Explored the Pearl Jam Family Tree - what's next???

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
Greetings,
Long time PJ fan here, I bought the cassette tape of Ten when it came out after seeing Alive video on MTV. Over the past 27 years I've listened to the their music and explored the countless of side projects and related bands. So my question is what's next? Maybe I'm being greedy, but there's gotta be more cool undiscovered PJ related music out there I can blast during the dog days of summer? Can you help me please...?

Here's my PJ related playlist so far:
PJ, Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, Ed solo, Stone solo, Brad, Jeff solo, Matt solo, Wellwater Conspiracy, Three Fish, Neil Young, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Chris solo, Audioslave, Joseph Arthur, RNDM, Green River, Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Foo Fighters, Mark Lanegan, Queens Of the Stone Age, Desert Sessions, Kyuss, Ten Commandos, Masters Of Reality, My Morning Jacket - that's all I can think of at the moment.

What's next? Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Mad Season
    Tres Mts.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2018
    Well, Fugazi has been a massive influence for Eddie since the beginning and continue to be today (some of the members of Fugazi have even joined him on stage during his solo shows before), and of course PJ has covered Fugazi many times. Are you very familiar with them? They are absolutely fucking incredible. IMHO, there isn't a single thing that Fugazi has done that is less than fantastic. And of course Eddie at least used to really look up to the band in terms of their social perspective on things, including how you navigate the music industry and not be a complete asshole. I think it's mentioned in PJ20 how Eddie really wanted PJ to be a lot more like Fugazi than they were.

Here is a Fugazi playlist I made in Spotify for someone who wanted to hear a reasonably full range of their studio work: https://open.spotify.com/user/12162960701/playlist/1cznjcD3bTK1jYmX4WMHgN?si=3GfX7bUuQXOZ_e7rHX7HkA

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, Fugazi has been a massive influence for Eddie since the beginning and continue to be today (some of the members of Fugazi have even joined him on stage during his solo shows before), and of course PJ has covered Fugazi many times. Are you very familiar with them? They are absolutely fucking incredible. IMHO, there isn't a single thing that Fugazi has done that is less than fantastic. And of course Eddie at least used to really look up to the band in terms of their social perspective on things, including how you navigate the music industry and not be a complete asshole. I think it's mentioned in PJ20 how Eddie really wanted PJ to be a lot more like Fugazi than they were.

Here is a Fugazi playlist I made in Spotify for someone who wanted to hear a reasonably full range of their studio work: https://open.spotify.com/user/12162960701/playlist/1cznjcD3bTK1jYmX4WMHgN?si=3GfX7bUuQXOZ_e7rHX7HkA

Thanks. I've also been curious about Fugazi. The playlist will really help me!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

I
    Ooooo, you put Epic Problem on your list! :heart:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Maybe not exactly Seattle scene bands, but most of these are fairly contemporary of Pearl Jam and right up their in terms of great stuff:

Dinosaur Jr
    Juliana Hatfield
    Dead Moon
    Dream Syndicate, Medicine Show
    Dump Truck, For the Country
    Mazzy Star
    Rain Parade
    Kendra Smith
    Opal

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    Mike solo!
    The Rockfords (Mike)
    Hater (Matt)
    Shawn Smith (from Brad)
    The Little Ships (Stone)
    Cat Power (Ed)
    Glen Hansard (Ed)
    Deranged Diction (Jeff)
    Po and the 4Fathers (Boom)

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Rockfords!! I have a Kufala live set of theirs. Outstanding!!
    www.cluthelee.com
    PJ_Soul said:

I
    Ooooo, you put Epic Problem on your list! :heart:
    A necessity! That is easily one of my favorite Fugazi songs. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks for recommendations. Love End Hits and The Argument. Caustic Acrostic is my favorite song right now!
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Flight to Mars
    Mike's band ,pay tribute for his love of UFO
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited June 2018
    1) Sleater-Kinney
    2) The Ramones
    3) The Who
    4) Fastbacks
    5) Goodness
    6) Hammerbox
    7) Thunderpussy
    8) Stereo Embers
    9) Danny Newcomb & The Sugarmakers
    10) Star Anna (w/o The Laughing Dogs)
    12) Blind Melon
    13) 9:59
    14) Barbara Ireland
    15) Kim Virant
    16) Walking Papers
    17) Tuatara
    18) Mason Jennings
    19) Victoria Williams
    20) Brandi Carlile
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Thanks for recommendations. Love End Hits and The Argument. Caustic Acrostic is my favorite song right now!
    Awesome, you're welcome, glad you're enjoying them. I believe Caustic Acrostic might be Eddie Vedder's fave too - he chose it for his Pearl Jam Radio playlist one time, when he was picking his favorite songs from artists he loves.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited June 2018
    Pap said:
    1) Sleater-Kinney
    2) The Ramones
    3) The Who
    4) Fastbacks
    5) Goodness
    6) Hammerbox
    7) Thunderpussy
    8) Stereo Embers
    12) Blind Melon
    14) Barbara Ireland
    15) Kim Virant
    16) Walking Papers
    17) Tuatara
    18) Mason Jennings
    19) Victoria Williams
    20) Brandi Carlile
    I'm out of touch these days!  Of those on your list Pap , I only know Sleater-Kinney, Ramones, The Who, Star Anna and Blind Melon.

Edit: and have heard of Brandi Carlile (Carlisle?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Pap said:
    1) Sleater-Kinney
    2) The Ramones
    3) The Who
    4) Fastbacks
    5) Goodness
    6) Hammerbox
    7) Thunderpussy
    8) Stereo Embers
    12) Blind Melon
    14) Barbara Ireland
    15) Kim Virant
    16) Walking Papers
    17) Tuatara
    18) Mason Jennings
    19) Victoria Williams
    20) Brandi Carlile
    I'm out of touch these days!  Of those on your list Pap , I only know Sleater-Kinney, Ramones, The Who, Star Anna and Blind Melon.

Edit: and have heard of Brandi Carlile (Carlisle?)
    Maybe I'm outta touch too? From previous lists, I love: Dinosaur Jr. , Mazzy Star, Sleater-Kinney, The Ramones, The Who and Blind Melon. I should give Victoria Williams another chance...wasn't too thrilled with Walking Papers or Fastbacks I'm afraid to say. Don't really know anyone else on the list except Thunderpussy - think they were guest DJs on PJ radio recently....and have an awesome name. ;)
    edited June 2018
    Why is Blind Melon on the PJ "family tree"? Did they tour together and I forgot about it? The only connection I can think of is that Chris Cornell kind of mentored/befriended Shannon Hoon. Seems like a pretty darn loose connection to PJ, but okay! Blind Melon (original band members) is one of my favorite bands of all time! :)
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Why is Blind Melon on the PJ "family tree"? Did they tour together and I forgot about it? The only connection I can think of is that Chris Cornell kind of mentored/befriended Shannon Hoon. Seems like a pretty darn loose connection to PJ, but okay! Blind Melon (original band members) is one of my favorite bands of all time! :)
    Shannon Hoon loved PJ - I guess that qualifies. ;) Also, both bands worked with Rick Parashar early on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPYO_Y0z1DA
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Uh huh.... Yeah, those connections are looser than a goose. :lol: I guess there is nothing wrong with throwing an extremely wide net when it comes to finding music to listen to though. ;)
    Love it! ;)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    If Blind Melon are in there, then you could also have

REM - joint Christmas single, Ed was on their last record, and now the Joseph Arthur connection
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - early tours together, also joined PJ on stage recently
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)