All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• RP112579 said:
    jeffbr said:
    deadendp said:
    jeffbr said:
    This is an issue PJ created, enables and perpetuates. They can put a stop to it at any time. They've obviously chosen merch as their primary source of income and focus, so it is what it is. Music is now a secondary concern.
    I don't agree at all.  
    With which part? Neither? You don't think PJ created the scarcity, which created the demand? You don't think PJ could either increase supply or move merch booths inside to prevent non-ticket holders from doing a merch grab (thus further limiting supply to fans)? As far as my last sentence, the quality and quantity of their output of late informs my opinion there.
    The biggest myth is that the outdoor merch stand is full of non ticket holders in the line. I'd bet it's less than 1%. It's not hard to figure out that the fans are the flippers, the fans are the rafflers, the 10c members are the flippers, the 10c members are the rafflers. Some of the biggest money makers from merch are regulars in this forum. It's not just hundreds of random people who aren't fans standing outside to buy up all the merch to resell. If anyone thinks putting merch only inside of the venue will solve the "merch craze", you're wrong.
    Spot on. Most of the people complaining are probably also flippers who have been outflipped, too
  • GloriousGlorious Posts: 26
    edited July 2018
    IMHO, merch should only be sold inside the venue once you've had your ticket scanned in. Anything date/venue specific sold outside the venue loses it's actual specific (not monetary) value if it's not actually sold in the venue to people who have actually paid for a ticket.
    It's very rare I pick up a poster from a gig I haven't attended, such as the Metallica Manchester snake poster from last year as it was just so damn good. Sounds like I won't be getting one in London in a few weeks but I'm there for the show, not the merch :)
    Post edited by Glorious on
  • RC74272RC74272 Posts: 25
    edited July 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    on2legs said:
    Also... while I get that the artists don’t love the flippers, I know they must like seeing their posters getting big money on the secondary market.  None of them want their posters reprinted in an unlimited quantity and going for peanuts.  
    I am sure that artists are thrilled when they sell a poster for $100 and a flipper has it listed on ebay for $300 minutes later.
    Indeed. A clue to the artists' take on things might be the "say no to flippers" holograms being printed on the rear of the recent posters!
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    I just want a Prague event shirt, 1 pin and 1 sticker... Don't need them but I'd like to have them for me.
    The GMT event helped me get the poster for £35 while I was checking out of my hotel so that was very lucky. I will frame that one as my wife loved the trip and the artwork is nice in our opinion.
    As for the stickers and pin It's not to flip, it's to put in a box and never look at them very much again! But I will wear the shirt!!!  If I ever find one on eBay... 
    :-) 
  • Jamer196Jamer196 Posts: 336
    edited July 2018
    Already one from Berlin at 600$ on EBay...
    strange he says its AP and numered lol

From  the US...

Pearl Jam poster from the show on July 5th of 2018 in Berlin Germany at Waldbühne. This AP poster is numbered. 100% authentic - Any questions please message me before buying.Thank you”
  • pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Jamer196 said:
    Already one from Berlin at 600$ on EBay...
    strange he says its AP and numered lol

From  the US...

