Options

Justice Kennedy Retiring

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited June 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    its rough.... but all the dummies that stayed home or voted for a hopeless third party need to fuck themselves.
    +10000
    Especially the Bernie Bros the ultra-liberal crowd who just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Clinton, because...???  

I was NOT a fan of Clinton at all, but I voted for her for this exact reason.  Unfortunately, Trump may seat at least one more SC judge before 2020 gets here.
    I totally agree with this, and also pretty much feel the same about those people who did vote, but for anyone but Trump and anyone but Clinton because they hated her that much, because...??? Those people 100% knew what was at stake and that a strategic vote against Trump was needed, but somehow their precious so-called consciences were more important than the future of their country and all the people who have been and will be fucked over by Trump's government and Trump's Supreme Court.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA
    Exactly, we need to go back to when women and minorities couldn't vote. When your wife stayed at home barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. When you could just dump your trash in the nearest river. When you could send the boy to go work in the coal mine to earn support the family. The good old days when america was great!
    Not that far back, how about say, the 80's ? MAGA
    The 80's really sucked ass for an awful lot of people. 

That was when wages began to stagnate, the "middle class" started to disappear, and the area we now call the Rust Belt started to get really rusty and then decay.  America has never really been great unless you are/were a wealthy (wealthy, not rich, there is a difference) white man.
    OK, the 70's work for you? The 60's ? Let me guess, it has always sucked in this nation.. MSCGA (Make the Supreme Court Great Again)
    Pretty obvious you're 100% white male
    Hey what’s wrong with being a white guy?
    At any point in human history, not much.

I have so much white guilt! 
    Well that doesn't sound fun. Maybe you should go to a doctor to get that checked out.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    MayDay10 said:
    its rough.... but all the dummies that stayed home or voted for a hopeless third party need to fuck themselves.
    Whoa there raging Buffalo!  I get what you're saying, particularly about those who stayed home and didn't vote!  But I voted third party and no, I do not feel the least bit bad about that.  Why? Because I live in California and I KNEW that Hillary would win the electoral college votes in this state (which she obviously did quite handily).  So, not being an HRC fan, I was safe voting for a third party.  HAD I LIVED IN A SWING STATE I would have voted (agh, gag) for HRC. 

So please, don't tell me to fuck myself (unless you mean it kindly.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Now as for the SCOTUS issue, yes, we are royally fucked.  Yes, this country has royally fucking reamed itself into the ground.  R.I.P America (for now).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Ah fuck it.  I'm going to go watch one of my "end of the world" movies.  :lol:

Later, friends. 

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA
    Exactly, we need to go back to when women and minorities couldn't vote. When your wife stayed at home barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. When you could just dump your trash in the nearest river. When you could send the boy to go work in the coal mine to earn support the family. The good old days when america was great!

That was when wages began to stagnate, the "middle class" started to disappear, and the area we now call the Rust Belt started to get really rusty and then decay.  America has never really been great unless you are/were a wealthy (wealthy, not rich, there is a difference) white man.
    OK, the 70's work for you? The 60's ? Let me guess, it has always sucked in this nation.. MSCGA (Make the Supreme Court Great Again)
    Nothing, unless you have zero understanding of history and lack empathy for others. 

The obvious point is America was NEVER great... not the 60's or 70's, not now, not ever. Maybe one day, but that seems to be a very distant future right now
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    edited June 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA

Nothing, unless you have zero understanding of history and lack empathy for others. 

The obvious point is America was NEVER great... not the 60's or 70's, not now, not ever. Maybe one day, but that seems to be a very distant future right now
    Don’t be so negative.  It’s not just America, it’s the world.  The world is an awful place, but it’s gotten amazingly better in just the last 50 years.  If everyone was as negative as you’re being right now there wouldn’t be many people who cared to live their lives at all.  Here’s a cool article that made me think about overpopulation and the world as a whole a bit more:

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Development/Max-Roser-three-facts-everyone-should-know

Stay positive, nothing gets achieved when you’re grumpy and negative.
    dont fall into the “I’m a liberal so I’m mad at everything” bullshit.  You can have hopes and be positive regardless of political leanings.
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Are we guessing how much longer Ginsberg stays on?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA

Every other thread the sky is falling and this country sucks...

Man this place is depressing sometimes.

We can all strive to make it better.  New logo!!!

Make America Better!!!  MAB

Thread integrity:

Ginsberg needs to hold on until she's 100 it looks like.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    brianlux said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Whoa there raging Buffalo!  I get what you're saying, particularly about those who stayed home and didn't vote!  But I voted third party and no, I do not feel the least bit bad about that.  Why? Because I live in California and I KNEW that Hillary would win the electoral college votes in this state (which she obviously did quite handily).  So, not being an HRC fan, I was safe voting for a third party.  HAD I LIVED IN A SWING STATE I would have voted (agh, gag) for HRC. 

