Options

What three books have had the greatest influence on your life?

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Horos said:
    Hobbes said:
    Three came to mind right away when this thread first posted. I took a few days to ponder alternatives but kept returning to my original three.

The Catcher in the Rye
    On the Road
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance 
    2nd time i've seen this mentioned now.  I will have to check this out.
    I can't believe @brianlux hasn't read it.

I've only read a handful of the books listed but Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is the only one on mine.
    I will have to remedy that!  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    A couple reference books that I really took in are The Little Brown Handbook which was a small, concise guide for writing that I got in my freshman English class in college.  I still have it to this day.  That and Mathematics and the Imagination which is basically a collection of thought-provoking mathematical applications to every day things - game & puzzle theory, number systems, geometric curiosities, and many, many other novelty topics such as understanding the googolplex, tracing the path of a trains wheels or a bomb dropping, etc.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,880
    Jack Kerouac - Big Sur
    Jack Kerouac - Dharma Bums
    Hunter S. Thompson - Fear and Loathing 

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I'll get back to you but, for sure, it wasn't the bible.

fricking hogwash.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    The three I think of as most influential are also nostalgic so maybe it is a factor in my choices.

Sam the Firefly - Dr Suess (and numerous titles of his).  My mom read this to me and it made me want to learn to read and began my love for books.

Watership Down-Richard Adam's. Don't remember exactly how old I was when I read it but it caused me to think about and question society, violence in the world and the status quo. Its dark but also whimsical and unique. I am thinking I should reread it now since I've forgotten a lot about it.

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings- Tolkien.  Talk about an AET! Just a great world to fall into. I was starting high school and met a couple of other kids who loved the books and made me a part of their group. They introduced me to Pink Floyd, the Doors, and pot. 
     B) 
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Wobbie said:
    I'll get back to you but, for sure, it wasn't the bible.

fricking hogwash.
    I'll get back to you also, I think one of them will be the bible though. :s
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    The Bible, I can't deny the influence in our culture.

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. Got me interested in the Harlem Renaissance. 

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esqiuval (may be spelled wrong), for many years I thought of food as magical because of this book. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    edited July 2018
    Cool topic. 

-The Divine Comedy
    -Nineteen Eighty-Four
    -Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

I can’t really quantify the "influence" these books that had on me but they’re definitely my three favorite works of fiction. 

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    It's interesting that the Bible has come up a number of times here.  I can see why, I just hadn't thought about it. 

I did read the Bible all the way through once.  Probably around 1978. 

Boy, Deuteronomy and Numbers! Those are the books that get poked fun at the most but having read the whole book and  looking back on it, those are the first books that came to mind, so I know they left an impact.   It's like looking at a Robert Motherwell painting.  It may be challenging at first, but you never walk away without it having some effect on you. 

King David let me down (getting away with murder is not my thing) but Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, were kind of cool precisely because they got so hot.   And Jonah getting swallowed by a whale and puked up on the shore-- epic!  Gives Moby Dick a run for its money.

The O.T. has plenty of great stories and poetry but I got bogged down with the prophets.  I struggled with them but I don't remember why.  Maybe because I thought they would be cool but they are actually pretty harsh and a bit scary. 

The N.T. starts off great with the whole story of Jesus thing (although I have to admit I preferred Nikos Kazantzakis's version and the film made from that).  Paul getting God-walloped was fascinating and he became a better man but then got hung up on too much legalism for my taste. 

I hated the ending.  Revelation, as grand as it in all it's apocalyptic gory glory, it's supposed to be about the good guys winning but its too much like the way today is in all the wrong ways. 

I never did find the part about people in the Bible taking magic mushrooms.  I think some hippie made that up.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2018
    1. Goonies- First "thick" book I read. Checked it out of a bookmobile.

2. The Bible- Most may not believe in this concept of god and jesus, but the teachings on love are........

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 English Standard Version (ESV)

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[a] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

3. A Constellation of Vital Phenomena- My favorite book, so it is the book I compare all the rest to.
    Title refers to the medical definition of life.
    Post edited by Malroth on
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    The fact that this thread has yet to mention The Great Gatsby is just plain sad. That book kicks Catcher's ass any day of the week.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    PJWGIII said:
    The fact that this thread has yet to mention The Great Gatsby is just plain sad. That book kicks Catcher's ass any day of the week.
    It's a classic, for sure. 

Tender is the Night as well.  Great stuff.

• Options
    Malroth said:
    1. Goonies- First "thick" book I read. Checked it out of a bookmobile.

2. The Bible- Most may not believe in this concept of god and jesus, but the teachings on love are........

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 English Standard Version (ESV)

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[a] 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

3. A Constellation of Vital Phenomenon- My favorite book, so it is the book I compare all the rest to.
    Title refers to the medical definition of life.
    Alright, cool!  A book I'm not familiar with.  Great title.  I'll have to check that one out.

• Options
    Malroth , I read the review on Goodreads.  Costellation sounds really good, thanks!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Malroth , I read the review on Goodreads.  Costellation sounds really good, thanks!

you are welcome.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    PJWGIII said:
    It's a classic, for sure. 

Tender is the Night as well.  Great stuff.
    I’m a fan of Fitzgerald’s later Hollywood work, including The Last Tycoon (unfinished) and The Pat Hobby Stories
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    There are some books that i really don't understand the hype about them. Catcher in the rye and 100 years of solitude, for example
  • Options
    There are some books that i really don't understand the hype about them. Catcher in the rye and 100 years of solitude, for example
    I'm that way with Kerouac's On The Road.  That's not to say I think it's a bad book, but for me it was pretty much a road to nowhere.  From Kerouac's generation of writers, I'm much more taken by Nathanael West, Gary Snyder, and a few others.  Charles Bukowski once said he really like poets and the idea of poetry more than actually reading poetry.  That's kind of how I feel about the beats.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I knew On The Road had a huge impact on musicians of the 60s before reading it but did not see why after I finished reading.
    It was an epic read but, such a long read.
    The movie is not bad.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    I would have to go with
    1. The Bible - Like Malroth said, even if you aren't a believer, it's teachings are still good and useful.
    2. Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - had to read this in high school and it really had an effect on me. Powerful themes of seeking your own truth as well as the totality of life's experiences leading to understanding.
    3. Practical C++ Programming from O'Reilly publishing - first programming book I bought, which led to a hobby and ultimately a career
  • Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    Treasure Island - When I was younger I loved anything to do with pirates (I am still fascinated by them), but even beyond that it started my love for all things nautical, and travel
    Lord Of The Rings/The Hobbit - I first got into these when I was younger as well and have revisited them many times. I have my mothers original first edition LOTR collection which is very special to me. 
    Trainspotting - This is just an all time favourite of mine that I can take with me wherever I go and I can always enjoy 
  • Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881

I enjoyed reading Catcher in school but what I enjoyed more was the lengthy discussions my class had about why some people disliked it and why they couldn't understand how much others loved it. Or the fascination with Holden Caufield's character. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I keep thinking about this thread and cannot think of which of the few books I have have had a great impact.
    I need to go through my collection and ponder.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014