Pearl Jam poster from the show on July 5th of 2018 in Berlin Germany at Waldbühne. This AP poster is numbered. 100% authentic - Any questions please message me before buying.Thank you”
    Any questions? Message him and ask how he has an AP that hasn't even been sold yet.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    edited July 2018
    PJ-Cubs said:
    on2legs said:
    Also... while I get that the artists don’t love the flippers, I know they must like seeing their posters getting big money on the secondary market.  None of them want their posters reprinted in an unlimited quantity and going for peanuts.  
    I am sure that artists are thrilled when they sell a poster for $100 and a flipper has it listed on ebay for $300 minutes later.
    I’m pretty sure most artists, like people, like positive feedback on their work product.  And like it or nott, having your poster get the most in the secondary market is positive feedback.  They certainly don’t get that here.  Read some of the comments from people... words like it suck, awful, fugly are pretty common. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    on2legs said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    on2legs said:
    I’m pretty sure most artists, like people, like positive feedback on their work product.  And like it or nott, having your poster get the most in the secondary market is positive feedback.  They certainly don’t get that here.  Read some of the comments from people... words like it suck, awful, fugly are pretty common. 
    Not to mention it definitely boosts their hype depending on flipability from prior works. Helps them sell out more pieces that no one may have cared about before (whether liked or not)
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Gotta say..that Berlin poster is kick ass =)=)
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    on2legs said:
    Posters printed in huge quantities won’t sell.  Like it or not people like to buy limited things.  Look on eBay at the prices for the Binaural tour posters that were printed with all the cities on them. They printed them in huge quantities and you can barely give them away. 
    This 100%
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I guess.  I've been buying posters since I first noticed them on the '98 tour.   I framed and hung the better ones around the house.  I've also bought them from other bands (Soundgarden, GNR, Metallica, AiC, QoTSA etc..).  It's a cool souvenir to have from a show.  I've spent such a significant part of my life going to shows, they make for cool reminders.    It's just crazy how it's exploded the way it has. I've always wanted the same thing from every show I go to.  Tshirt and a poster.   It's crazy how difficult it is to give the band money now.  I see that line and I get discouraged.
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    Posters printed in huge quantities won’t sell.  Like it or not people like to buy limited things.  Look on eBay at the prices for the Binaural tour posters that were printed with all the cities on them. They printed them in huge quantities and you can barely give them away. 
    This 100%
    The binaural poster mentioned in the quote was a tour wide poster not a show specific print by a named artist.

The point is balance - I don't see any posts here suggesting they blindly print up "huge quantities". What people want is a sales model that will allow fan club members to buy the poster (via ticket election / pre-order etc).

Selling to 10C members would be a limited number of extra sales over the current model, no wastage or speculation. Extra $ for the band AND the artists, a decent member perk.  

on2legs said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    on2legs said:
    Not to mention it definitely boosts their hype depending on flipability from prior works. Helps them sell out more pieces that no one may have cared about before (whether liked or not)
    Only the artists themselves can confirm where the most value lies.

If I was in their shoes, there is of course value in the limited edition hype. BUT raising their profile is an indirect / intangible benefit when surely what you want to have is $ directly in your pocket on the actual work you alone have created 100%. That seems to me to be the biggest value available to any artist. By the time your work hits the secondary market, you've lost control: its past your point of sale, you are losing out on potential significant $. 

Also, this whole process / thread is about the band's merchandising requirements. While I totally respect the artists and their work, the driver behind merchandising is economic not artistic. Its ultimately about how much $ the band can take in from their fans, what value the artist is getting out of the system is not the #1 concern.  It's clear from numerous threads / comments that many fans feel they aren't being served by the current limited edition system on posters, tees etc. Fans want the product and have $ to give - why management (and the artists) wouldn't want to cash in remains a mystery to me.  

• stonesstones Posts: 187
    RC74272 said:
    on2legs said:
    PJ-Cubs said:
    on2legs said:
    Only the artists themselves can confirm where the most value lies.

If I was in their shoes, there is of course value in the limited edition hype. BUT raising their profile is an indirect / intangible benefit when surely what you want to have is $ directly in your pocket on the actual work you alone have created 100%. That seems to me to be the biggest value available to any artist. By the time your work hits the secondary market, you've lost control: its past your point of sale, you are losing out on potential significant $. 

Also, this whole process / thread is about the band's merchandising requirements. While I totally respect the artists and their work, the driver behind merchandising is economic not artistic. Its ultimately about how much $ the band can take in from their fans, what value the artist is getting out of the system is not the #1 concern.  It's clear from numerous threads / comments that many fans feel they aren't being served by the current limited edition system on posters, tees etc. Fans want the product and have $ to give - why management (and the artists) wouldn't want to cash in remains a mystery to me.  

Bang!  Nail hit firmly on the head.
  • stonesstones Posts: 187
    I doubt anyone would ever admit this publicly but my suspicion is that the PJ merch people underestimated the scale to which the merch craze has spread to this side of the Atlantic.  It seems that perhaps they were more prepared in locations where Ed toured solo last year like Amsterdam and London, but the demand has caught them by surprise in places like Prague and Krakow.

In fairness when they last toured Europe in 2014 it was easy to pick up pretty much whatever you wanted at any show, with minimal queuing.  Now the situation is more akin to what happens in the US but with much lower stock levels at some shows.

That said, one of the key reasons for this is simple; more fans are travelling to these shows.  As the band tours less, and shows become less common then more and more people are willing to get on a plane to go and see them and those people want a momento of their trip, which in some cases is a once in a lifetime type of thing.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    All I want to say is I remember when the instant flips were around 150-200. Meaning the day of the show or the following week. Now it seems that number is between 500-600. I can’t believe people would pay that before the artist sale. I think this is because people know they have almost a zero shot at getting one during the AP sale. And most of us don’t have time to sit in front of the computer hoping for a random 10c drop, except flippers of course. 
    RC74272 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%
    The binaural poster mentioned in the quote was a tour wide poster not a show specific print by a named artist.

The point is balance - I don't see any posts here suggesting they blindly print up "huge quantities". What people want is a sales model that will allow fan club members to buy the poster (via ticket election / pre-order etc).

Selling to 10C members would be a limited number of extra sales over the current model, no wastage or speculation. Extra $ for the band AND the artists, a decent member perk.  

Would the Mona Lisa be the world’s most famous painting if da Vinci painted a 10,000 copies of it?

I can’t think of a single reason why an artist would want to have his/her work mass produced. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    on2legs said:
    RC74272 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%

Would the Mona Lisa be the world’s most famous painting if da Vinci painted a 10,000 copies of it?

I can’t think of a single reason why an artist would want to have his/her work mass produced. 
    I am an artist.  I work at an art gallery.  Speaking of "mass production" on a smaller scale . . . Artists have one-of-a-kind or limited runs and then they have production work.  Production work (mass produced on an artist level) is what generally pays the rent and other bills.  It's the bread and butter that gets them through the day-to-day stuff that allows them to continue creating.  It's the constant cash flow.  Not everyone wants or has the cash flow to be able to drop thousands or sometimes just even hundreds on something.  Of course, we all know this.  The Mona Lisa of the group is the anchor for me in display.  Looks good.  Grabs attention but most people can't have it, so they'll take the production stuff that surrounds her.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:
    on2legs said:
    RC74272 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%

I am an artist.  I work at an art gallery.  Speaking of "mass production" on a smaller scale . . . Artists have one-of-a-kind or limited runs and then they have production work.  Production work (mass produced on an artist level) is what generally pays the rent and other bills.  It's the bread and butter that gets them through the day-to-day stuff that allows them to continue creating.  It's the constant cash flow.  Not everyone wants or has the cash flow to be able to drop thousands or sometimes just even hundreds on something.  Of course, we all know this.  The Mona Lisa of the group is the anchor for me in display.  Looks good.  Grabs attention but most people can't have it, so they'll take the production stuff that surrounds her.  
    It seems like when I go on the artists websites I see the posters in limited runs and then other merchandise like you describe for sale in larger quantities... like Ames with the shirts and other artists who make magnets and stickers.  

By by the way... congrats on your career choice.  I love my job but I’ve always been envious of people who are talented enough to create things and make a living.  I wish I could be that talented =)

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    on2legs said:
    deadendp said:
    on2legs said:
    RC74272 said:
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%

It seems like when I go on the artists websites I see the posters in limited runs and then other merchandise like you describe for sale in larger quantities... like Ames with the shirts and other artists who make magnets and stickers.  

