Options

Vinlylize glasses the Latest Trend... Heartbreak

lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
edited July 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
This is the new trend of glasses? Called Vinlylize glasses? They are being handcrafted in Budapest, Hungary and are the latest craze? To be honest it breaks my heart and it’s disgusting to butcher LP Records for the latest fashion and I came across one pair for $525 on their website. I rather pay that for a hard to find record at $525.

I remembered London, England in 2012 where there was a stall selling clock vinyl’s which is an old trend and the latest at the time was vinyl bowls... put a record on top of the pot, then pour water on it and it sinks while it’s melting and turns into a bowl. The price tag was £5 and I said to the lady that the record alone was worth more and she acted like she never cared. I think I pissed her off to be honest.

If people don’t want their records anymore... hand them over to someone who will appreciate them. I do hope Pearl Jam will not go down that road with Vinlylize glasses because it will break my heart. Here’s the URL and I am not creating a link on this post https: //vinylize.com / My apologies for the rant.
Post edited by lanoisseforp on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    This is the new trend of glasses? Called Vinlylize glasses? They are being handcrafted in Budapest, Hungary and are the latest craze? To be honest it breaks my heart and it’s disgusting to butcher LP Records for the latest fashion and I came across one pair for $525 on their website. I rather pay that for a hard to find record at $525.

I remembered London, England in 2012 where there was a stall selling clock vinyl’s which is an old trend and the latest at the time was vinyl bowls... put a record on top of the pot, then pour water on it and it sinks while it’s melting and turns into a bowl. The price tag was £5 and I said to the lady that the record alone was worth more and she acted like she never cared. I think I pissed her off to be honest.

If people don’t want their records anymore... hand them over to someone who will appreciate them. I do hope Pearl Jam will not go down that road with Vinlylize glasses because it will break my heart. Here’s the URL and I am not creating a link on this post https: //vinylize.com / My apologies for the rant.
    Rant appreciated!  I agree, Ian
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    I just looked at this, what a horrible idea...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited July 2018
    I think they're okay. There are all kinds of styles, some that I don't like, some look pretty good. This is just innovative recycling, and there is definitely nothing wrong with that! This is way better than just using all new materials, no?? Brian, I'm especially surprised that you don't like this idea.
    Not all vinyl is worth saving - I'm sure most of you know that there are plenty of records people can't even give away for free and that used record stores won't even take.
    It's a shame they are costing too much though. That's the only part I have a problem with.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    I haven’t looked at the link but I have seen vinyl made into clocks and bowls and such. When I was able to read the artist, it was pretty clear that these were albums that were either so readily available or so frankly terrible that there are never going to be enough people who actually want to play them. Add in decades of being poorly stored; most were probably unplayable anyway. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think they're okay. There are all kinds of styles, some that I don't like, some look pretty good. This is just innovative recycling, and there is definitely nothing wrong with that! This is way better than just using all new materials, no?? Brian, I'm especially surprised that you don't like this idea.
    Not all vinyl is worth saving - I'm sure most of you know that there are plenty of records people can't even give away for free and that used record stores won't even take.
    It's a shame they are costing too much though. That's the only part I have a problem with.

I agree. I think this is a pretty cool way to recycle old records. Third Man Records made iPhone cases out of new vinyl a few years ago, so why not glasses? They are way too expensive though.

Of course, you’d want it to be a decent record. You wouldn’t want to end up with one pressed from a Nickelback album!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, first of all I think this is just trendy hipster nonsense, but there I go sounding like an old fart and I'm not old. Sorta not..  you know, haha! 

I don't mind the idea of recycling LPs that are beyond salvaging but I wonder who is making that determination?  I would rather that if the record is beyond playable, the whole thing gets melted down and made into something new and usable.

This also reminds me too much of customers who have bought books and told me, "I'm going to cut the pictures out of this book for my elementary school students art projects.   That makes me crazy.  How about using discarded magazines?  Ruining a book that is not totally trashed is sacrilegious!  Same with records. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree. I think this is a pretty cool way to recycle old records. Third Man Records made iPhone cases out of new vinyl a few years ago, so why not glasses? They are way too expensive though.

Of course, you’d want it to be a decent record. You wouldn’t want to end up with one pressed from a Nickelback album!
    or wouldnt you want a destroyed nickleback album made into something else.

Thats one less Nback record available!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, first of all I think this is just trendy hipster nonsense, but there I go sounding like an old fart and I'm not old. Sorta not..  you know, haha! 

I don't mind the idea of recycling LPs that are beyond salvaging but I wonder who is making that determination?  I would rather that if the record is beyond playable, the whole thing gets melted down and made into something new and usable.

This also reminds me too much of customers who have bought books and told me, "I'm going to cut the pictures out of this book for my elementary school students art projects.   That makes me crazy.  How about using discarded magazines?  Ruining a book that is not totally trashed is sacrilegious!  Same with records. 
    Well whatever records are being used, I think it's a given that they aren't in demand or aren't worth anything or in such high supply that using some to make glass frames is completely irrelevant. I think re-purposing all unwanted vinyl is a wonderful thing! Re-purposing literally every item in existence is a wonderful thing, including books that will never get read anyhow. Not to be a brat by saying it Brian, but your thinking on this reminds me of a hoarding mentality. I'm also not to clear about the hipster nonsense comment. If the glasses look good (to the buyer), how is that hipster or nonsense? As for price, well, it does seem pricey, but I type that while wearing my $600 Gucci eyeglasses, so it's actually ridiculous for me to even make that comment, lol! I don't think they are pricey specifically because they are made out of records. They're pricey because they are being marketed as designer glasses (with a unique aesthetic because they are made out of re-purposed vinyl records).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata