Options

where is everyone staying for Wrigley?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    edited July 2018
    What is the best way to get from the airport to the magnificent mile? Uber?
    Flying into o hare
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
    Thanks bud!!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I have no idea where to stay. I've looked a few times and there are just so many hotels. I want to stay south of Wrigley. I'm thinking I'll have to stay in Indiana and take the train in but am so worried we wont have a train ride back out after the show and time is running out! Almost show time :rock_on:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Ummmm yeah. Literally just looked at transits website oh hell no this country girl will get lost for sure. Damn. That's a lot for someone unfamiliar with public transportation. Maybe I should find a decent hotel south of Wrigley and pray an uber will take me to and fro?
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    edited August 2018
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Ummmm yeah. Literally just looked at transits website oh hell no this country girl will get lost for sure. Damn. That's a lot for someone unfamiliar with public transportation. Maybe I should find a decent hotel south of Wrigley and pray an uber will take me to and fro?
    We're staying at the River Hotel. The farthest south I would stay is the congress plaza hotel.  I highly recommend taking the leap with CTA, if you stick to the train its all color coded and its integrated into google maps.

Post edited by SomethingCreative on
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,344
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    I Just returned from Foo Fighters shows at Wrigley. I ALWAYS take CTA from either O'Hare or Midway...it's so cheap and easy!! You want to pay to uber and sit in traffic...go right ahead. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Really? you can't figure out the blue line goes right from O'Hare into the Loop, and then can transfer to a red line if you need to go north? I transfer at Clark and Lake, blue to red...easy
  • Options
    gotthebottle said: by
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Really? you can't figure out the blue line goes right from O'Hare into the Loop, and then can transfer to a red line if you need to go north? I transfer at Clark and Lake, blue to red...easy
    Nope. I'm stupid.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,298
    Airbnb, located a short walk away from Wrigley
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited August 2018
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Just use GoogleMaps, it helps you map out transit. Easy peasy (I’d be lost without it!)
  • Options
    I'm looking at a room on the mile. Short walk to train. Just stressed if we miss our ride back after the show. And 315 total like wtf. I guess it is what it is.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,231
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    The blue line hands down. $2.75 and a short walk.
    Post edited by elvistheking44 on
  • Options
    RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 295
    edited August 2018
    Air B&B that is a 10 minute walk to Wrigley. 
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2018
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I'm looking at a room on the mile. Short walk to train. Just stressed if we miss our ride back after the show. And 315 total like wtf. I guess it is what it is.
    I’m at the Wyndham on Wacker.  Short 5 min walk to the subway.  Take red train to Addison St.  So easy a caveman could do it.  If you stay there, let me know and you could ride the subway with me if you want. My wife and I rode it in 2016 and had no problem. The subway train was crowded on the way back from the concert, but what’s a little BO from close people gonna hurt...
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    The only issue with the blue line from o hare is lugging around luggage on a potentially crowded train, then from the train to whatever hotel you’re at. For me, an Uber door to door is worth the extra few bucks for the convenience factor, but if we’re talking most cost effective without other factors, the train is the way to go. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I"m staying at the Westin on Michigan Ave, the red line runs quite late after the shows and there will be extra trains like 2016...don't worry ...Red line is reliable

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    The only issue with the blue line from o hare is lugging around luggage on a potentially crowded train, then from the train to whatever hotel you’re at. For me, an Uber door to door is worth the extra few bucks for the convenience factor, but if we’re talking most cost effective without other factors, the train is the way to go. 
    How much luggage do you need for a few days in Chicago? It's an airline CTA line, almost everyone has luggage, it's not that big a deal. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,745
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    I Just returned from Foo Fighters shows at Wrigley. I ALWAYS take CTA from either O'Hare or Midway...it's so cheap and easy!! You want to pay to uber and sit in traffic...go right ahead. 

Are you kidding me? Pfft!!!! We're talking g about Mcgruff here...that guy wipes his ass with Ben Franks!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    How much luggage do you need for a few days in Chicago? It's an airline CTA line, almost everyone has luggage, it's not that big a deal. 
    I don’t need any because I live here. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    bbiggs said:
    A backpack is your friend.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t remember it being a hassle, but I also only travel with a backpack carry on. Much easier than taking the AirTrain/subway combo from JFK to Manhattan if that helps as a basis for comparison for anyone. If you have checked bags, then any form of public transport will probably be a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare

Are you kidding me? Pfft!!!! We're talking g about Mcgruff here...that guy wipes his ass with Ben Franks!
    I have five kids bro! Any money saved is a beer or pizza earned. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    PP193448 said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I’m at the Wyndham on Wacker.  Short 5 min walk to the subway.  Take red train to Addison St.  So easy a caveman could do it.  If you stay there, let me know and you could ride the subway with me if you want. My wife and I rode it in 2016 and had no problem. The subway train was crowded on the way back from the concert, but what’s a little BO from close people gonna hurt...
    @foxyredla you have another companion with us as well to the red line to and from Wrigley. This is how we have always commuted to and from Wrigley. Like @pp193448 said its really easy to commute on the train to and from. We are also staying on Miracle Mile. Short walk to the train. We are staying at the Rafaello which is where the OP is staying as well. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,745
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare

I have five kids bro! Any money saved is a beer or pizza earned. 
    Oh shit! You're right. Mad props to you! I take back 7 or 8 of the "don't you ever work" comments I have made in the craft beer thread, though I reserve the right to make more in the future.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,947
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Just don't be intimidated by the crowd at the train after the show.  They will have extra trains running I'm sure so the crowd will move pretty quickly.  

And be sure to have your transit card loaded ahead of thime.  You don't want to wait in lines to add funds to your card and then have to wait in another line for the train.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
    Depends what time you fly in...if it's anytime after 3pm on a weekday, you'll be sitting in horrible traffic on the kennedy....blue line is usually faster.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
    Depends what time you fly in...if it's anytime after 3pm on a weekday, you'll be sitting in horrible traffic on the kennedy....blue line is usually faster.
    We land at 7:31AM.  Will we get stuck in the morning rush hour if we Uber or are we better off taking the train into downtown?  We're staying at the Tremont hotel.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
    We land at 7:31AM.  Will we get stuck in the morning rush hour if we Uber or are we better off taking the train into downtown?  We're staying at the Tremont hotel.
    What day do you arrive? 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    bbiggs said:
    KC138045 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Flying into o hare
    Uber for sure. 
    What day do you arrive? 
    Sorry I'm an idiot.  We get in Saturday morning.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018