Options

We must have a better system to deal with 10c ticket exchanges / refunds

Comments

• Options
    bertanbertan Posts: 266
    edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree with you, but FWIW, the concern people have with these kinds of options is that members will just enter for tickets willy nilly, whether they really plan to go or not, just to leave the option open for themselves, just in case. That would lead to fewer fans who really do plan to go to the shows with fewer chances to get the tix they want in the lottery. My own solution to that problem is to limit people to a certain number of shows in the first lottery, and then they can just get on the waitlists after they reach their limit.... I know that idea would anger some of the die hards who want to be able to enter for every single show, but hey, whatcha gonna do? These are all just personal opinions! ;) 
    Yeah I totally understand that point of view. But at least give the fans a chance to return one or two pairs of tickets. I mean if you buy 8 pairs of tickets and allowed to return only 2 of them, you still have 6 pairs of tickets on your hands. You would definitely think twice before buying 6 pairs, it's not like you buy 8 pairs and return 7 of them. Like you said, these are personal opinions, but I believe there's a solution out there that doesn't cause 10C lots of trouble, and is more considerate of the fans and their personal emergencies....

lolobugg said:

Well, you can always hold this over the wife..... i loved you so much that i missed PJ for you.

now we have to go see them in...............

If this is not a solid foundation for a marriage, I don't know what is... :lol: 
    Post edited by bertan on
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    bertan said:
    lolobugg said:
    bertan said:
    I understand the concerns with members exploiting the system, but I still haven't heard anything against the waiting list solution. Wouldn't that prevent exploits since you pass your ticket to the 10C, and 10C e-mails the next person in line waiting for a ticket. You don't know who that is, you can't have any financial gain from it. And if there's no one waiting (which would be rare), than yeah, you would still have to pay for the tickets.

Another solution would be putting a limit on ticket exchanges/refunds, for example every member would be able to opt out of only one pair of tickets for every tour.  Like I got 2 pairs of tickets for this tour, I would only be able to return one pair. Which is still not great but I would call it fair. And again, much more considerate than our current system.

dude. i think you just need to re-schedule the wedding.  :lol:

you can get married anytime. you can't see PJ just any time.

i am a huge college football fan and in the South we literally schedule shit like baby showers/weddings etc. around the big games.  sad but true.

LOL I know... And the worse thing is Alice in Chains and Foo Fighters are playing in London on the same week. It was gonna be an amazing week, I was trying to score tickets to those as well when I realized there's no other week available for the wedding.
    :cry:
    You are clearly not a real PJ fan if you’re skipping the shows just to get married. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    bertan said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree with you, but FWIW, the concern people have with these kinds of options is that members will just enter for tickets willy nilly, whether they really plan to go or not, just to leave the option open for themselves, just in case. That would lead to fewer fans who really do plan to go to the shows with fewer chances to get the tix they want in the lottery. My own solution to that problem is to limit people to a certain number of shows in the first lottery, and then they can just get on the waitlists after they reach their limit.... I know that idea would anger some of the die hards who want to be able to enter for every single show, but hey, whatcha gonna do? These are all just personal opinions! ;) 
    Yeah I totally understand that point of view. But at least give the fans a chance to return one or two pairs of tickets. I mean if you buy 8 pairs of tickets and allowed to return only 2 of them, you still have 6 pairs of tickets on your hands. You would definitely think twice before buying 6 pairs, it's not like you buy 8 pairs and return 7 of them. Like you said, these are personal opinions, but I believe there's a solution out there that doesn't cause 10C lots of trouble, and is more considerate of the fans and their personal emergencies....

That's a good idea.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    If they sold the option of insurance with the tickets like the “kind” people at ticketmaster, then they could make more money (maybe to charity?) and no one could be upset because they had the option to protect themselves. 

How that would work with a lottery, I dont know. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    If they sold the option of insurance with the tickets like the “kind” people at ticketmaster, then they could make more money (maybe to charity?) and no one could be upset because they had the option to protect themselves. 

Also a good idea.
    I figure the lottery wouldn't impact that at all - people could just choose to pay the insurance on any ticket they won.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited June 2018
    If people had a refund option, it would swing the door wider to over-buy with multiple accounts and ticket buddies.  The ticket draw was saturated as it was.  The only transfer 1 electronic ticket likely helped.  

Then you got this "wait list".. do those people just sit there?  Flood the public on sales market?  What happens when those suddenly become extra tickets?
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options

But that would still encourage people to put in for tickets that they may not use.

Change is bad.  Just leave it the way it is!  =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited June 2018
    on2legs said:

But that would still encourage people to put in for tickets that they may not use.

This is why I actually favour limiting how many shows people can enter for.
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,382
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:

This is why I actually favour limiting how many shows people can enter for.
    Yeah I think if change is made, that has to be involved. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,796
    MayDay10 said:
    If people had a refund option, it would swing the door wider to over-buy with multiple accounts and ticket buddies.  The ticket draw was saturated as it was.  The only transfer 1 electronic ticket likely helped.  

