All the merch gone bad!

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,956
    Wrigley 13 was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back 
    It was like nothing I'd ever seen...

I went to two QOTSA shows where the artists were Sperry and Emek.  WOW, what a friggin mess.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,765

Before the 2013 US tour, the last "real" US tour was in 2010, right? I remember going into the venue before the opening band and snagging a poster without issue.

Now, it's more like being there at 9am and praying. The Cincinnati 2014 line didn't seem terrible in comparison, but it was still probably about 2-3 hours...and that was due to only having one merch stand when other cities had multiple.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,470
    on2legs said:
    It’s been like this every tour for the last 15 years.  Nothing new to see here.  
    This.  On the 2000 tour getting a poster was not an issue. Ebay is the main reason that demand for posters has gotten out of hand. Everyone and their mother can make a quick buck.  Same with tickets.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Before the 2013 US tour, the last "real" US tour was in 2010, right? I remember going into the venue before the opening band and snagging a poster without issue.

Now, it's more like being there at 9am and praying. The Cincinnati 2014 line didn't seem terrible in comparison, but it was still probably about 2-3 hours...and that was due to only having one merch stand when other cities had multiple.
    At Cincy 2014 there was at least one merchant truck that was supposed to open but if I recall, it did not.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    deadendp said:

At Cincy 2014 there was at least one merchant truck that was supposed to open but if I recall, it did not.  
    It wasn’t bad in cincy. If I remember correctly the biggest annoyance was people acting like they were “just looking at the merch” and then getting close enough to be able to order. Probably happens pretty often. Greenville though I was proud of how the lines were kept orderly 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    This was the worst in 18 years of my fandom.  I was the very first person that went into the arena after the early entry 10C GA folks.  All posters, stickers and pins sold out.  So the 15,000 non 10C GA fans had no chance for merchandise.  Only 50 posters were sold outside.  @Santos L. Halper @Rubysdad How about an explanation for a day of merch gone bad?
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,760
    I remember rushing out of my office and traveling 30 minutes to Wrigley once we knew they opened up a day earlier than expected (two days before the show). I was still in line for an hour, limited posters/merch was available, but I'm so glad I didn't fight the 4+ hours of 90 degree heat like so many others. Now I usually check eBay on my phone before entering a merch line, and I save up a little more (or drink a little less) to offset the cost of getting my time/sanity back.
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

It wasn’t bad in cincy. If I remember correctly the biggest annoyance was people acting like they were “just looking at the merch” and then getting close enough to be able to order. Probably happens pretty often. Greenville though I was proud of how the lines were kept orderly 
    Oh, I agree. I waited about an hour and a half. Got everything I was looking for.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    edited July 2018
    Love it.  Merch is crap at best but merch stands were bone dry tonight.

Why even bother making merchandise half decent?
  • Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 834
    on2legs said:
    Fair play to you - I get it has been that way for you for Years but here's my experience of the last 9 Years since event shirts were sold...
    (prior to that in 2000 / 2006 there were no problems getting stuff after the gigs)

SBE - Yes to shirt & poster
    Rotterdam - Yes to shirt & poster
    Manchester -  Yes to shirt & poster
    O2 - Yes  to shirt & poster

Dublin - Yes to shirt & poster
    Belfast - yes to shirt & poster
    Hyde Park - Yes to shirt & poster
    Berlin - Yes to shirt & poster

Manchester 1 & 2 - Yes to shirt & posters
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 - Yes to shirt & posters
    Berline 1 & 2 - Yes to shirt & posters

Amsterdam 1 & 2 - Yes to shirts & posters
    Berlin - Yes to shirts & poster
    Leeds -Yes to shirt & poster
    MK - Yes to shirt & posters

NYC - Long line but got stuff for both shows....

Europe 2018 
    Very very difficult but got poster & shirt to Amsterdam 1 & 2 , London 1 & 2 
    Rome - Shirt only.
    Prague - Nothing available other than tour shirts...

As I said before, I musth have  been very lucky although I never lined up, I just got stuff at the venue after getting in,  but this tour has been a new experience for me - so this has not been the case for 15 Years where I have been.

