Options

'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• Options
    mwplum said:
    If you paid more than say $50 per poster, I’d say f-the seller!
    I'm leaning that direction. She listed the posters at 95 each and it was really her responsibility to protect herself with additional insurance. Ebay is basically saying that I didn't get what I paid for which is essentially correct. 
     What if you didn’t come home for a week and it rained on the sixth day after the poster tube sat out?  I would think it was on you at that point.  So as a buyer is there an amount of time that a poster can sit out in the elements on your property before it is free from shipment damages?  

If I were the seller I would fight it.  I would argue that I arranged delivery to the address provided to me, and USPS delivered the product to the buyer’s property.  The buyer was not home and poster was left in the buyer’s mailbox per standard practice.  I met my obligation of delivery.  Is it the seller’s responsibility to get the product into the buyer’s house or hands, or to get the package to the house?  

I am sure there are rules and apparently EBay is saying the seller is at risk, but I just don’t see it.  

Sorry this happened.  That really sucks.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    You guys just took it in the direction I was about to head. If you had paid 35, the person did you a solid so take it on the chin a little. Amateur flipper? Learn that lesson, fucker....full refund. For that sort of premium you're owed the stated condition. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    You guys just took it in the direction I was about to head. If you had paid 35, the person did you a solid so take it on the chin a little. Amateur flipper? Learn that lesson, fucker....full refund. For that sort of premium you're owed the stated condition. 
    But it did get delivered in the condition advertised.   And sales price should have nothing to do with it.   Buyer paid a premium not to stand in line for four hours,
    and seller charged a premium for their time.    
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I’m sorry, but the regular rules of buying and selling don’t apply here. “The seller charged a premium for their time” are you serious?!!

In this case alone, seller marked up 3 x $35 posters at $95 each, so a profit of $60 per poster. So assuming this person waited 4 hours in line, you’re saying that person should stand to make $180.00 which is $45.00 per hour for waiting in a line? In my experience, the time flies by as I’m enjoying talking to the people around me, and it’s not something someone should be compensated for.

This person could have bought up to 10 posters (2 copies of each poster)! Assuming they got the max, they could either: (a) stand to make 3.3 times that amount, so $135.00+ per hour, or (b) they could have kept 5 free posters and still have pocketed aprox $125 by selling the other 5. 

i think the two biggest problems I have with the seller is that: (1) they were so quick to put them up on eBay, before the shows even started; and (2) that they deliberately bought extras to flip, thereby taking away posters from people behind them in line who may also waited a long time in line.

Like someone else said, it’s not like the seller was doing you a favour. Screw them...you should get the refund. It’s not like they’ll lose anything, they’ll still be able to sell them (this time for closer to face value).
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    mwplum said:
    I’m sorry, but the regular rules of buying and selling don’t apply here. “The seller charged a premium for their time” are you serious?!!

In this case alone, seller marked up 3 x $35 posters at $95 each, so a profit of $60 per poster. So assuming this person waited 4 hours in line, you’re saying that person should stand to make $180.00 which is $45.00 per hour for waiting in a line? In my experience, the time flies by as I’m enjoying talking to the people around me, and it’s not something someone should be compensated for.

This person could have bought up to 10 posters (2 copies of each poster)! Assuming they got the max, they could either: (a) stand to make 3.3 times that amount, so $135.00+ per hour, or (b) they could have kept 5 free posters and still have pocketed aprox $125 by selling the other 5. 

i think the two biggest problems I have with the seller is that: (1) they were so quick to put them up on eBay, before the shows even started; and (2) that they deliberately bought extras to flip, thereby taking away posters from people behind them in line who may also waited a long time in line.

Like someone else said, it’s not like the seller was doing you a favour. Screw them...you should get the refund. It’s not like they’ll lose anything, they’ll still be able to sell them (this time for closer to face value).
    This is crazy talk.   Buyer and seller agreed on a price.  It has nothing to do with whether a refund is owed or not due to product damage.  Absolutely ludicrous, immature argument.   Whining that someone is selling a poster for what it is worth (unless the buyer likes overpaying).   Ridiculous.  Get in line early if you want to pay original cost.  If not, than pay market.  Very simple.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Shipper should have paid extra 5 or so for added insurance- they would get a negative review from me 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,370
    If you are selling sh*t on Ebay, you are the house and should insure the item, or be expected to have a 5% fail rate like any business and build it into your pricing.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    pjl44 said:
    But it did get delivered in the condition advertised.   And sales price should have nothing to do with it.   Buyer paid a premium not to stand in line for four hours,
    It absolutely did not get delivered in the condition advertised. Seller is using the delivery company - whether they crush it, rip it, or leave it in the rain, that is the seller's problem to fix.

It's up to the buyer how lenient they want to be on documented damage. I'm saying if someone cut me a deal, I might cut them some slack if I think I can work around the damage. If I paid full market rate, it better be in the condition we agreed to or deal's off.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mwplum said:
    If you paid more than say $50 per poster, I’d say f-the seller!
    I'm leaning that direction. She listed the posters at 95 each and it was really her responsibility to protect herself with additional insurance. Ebay is basically saying that I didn't get what I paid for which is essentially correct. 
     What if you didn’t come home for a week and it rained on the sixth day after the poster tube sat out?  I would think it was on you at that point.  So as a buyer is there an amount of time that a poster can sit out in the elements on your property before it is free from shipment damages?  

If I were the seller I would fight it.  I would argue that I arranged delivery to the address provided to me, and USPS delivered the product to the buyer’s property.  The buyer was not home and poster was left in the buyer’s mailbox per standard practice.  I met my obligation of delivery.  Is it the seller’s responsibility to get the product into the buyer’s house or hands, or to get the package to the house?  

I am sure there are rules and apparently EBay is saying the seller is at risk, but I just don’t see it.  

Sorry this happened.  That really sucks.
    Yes I think in that case Ebay would still say that the seller should have protected themselves with insurance, etc.  The seller can charge the buyer for that by the way.  As long as the shipping/insurance cost is disclosed in the offer then the seller should be completely covered.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    yeah and she's no amateur....she's a pro at selling all kinds of concert stuff, PJ setlist shirts and posters, sports tickets, etc.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    I really don't know how she got them.  She lived in AZ so she either attended the concert and got a shitload of posters (she had at least 5 copies of each based on the item profile) and setlist shirts.

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    My biggest complaints were that all three posters were in the same tube and that there was no protection/paper whatsoever in the tube with the posters.  The offer stated "Insurance and shipping included"....now the post office wants to only pay me $50 for $350 worth of posters

• Options
    mwplum said:

That's where I'm headed.  I hate to do it but she should have protected herself....and she suggested that she did when she said "Shipping and insurance included".  To me that suggests that the total price would be insured....not $50.  I told her that at a minimum she should have shipped them separately so I could get $50x3.

If I return them I will send her the $50 check I got from the USPS.  That would be fair.

• Options
    mwplum said:

This is crazy talk.   Buyer and seller agreed on a price.  It has nothing to do with whether a refund is owed or not due to product damage.  Absolutely ludicrous, immature argument.   Whining that someone is selling a poster for what it is worth (unless the buyer likes overpaying).   Ridiculous.  Get in line early if you want to pay original cost.  If not, than pay market.  Very simple.
    Yes buyer and seller agreed on a price but seller said "shipping and insurance included"....it (insurance) clearly was not included.  That leaves me with very little recourse except to return it.

• Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    edited September 2018
    mwplum said:

That's where I'm headed.  I hate to do it but she should have protected herself....and she suggested that she did when she said "Shipping and insurance included".  To me that suggests that the total price would be insured....not $50.  I told her that at a minimum she should have shipped them separately so I could get $50x3.

If I return them I will send her the $50 check I got from the USPS.  That would be fair.
    1. If she had known how to properly ship, she should not have shipped them separately unless they were 3 separate transactions.  I would not have unless you paid me the extra money. I understand your argument of “I could have gotten $50 three times” but this defeats the purpose of combined sales, which is what I assume you did (paid once combined price instead of 3 separate times).  It’s also not your concern how many $50 you could have gotten.  Insurance is not your problem here, you’re not the seller.  You’re entitled to your item in it’s promised condition, or a partial refund and you keep the item, or a full refund. 

2. Even if she had insured the package for the full amount, USPS would not accept her claim since the damage was done by weather, which falls under “an act of God”.  It would take a lot of appeals to even convince them that this was their fault.

3. Don’t send her the $50 check, just take a partial refund of your price minus $50.  Getting your full amount and then sending her $50 is just adding an unnecessary step to all of this.
    Post edited by MickeyMouse on
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    mwplum said:

1. If she had known how to properly ship, she should not have shipped them separately unless they were 3 separate transactions.  I would not have unless you paid me the extra money. I understand your argument of “I could have gotten $50 three times” but this defeats the purpose of combined sales, which is what I assume you did (paid once combined price instead of 3 separate times).  It’s also not your concern how many $50 you could have gotten.  Insurance is not your problem here, you’re not the seller.  You’re entitled to your item in it’s promised condition, or a partial refund and you keep the item, or a full refund. 

2. Even if she had insured the package for the full amount, USPS would not accept her claim since the damage was done by weather, which falls under “an act of God”.  It would take a lot of appeals to even convince them that this was their fault.

3. Don’t send her the $50 check, just take a partial refund of your price minus $50.  Getting your full amount and then sending her $50 is just adding an unnecessary step to all of this.
    No they were three separate sales. 

I think ebay is going to pull the money back from her and give it to me...they even sent me a shipping label.  That's why I was thinking I should send her the $50 via PayPal

• Options
    mwplum said:

I think ebay is going to pull the money back from her and give it to me...they even sent me a shipping label.  That's why I was thinking I should send her the $50 via PayPal
    Ok if they were 3 separate sales then I retract my combined shipping point.  And yes, if they already sent you a label then they have already taken the funds out of her account.  You will get the money when she approves the return (I think she has 4 days to approve it, and then eBay just automatically does it).  So yes, I'd just send her the $50 in that case.  I thought you were still talking it over with her.  
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Ok if they were 3 separate sales then I retract my combined shipping point.  And yes, if they already sent you a label then they have already taken the funds out of her account.  You will get the money when she approves the return (I think she has 4 days to approve it, and then eBay just automatically does it).  So yes, I'd just send her the $50 in that case.  I thought you were still talking it over with her.  
    I don't think they will grab the money from her until I actually ship it.  I already initiated the return and waited the 4 days....I was just thinking that the next step was like an ebay insurance type reimbursement rather than actually forcing the return.

• Options
    mwplum said:

I don't think they will grab the money from her until I actually ship it.  I already initiated the return and waited the 4 days....I was just thinking that the next step was like an ebay insurance type reimbursement rather than actually forcing the return.
    The minute you initiate a return, Paypal removes the funds.  I've been on the seller's side of a return before.  Unless she has a new thing they offer called "Funds Now", the money is already out of her hands while this process plays out.  So yea you might not get the money until the tracking shows as shipped or even delivered (not sure).  Anything else that she tries with eBay or Paypal has no bearing on your return/money.
  • Options
    mwplum said:

The minute you initiate a return, Paypal removes the funds.  I've been on the seller's side of a return before.  Unless she has a new thing they offer called "Funds Now", the money is already out of her hands while this process plays out.  So yea you might not get the money until the tracking shows as shipped or even delivered (not sure).  Anything else that she tries with eBay or Paypal has no bearing on your return/money.
    gotcha...interesting

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049

This was such a fun run of shows and merch and posters, yeah a few people are selling things and sometimes that sucks, but there are many more of us that had a killer experience at the shows and meeting people and seeing one of our favorite bands that it cant possible ruin the overall experience.

Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Yes, paypal puts the money in a holding account until the item is "delivered". Once delivered they will move the money to the buyers account. You can however initiate an appeal with eBay. In a case of an appeal they can't with hold funds from the buyer, but will pay you out on there dime. Obviously you must have a solid case, but it does happen. A friend of mine received a rock on the return, ebay made him fill out a "police report" and they paid him.
    "This melody, inside of me, still searches for a solution."
  • Options
    mwplum said:

Yes buyer and seller agreed on a price but seller said "shipping and insurance included"....it (insurance) clearly was not included.  That leaves me with very little recourse except to return it.

Got it.   I see now on the insurance included part.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    You’re all good, get your $ back.  Any flipper who is selling posters via eBay knows the rules that a seller on eBay lives by or they’d choose a different avenue to sell through.  That’s the risk they take- either they make $60 profit or more each poster if the sale goes through or they’re out $35 plus shipping if it gets banged up enroute.  Print your label and ship it back, sorry flipper, that’s how it works.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    I buy carrots from my local grocery store.  I could go buy carrots directly from the organic farm.  It's a long drive and I don't have the time. So, I pay the grocery store a higher price.  Then when I get to the cashier, I yell at her and accuse her of being a flipper and how dare they mark up the price of the carrots. 
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    I buy carrots from my local grocery store.  I could go buy carrots directly from the organic farm.  It's a long drive and I don't have the time. So, I pay the grocery store a higher price.  Then when I get to the cashier, I yell at her and accuse her of being a flipper and how dare they mark up the price of the carrots. 
    Yeah but when you drive home with your carrots they are carrots when you unpack them, not white dog turds  

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Milestone said:
    Yeah but when you drive home with your carrots they are carrots when you unpack them, not white dog turds  
    Hoping for organic white dog turds, at a minimum.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    Milestone said:
    That's a bit too simplyfied in my opinion...

To make the example more fitting: The organic farm is the same distance like the grocery store - The main reason it's faster to go to the grocery store and pay markup is that on the road to the farm you get stuck in heavy traffic which are mostly cars from grocery store cashiers :)
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    demetrios said:

Have these been shipped yet?
    Kearnsy