Options

2018 Euro Merch

Comments

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    If you look at old vintage Italian/French advertising posters, it kind looks like the artist was going for that look. But in no way does this look like a gig poster. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    If you look at old vintage Italian/French advertising posters, it kind looks like the artist was going for that look. But in no way does this look like a gig poster. 
    Please, post the best "gig poster" youve seen from Pearl Jam. Im still confused by what makes a poster a gig poster or not. 

Or are you talking about early 90s handbills? haha
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,369
    Generally speaking, I like posters that depict something about the time and place I am attending. It can be topical, political, symbolic of the city, thats all perfect in my opinion.

And then, if you want to to actually look good on walls of peoples homes...
    NO SKULLS
    AS MANY EYES AS IT SHOULD HAVE
    NO DEAD ANYTHINGS

To me the best posters ever are the entire 96 tour and Moline, Pitt, Hartford.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,828
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    Hartford.

:P
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Mmmm.  I like some of it and dislike other parts.  A pass.
    The last Milan poster was very good, imo.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I was at that Hartford show as well, I remember getting to the front of the poster line, which was fast and thinking, oh...that's why its so fast.
    I meant this one.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/t6sAAOSwCfRbId1L/s-l300.jpg
  • Options
    xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 191
    People are still queuing  hours for this terrible merch
    People would buy anything this band put out.  I bet they laugh their ass  off.
    Maybe they’re trolling us with this tour’s merch, like it’s an experiment to see how awful they can make it and see if people will still queue for hours to buy it!
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,438
    Please, post the best "gig poster" youve seen from Pearl Jam. Im still confused by what makes a poster a gig poster or not. 

My favorite hands down is Moline 2014. Ian Williams did a great job incorporating that rock feel and the rural/farm town feel of the venue.
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options

One of the best:

...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,932
    Love the Francovilla. His Mondo/Marvel stuff is out of this world awesome. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    If i look at a long tour from the last fifteen years, there’s only 3 or 4 that i love from each tour.  For these short tours theres maybe 1 i would frame on average. There’s going to be way more ugly ones than ones you would frame and hang. So far i like 1 of them this tour.  People just like to freak out in the moment but this is nothing new.  Its exciting when London Mumford shows up on the merch thread and floors everyone.  Same with Pittsburgh 13.  

its been twenty years since that tour where you wanted to own all of them. 
  • Options
    NiktoNikto Melbourne, Australia Posts: 132
    demetrios said:
    rollandf said:
    Any glimpse of tomorrow night's poster during setup?
    I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder, but I like this snake. The other creatures not so much, but I really like this snake. I would just be happy with another gig in Australia, the merch, t-shirts and posters are always just a bonus for me. 
    Melbourne: March 17 1995, March 18 1995, March 2 1998, February 18 2003, November 13 2006, November 20 2009, January 24 2014
    Ed Solo
    Melbourne: March 24 2011, February 16 2014
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    If i look at a long tour from the last fifteen years, there’s only 3 or 4 that i love from each tour.  For these short tours theres maybe 1 i would frame on average. There’s going to be way more ugly ones than ones you would frame and hang. So far i like 1 of them this tour.  People just like to freak out in the moment but this is nothing new.  Its exciting when London Mumford shows up on the merch thread and floors everyone.  Same with Pittsburgh 13.  

its been twenty years since that tour where you wanted to own all of them. 
    Every year has had misses. There are 96/98 ones that I don't care for. And funny enough, I think the Mumfords are good, but I don't think they would even crack my top 20 or 30. Don;t get the super hype about them. I've thought all of the Euro ones, until today, were decent and would have been pleased if they were for my show. 

The double eyed animals on the other hand, they need to go. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I'm liking the Rome print. Reminds me of the old Italian horror movie posters.
  • Options

Another one of the best:

...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    edited June 2018
    Ugh
    pretty cool art. i like it.   reminds me of Dark Shadows, the TV show from the 60s for some reason
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

^^

I don't mind it either. But as someone else mentioned. Get rid of the MILAN as it is better suited at the bottom as is.

• Options

Another one of the best:

In what say is that more a "gig poster" than the latest MIlan one...
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    When I buy a Pearl Jam poster, I buy it so I can have something that I can take with me, material wise, from the show. If it is not the best design I still buy it.
  • Options
    js261067js261067 Posts: 125
    The key issue here is,  they AREN'T gig posters.  That's why they get these artists in to do them. They're merchandise. So surely then being aesthetically pleasing is their primary requirement.  I just don't understand how any of this current batch is supposed to be desirable bar the "need" to own a memory for the gigs you attend.
  • Options
    When I buy a Pearl Jam poster, I buy it so I can have something that I can take with me, material wise, from the show. If it is not the best design I still buy it.
    Me too, but I only hang the good ones. The rest live in the portfolio. Some day ill finish my basement, get a pool table, and COVER the walls with all of them. I kind of agree with the wife tho, skulls, dead things and anything seizure inducing cant go in the living room.
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    rollandf said:
    the lightning bolt cap is new?
  • Options
    Yes, I'm that "Juan Pablo"...

People out on the streets. They don't know who I am...
    thump_8453675pearljam.jpg
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956
    rollandf said:
    the lightning bolt cap is new?

I think that might be the festival cap rather than a PJ specific cap
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,932
    I think you nailed it here. Thats why this one works so well. 

• Options
    BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    I like the illustration on the back in black & white but doesn't work for me so well in the actual color print.

Also does anyone think the artist was maybe going for a little bit of an homage to the skull/crown from some of the Riot Act stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if I was way off base though. 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,693
    Dare I say Milan is my favorite so far.
    Image result for how dare you
    Kearnsy