Then you got this "wait list".. do those people just sit there?  Flood the public on sales market?  What happens when those suddenly become extra tickets?
    Exactly 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    I love the intent behind this...”life happens, I can’t make the show.” I totally understand it and it sucks.

BUT...can you all imagine what would happen if the 10C didn’t have this policy?  You think the lottery is tough now. Imagine thousands of 10c members entering for shows that “they think they could go to.”  It would be chaos and we all would suffer...not just the few that have unfortunate life situations.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Sorry, I could not understand what you mean here. Could you explain in a little more detail please?

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Options
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

Sorry, I could not understand what you mean here. Could you explain in a little more detail please?
    People who don't score 10c seats typically buy tickets from Ticketmaster immediately after.  
  • Options
    I love the intent behind this...”life happens, I can’t make the show.” I totally understand it and it sucks.

BUT...can you all imagine what would happen if the 10C didn’t have this policy?  You think the lottery is tough now. Imagine thousands of 10c members entering for shows that “they think they could go to.”  It would be chaos and we all would suffer...not just the few that have unfortunate life situations.
    I think being able to exchange/return 1 or 2 pairs of tickets for every tour is not asking too much. Yes it would make lottery slightly tougher, but I don't believe it would change the odds that much. I also like the insurance idea mentioned a few posts earlier.

Another option is you get to return a pair of tickets, but get refund for only one ticket. That might discourage over-buying.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

People who don't score 10c seats typically buy tickets from Ticketmaster immediately after.  
    But those sell out in 5 minutes and many people are left without tickets. Otherwise we wouldn't have tons of "tickets wanted" posts in the forums. There's always gonna be demand for PJ tickets, those waiting lists won't be empty.

• Options
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

But those sell out in 5 minutes and many people are left without tickets. Otherwise we wouldn't have tons of "tickets wanted" posts in the forums. There's always gonna be demand for PJ tickets, those waiting lists won't be empty.
    Right. It's not like people would be stuck on waiting lists. If they get on the list and then find tix elsewhere, they could just remove their names from the waitlist, right?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

Right. It's not like people would be stuck on waiting lists. If they get on the list and then find tix elsewhere, they could just remove their names from the waitlist, right?
    Exactly. I don't see the problem with that system, maybe I'm missing something.

• Options
    bertan said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

You're not. I think you're just underestimating the concern that some people have when it comes to people basically panic buying in order to guarantee that they get tix. So say someone gets on the waitlist, and then they also go to the public in case the waitlist doesn't come through for them. Then they score the TM tix, but stay on the waitlist and get 10C tix too, and then give their spares to friends or maybe scalp the TM ones or trade them for another show on the tour. That means that a 10C member could have scored those spare tickets in the sale, but didn't because the person who got two pairs "stole" theirs. I think that's the basic premise, and variations of that kind of thing is always what keeps people from wanting any change with the 10C ticketing process I think. Someone please correct me if I'm off base.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    Horse2345 said:
    chime said:
    At this time US shows were all seated, no lottery so totally seniority based.

Did I just read this?

I really hope I'm misinterpreting this.
    You are, "at this time" was referring to that time in the past when there was no ga. Now there is ga

The lotto has messed with senority in the fact that people can join today and be up close. This is kind of a win because it gets people up front who are excited for Alive and Betterman. When the band plays those old classics, they're not playing to rows and rows of empty seats because someone has heard that song ten nights out of the past 25 and has heard that song 250 out of 275 shows they've been to.

Some people think that they were "guaranteed" tickets before the lotto system came into place. This was never the case. More shows and fewer fans in 98, 03, whenever made it seem like people were guaranteed 10C tickets, but this was never the case.

The lotto is unrelated to seniority. Seniority only applies to seat assignment, not who gets tickets.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bertan said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

You're not. I think you're just underestimating the concern that some people have when it comes to people basically panic buying in order to guarantee that they get tix. So say someone gets on the waitlist, and then they also go to the public in case the waitlist doesn't come through for them. Then they score the TM tix, but stay on the waitlist and get 10C tix too, and then give their spares to friends or maybe scalp the TM ones or trade them for another show on the tour. That means that a 10C member could have scored those spare tickets in the sale, but didn't because the person who got two pairs "stole" theirs. I think that's the basic premise, and variations of that kind of thing is always what keeps people from wanting any change with the 10C ticketing process I think. Someone please correct me if I'm off base.
    Thank you, I see your point now. I guess a counter argument would be that, they could do the exact same thing with the regular sale. They could get in the lottery and score multiple tickets. Then if they manage to buy some more tickets from TM, they could scalp the spares. The waitlist does not change much in that sense. You either get in the lottery and wait, or get in the waitlist and wait.

• Options
    These are just zany rules for the sake of making rules. 

The best system is don't schedule your wedding on a day you have clearly non refundable tickets for a concert unless you don't mind eating the cost
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

The best system is don't schedule your wedding on a day you have clearly non refundable tickets for a concert unless you don't mind eating the cost
    Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure that I'll pass that memo to cancer cells, dying relatives, last minute work projects, flight cancelling thunderstorms, etc...

I did not chose to have my wedding on that date, for reasons beyond my control, that was the only date available to me. But even if I did chose it, this is not just about me. Many people have to opt out of their tickets because of unforeseen reasons, usually health problems of themselves or close relatives. You can't plan these things, and you can't predict them 7 months away.

I'm sorry if this seems to you like "rules for the sake of making rules", but I can assure you it's much more than that.

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,857
    edited June 2018
    In the case of the folk who's  cancer stopped them something needs to be done that is the ultimate unpredictable  situation. Not so much work or wedding. 10c must see that?
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,095
    bertan said:

I think being able to exchange/return 1 or 2 pairs of tickets for every tour is not asking too much. Yes it would make lottery slightly tougher, but I don't believe it would change the odds that much. I also like the insurance idea mentioned a few posts earlier.

Another option is you get to return a pair of tickets, but get refund for only one ticket. That might discourage over-buying.

bertan said:

Then 10 has to deal with running additional sales and selling the returned tickets.  Even TM doesn't deal with returned tickets.   I don't think the 10c would offer a return ticket program, because it's a big make work project for them.

I'm ok with the way it is now.  If I ever have some kind of emergency I'll have to eat thing tickets, but given how easy it was to get ticket this year, restricting people's ability to transfer ticket seems to be a win.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,877
    It's not PJ who needs to change the system, it's logical thinking of those who choose to 'absolutely have to put in for the lottery" without the understanding this isn't like normal ticket sales. It's not a complicated process. It's become more of a circus, trade my night one for your night two GA cause I can't make it but I put in for it anyways, etc.... It's not PJ who needs to change the system. Sad part is, like it or not, we are all getting older and concert runs will eventually become far and few in-between. So plan accordingly.......
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure that I'll pass that memo to cancer cells, dying relatives, last minute work projects, flight cancelling thunderstorms, etc...

I did not chose to have my wedding on that date, for reasons beyond my control, that was the only date available to me. But even if I did chose it, this is not just about me. Many people have to opt out of their tickets because of unforeseen reasons, usually health problems of themselves or close relatives. You can't plan these things, and you can't predict them 7 months away.

I'm sorry if this seems to you like "rules for the sake of making rules", but I can assure you it's much more than that.
    You knew the rules going in.  I still don’t get all the drama or that the ten club is at fault here. 

• Options
    • All ticket sales are final. No refunds. No exchanges. No name transfers. No exceptions. Please do not enter for a show you are not certain you can attend. 

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,877
    bertan said:

Wow.... To read this above is just crazy.  It's a fucking concert man, nothing more, nothing less. Unreal...

1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    edited June 2018
    Horse2345 said:
    chime said:
    At this time US shows were all seated, no lottery so totally seniority based.

Did I just read this?

I really hope I'm misinterpreting this.
    You are, "at this time" was referring to that time in the past when there was no ga. Now there is ga

The lotto has messed with senority in the fact that people can join today and be up close. This is kind of a win because it gets people up front who are excited for Alive and Betterman. When the band plays those old classics, they're not playing to rows and rows of empty seats because someone has heard that song ten nights out of the past 25 and has heard that song 250 out of 275 shows they've been to.

Some people think that they were "guaranteed" tickets before the lotto system came into place. This was never the case. More shows and fewer fans in 98, 03, whenever made it seem like people were guaranteed 10C tickets, but this was never the case.

The lotto is unrelated to seniority. Seniority only applies to seat assignment, not who gets tickets.
    I meant no lottery rows.  Later on they started was it rows 1-2 and 9-10 were a lottery and not seniority based

It was still F5 like crazy to buy tickets 

Sorry using term lottery was a bit confusing as they now have the lottery sales.
    Post edited by chime on
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    bertan said:
    MayDay10 said:

You knew the rules going in.  I still don’t get all the drama or that the ten club is at fault here. 
    I'm not looking for drama, I just don't like to be accused of "making rules for the sake of making rules". It's not about picking a fight or getting my money back, I've accepted the fact that $450 has gone down the drain. It's about finding a system that has a little more flexibility and empathy towards personal situation. It's about the future tours and all I'm looking for is a healthy discussion to achieve that. I'm sorry if my post seemed aggressive.

Like I said in the beginning, our current system simply does not try to help anyone with a difficult situation. I think it should at least try to. 1 pairs of tickets to return / exchange for each tour is a simple solution that at least help people a little.