By by the way... congrats on your career choice.  I love my job but I’ve always been envious of people who are talented enough to create things and make a living.  I wish I could be that talented =)
    My studio creativity has been on hold for a bit as I've been busy being mama.  :smile:  I have created things a bit more sporadically over the years, but I really need to get back into the studio and get things rolling again.  I am part of the display staff at a gallery and also a buyer, so that keeps me busy.  I love my job.  Not the highest paying gig in the land, but I'm happy with what I do and that is what counts.  

My boss, kind of a big deal in the fine craft world of art, lives by that example that I gave.  He's always creating, but has a nice mix of bill paying art and one-of-a-kinds.  You do what you have to do to make it work. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • I'm just wanting to stand in a reasonable line, get to the front of it, and quickly select one of the 'likely' 4 posters that will be available in Seattle- which I would frame and put up somewhere in the house.

There's no way I'm going to stress out and ruin my afternoon to fight the hordes, get anxious in line, fight my way to the front, and spend the rest of my day and evening guarding a poster until I public transport back home for the evening.

If all that was demanded of me was the last part of the above scenario (buy and guard)... I'd do it, but damn... the rest of the equation looks like the shittiest time of all time.

I remember the last Vancouver show was pretty slick. And the Eddie Vedder show in Seattle (2011). We had a hotel close to the venue. We went to the merch booth that was set up well before the show. We purchased our poster after waiting a bit (15 minutes tops). We went back to the room, left the posters there, and had a great evening.

I'd love for something like this to occur again, but I'm realizing it's not going to.

Dang.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    on2legs said:
    You're talking about a generic poster with album art printed on cheap paper distributed by Sony for an entire tour.  That's not exactly comparable to a show specific poster designed by an artist and printed on heavy stock.  Sure, the quantity is a factor, but comparing that Binaural poster to a show specific artist print has less to do with the quantity printed and more so with the subject & purpose.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    nicknyr15 said:
    All I want to say is I remember when the instant flips were around 150-200. Meaning the day of the show or the following week. Now it seems that number is between 500-600. I can’t believe people would pay that before the artist sale. I think this is because people know they have almost a zero shot at getting one during the AP sale. And most of us don’t have time to sit in front of the computer hoping for a random 10c drop, except flippers of course. 
    I look back and amazed that I got the AP for Moline, after striking out at the show. Nowadays that would never happen. They demand is tenfold compared to what it used to be.
    on2legs said:
    You're talking about a generic poster with album art printed on cheap paper distributed by Sony for an entire tour.  That's not exactly comparable to a show specific poster designed by an artist and printed on heavy stock.  Sure, the quantity is a factor, but comparing that Binaural poster to a show specific artist print has less to do with the quantity printed and more so with the subject & purpose.
    That poster was sold at the merch tables during the tour.  Not distributed by Sony. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    That poster was sold at the merch tables during the tour.  Not distributed by Sony. 
    You're misunderstanding what "distributed by" means.  It was their product.
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    That poster was licensed by Pearl Jam and produced by Anthill Trading. 

• smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%
    This 5%.   The Binaural posters are awful.   There's plenty of Fenway posters up still, plenty of SA '18 posters up on the site.  It's not about supply it's about quality.  Munk could make 6,000 of Pittsburgh 2013 and they'd still fly off the shelves.   Bad posters don't sell.  Rare posters have flipping potential, but only if they're good. 
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    I think the point is that the quality of that poster is similar to what I used to buy rolled up at a chain record store
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2018
    pjl44 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    I think the point is that the quality of that poster is similar to what I used to buy rolled up at a chain record store
    How much are the posters for the 2006 shows with the forrest and the waves going for? They were a lot nicer in quality than what's up on the walls in chain record stores. But was for the entire tour.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    smithnic said:
    SJD3232 said:
    on2legs said:
    This 100%
    This 5%.   The Binaural posters are awful.   There's plenty of Fenway posters up still, plenty of SA '18 posters up on the site.  It's not about supply it's about quality.  Munk could make 6,000 of Pittsburgh 2013 and they'd still fly off the shelves.   Bad posters don't sell.  Rare posters have flipping potential, but only if they're good. 
    I agree that bad posters don’t sell well.