Eddie stop throwing tambourines

Comments

• electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    Sorry..not to make fun of , but reading this thread title just made me LOL...

"Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• BellaBella Posts: 120
    Glad to be of service
    Arnhem'06 Paris'06 Wembley'07 Manchester'09 Dublin'10 Belfast '10 Manchester1 '12 Manchester2 '12 Stockholm '12 Vancouver '13
    Vienna Berlin Stockholm Leeds Milton Keynes '14 Philly 2 nights  '16 MSG 2 nights '16 EV Dublin '17 Amsterdam 1 
    Padova Rome Prague Kraków Berlin '18
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    I'd go up to the front begging like anything, then when he throws one to me let it smack me in the face, draw blood, maybe a tooth out. Then I'd hopefully get invited backstage for an apology and loads of signed merch.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Bella said:
    ryph raph said:
    Bella said:
    You’ve not seen Eddie this tour then

Then maybe he should give it up.
    That’s what I’m saying. Give up the tambourine pish
    and focus on the singing

I meant touring and performing all together.

If he can't handle the physical aspect of touring

He Should Just Quit.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2018
    Hi! said:
    I say throw more instruments. Guitars, microphones, Matt could throw some drums, Boom could roll is B3 off the side of the stage. 

I want Stones Gibson Les Paul.

Followed by his Marshall stack.

Don't worry about me dropping them.

I played little league for 12 years.

I've got "Great Hands".

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• smdevinesmdevine Posts: 126
    Maybe he's out of breath because he's been sick and lost his voice, yet he's still putting in 2.5 - 3 hour shows. It's not like he stands still the whole time then wears himself out the last 15 minutes to give out meaningless tambos. I was rail for both Amsterdam shows and people on each side of me got them, not by begging. I thought the crowd surf at Amst2 to make sure just the right person got it was awesome. When has Ed (or anyone else in the band) done something they didn't want to do? I think not since The Birth of No...
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 1,989
    Hi! said:
    I say throw more instruments. Guitars, microphones, Matt could throw some drums, Boom could roll is B3 off the side of the stage. 

Post of the year!  I am crying with laughter here!  
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooom
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    Virtue said:
    Eddie is all about showing appreciation to the fans and this is one of the ways he does that. I understand it might make him tired but he’s going to be tired anyway during a long show and he’s in pretty good shape, he can handle it. For me being up front is about connecting with the band, not receiving material things. But if people do go up there for that reason alone then I think that’s pretty sad. I don’t like seeing super young kids in the pit at shows either to be honest, I do get the sense that their parents are more enthusiastic about them being there than they are. Especially because these shows go on so long I think a kid would like being in a seat a bit more but what do I know, I guess. The one other thing I completely disagree with is that Eddie giving out tambourines somehow makes him put less effort/energy/emotion into the songs. That just isn’t the case, and there’s a good chance he knows what he’s doing in terms of singing/performing at this point in his life, so he’s gonna do his thing,
    Tossing tambourines makes Eddie tired? I don't think that's what makes him tired. I think it's the 3+ hours of hard core performing before he starts tossing tambourines that does that, lol. (I know the OP was the first to suggest this theory)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    NO ONE IS NEARLY UPSET ENOUGH
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    I forget which two concerts I saw online ( I could find out but I'm tired), but I do remember seeing the same 20 something girl get a tambourine at two different shows from the same tour.

I should start fostering small kids...they all seem to make it to the rail by mid-show with their "dads"  ;)
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    Virtue said:
    Eddie is all about showing appreciation to the fans and this is one of the ways he does that. I understand it might make him tired but he’s going to be tired anyway during a long show and he’s in pretty good shape, he can handle it. For me being up front is about connecting with the band, not receiving material things. But if people do go up there for that reason alone then I think that’s pretty sad. I don’t like seeing super young kids in the pit at shows either to be honest, I do get the sense that their parents are more enthusiastic about them being there than they are. Especially because these shows go on so long I think a kid would like being in a seat a bit more but what do I know, I guess. The one other thing I completely disagree with is that Eddie giving out tambourines somehow makes him put less effort/energy/emotion into the songs. That just isn’t the case, and there’s a good chance he knows what he’s doing in terms of singing/performing at this point in his life, so he’s gonna do his thing,
    Totally agree. This band is a band for the fans and this is just a way that THE BAND shows their appreciation. These are the bands tambourines, not Eddies. Eddie just throws them because he doesn't have a guitar, bass or sticks. I don't want to say hate because it is strong word, but I heavily dislike when people say Eddie and the band or just Eddie. Without Stone, Jeff, Jack Irons, Eddie would not be in Pearl Jam. I do not line up for days to get a tambourine. I line up for days so I be as close as possible to people I truly feel a connection to. I do not want to says love because I do not know any of them. These guys are so important to me.
  • FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 714
    Hi! said:
    I was laughing at this... 
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I wouldn't mind getting a guitar from one of the guys. Hell, I wouldn't even box that thing up. I'd play the hell out of it, give the thing a decent home.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    Hi! said:
    I want one of those mysterious 360 degree spherical cameras that seem to pop up every now and again behind the amps. Also, those big ball lights/lighted stage balls that some in the band seem to dislike. I'm sure I could get it to fit in my rented smartcar. Or just put it on the roof and hold it while driving...but while still looking classy
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    i'll take a martin off of ed's hands.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    This is why I love the front. To feel. To be part of the connection.  This is London.  My hand after I had a massive panic attack in the queue  and made a fool of myself in front of many friends and strangers .  Ed held my hand for half a verse and the energy and high was the highest I ever felt.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    The same reason I do. In Berlin 2014 I shook his hand at the rail. In Stockholm I got to strum Mikes guitar during the Alive solo. Great times. This tour we are just home from Berlin after 4 weeks following them. Not once were we on the rail but had fantastic times with fellow PJ friends. Not once have I craved a tambourine
    Arnhem'06 Paris'06 Wembley'07 Manchester'09 Dublin'10 Belfast '10 Manchester1 '12 Manchester2 '12 Stockholm '12 Vancouver '13
    Vienna Berlin Stockholm Leeds Milton Keynes '14 Philly 2 nights  '16 MSG 2 nights '16 EV Dublin '17 Amsterdam 1 
  • StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    Virtue said:
    Totally agree. This band is a band for the fans and this is just a way that THE BAND shows their appreciation. These are the bands tambourines, not Eddies. Eddie just throws them because he doesn't have a guitar, bass or sticks. I don't want to say hate because it is strong word, but I heavily dislike when people say Eddie and the band or just Eddie. Without Stone, Jeff, Jack Irons, Eddie would not be in Pearl Jam. I do not line up for days to get a tambourine. I line up for days so I be as close as possible to people I truly feel a connection to. I do not want to says love because I do not know any of them. These guys are so important to me.
    Jack Irons? Been a while since you've been to a show, huh?
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    Tambourine: A Story

I fly from Denver to Lincoln to take in a show. 2014? 2015? One of the two... I travel for shows frequently; I don’t tour, just one, maybe two. However, I can never justify sitting in a line all day when I can be seeing the world, and always go when I go, which means, while not far from the stage, I’ve never been so close that I thought someone in the band would see me. 

Lincoln was different. Not to disparage the city, but I thought, “what’s there to see? This will be the show to line up and wait...” 

So I arrive at whatever time; not super early, just the most amount of time I can imagine waiting in a line. I’m still pretty far in the line. A quick count put me somewhere around 100 back, figuring people’s +1. At this point I’m even wondering if I should bother as its clearly not going to be a rail situation, but I wait it out because what else would I even do?

Time passes... and passes... why didn’t I bring a book?

The line is moving! Wait a minute, no it isn’t, people are just antsy... 20 minutes later... The line is moving! No. They are just moving us up 20 feet to the door. What had looked like 100 or so back now looks like 400. “Where did all these people come from? This looks fishy... maybe someone should have a notebook with numbers and names,” I thought... (haha jk).

We get inside, and a brusque security guard makes it clear if anyone runs, he’ll stop you and that will be that. So, I’m doing my best impression of Malcolm’s dad; imagining the brightly colored spandex body suit and aerodynamic helmet, I will the air particles around me.

I get down to the main floor and I am shocked that far fewer people seem to be filling the floor than I would have thought. I am pleasantly surprised that I am about 5 people back and what will be right between Eddie and Stone. This is by far the closest I had ever been, and I can hardly contain myself.

