Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I've been considering living in a different country for, I don't know, 17 months.  Something happened today that sort of re-ignited that thought.  Is this still the country I grew up in?  Maybe.  But not for long.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has actually moved out of the US.  Canada and other predominantly-English-speaking countries appeal.  I'm 44.  My wife is 43. Those are probably bad signs.  We both have masters degrees.  No kids.  
    Canada might be a stretch.  You pretty much need to be at the top of your field- have something they want.  My brother in law was a PhD tree geneticist who gave lecture and did world-wide research.   He thought about moving to Canada but wasn't sure is qualifications would fly there.  Tough move. 
    So they have high standards on who they let in based on qualifications?
    I think I know what point you're trying to make. FYI, Canada welcomes tens of thousands of refugees who had nothing in the past couple of years too (yes they were screened for security purposes). Canada generally has an open heart when it comes to people who are suffering elsewhere. I know that's a foreign concept to you.

Brian, that isn't really true. I know plenty of people who immigrated to Canada who aren't anywhere near the top of their field. They simply made themselves useful as temporary residents or on a work visa, i.e. got a job and got their employer to vouch for them as a valued employee, and then they did what had to be done to become permanent residents. People who are at the top of their field are often fast-tracked through the process though. It's perfectly reasonable for Americans to attempt the process of immigration to Canada, assuming they can contribute to the work force and meet some other requirements (lots of hoops to jump through). OP, this info is all on the government of Canada website.
    Ah, I didn't know it could work that way.   Oh how I wish I were young enough to be able to work full-time and take that route.  I seriously doubt Canada has enough interest in an older, semi-retired part-time bookseller like C and myself.

Why not.  We read books. You are more than welcome here.

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    unsung said:
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I've been considering living in a different country for, I don't know, 17 months.  Something happened today that sort of re-ignited that thought.  Is this still the country I grew up in?  Maybe.  But not for long.

I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has actually moved out of the US.  Canada and other predominantly-English-speaking countries appeal.  I'm 44.  My wife is 43. Those are probably bad signs.  We both have masters degrees.  No kids.  
    Canada might be a stretch.  You pretty much need to be at the top of your field- have something they want.  My brother in law was a PhD tree geneticist who gave lecture and did world-wide research.   He thought about moving to Canada but wasn't sure is qualifications would fly there.  Tough move. 
    So they have high standards on who they let in based on qualifications?
    I think I know what point you're trying to make. FYI, Canada welcomes tens of thousands of refugees who had nothing in the past couple of years too (yes they were screened for security purposes). Canada generally has an open heart when it comes to people who are suffering elsewhere. I know that's a foreign concept to you.

Brian, that isn't really true. I know plenty of people who immigrated to Canada who aren't anywhere near the top of their field. They simply made themselves useful as temporary residents or on a work visa, i.e. got a job and got their employer to vouch for them as a valued employee, and then they did what had to be done to become permanent residents. People who are at the top of their field are often fast-tracked through the process though. It's perfectly reasonable for Americans to attempt the process of immigration to Canada, assuming they can contribute to the work force and meet some other requirements (lots of hoops to jump through). OP, this info is all on the government of Canada website.
    Ah, I didn't know it could work that way.   Oh how I wish I were young enough to be able to work full-time and take that route.  I seriously doubt Canada has enough interest in an older, semi-retired part-time bookseller like C and myself.

Why not.  We read books. You are more than welcome here.
    Oh yeah, that reminds me, entrepreneurs are actually somewhat favoured in a lot of cases in this process Brian, though of course they delve into the actual business plan and everything.
    Cool!  Now just make me younger again, LOL!

yeah, a cardboard box full of books on the side of the road isn't necessarly considered a "business". 
    I would need a box at least this big:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.