Options

Portland’s Patriot Prayer Rally Could Be Most Violent Since Charlottesville

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    So was it all hyped up or did some skulls get cracked? I haven’t seen the aftermath.
    Cops said some counter protesters threw something at them so they dispersed them right away with pepper guns and flash gernades. Not much happened after that except, in more typical Portland fashion, some counter protesters got in with the fascist group and had conversations with them. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    So was it all hyped up or did some skulls get cracked? I haven’t seen the aftermath.
    Cops said some counter protesters threw something at them so they dispersed them right away with pepper guns and flash gernades. Not much happened after that except, in more typical Portland fashion, some counter protesters got in with the fascist group and had conversations with them. 
    And then they all went and got some organic free range fair trade quad shots of espresso
  • Options
    And then they all went and got some organic free range fair trade quad shots of espresso
    Very much a possibility 
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Are there members of antifa here?
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    unsung said:
    Probably along with members of Q.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    unsung said:

unsung said:
    Probably along with members of Q.
    I'm thinking about starting up a group called Quantifa for people who don't know their head from their ass.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    I'm anti-fascist, I just haven't got my membership card in the mail yet.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    unsung said:
    Lol

Antifa is definitely the new boogeyman for the scared right 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    From what I have read this morning it sounds like the Portland pd did an excellent job of diffusing the situation.  Nice work. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    From what I have read this morning it sounds like the Portland pd did an excellent job of diffusing the situation.  Nice work. 
    I'm sure they were planned, prepared, and ready for the worst. Good job PPD
  • Options
    Why are these groups so prevalent in Portland?  I haven't been there in years but I envision a liberal pot smoking craft beer type of city.  Have things gotten worse for some reason?
  • Options
    Every time one of these type of rallies happens I think of the scene from The Blues Brothers when they drive through the Nazi rally on the bridge 

I fucking hate Illinois Nazi's lol
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    Lol

Antifa is definitely the new boogeyman for the scared right 
    It’s pitiful.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, not everyone agrees with that. Some eyewitness accounts by reporters covering the march say that the police targeted the counter-protesters, ordering them to disperse and firing flashbangs into their crowd when they did not, causing injury to some counter-protesters. When they also ordered the original protesters to disperse and they did not do so, the police didn't engage with them, and allowed them to continue their march. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, not everyone agrees with that. Some eyewitness accounts by reporters covering the march say that the police targeted the counter-protesters, ordering them to disperse and firing flashbangs into their crowd when they did not, causing injury to some counter-protesters. When they also ordered the original protesters to disperse and they did not do so, the police didn't engage with them, and allowed them to continue their march. 
    Yep I can totally see it happening that way did the cops do the same thing in Charlottesville? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why are these groups so prevalent in Portland?  I haven't been there in years but I envision a liberal pot smoking craft beer type of city.  Have things gotten worse for some reason?

What do you mean prevalent? It's really only one group, the Patriot Prayer; the Proud Boys are affiliated and mostly out of towners, from what I read. The leader of the PP is the one instigating these and says he will keep planning his marches until he gets what he wants, whatever that is.

Unfortunately, it's clear that every city has these white supremacists. It's just that now they feel comfortable coming out, because they have approval from the highest offices of the country. The PP seems to be somewhat better organized than most. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

What do you mean prevalent? It's really only one group, the Patriot Prayer; the Proud Boys are affiliated and mostly out of towners, from what I read. The leader of the PP is the one instigating these and says he will keep planning his marches until he gets what he wants, whatever that is.

Unfortunately, it's clear that every city has these white supremacists. It's just that now they feel comfortable coming out, because they have approval from the highest offices of the country. The PP seems to be somewhat better organized than most. 
    Prevalent as in this is the third protest in portland this summer...I would say that is prevalent.  Why are they protesting in Portland?  Why are they comfortable in that city?  Why are hate groups on the rise in Oregon?

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/02/oregon_plays_prominent_role_in.html

Oregon, with its population of just over 4 million, appears to have a disproportionate number of hate-based organizations within its borders. (The U.S. overall has nearly 325 million people.) Below are the SPLC-listed hate groups that are based in or have chapters in Oregon or southwestern Washington. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/states-with-the-most-hate-groups/ss-BBJuVYZ?fullscreen=true#image=5

7. Oregon

> Hate groups: 4.4 per million people
    > Number of hate groups: 18
    > Pct. pop. identifying as white: 84.4% (16th highest)
    > Pct. pop. foreign born: 9.6% (18th highest)

Hate groups are a growing problem in Oregon. The SPLC counted 18 active hate groups in the state in 2017, up from just 11 the year prior. New groups identifying as white supremacist, racist skinhead, and neo-Nazi largely accounted for the growth. Nationwide, the number of black nationalist groups, while still nowhere near the count of groups that adhere to forms of white supremacist ideology, grew to 233 from 193 the previous year. As of last year, Oregon was home to three black nationalist groups, which are typically characterized by anti-white and anti-Semitic ideas as well as opposition to integration and interracial marriage.

It seems the rise in organized hatred in Oregon has not gone unnoticed. The City of Portland recently announced a $350,000 grant to support organizations working with Portland United Against Hate. The group tracks and reports acts of hate and provides support and protection in communities throughout the state’s largest city -- which itself is home to three hate groups.

https://apnews.com/72be678fb5a748c388128269a10f24f4

The rally organized by Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson was the third to roil Portland this summer. Two previous events ended in bloody fistfights and riots, and one counter-protester was sent to the hospital with a skull fracture.

This time, Gibson changed the venue from a federal plaza outside U.S. District Court to a waterfront park so some of his Oregon supporters could carry concealed weapons as they demonstrate.

Gibson’s insistence on bringing his supporters repeatedly to this liberal city has crystallized a debate about the limits of free speech in an era of stark political division. Patriot Prayer also has held rallies in many other cities around the U.S. West, including Berkeley, California, that have drawn violent reactions.

But the Portland events have taken on outsized significance after a Patriot Prayer sympathizer was charged with fatally stabbing two men who came to the defense of two young black women — one in a hijab — whom the attacker was accused of harassing on a light-rail train in May 2017.

Dueling protests a month ago ended with Portland police declaring a riot and arresting four people. A similar Patriot Prayer event on June 4 devolved into fistfights and assaults by both sides as police struggled to keep the groups apart.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Portland, like a lot of the northwest, has had a very conflicted population since around the early 70's.  That's when a lot of Californians and more liberal types started moving north (but of course, not that all Californians are liberal).  Up until that point, the main industry in the north was logging, paper and lumber mills, and commercial fishing. Those people were very predominately white and often fervently anti-environmental, anti-liberal hard core right wing.  Despite all the logging, the northwest was still less damaged than California, and  hippies and other left leaning people who wanted to be pseudo back-to-the-land types began to infiltrate the area and form communes or try their hand at living a rural lifestyle (many of them failed at that, including some people I've known who tried.)

So now you have this very spit and divided population- sons and daughters of loggers, mill workers and fishermen, and those who came after seeking a more liberal, nature oriented environment (which has become a bit of a joke as the northwest has become more and more overrun with humanity.  Those areas will become more congested as people from down here flee the increasingly fire ravaged and hot areas of California and Southern Oregon). 

The same is true of some of the coastal northern California towns.  Arcata, Ca. is a very liberal college town and just a few miles to the south is Eureka where not long ago you would see bumper stickers that said, "Earth First! Then we'll log the other planets".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Awesome answer Brian. That was the explanation I waa looking for.  ThNk you. And it makes perfect sense. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Awesome answer Brian. That was the explanation I waa looking for.  ThNk you. And it makes perfect sense. 
    Sure thing!

lOve ThaT crEative speLLinG, mCg!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Portland, like a lot of the northwest, has had a very conflicted population since around the early 70's.  That's when a lot of Californians and more liberal types started moving north (but of course, not that all Californians are liberal).  Up until that point, the main industry in the north was logging, paper and lumber mills, and commercial fishing. Those people were very predominately white and often fervently anti-environmental, anti-liberal hard core right wing.  Despite all the logging, the northwest was still less damaged than California, and  hippies and other left leaning people who wanted to be pseudo back-to-the-land types began to infiltrate the area and form communes or try their hand at living a rural lifestyle (many of them failed at that, including some people I've known who tried.)

So now you have this very spit and divided population- sons and daughters of loggers, mill workers and fishermen, and those who came after seeking a more liberal, nature oriented environment (which has become a bit of a joke as the northwest has become more and more overrun with humanity.  Those areas will become more congested as people from down here flee the increasingly fire ravaged and hot areas of California and Southern Oregon). 

The same is true of some of the coastal northern California towns.  Arcata, Ca. is a very liberal college town and just a few miles to the south is Eureka where not long ago you would see bumper stickers that said, "Earth First! Then we'll log the other planets".

Good run down. I’ll also add that there’s a strong value placed on activism and expressing your beliefs and also being active in creating change. I’ve lived in areas where people tend to be apathetic and Oregon is not that way. Both people on the right and left want to express themselves. Another thing happening is white supremacist groups are feeling validated by trump. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Good run down. I’ll also add that there’s a strong value placed on activism and expressing your beliefs and also being active in creating change. I’ve lived in areas where people tend to be apathetic and Oregon is not that way. Both people on the right and left want to express themselves. Another thing happening is white supremacist groups are feeling validated by trump. 
    Good points, GB. 

Even so-called "liberal" California has it's share of hate groups.  Man, I would not want to be stuck in some place like Alturas or Susanville, California!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sure thing!

God damn I phone lol. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sure thing!

God damn I phone lol. 
    :lol:

• Options
    Trillion dollar company and their autocorrect still stinks lol

Why does auto correct suck so bad? One of you smart folks can break that down for me? Spell check from 20 years ago was better
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Why does auto correct suck so bad? One of you smart folks can break that down for me? Spell check from 20 years ago was better
    I always turn it off right away and go with the red underline. 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I always turn it off right away and go with the red underline. 

This will be one of the next moves I make. Good call.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    unsung said:
    I am a member. I have a welcome pack which I received upon signing up.
    It includes a membership card, a pen, a notepad, a scarf and backpack.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Too bad you weren't one of the first 100 members who got the free guitar by signing up early!

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    I got a decoder ring in mine, didn't you get one? 

Image result for decoder ring