New Planets Being Born!!!

I'm not sure if this belongs in here or not but it's pretty exciting to see pictures of a planet being born!!!

This should be a game changer.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/02/world/newborn-planet-image-study/index.html

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The universe fascinates me to no end.  This is absolutely a game changer!  To be able to study planetary formation in relative time will lead us to a much better understanding of our own solar system, our own planet.  Not only planetary evolution but the evolution of life itself. Of course, we will be long gone by the time this planet reaches full form. But if we are able to find a planet in this stage - especially as close as it is - we will be able to find other planets not only in later stages of formation but also farther away, as knowledge and technology advance. We may eventually discover life elsewhere.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    The universe fascinates me to no end.  This is absolutely a game changer!  To be able to study planetary formation in relative time will lead us to a much better understanding of our own solar system, our own planet.  Not only planetary evolution but the evolution of life itself. Of course, we will be long gone by the time this planet reaches full form. But if we are able to find a planet in this stage - especially as close as it is - we will be able to find other planets not only in later stages of formation but also farther away, as knowledge and technology advance. We may eventually discover life elsewhere.
    You're the only one that showed love for a new planet actually getting it's picture taken while being born.

I guess here on the AMT if it's not distress and strife then no one cares, lol.

Bring on the chaos!!!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This is really cool to be able to get these images.
    I'm skeptical on how much we will be able to learn from this distance of observation, but it shows off the highly advanced techniques we've developed for peering inside solar systems.  This is like using a microscope to view a bug...that's way on the other side of the room.  It's very exciting.

The most pressing question in planetary formation is the accretion of liquid water and I wonder if this system will give any insight into this puzzle.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?