So please, don't tell me to fuck myself (unless you mean it kindly.)
    I guess I could have added qualifiers, and maybe the act of voting in CAL or NY didn't lose it...  But in general, it was a lot of background noise that fed into the anti-Clinton movement that permeated the progressive Democrats and independents.  The momentum likely tipped people or made them stay home in states that swung this thing from Blue to Orange.  

I wasn't overly enthusiastic about Clinton either to be honest (my vote doesnt matter either in NY).  
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA

Many Republicans, especially older ones have this nostalgic urge for the US to go back in time.  A lot of things WERE better back then, I am sure, but society, technology, and the geopolitical landscape is 100x exponentially more complex now.  There is no going back to the times where a whole town would work at the same factory making a good wage, everyone went to the same church on Sunday, kids played outside all day, you can leave your doors unlocked and apple pies cooling on the window sill, the family gathered for breakfast and dinner and would watch the news and whatever show was on the television set.  There is a lot to like about 2018 too... but many older people probably feel left out, or left behind in the world of smartphones, social media, and seeing brown people when they go to the grocery store, or seeing a sikh community center being built in their city.  

That quaint existence is not coming back unless we literally build a bubble around the country and roll back technology 40 years. The 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s werent about resisting change.  The USA progressed into the World's prominent superpower by taking the lead and staying at the forefront of a changing world.  The choice is either to integrate, adapt, and progress into modern technology, science, culture, diversity, etc.... or reject it all and set us all back.  Which direction are we going in I wonder?  

This is the whole premise of "Make America Great Again".  This romance to roll everything back to the 'good old days' (which are never coming back)  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    brianlux said:
    Now as for the SCOTUS issue, yes, we are royally fucked.  Yes, this country has royally fucking reamed itself into the ground.  R.I.P America (for now).
    To be honest, you should take the (for now) out cause you are going to be fucked for a very very long time.  say bye to abortion in many states, say bye to gay marriage in many states, you want money taken out of politics?  sorry not going to happen. 

America is beyond fucked.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000
    Especially the Bernie Bros the ultra-liberal crowd who just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Clinton, because...???  

I was NOT a fan of Clinton at all, but I voted for her for this exact reason.  Unfortunately, Trump may seat at least one more SC judge before 2020 gets here.
    I totally agree with this, and also pretty much feel the same about those people who did vote, but for anyone but Trump and anyone but Clinton because they hated her that much, because...??? Those people 100% knew what was at stake and that a strategic vote against Trump was needed, but somehow their precious so-called consciences were more important than the future of their country and all the people who have been and will be fucked over by Trump's government and Trump's Supreme Court.
    it depends on the level of knowledge that trump voters had going in, re: all the possible ramifications. honestly, until now, I didn't know pretty much anything about the supreme court, who was on it, who was going to be leaving, etc. So if you were a trump voter and unaware of some of these eventualities, you can't say they 100% knew what was at stake. there's a lot of people that are ignorant of the process and/or apathetic as to the consequences and still vote based on the candidate and their limited view of that role. 

I can't say I expect every voter to know every little nuance of possibility of the next 4 years. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

lol
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    fife said:
    brianlux said:
    To be honest, you should take the (for now) out cause you are going to be fucked for a very very long time.  say bye to abortion in many states, say bye to gay marriage in many states, you want money taken out of politics?  sorry not going to happen. 

I may be wrong or just naive but I don't set this happening.  I really hope not anyways.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    KC138045 said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:

I may be wrong or just naive but I don't set this happening.  I really hope not anyways.
    oh, that is exactly their plan. you can bet on it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KC138045 said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    KC138045 said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:

This seems like such a trivial thing to want to overturn.  The conservative goal is to overturn Roe vs Wade?
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    MayDay10 said:
    KC138045 said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:

hahahahahahaha

So you're saying I'm wrong?  Well fuck we're all screwed then!!

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

it depends on the level of knowledge that trump voters had going in, re: all the possible ramifications. honestly, until now, I didn't know pretty much anything about the supreme court, who was on it, who was going to be leaving, etc. So if you were a trump voter and unaware of some of these eventualities, you can't say they 100% knew what was at stake. there's a lot of people that are ignorant of the process and/or apathetic as to the consequences and still vote based on the candidate and their limited view of that role. 

