Options

PJ: Going to California?

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
Greetings,
One of my big regrets has been never seeing Pearl Jam in concert. I'm a long time fan and for whatever reason, it's never worked out for me to go see the band live. I'm 45yo and conscious that life is fleeting and as I see European dates spring up, I wonder if PJ will ever make it back to California anytime soon? I've tried to make up for lost time in the last couple of years seeing: Sting, Counting Crows, and Live. PJ is on my bucket list. I'm in the Bay Area, so I'm guessing plenty of great venues PJ can play - hoping to get a chance to see one of my all-time favorite bands. I don't even care what songs they play!  =)

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,736
    I would be shocked if they did not make it there in 2019. That said I thought 2018 was going to have a full west coast tour but here we are. 
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    PJNB said:
    I would be shocked if they did not make it there in 2019. That said I thought 2018 was going to have a full west coast tour but here we are. 
    This ^ I am expecting them to do a west coast tour in 2019. The west is due for a tour. Though I would love another East tour with multiple Florida shows again! At least I have Wrigley again this year to continue to hold me over a bit more. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    PJNB said:
    Lots of diehard fans in California! Hope to see PJ in 2019...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I thought this was a request for PJ to cover Going to California by Led Zeppelin. If it were, I'd be into that. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    I thought this was a request for PJ to cover Going to California by Led Zeppelin. If it were, I'd be into that. ;)
    They play it all the time--only their version is called "Given to Fly."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    They play it all the time--only their version is called "Given to Fly."
    :lol: Oh yeah, I forgot about that (again!). I sincerely always felt like that comparison is a stretch, so that doesn't count for me!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sander Mecca does a great version of both songs:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od3WwOxGfAI
  • Options
    ^^^ Enjoyable, although I don't care for how he mumbles the words so severely for GTF. I get what he's going for, but once you relax the style so much it's incomprehensible, you've gone a bit too far, haha. Still, the guy has a lot of feeling in his playing and voice, which is probably the most important thing for any musician.
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I still miss these songs sounding SO similar. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    Greetings,
    One of my big regrets has been never seeing Pearl Jam in concert. I'm a long time fan and for whatever reason, it's never worked out for me to go see the band live. I'm 45yo and conscious that life is fleeting and as I see European dates spring up, I wonder if PJ will ever make it back to California anytime soon? I've tried to make up for lost time in the last couple of years seeing: Sting, Counting Crows, and Live. PJ is on my bucket list. I'm in the Bay Area, so I'm guessing plenty of great venues PJ can play - hoping to get a chance to see one of my all-time favorite bands. I don't even care what songs they play!  =)
    I too hope Pearl Jam comes to California too, thispure, and I hope you get to see them.  It wasn't until I was 61 years old that I got to see the band in Missoula in 2012, and this thanks to a fellow fan,  DS,  who used to post here back them.  I can never thank DS enough!  And no doubt there are still some great places in the Bay Area where they could play.  I wish Winterland were still standing.  That would have been a great venue for the band to play in!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said: I too hope Pearl Jam comes to California too, thispure, and I hope you get to see them.  It wasn't until I was 61 years old that I got to see the band in Missoula in 2012, and this thanks to a fellow fan,  DS,  who used to post here back them.  I can never thank DS enough!  And no doubt there are still some great places in the Bay Area where they could play.  I wish Winterland were still standing.  That would have been a great venue for the band to play in! 
    Brian - so great to hear your story. I'm sure you've gone into the details before, but I'd like to hear it if you don't mind? I'm inspired by what you said...cuz I'm not sure PJ will be around at 61 - or me for that matter!  :smiley:

Talk more soon!
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Would love to catch them at the Forum. The remodel on that place was excellent and the acoustics are really good for a 18,000 seat arena. 
  • Options
    I saw Springsteen at The LA Sports Arena during the Magic Tour. Lots of great venues in LA and SF.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    I never thought I'd see a thread like this, as they used to play California, and especially the Bay Area, all the time. So many Bridge School Benefit appearances, but that event now seems to be over. At the last Oakland show in 2013, Eddie talked about how much they had played the area in the past but that it seemed like it still wasn't enough. I guess he forgot because it's been almost four years since the last Bridge School appearance by the band and almost five years since the last full show by the band.
  • Options
    I never thought I'd see a thread like this, as they used to play California, and especially the Bay Area, all the time. So many Bridge School Benefit appearances, but that event now seems to be over. At the last Oakland show in 2013, Eddie talked about how much they had played the area in the past but that it seemed like it still wasn't enough. I guess he forgot because it's been almost four years since the last Bridge School appearance by the band and almost five years since the last full show by the band.
    He actually said that he felt that the Bay Area and Northern California were extension of the "Great Pacific Northwest" before kicking into Lightning Bolt.....

That Oakland show was a winner....anyone remember the Oracle turning on the house lights to try to get the band off the stage after curfew?  They ended up playing at least four songs (maybe more) with the house lights on--essentially saying f-you to the curfew rules (and probably paying a fine of some sort)--

"I know, it's only rock and roll, but I like it"
  • Options
    He actually said that he felt that the Bay Area and Northern California were extension of the "Great Pacific Northwest" before kicking into Lightning Bolt.....

That Oakland show was a winner....anyone remember the Oracle turning on the house lights to try to get the band off the stage after curfew?  They ended up playing at least four songs (maybe more) with the house lights on--essentially saying f-you to the curfew rules (and probably paying a fine of some sort)--

Yeah, it was an uneven show during the main set and first encore (and a particularly rough night for Yield tracks), but the second encore was pure fire. Felt like it was straight out of 1996.

Smile
    Crazy Mary
    Black
    Alive
    Fuckin' Up
    Indifference
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Sounds lovely me you have “an aching in your heart” to see PJ. I hope you get there dude!!!
  • Options
    I never thought I'd see a thread like this, as they used to play California, and especially the Bay Area, all the time...I guess he forgot because it's been almost four years...
    huntersthompson said: He actually said that he felt that the Bay Area and Northern California were extension of the "Great Pacific Northwest" before kicking into Lightning Bolt...
    darthvedder said:
    the second encore was pure fire. Felt like it was straight out of 1996.
    I'd love to see them back in CA in 2019 and just blow the doors off the place! I found this show from 1995 in San Jose. Even has pre-No Code versions of Red Mosquito and Lukin. Oh man...this show rocks! Please come back to the Bay Area PJ!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,882

I'm so ashamed that I missed that show, especially since Oracle is about 15 minutes from my house! I hope they play there again and not Giants stadium.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    I never thought I'd see a thread like this, as they used to play California, and especially the Bay Area, all the time...I guess he forgot because it's been almost four years...
    huntersthompson said: He actually said that he felt that the Bay Area and Northern California were extension of the "Great Pacific Northwest" before kicking into Lightning Bolt...
    darthvedder said:
    the second encore was pure fire. Felt like it was straight out of 1996.
    I'd love to see them back in CA in 2019 and just blow the doors off the place! I found this show from 1995 in San Jose. Even has pre-No Code versions of Red Mosquito and Lukin. Oh man...this show rocks! Please come back to the Bay Area PJ!
    Yeah, that was the makeup show for the Golden Gate Park show earlier that summer where Eddie got sick. They really try to make it up to the fans, so I expect the band to do the same when they return to London next month.
  • Options

I'm so ashamed that I missed that show, especially since Oracle is about 15 minutes from my house! I hope they play there again and not Giants stadium.
    With the Warriors moving to the City next year, who knows what will become of concerts at Oracle. I'm sure the new arena in SF will be a huge draw for concerts when it opens.