywalks.  And while you're down that way, hit up Johnny O's just west in Bridgeport for a "mother-in-law" sandwich!

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    "drop a lou" at Lou's pizza joint. Maybe not day of show though.
    www.cluthelee.com
    I can't really add much that hasn't been said but definitely go to a Sox game if you have the time.  It's a great park (it's just facing the wrong direction).  Be sure to check out the brick plaza at the main entrance behind home plate.  And the original Comiskey home plate in Lot B, by the skywalks.  And while you're down that way, hit up Johnny O's just west in Bridgeport for a "mother-in-law" sandwich!

I saw that 500 level tix were $5 :)

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    TC282314 said:
    How is Kingston Mines these days? It’s been years since I’ve been, but was great. Still worth the cab ride on Sunday night between shows?
    Definitely. Great blues musicians play there all the time. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Get_Right said:
    Nobody recommended the chocolate shake at wieners circle?   ;)  Great town, wish I was coming in for these shows.
    Pequods for deep dish is the call.  Just keep in mind that it takes almost an hour to get your pie.  Not the best place to go when you have a buzz from the show and you are hungry. You are practically asleep and sober by the time your food arrives.
    Also for chicago style hot dogs, I am a fan of superdawg over portillos.
    Lol...chocolate shake at Weiner's Circle if you're feeling up for it.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020

I saw that 500 level tix were $5 :)
    The best part is there will only be about 1500 people at the game so you can grab those $5 tickets and pretty much sit wherever you want.
    And may I suggest for those that are set on getting a Chicago style hot dog, go to portillos as people have already mentioned, but bypass the dog and get an Italian beef. If you really want to get crazy, get a combo (Italian beef and Italian sausage). Hot dogs are overrated. If you need to have one to say youve had a Chicago style dog, I get it, but eat it as a chaser after your beef sandwich. The beef is killer. 
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    bbiggs said:
    And may I suggest for those that are set on getting a Chicago style hot dog, go to portillos as people have already mentioned, but bypass the dog and get an Italian beef. If you really want to get crazy, get a combo (Italian beef and Italian sausage). Hot dogs are overrated. If you need to have one to say youve had a Chicago style dog, I get it, but eat it as a chaser after your beef sandwich. The beef is killer. 
    Looks like there is a Portillos a 13 minute walk form my hotel.  I'll go with your suggestions.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like there is a Portillos a 13 minute walk form my hotel.  I'll go with your suggestions.
    You won’t be disappointed bud. 
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

:lol:  I was about to recommend this.

and def not the day of the show. might end up like our friend FMe

I actually prefer Giordanos or however f it is spelled.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Get a chocolate cake shake, too!
  • Dug1200Dug1200 Chicago Posts: 188
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Don’t worry. You can get tickets the day of. They sell out about 50% of the seats these days. 
    Buy the cheapest ticket at the box office and you can sit lower level....so ive heard
  • Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Buy the cheapest ticket at the box office and you can sit lower level....so ive heard
    Not true. South side ballpark is strict about letting people into the lower concourse without a proper ticket. The park is designed so you have to pass an usher before entering at any section and they will be checking tickets.
    Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Not true. South side ballpark is strict about letting people into the lower concourse without a proper ticket. The park is designed so you have to pass an usher before entering at any section and they will be checking tickets.
    it looks like there are $60 seats going for $35 on stubhub

• Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    it looks like there are $60 seats going for $35 on stubhub
    $11 for bleachers and it gets you anywhere in the park. The outfield concourse is the best place in the park.
  • wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 467
    edited August 2018
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    If you get an Italian beef, make sure to request it cheesy and dipped!! 
    wsimon74 said:
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Make sure to request it cheesy and dipped!! 
    Mozzarella cheese. Not the cheddar soupy stuff for cheese fries. And get peppers as well. Sweet or hot depending on your preference. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,136
    lolobugg said:

:lol:  I was about to recommend this.

and def not the day of the show. might end up like our friend FMe

I actually prefer Giordanos or however f it is spelled.

@l@lolobugg Haha! Ah, shit. I couldn't remember who it was, but yeah, haha!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,817
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Mozzarella cheese. Not the cheddar soupy stuff for cheese fries. And get peppers as well. Sweet or hot depending on your preference. 
    My reflux is already laughing at me.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    edited August 2018
    wsimon74 said:
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    If you get an Italian beef, make sure to request it cheesy and dipped!! 
    Shit I'm going to have to write all this down so I don't fuck up my order lol

wsimon74 said:
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    Not entirely true either.
    Bought $5 tix on a Sunday last year and had my cousin, who works there, come up to get us lower, and there was absolutely nobody checking tickets.  This was about the 3rd inning, I’m sure in the beginning they check, just wait till about the 3rd and head down to the bleachers for some sun.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    edited August 2018
    Dug1200 said:
    bbiggs said:
    wsimon74 said:
    you do pass an usher, but most don't care.  You're not going to get behind home plate, but just past the bases isn't out of the question.  Act like you belong there, have a beer in one hand, dog in the other...golden.  They stop you move a section or 2 over

Post edited by Dug1200 on