Something has changed - either more flippers or less merch. I guess it is eBay like someone said...

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    Last time I went to a line for poster was in 2009..i dont like the whole merch situation on tour  I care for the shows.. So after a decade cos my ticket buddy loved the poster and went to a pub watch football in said I'll line up for her to get her a poster.. Wait outside and they sold like 50 posters only. And that's it.. Waste if standing in the hot sun.. Then I said that I'll go to ten club line to line up so to get in before public sales and get her a poster.. Another 1 and half line up for no reason.. Posters was sold out.to the first ten club members. The situation is ridiculous and last time I bother with this. Enjoy your money flippers.. U can shove it up your... U you know  where 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Jamer196Jamer196 Posts: 346
    edited July 2018
    Only went to some shows in Europe, first one in 1996 and I never had any kind of trouble getting anything, except for this tour ... No poster, No shirt, No Pin, No sticker ...
    Post edited by Jamer196 on
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:
    This.  On the 2000 tour getting a poster was not an issue. Ebay is the main reason that demand for posters has gotten out of hand. Everyone and their mother can make a quick buck.  Same with tickets.
    I respectfully disagree.  I know it's easy to blame the "bad people" for why demand is like this, but when you really look at the numbers and the percentage of merch that ends up on eBay vs what ends up in collector's collections, it's not even close.  Yes, there are people buying multiples of things to make a quick buck on eBay, 100%.  But the overwhelming majority of merch goes to fans.  Especially on this tour.  Such a small amount of posters from Europe have ended up on eBay so far.  

It's just a simple supply vs. demand issue and Pearl Jam wants this exactly the way it is.  This is why they hold weeklong merch parties before their stadium shows.  This is why they don't offer a poster with ticket purchase...they sell more 10C tickets than they're willing to make posters for.  Like it or not (most don't) they are fully aware of what a spectacle the merch creates and they like it like this.  
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:
    I respectfully disagree.  I know it's easy to blame the "bad people" for why demand is like this, but when you really look at the numbers and the percentage of merch that ends up on eBay vs what ends up in collector's collections, it's not even close.  Yes, there are people buying multiples of things to make a quick buck on eBay, 100%.  But the overwhelming majority of merch goes to fans.  Especially on this tour.  Such a small amount of posters from Europe have ended up on eBay so far.  

It's just a simple supply vs. demand issue and Pearl Jam wants this exactly the way it is.  This is why they hold weeklong merch parties before their stadium shows.  This is why they don't offer a poster with ticket purchase...they sell more 10C tickets than they're willing to make posters for.  Like it or not (most don't) they are fully aware of what a spectacle the merch creates and they like it like this.  
    5% goes to ebay. Rest 50% goes to waffles and fb pages for flipping. and yay 45%goes to fans!! Whooohooo
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    I could be wrong, but I think DMB has the poster option when you get fan club tickets for a given gig.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,765
    deadendp said:

You're right. They had that upper-concourse plaza around the venue which complicated things.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    It's definitely tough.  I haven't really changed my habits in 20 years but it's gotten infinitely more difficult to buy my usual tshirt and poster.   Lots of reasons as to why.  More people want to buy stuff (and have the money to do so).   Credit/Debit takes longer than cash.  People check stuff out before paying for it (back in the day you told them what you want, bought it, and hoped for the best).   Stuff like that.

At this point they generate so many copies of the posters (especially for the stadium shows) that the ebay prices aren't that bad.   Sometimes you get lucky and pick them up on website or artist website.

It would be nice if PJ found a better way to do it.   I'm not the kind of person who will waste half a day in a lineup for a "chance" that maybe I can buy what I want.     It'd be easier if I didn't have GA tickets.  I'd go to the inside stands right at doors.   GA you want to stake out a spot as soon as you get in.    Sometimes there's some tshirts left at the end.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,604
    The merch situation seemed fine in Amsterdam. I got in line about 15 minutes before it opened and it took about 45 minutes to get through. Indon’t know how long posters lasted, but it looked like everyone was just getting one, at least that I saw. 
  • VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    edited July 2018
    If the description is accurate regarding number of posters available there was probably some kind of an issue. Can’t really believe they only offered a total of 60 posters. Must have been some kind of shipping issue.
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I'm always relieved when my show has an ugly poster. Saves me $30-$150 and a lot of stress. Even if it's good, I'm not spending hours in line for "stuff." I have 12 posters on my walls, another 50 or so in a portfolio. I really don't need more stuff. 