All show long, I am bouncing singing, throwing my long hair about. No matter where I am, I’ve never been able to be still at a show. The guy next to me is different. I do my best not to judge, and to try to understand, but it’s hard sometimes. First, he must be 6’3” and I know what it is like standing and craning behind that. Next, the only movement he ever seems to make is to move his weight from one foot to the other, or to look around at people, or look at his phone. He doesn’t appear at to notice the concert happening in front of him. The. Entire. Show. 

But anyway, I can’t focus or worry about the idiosyncratic behaviors of others with the spectacle before me.

The show is rolling along. Eddie mounts the rail right in front or us. The crowd pushes in; I raise my hand out. It is like an inch from his chest and I think, “if you jump you could touch him.” But, I don’t because that seems too much, just reach and take in the detail, which I could describe in great detail, but for fear of losing you, I’ll push forward. Eddie dismounts, the crowd eases back, and I notice Big Guy is standing where I left him. He did not push forward. “Someone must have brought him, and maybe he just doesn’t know the band,” I internally figure.

Rocking in the Free World is in full swing. I know we’re close to the end, but I am going to give it every drop of energy I can squeeze, after all the band is too. I’m going nuts. Bounce, bounce, head back, head up, woooooo, bounce, bounce, bounce, whoa almost fell, head back and up, and back and up, move your hair from you eyes. Hey, Eddie’s smacking two tambourines together. 

He starts going about the front of the stage pointing, making eye contact, clarifying with all around his intended target, and toss. Someone is ecstatic.

Bounce, bounce, jump, yeaaaaaaaah!, “keep on Rockin in th free world...” jump, head up head back, bonce bounce. 

Then he’s there. Directly in front of me. Pointing. My breath goes out. I can’t believe this is about to happen. I raise my hand out. Eddie points again. I reach again. One more point and the realization hits me. I imagine a beautiful woman smiling at me from across a room. She gives a soft cute wave. And, as I am about to smile and wave back, someone comes around me to greet her.

He is not pointing at me. He is pointing at tall, disinterested guy. Eddie points a fourth time. The guy isn’t even looking at the stage; he is not captivated by the music, either. He is just not paying any attention.

I have to tap him twice for him to look up. He looks at me bewildered. Did I wake him up? He seems to have no concept of his surroundings. I point to the stage. His gaze follows my finger. An acknowledgment, and the tambourine floats in slow motion over a smattering of hands within my arms each, and I watch as he catches it.... 

Bounce, bounce, jump, “keep on Rockin in the free world...” head back and up, bounce, jump, bounce, “keep on Rockin in the free world...”

"...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Mike D88 said:
    NO ONE IS NEARLY UPSET ENOUGH
    ARE YOU CALLING ME NOT UPSET BECAUSE I AM UPSET!

If Ed throws one more tambourine I swear to God....
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
    I want a tambourine ban. 
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806

Stryker said:
    Virtue said:
    Jack Irons? Been a while since you've been to a show, huh?
    Then again, I doubt he expected anything to top the 1998 tour (for good reason) and hasn't been since because of that. Those shows were the shit!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Am I the only one confused about how doing something during the last song of the show makes him tired during the first 25-30?
  • CDEANSEATTLECDEANSEATTLE Seattle Posts: 33
    When will the EV tambourines be available in the Ten Club store!
    Free with 3 month shipping crawl  at $30 more for the item and an additional %20 shipping for Canada :) 
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Tambourine: A Story

I fly from Denver to Lincoln to take in a show. 2014? 2015? One of the two... I travel for shows frequently; I don’t tour, just one, maybe two. However, I can never justify sitting in a line all day when I can be seeing the world, and always go when I go, which means, while not far from the stage, I’ve never been so close that I thought someone in the band would see me. 

Lincoln was different. Not to disparage the city, but I thought, “what’s there to see? This will be the show to line up and wait...” 

So I arrive at whatever time; not super early, just the most amount of time I can imagine waiting in a line. I’m still pretty far in the line. A quick count put me somewhere around 100 back, figuring people’s +1. At this point I’m even wondering if I should bother as its clearly not going to be a rail situation, but I wait it out because what else would I even do?

Time passes... and passes... why didn’t I bring a book?

The line is moving! Wait a minute, no it isn’t, people are just antsy... 20 minutes later... The line is moving! No. They are just moving us up 20 feet to the door. What had looked like 100 or so back now looks like 400. “Where did all these people come from? This looks fishy... maybe someone should have a notebook with numbers and names,” I thought... (haha jk).

We get inside, and a brusque security guard makes it clear if anyone runs, he’ll stop you and that will be that. So, I’m doing my best impression of Malcolm’s dad; imagining the brightly colored spandex body suit and aerodynamic helmet, I will the air particles around me.

I get down to the main floor and I am shocked that far fewer people seem to be filling the floor than I would have thought. I am pleasantly surprised that I am about 5 people back and what will be right between Eddie and Stone. This is by far the closest I had ever been, and I can hardly contain myself.

All show long, I am bouncing singing, throwing my long hair about. No matter where I am, I’ve never been able to be still at a show. The guy next to me is different. I do my best not to judge, and to try to understand, but it’s hard sometimes. First, he must be 6’3” and I know what it is like standing and craning behind that. Next, the only movement he ever seems to make is to move his weight from one foot to the other, or to look around at people, or look at his phone. He doesn’t appear at to notice the concert happening in front of him. The. Entire. Show. 

But anyway, I can’t focus or worry about the idiosyncratic behaviors of others with the spectacle before me.

The show is rolling along. Eddie mounts the rail right in front or us. The crowd pushes in; I raise my hand out. It is like an inch from his chest and I think, “if you jump you could touch him.” But, I don’t because that seems too much, just reach and take in the detail, which I could describe in great detail, but for fear of losing you, I’ll push forward. Eddie dismounts, the crowd eases back, and I notice Big Guy is standing where I left him. He did not push forward. “Someone must have brought him, and maybe he just doesn’t know the band,” I internally figure.

Rocking in the Free World is in full swing. I know we’re close to the end, but I am going to give it every drop of energy I can squeeze, after all the band is too. I’m going nuts. Bounce, bounce, head back, head up, woooooo, bounce, bounce, bounce, whoa almost fell, head back and up, and back and up, move your hair from you eyes. Hey, Eddie’s smacking two tambourines together. 

He starts going about the front of the stage pointing, making eye contact, clarifying with all around his intended target, and toss. Someone is ecstatic.

Bounce, bounce, jump, yeaaaaaaaah!, “keep on Rockin in th free world...” jump, head up head back, bonce bounce. 

Then he’s there. Directly in front of me. Pointing. My breath goes out. I can’t believe this is about to happen. I raise my hand out. Eddie points again. I reach again. One more point and the realization hits me. I imagine a beautiful woman smiling at me from across a room. She gives a soft cute wave. And, as I am about to smile and wave back, someone comes around me to greet her.

He is not pointing at me. He is pointing at tall, disinterested guy. Eddie points a fourth time. The guy isn’t even looking at the stage; he is not captivated by the music, either. He is just not paying any attention.

I have to tap him twice for him to look up. He looks at me bewildered. Did I wake him up? He seems to have no concept of his surroundings. I point to the stage. His gaze follows my finger. An acknowledgment, and the tambourine floats in slow motion over a smattering of hands within my arms each, and I watch as he catches it.... 

Bounce, bounce, jump, “keep on Rockin in the free world...” head back and up, bounce, jump, bounce, “keep on Rockin in the free world...”

Just kidding, I actually enjoyed reading you story ;)

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    They should all pull trump masks out of their sweaty ballpits and huck em at the audience instead of tambourines.  It would kill 2 birds with one stone- take care of the political needs they have, and teach the the folks lining up to catch a freebourine that they got a sweaty ballmask instead.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    To sell on ebay....auth. pj ballsweat!!!
  • OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    ^^^^this
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    edited July 2018
    The whole go to the front rail thing and tamboribe throw a thon is old and tired. 

Remember when Mike used to solo on stage during alive? Now we can't see him and the solo is messed up by fan hands because he wants (or has to be?) closer to the crowd.

He can do this obviously do what he likes, but Alive is pretty uninspiring unless you're fifty people out of 20,000.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert