$15 minimum wage

Comments

• Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:
    Since you asked so nicely...

The tip should be based on the pre tax subtotal and not the post tax final total.

I often find that the calcs provided are after tax.  You don't tip the tax.
    If that's really your argument, you're an idiot.  Also, if you're not tipping on the total bill, you're a cheap ass.  That's really a sad argument to make.  

Also, you didn't address a computer getting math wrong.  You addressed the input.  If you're not smart enough to input the total minus tax (cheap), then you shouldn't be worrying about any of this to begin with.  

Brian - we've gone back and forth before, and I really try to respect your opinion.  I'm not going to argue without you on this.  But I'll say, when you start agreeing with the most ignorant poster in this fanclub, you're on the wrong side.  
    I thought we were talking about what is considered a "standard tip" amount.  Personally, I'm a high end tipper.  Maybe I should have made that clear.  I know how hard restaurant employees work. I know most are underpaid restaurant workers are and if they give good service, they deserve a good tip.  If I get really bad service and the server has attitude, they get a low tip.  If I get mediocre service with little friendliness, I  tip standard because anything else would be rude. If I get good service, I give more than the basic tip and if I get great service, I give generously.  The other thing I do, because I work (literally) on Main Street, is talk up good eateries in our area to our bookstore customers.  The Bookery is a source of some of the best free restaurant advertising in Placerville.  We really support our better restaurants, big time.

As for taking sides, I'm on the planet's side.  Earth first.
    Ok, maybe I misunderstood what it was you were saying.  I know you're on the Earth's side.  No harm no foul.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Gtilley8 said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

The tip should be based on the pre tax subtotal and not the post tax final total.

If that's really your argument, you're an idiot.  Also, if you're not tipping on the total bill, you're a cheap ass.  That's really a sad argument to make.  

Also, you didn't address a computer getting math wrong.  You addressed the input.  If you're not smart enough to input the total minus tax (cheap), then you shouldn't be worrying about any of this to begin with.  

Brian - we've gone back and forth before, and I really try to respect your opinion.  I'm not going to argue without you on this.  But I'll say, when you start agreeing with the most ignorant poster in this fanclub, you're on the wrong side.  
    I thought we were talking about what is considered a "standard tip" amount.  Personally, I'm a high end tipper.  Maybe I should have made that clear.  I know how hard restaurant employees work. I know most are underpaid restaurant workers are and if they give good service, they deserve a good tip.  If I get really bad service and the server has attitude, they get a low tip.  If I get mediocre service with little friendliness, I  tip standard because anything else would be rude. If I get good service, I give more than the basic tip and if I get great service, I give generously.  The other thing I do, because I work (literally) on Main Street, is talk up good eateries in our area to our bookstore customers.  The Bookery is a source of some of the best free restaurant advertising in Placerville.  We really support our better restaurants, big time.

Ok, maybe I misunderstood what it was you were saying.  I know you're on the Earth's side.  No harm no foul.  
    :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    edited July 2018
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

I’ve never heard of anyone tipping in tax before. Let alone being called cheap for not doing it. I’d have to be with unsung in this one.
    Seemed a few really jumped down his throat on this one too. He never said the computer gets the math wrong. He was making a statement about the automatic tip amount that are provided to customers, what is entered is beyond their control. When being presented with a bill and it gives options to tip 15, 18 or 20%, choosing to top on tax or not on those automated tips is never an option. It’s not a matter of “if you’re not smart enough....” in the example he was responding to.
    I find him extreme in most examples, but I agree with Unsung on this one and the negative replies didn’t even address his point.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Dude this is over the top harsh. It appears you are bringing in the posters other topic opinions to bash him on this one.

What he is saying isn’t thst bad....tipping on the cost of the food is pretty standard.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Why do you fee the need to call yourself a “high end tipper”?  Some of the most annoying people in this world are the ones thst like to put other people down for tipping. I do wish thebemlloyees we’re just paid a standard wage and thst tipping was truly for above and beyond service. The fact that a tip is expected and there can be too small a tip is just stupid.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Dude this is over the top harsh. It appears you are bringing in the posters other topic opinions to bash him on this one.

What he is saying isn’t thst bad....tipping on the cost of the food is pretty standard.  
    Ok, you're probably correct in that assessment.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

You're a peach.  Taxation is theft, you don't tip based on the govt cut.  You tip based on the food and service.

And again the calc is wrong if the input is wrong.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    edited July 2018
    unsung said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

You're a peach.  Taxation is theft, you don't tip based on the govt cut.  You tip based on the food and service.

Whenever you say "tax is theft" you remind me of Chris Rock.

https://youtu.be/5dO83yu-IFs
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    In Ontario with new 14/hour minimum I've spoken to many people now who say the forgo tipping.  
    That's just ridiculous and cheap. Make your own food and do your own dishes then.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Why do you fee the need to call yourself a “high end tipper”?  Some of the most annoying people in this world are the ones thst like to put other people down for tipping. I do wish thebemlloyees we’re just paid a standard wage and thst tipping was truly for above and beyond service. The fact that a tip is expected and there can be too small a tip is just stupid.
    OK, what I said sounded arrogant as hell and I did not mean to be annoying, let alone to be one of the most annoying people in the world!  And I'm sorry if you interpreted what I said as putting other people down.  That was not my intent.

What I mean is that I try to be conscientious with tipping and, when called for generous.  Service work is difficult and often underpaid.  I've done enough of it in my life to know. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    tbergs said:
    In Ontario with new 14/hour minimum I've spoken to many people now who say the forgo tipping.  
    That's just ridiculous and cheap. Make your own food and do your own dishes then.
    No it's not.  And I never said that was me.  Do you tip every single person in the service industry.  If you say you do, I call bullshit.  Why should people tip a waitress/waiter making 14/ as opposed to the cashier at wal mart...both are on their feet all-day.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    In other counties where wages are higher ... “livable minimum wage” they don’t tip. Why would it be different if wages were raised to that level in the US or Canada?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

OK, what I said sounded arrogant as hell and I did not mean to be annoying, let alone to be one of the most annoying people in the world!  And I'm sorry if you interpreted what I said as putting other people down.  That was not my intent.

What I mean is that I try to be conscientious with tipping and, when called for generous.  Service work is difficult and often underpaid.  I've done enough of it in my life to know. 
    Wasn’t meaning to call you annoying. Just saying you shouldn’t have to feel like you must justify yourself to the annoying people. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Thanks!  

Taxation is theft?  Is there waste?  Sure.  But it's also part of the social pact.  You can't hardly look around anywhere and not see the fruits of tax dollars and their positive effect on society.  Roads, public schools, grants to universities that have furthered scientific and medical knowledge.  I'll just never get that mindset.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Wasn’t meaning to call you annoying. Just saying you shouldn’t have to feel like you must justify yourself to the annoying people. ;)
    Got it!  Thanks for clarifying!

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Thanks!  

Taxation is theft?  Is there waste?  Sure.  But it's also part of the social pact.  You can't hardly look around anywhere and not see the fruits of tax dollars and their positive effect on society.  Roads, public schools, grants to universities that have furthered scientific and medical knowledge.  I'll just never get that mindset.  
    You can’t reason with the livestock for your daughter crowd. Stop trying.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    In other counties where wages are higher ... “livable minimum wage” they don’t tip. Why would it be different if wages were raised to that level in the US or Canada?
    Until that change becomes the norm or a part of the culture here, then I would expect to tip.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    No it's not.  And I never said that was me.  Do you tip every single person in the service industry.  If you say you do, I call bullshit.  Why should people tip a waitress/waiter making 14/ as opposed to the cashier at wal mart...both are on their feet all-day.
    I didn't mean you personally, I meant "you" in general sense.And yes, it is cheap, until a shift in the cultural norm occurs. Tipping people in almost any other industry isn't an expectation therefore it doesn't make any sense to even bring it up as an argument. You can go ahead and tip the Wal-Mart cashier if you want, but the expectation isn't there to do so. If you go to a restaurant and choose not to tip no matter what type of service you receive then that's just cheap and rude. Don't go out to eat if you don't want to be considered such. Again, I mean you in a general sense.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Thanks!  

When you’re speaking to someone who thinks public schools won’t exist in 20 years and university education is a crock, those won’t sound like compelling arguments. I assume that crowd drives on roads, though, so there’s that. Maybe even occasionally makes use of the fire department. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

Thanks!  

When you’re speaking to someone who thinks public schools won’t exist in 20 years and university education is a crock, those won’t sound like compelling arguments. I assume that crowd drives on roads, though, so there’s that. Maybe even occasionally makes use of the fire department. 
    Yeah, I agree with you.  I almost made the "roads" argument, but I assume the guy has paid taxes so I guess he's entitled to drive on them..... Even if he can't appreciate what it took to get them.  I just don't get it.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    mace1229 said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

I’ve never heard of anyone tipping in tax before. Let alone being called cheap for not doing it. I’d have to be with unsung in this one.
    Seemed a few really jumped down his throat on this one too. He never said the computer gets the math wrong. He was making a statement about the automatic tip amount that are provided to customers, what is entered is beyond their control. When being presented with a bill and it gives options to tip 15, 18 or 20%, choosing to top on tax or not on those automated tips is never an option. It’s not a matter of “if you’re not smart enough....” in the example he was responding to.
    I find him extreme in most examples, but I agree with Unsung on this one and the negative replies didn’t even address his point.
    cheers.
  • Options

Gtilley8 said:
    unsung said:

cheers to you as well
  • Options
    I tip going in to a dinner at 20% and add or deduct from there based on the experience.

Since breakfast is cheaper I probably end up around 30% as long as nothing bad happens.

I always tip based on the pre tax subtotal.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    I tip going in to a dinner at 20% and add or deduct from there based on the experience.

Since breakfast is cheaper I probably end up around 30% as long as nothing bad happens.

You are on point in this one 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    We have had $15 minimum wage here for a while and nothing changed. Just like when they legalize weed or when they eventually institute Guaranteed Income of $20,000, nothing will change.
    People spend way to much time worried about the little things like this. The government does this stuff on purpose because they know it will cause debate and take everyone's eyes off what they are really doing.  :lol:

• Options
    Talked to no less than 20 people today about tipping.  Not one had ever heard of not tipping off the total bill.  I get that it might be a thing in some places to subtract tax, but by no means is that the norm or even standard practice.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    unsung said:

Finally something we can agree on.
    Why would anyone tip the fee that goes to the govt.?
    The other night I went to dinner and the tab for the 2 of us was about $78 plus roughly 10% for the state and local govt. I rounded up to $100 putting the tip at close to 20%. 
    Very few people I know of tip on the total tab.
    When you do the math it can be a little at a breakfast joint or a lot at a high end steak house.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Sounds like it’s regional. I had never heard of not tipping off the total bill. That’s just standard anywhere I’ve gone. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I tip based on the pretax. The tax added on the bill has nothing to do with the tip. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Tipping: it's kind of strange and confusing custom, isn't it?  I do OK with the math but some people have difficulty with it.  And there is no set percentage or pre- or post-tax standard.  Some say 15%, some say 20%.  Some say before tax, some say after.  Seems to me it would be a whole lot easier if people were paid a decent wage for the work they do and they either perform well enough to maintain their job, or very well enough to be promoted, or poorly enough to be let go. 

I'm kidding (sort of) when I say this, but I think this is yet another example of how left brained people like to manipulate how the world is run.  But then I'm a bit more right brained, so I could be full of water color, stream of consciousness and guitar feedback.