Keep the bootlegs coming. That's all that matters. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,470
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:

That's fair and I don't consider flippers "bad people." 
  • sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    Was at Fenway, night one.  The day of the show we got into a merch line and I spent about $400.  I got everything I wanted.  The guy in front of us was buying 15 posters, all the same.  Everyone in line behind him booed him on the way out.  The next morning, around 9 or 10, we waited in line again and I picked up a few more things.   One poster and a couple sizes of shirts/jerseys were sold out, otherwise everything was still avail.  I guess it's hit or miss.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    to me it was the raffles.

Before, people would have to sell on ebay.  Maybe make trades here which were scrutinized.  If they came here to sell for 'max value', they were shamed a bit and it was generally frowned upon.  

Raffles have made it possible for flippers to not only exceed 'max value', but everyone thanks them for the opportunity.  No fees like ebay has, no hassle with dealing with a lot of red tape that makes ebay a pain in the ass.  

It has swung the barn doors open.
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    on2legs said:

That's fair and I don't consider flippers "bad people." 
    I don’t either.  I meant more like it’s easier to blame them than an increased fan base and collectors.  Hell without resellers I wouldn’t have a lot of prints in my collection after missing out on drops.  A necessary evil. If everyone who bought something kept it for themselves, people who complain about flippers would be complaining about no one selling the thing they missed haha. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    Raffles have made it possible for flippers to not only exceed 'max value', but everyone thanks them for the opportunity.  No fees like ebay has, no hassle with dealing with a lot of red tape that makes ebay a pain in the ass. 
    Exactly.  The first time I saw a raffle, my first thought wasn't "oh I could get that poster for $20 in the raffle."  It was "this guy is making $400 on a $250-$300 poster and people are jumping on it. No thanks."

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Been said before,,Just have the option of a poster with the tix...
    There's been plenty of reasons why that isn't a good solution.  And It's not just about the poster for everyone.  People shouldn't have to wait in line 3-4 hours to get a t-shirt with some tour dates/stops on the back or a tote bag or a hat or keychain.
    on2legs said:
    I disagree it's not been like it here the last 25 years at all
    Agree with you, Rob.  With the exception of the Pitt '13 poster, I never had trouble getting anything until 2014.  Lines were 10-15 mins tops.

The outside merch tents/booths ruined everything. The 2013 tour wasn't bad - again, aside from the Pitt poster.  Even then I only stood in line maybe a half hour, but I got there around 5pm and posters sold out while I was in line.  I waited maybe 5 mins in Baltimore and no wait at all in Charlottesville, and both were also arriving at the venue around 5pm.  2014 was a whole different story.  Cincinnati was a 3 1/2 hour wait.  St. Paul was a 4 hour wait and the line didn't move an inch. I got fed up and left without buying anything.  Wrigley '16 was an all day event.  It's ridiculous.

• BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the long line at PJ20 and standing in the rain both days.  I was about 10-15 people from the front when posters sold out both days.  
  • js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    Trouble is. No one who has any control is listening. Poster with ticket is easy and would give guaranteed incomes. JFDI
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,895
    BB162610 said:
    I am surprised no one has mentioned the long line at PJ20 and standing in the rain both days.  I was about 10-15 people from the front when posters sold out both days.  
    That is the only time I waited more than an hour, and it was the last.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,189
    I enjoyed those pictures.  Blocks and blocks of grown men lining up in Chicago for stickers.  

In 2016 someone here posted a great fake coversation about a bystander questioning someone in line.  It was about the Molly Ringwald poster.  Wish i could read that again. Summed up the merch madness better than anything ive ever read
    Here you go - classic

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/259006/overheard-in-the-wrigley-merchandise-line