Sharp Objects (HB0)

Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
edited July 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Two episodes into this 8 episode series and am enjoying this very much.
Amy Adams is fantastic as usual, along with Patricia Clarkson.
Small town murder mystery with fantastic writing and seamless editing that bridges the gap between present, past and possibly psychotic. The visuals help keep you off balance as to what is which, and show the fragility of Amy Adams character, Camille.
Episode 3 is this Sunday.
And so you see, I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.
Post edited by Dr. Delight on

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    Yes, on this as well. Read an article about her and this show was brought up. Sparked my interest. Wife is into it too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • I'm going to do it! I watched a preview and it looked great.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Is this based on the book of the same title by Gillian Flynn?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    brianlux said:
    It is. She wrote three of the eight episodes.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    It is. She wrote three of the eight episodes.
    Well I'll be!  Must look into this!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    On my list..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I've watched the first 2 and really like it so far.  Haven't read the book so no idea what to expect.  Some wild imagery with the constant flashbacks. And some super weird shit going on with that family...especially the mother.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Watched the first one and am intrigued.  I will stop my Brooklyn Nine-Nine binge long enough to watch more.
    Hope it doesn't end like a wet fart as other work by this author.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    I am watching, kind of like True Detective-lite, but decent so far.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    I am watching, kind of like True Detective-lite, but decent so far.
    Definitely has a True Detective vibe to it.
    Man, this show is very well done. Am intrigued to find out more backstory.

I am leaning toward Amma as the culprit or at a minimum the ringleader.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I'm going out on a limb an predicting Adora as the ringleader and Alan as the muscle who pulls the teeth and does the killing.
    edited July 2018
    Poncier said:
    I'm going out on a limb an predicting Adora as the ringleader and Alan as the muscle who pulls the teeth and does the killing.
    huh. could be a part in why Adora is so adamant Camille stays out if it , other than "we just dont talk about such things".

Still though Amma at the farm and that look she gave Camille going out the back of that pen. Something more overtly sinister in her.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    Man, this show is very well done. Am intrigued to find out more backstory.

I am leaning toward Amma as the culprit or at a minimum the ringleader.
    Poncier said:
    Right in the middle with you guys. I think Amma did something that Adora ended up covering up for. She owns the Meat Processing farm and has the money to use. Maybe "the Lady in White" was real and is her. Though at the end we see Alan biting himself as to inflict harm on himself(like Camille) maybe suggests there could be something there with possible guilt.
    That last scene at the psych ward with the girl killing herself and Camille cutting herself up was brutal. The imagery/visuals in this show are nuts.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I fear this is going to end up being another 'no f-ing way you could figure out who did it from watching' show -- but trying to guess along, I also think Adora is the Lady in White and Alan is her muscle.  I think that Amma knows and it drove her nuts. 

I do suspect that at least one (but maybe more) of the characters we see Camille interacting with are not real.  (Perhaps the young lady that killed herself?)
    So trippy that anything is possible at this point.
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2018
    I'm really enjoying this series.

I'm hoping that things come together in a sensible or logical way as well. If it's a cult that worships aliens and sacrifices children which is at the core of the issue... eesh.
    dammit. wish this was on netflix to binge.

real hard to not get the audio book

Story moving slowly along. We have a tie in now of Amma being friends with both Natalie and Ann.
    Adora fired John Keene from his job at the farm.
    Interesting that John went to the baseball field of all places to look for another spider to put in Natalie's room...
    This is going to end up being just a psychodrama about Camille and how she can get past all of the bad shit.
    John Keene's shitty hand job giving, coo coo, girlfriend will turn out to have killed his sister and someone else random will have killed the first girl.

Hope I'm wrong.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Taking a puff or two from my special pen before watching this show is not a good idea!  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    .....so slow! Pick up the pace a bit!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    8 episodes that should have been 4.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’m only two episodes in. Sounds like I should stop there. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    it seems slow because we have two storylines. theres the backstory overlayed on the present.

have resisted getting the book on audible til after the series. It really would have been better on netflix as a binger.

• On a side note... I'm loving the 'In The Evening' intro played at parts to add to the dark theme of the series.

It actually made me order In Through The Out Door last week.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    That's a better album than you remember it being.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    That's a better album than you remember it being.

Fully agreed.

It was actually the very first Led Zeppelin album I began listening to. I eventually neglected it though- pushing it aside and preferring II, IV, Houses, III, Physical, and I over it (in that order)- but I've dusted that beauty off and am loving it right now!
    The music and how it is used is my favorite part about this series so far. 
    The music and how it is used is my favorite part about this series so far. 

Yeah I was glad when Camille retrieved the Zeppelin music after throwing it out the car window, would have been a shame for them to abandon that for the entire second half of the series.