Options

Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    pj8 said:
    27-29 songs is perfect to me. PJ’s second encores in recent tours have become too predictable. 28 songs in Tulsa in 2014 was awesome because they made up for the length by jamming a little more than I’ve seen them in the past. The 3+ hour show in Hampton in 2016 is an exception for me because both encores that night were unique. 
    That Hampton show is so underrated. Overshadowed by the NC cancellation.  In my tree / Breath back to back floored me!!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    nicknyr15 said:
    pj8 said:
    27-29 songs is perfect to me. PJ’s second encores in recent tours have become too predictable. 28 songs in Tulsa in 2014 was awesome because they made up for the length by jamming a little more than I’ve seen them in the past. The 3+ hour show in Hampton in 2016 is an exception for me because both encores that night were unique. 
    That Hampton show is so underrated. Overshadowed by the NC cancellation.  In my tree / Breath back to back floored me!!
    Hampton was the highlight of the tour when I listen to the boots. Amazing daughter with an awesome tag too.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    One of my fav shows ever qualifies as a greatest hits show.  What matters is how they played those hits

4/28/03
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited June 2018
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pj8 said:
    Hampton was the highlight of the tour when I listen to the boots. Amazing daughter with an awesome tag too.
    I just listened to this boot earlier in the week. Man, it really was an incredible show! I really wish it hadn’t been a low point in my life at the time because I simply could not get my mind off things long enough to enjoy it while I was in the Coliseum.
    I’ve always been reluctant to listen to the boot because I didn’t want it to trigger my emotions from the time and bring up all those shitty feelings again. But I finally got around to it and so glad I did! The only things I really remembered from the show were opening with Why Go, thinking they were gonna play Yield after we got Brain of J/Faithfull, and “Clarence! You’re lettin me down, man!” Listening to the boot made me realize how much I was in the room, but just wasn’t there. It’s like I finally got to experience the show a little over 2 years later. So good!!
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pj8 said:
    I just listened to this boot earlier in the week. Man, it really was an incredible show! I really wish it hadn’t been a low point in my life at the time because I simply could not get my mind off things long enough to enjoy it while I was in the Coliseum.
    I’ve always been reluctant to listen to the boot because I didn’t want it to trigger my emotions from the time and bring up all those shitty feelings again. But I finally got around to it and so glad I did! The only things I really remembered from the show were opening with Why Go, thinking they were gonna play Yield after we got Brain of J/Faithfull, and “Clarence! You’re lettin me down, man!” Listening to the boot made me realize how much I was in the room, but just wasn’t there. It’s like I finally got to experience the show a little over 2 years later. So good!!
    Yeah, it’s a shame all I can remember about the Hampton show is how bummed everyone was about Raleigh.  Setlist was good but it’s in my bottom 2 of shows I’ve seen due to the vibe that night.  Glad others found more enjoyment in it though. 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    pj8 said:
    Yeah, it’s a shame all I can remember about the Hampton show is how bummed everyone was about Raleigh.  Setlist was good but it’s in my bottom 2 of shows I’ve seen due to the vibe that night.  Glad others found more enjoyment in it though. 
    There was definitely an air of disappointment in the room regarding Raleigh being canceled. I wasn’t doing well for personal reasons, though.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Hampton kicked ass! What a show.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,009
    edited June 2018
    "Back to" 35+ songs

THEY JUST CANT STOP
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,801
    It’s only one show but hopefully we can put this thread to bed 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Eddie backstage in Rome reading this thread: "hold my beer"
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    mrk2 said:
    Eddie backstage in Rome reading this thread: "hold my beer"
     =) 
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285

Smashing Pumpkins played 17 songs at their tour opener in L.A.!! Jesus Christ Pearl Jam spoils us!

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Hampton 2016 is a great show.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    edited June 2018
    mr bungle said:

Smashing Pumpkins played 17 songs at their tour opener in L.A.!! Jesus Christ Pearl Jam spoils us!

Billy must have had to jet off early to do the Alex Jones show.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    mr bungle said:

Yet billy ran his mouth about Pearl Jam in a negative way. Basically says he doesn’t get why they are big. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    nicknyr15 said:
    mr bungle said:

Yet billy ran his mouth about Pearl Jam in a negative way. Basically says he doesn’t get why they are big. 
    at the show?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mr bungle said:

at the show?
    No. I think it was on stern a few years ago? I always couldn’t stand billy. 
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I remember he was mad Ed put out a song about the Cubs and they were playing Wrigley Field.  My guess is there was/is some jealousy involved since he is a big Cubs fan.  He also ragged on Soundgarden for reuniting and called it a cash grab (It wasn't, and he is doing the exact same thing now).  He has also called PJ social justice warriors (is that an insult?) and has been a guest on Alex Jones' show multiple times prescribing to some way out theories.  

Regardless, I hope PJ keeps the longer shows going...especially for Seattle. 
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    mr bungle said:

It wasn’t their tour opener it was a small club show
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    D-Rod said:
    27 songs tonight. Thread back on! 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    D-Rod said:
    27 songs tonight. Thread back on! 
    You beat me to it haha. The threads Alive!!!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Yes, I remember he was mad Ed put out a song about the Cubs and they were playing Wrigley Field.  My guess is there was/is some jealousy involved since he is a big Cubs fan.  He also ragged on Soundgarden for reuniting and called it a cash grab (It wasn't, and he is doing the exact same thing now).  He has also called PJ social justice warriors (is that an insult?) and has been a guest on Alex Jones' show multiple times prescribing to some way out theories.  

he has been, and I guess always will be, jealous that he didn't achieve the same amount of fame as the Big Four. he has literally stated he is the greatest songwriter of that generation. anyone who says that needs to be shamed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967

he has been, and I guess always will be, jealous that he didn't achieve the same amount of fame as the Big Four. he has literally stated he is the greatest songwriter of that generation. anyone who says that needs to be shamed. 
    He has written some great songs but some of his albums are full of absolute shit as well.  Can't really say that about the other major grunge bands.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

He has written some great songs but some of his albums are full of absolute shit as well.  Can't really say that about the other major grunge bands.
    they may have had they had more time to do so. it also makes a difference how you treat your fans. if you are insulting your crowd or the town you are playing it, kind of sours the fandome a bit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

Let's stop with the Billy hate and get back on topic.

How many songs will be played tonight?  30+ ?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    lolobugg said:

Let's stop with the Billy hate and get back on topic.

How many songs will be played tonight?  30+ ?

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

Who’s the big four? Cornell, Vedder, cobain and?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited July 2018

Not that I'm defending Corgan, but just as a side note, I did actually hear that SG reunited for money reasons. Apparently Kim and Ben were kind of hurtin' financially or at least don't have a comfortable retirement fund or whatever, so Chris and Matt said yes to reuniting so that those guys could start earning better money again, at least for a bit. So technically, it could be looked at as a money grab of sorts, if you want to frame it negatively, which Billy Corgan does, always, lol. Don't ask me about the source of that info - I don't remember at all. But it's seems believable, knowing about Kim and Ben's careers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

He's a better songwriter than Staley/Cantrell and probably edges out Cornell when it comes to writing hits.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore