Options

Marvel actors supporting James Gunn

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
edited July 2018 in A Moving Train
The cast of the Marvel ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ movies have released an open letter in support of James Gunn, the director who was recently fired because of very offensive tweets he’d sent out years ago.

It’s important to note that they are not supporting the jokes he made - there are hundreds of comments on the post accusing them of supporting a pedophile and an abuser. They are, however, supporting the person he has become and the apologies he’s made.

Thoughts on this? Should someone be judged solely on jokes they made years ago (the tweets were in very bad taste, and there were a lot of them), or do they have a right to prove they’ve changed? Are the actors taking a huge risk by standing up for their friend? Or are they right to support someone who they know well, and truly believe is a different person now?

Here is the letter, posted on Chris Pratt’s Instagram page and signed by the main cast:

“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)
Post edited by goldrush on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    I'm not sure (at least in America) that we recognize the idea of reform and rehabilitation. It makes sense to me, anyway, that rehabilitation of all sorts is somewhat rare and even more scarcely recognized because rehab and reform are not encouraged.  Look at our prisons- how often are they really trying to reform inmates?

If Gunn  made apologies that seem sincere and his behavior has changed, I say give the guy a chance.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    The internet twitter and comment sections ... vigilant for the next outrage and ready to burn souls followed by playing some candy crush before going to bed

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    I think we give far too much credit for old tweets and far to little for current behavior.

This rush to ruin anyone that makes a mistake is ridiculous.  We all do stupid things. In high school while I wasn’t mean to homosexuals directly, I used to use the word “gay” to mean stupid. I also use to think it was strange and we could put them all on 1 island and see if they’d survive....as if that was any indicator of anything. Thankfully I was allowed to grow up and learn and become a better person.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    "reform and rehabilitation"

He made some shitty jokes 10 years ago. Come on now.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Comedians have a tough go at things nowadays.

You can't joke about anything off-colour or taboo anymore.

I read his tweets and you could tell is joking about things but I guess people take offense to everything.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Comedians have a tough go at things nowadays.

You can't joke about anything off-colour or taboo anymore.

I read his tweets and you could tell is joking about things but I guess people take offense to everything.
    This
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

How Marvel film director James Gunn was demonised by the alt-right

The Guardians of the Galaxy director was fired after old, offensive tweets came to light. But who was behind the revelations?

Gunn was removed as director of the third film in the successful Disney/Marvel series when a number of years-old tweets were dug up and spotlighted by alt-right conspiracists, spearheaded by the blogger Mike Cernovich – previously best-known for the ridiculous “Pizzagate” conspiracyand with a track record for mendacious claims about left-leaning figures’ involvement in paedophilia.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/01/james-gunn-alt-right-marvel-film-director-tweets