I can't say I expect every voter to know every little nuance of possibility of the next 4 years. 
    The SCOTUS issue was probably the main reason I voted against Hillary.  It was a hot topic at the end of Obama’s term.  
    Time for Ruth to go now!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

The SCOTUS issue was probably the main reason I voted against Hillary.  It was a hot topic at the end of Obama’s term.  
    Time for Ruth to go now!
    Time for anybody who thinks this way to go. Jesus, that's incredibly churlish and all-around ignorant of basic high school civics.

The SCOTUS is supposed to be a delicately balanced judiciary that check themselves as well as other branches of our government; it was never supposed to be another weapon (in addition to Congress) in a fascist autocrat's arsenal.

And I would say the same thing if Bernie or Hillary or some other antithesis to Trump had a stacked Congress and were to threaten to upset this balance.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    What is she, 85 or so now?  I saw her speak at my wife’s law school back in Boston in like ‘07.  She was pretty cool.  
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

Time for Ruth to go now!

What specific issues were you concerned with?

• Options
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

Time for Ruth to go now!

I figured that Hillary would most likely choose a very liberal leaning judge for Scalia’s seat...plain and simple.  

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

Time for Ruth to go now!

I figured that Hillary would most likely choose a very liberal leaning judge for Scalia’s seat...plain and simple.  

And what were you worried such a judge would result in? I think that's what my2hands is wondering. Same here. If I had to guess about anyone saying what you said here, I'd guess that you want Roe v. Wade overturned, and for gay marriage legalization to be overturned. Obviously a more liberal SCOTUS would not be removing the 2nd Amendment like Trump is lying about, so I have to assume that wasn't your concern.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    KC138045 said:
    fife said:
    brianlux said:

This seems like such a trivial thing to want to overturn.  The conservative goal is to overturn Roe vs Wade?
      Conservatives have been begging for this for decades.  its a part of their cultural war
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

Time for Ruth to go now!

Any rulings you were worried would be overturned? Any specific future issues you were thinking/concerned about? 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    +10000

Time for Ruth to go now!

And what were you worried such a judge would result in? I think that's what my2hands is wondering. Same here. If I had to guess about anyone saying what you said here, I'd guess that you want Roe v. Wade overturned, and for gay marriage legalization to be overturned. Obviously a more liberal SCOTUS would not be removing the 2nd Amendment like Trump is lying about, so I have to assume that wasn't your concern.
    I’m pretty sure it is evident that I lean conservative when voting.  I do not think Roe vs. Wade or gay marriage will get overturned.  I’m not going to get into my feelings about rights of unborn babies, gun control or immigration, there are plenty of other threads here.  You obviously think a heavily liberal sided Supreme Court would be a good idea, right?  Why is that? 

• Options
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    MAGA

Don’t be so negative.  It’s not just America, it’s the world.  The world is an awful place, but it’s gotten amazingly better in just the last 50 years.  If everyone was as negative as you’re being right now there wouldn’t be many people who cared to live their lives at all.  Here’s a cool article that made me think about overpopulation and the world as a whole a bit more:

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Development/Max-Roser-three-facts-everyone-should-know

Stay positive, nothing gets achieved when you’re grumpy and negative.
    dont fall into the “I’m a liberal so I’m mad at everything” bullshit.  You can have hopes and be positive regardless of political leanings.
    It looks to me like Bill Gates is rather naive when it comes to population.  Let's look at the "facts":

Fact #1: Since 1960, child deaths have plummeted from 20 million a year to 6 million a year.
    The natural mortality rate for humans is 40%.  I recently was told this by a science professor who teaches at a large, well known university on the east coast.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not wishing anyone's child to die but the reality is, our wonderful medical advances have done little to stem over-population.

Fact #2: Since 1960, the fertility rate has fallen by half.
    Gates says, "When the fertility rate is close to 2 children per woman, so that every couple is on average replaced by about two children, population growth is slow."   First of all, the key word here is "when".  It hasn't happened.  And secondly, since when does women having 2 children reduce population?  This is naive in the extreme.  Think about it.  A twenty five year old woman has two children.  When they turn twenty five, they have two children making 4 total.  The first mother is still alive.  Now we have a population of 7 (from one). When the 4 children have two children, that makes 8 new children and, at 75, the original mother is probably still alive- totally population, 12 to 13.  See what I mean?  Totally naive.

Fact #3: 137,000 people escaped extreme poverty every day between 1990 and 2015.
    That's great!  OH, but wait.  That's 25 years.  How many people have been born into poverty in that amount of time.  Over 3 billion people live on less than $2.50 a day.  In the last 25 years, imagine how many people became trapped by poverty.  Far more than the mere 137,000 who escaped.

The world is getting better?  Wishful thinking.