Painted Rocks

Is this a national or international thing or just here in the PNW? People are painting rocks and 'hiding' them. My wife is really into it. I plan to leave a few at Safeco. I found this one at White River Amphitheatre this weekend.

#FHP

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's definitely a thing a lot of places. We found one in the bushes at my work in MN. It had a link to an Instagram account on it and asked the next person to hide it and snap a picture of where it was find. I brought it home and we took it on our camping trip. The kids hid it at our campsite and some friends found it the next week. It's kind of a neat idea. Especially when you can track where the rock has traveled. The rock we found looked like a baby chick.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Horos said:
    Is this a national or international thing or just here in the PNW? People are painting rocks and 'hiding' them. My wife is really into it. I plan to leave a few at Safeco. I found this one at White River Amphitheatre this weekend.

Painted rocks are ALL over Ohio as well. 
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    tbergs said:
    It's definitely a thing a lot of places. We found one in the bushes at my work in MN. It had a link to an Instagram account on it and asked the next person to hide it and snap a picture of where it was find. I brought it home and we took it on our camping trip. The kids hid it at our campsite and some friends found it the next week. It's kind of a neat idea. Especially when you can track where the rock has traveled. The rock we found looked like a baby chick.
    Problem is they don't have a good tracking system. When my kids were kids we used to go geocaching and they would have travel bugs that were meant to be moved. Search for the bug and you could pull up a map showing it's travels.
    #FHP
    Found this one in Bremerton.

#FHP
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Well I'm not much of an artist but here's my first rock to be hidden at Safeco tomorrow.

#FHP
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If you are touching, moving, making rocks cairns or painting rocks in a state/provincial or national park that would make the person doing that an idiot...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    I have never heard of this, but it's a fun idea... I agree with Meltdown's comment about doing it in state/provincial or national parks though. This seems more like something that should be restricted to cities and towns, and kept out of actual natural settings IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited August 2018
    Only a moron would make a comment without actually knowing what they're talking about...

Sorry. This post was unnecessary. As far as I've seen it's an in town phenomenon. Still pretty hard to go hiking and not touch or move a rock. I have hiked a few times.
    Post edited by Horos on
    #FHP
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    i'm throwing painted rock into lake let's see if any one can find it .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    i'm throwing painted rock into lake let's see if any one can find it .....
     =) 
    #FHP
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Horos said:
    Only a moron would make a comment without actually knowing what they're talking about...

Sorry. This post was unnecessary. As far as I've seen it's an in town phenomenon. Still pretty hard to go hiking and not touch or move a rock. I have hiked a few times.
    Actually I know what I'm talking about .... When in a national/state park it is illegal to move nature on purpose ... fool
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Horos said:

Actually I know what I'm talking about .... When in a national/state park it is illegal to move nature on purpose ... fool
    Actually it's only illegal to remove rocks. The prefix makes a difference. But I guess you know what you're talking about.
    #FHP
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    Horos said:

Yeah, it's fun - I'd like to see painted rocks all over town! Me and my friends did this as kids in our neighborhood - I had no idea it was still a thing being done by grown ups. We'd steal rocks from neighbors' rock beds, lol, take them home, paint them up, and return them to the rock beds.... As far as I know, people enjoyed it (it was water soluble of course, so only the grumpiest grumps would have a problem with this IMO). I like the idea of painted rocks being placed in random locations even better.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Cool! I'll keep an eye out at Safeco. Fun times ahead, y'all.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    I see the book how to win friends and influence people is having an impact.

keep up the mediocre work.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Horos said:

you’re married?????  :tired_face:

who knew?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

who knew?
    his wife and kids?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mickeyrat said:
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

who knew?
    his wife and kids?

Probably Horos, too. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited August 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

who knew?
    his wife and kids?

Probably Horos, too. 
     come to think of it......
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

who knew?
    30 years Rob.
    #FHP
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Weezer rocks
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Horos said:

It seems to be spreading.  We find them here and there around Placerville.  There cool to come upon.

My girl friend made awesome painted rocks back when we were in high school.  She started doing these when she was around 15 or 16 so that would have been around '68 or so, so the idea goes back a ways.  In fact, I don't remember seeing any before hers.  The sad thing is, the one she gave me was amazing and I lost it years ago.  I sure wish I had it still.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If you are touching, moving, making rocks cairns or painting rocks in a state/provincial or national park that would make the person doing that an idiot...
    Eh, lighten up brosef!  You must be a real treat at parties lol

This is a debate that has gone back and forth in the backcountry community for decades and the only consensus ever reached is that if your opinion is that strong on the issue then you are missing the point and failing to achieve the positive benefits of visiting natural spaces.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Horos said:
    Wobbie said:
    Horos said:

who knew?
    30 years Rob.

:tired_face:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11