Options

daring to question...

SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337
ok, not to attempt blasphemy or anything...:D
but some words of "i am mine" left me wondering...

"me, i figure as each breath goes by
i only own my mind"

well sometimes i think my mind is the least thing i own...it's all influenced by society, media, etc...

and
"the north is to south what the clock is to time"

ok i'm a dumbass but what the heck does that mean??

any thoughts on that??
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    The north is to south what the clock is to time---

I think it means that we humans put labels on things that exist in our world as a way of managing the outside world. North and South are relative, they are just directions we can point to outside and time passes whether we measure it or not, but the clock gives us a way to label it.

As people, we are always inside our own being and accompanied by our own thoughts. Our lives pass and we experience them in the present. That "present" experience is really all we have.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Thanks, justam. This song has a lot of meaning for me (see signature), but I'd never been able to figure out what "the north is to south what the clock is to time" was about.
    ". . . as each breath goes by I only own my mind."
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    You're welcome. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    SquirrelSquirrel Posts: 337
    wow justam! hey thanx a lot mate..that's a wonderful way of seeing it! makes sense...i mean pj lyrics kick ass anyway but sometimes they're so deep and ambiguous that i have troubles understanding..well thanx for clearing that one up!
  • Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    Looking back
    Squirrel said:

ok, not to attempt blasphemy or anything...:D
    but some words of "i am mine" left me wondering...

"me, i figure as each breath goes by
    i only own my mind"

well sometimes i think my mind is the least thing i own...it's all influenced by society, media, etc...

and
    "the north is to south what the clock is to time"

ok i'm a dumbass but what the heck does that mean??

any thoughts on that??

Maybe.......
    We look for a clock to find the time.
    We look for North to find South.
    Waddaya think?
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited December 2014
    Here is my interpretation on that lyric. There is only so much distance between North and South.. ( notice that it does 't say the East's to the West, because they are one hundred percent opposite if the relativity in how I take this lyric) so there in, after so far, you are then regressing directions. In other words.. You can only go North for so long before you are eventually going South... Same with a clock.. There are only twenty four hours.. After that it starts over again. So I think what he's trying to say is only we can choose the patterns we live out In our lives. So the next line being There's East and there's West and there's everywhere life.. I know I was born and I know that I'll die.. The in between is mine.. Supports that. Because you can go any of the four directions.. But only East and West are true,cause just like a clock North and South eventually repeat.. I think in its entirety, this verse is just relating that we have to be careful the paths we choose to travel. Because we are responsible for our destinies. We can go any which way we choose but each has its own set of consequences. Just my take on it..
    Post edited by whispering hands on