Options

World Cup 2018 Russia

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    CROJAM95 said:
    HRVATSKA!!!
    :-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Did anyone see Messi during the anthem, it looked like he had a serious migraine.
    Anyhow, Ronaldo > Messi.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is this sill going on....

For another 3 weeks.
    Not a fan of football?
    I'll watch the championship game ... so I'm not totally turned off by the game.  Maybe if I understood the game better that would help.  The only position in football that I totally understand what his role is the goalkeeper...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Is this sill going on....

For another 3 weeks.
    Not a fan of football?
    I'll watch the championship game ... so I'm not totally turned off by the game.  Maybe if I understood the game better that would help.  The only position in football that I totally understand what his role is the goalkeeper...lol
    Pretty easy game to compare I’d say to hockey you have forwards midfielders & backline defenders .. 
    the team that scores the most wins ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ^ ^ except there are no prolonged fist fights lol
  • Options
    Yes only balls kicked at your head lol 
  • Options
    Or a tap on the back causing you to fall in pain like this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63uV6WteLvE
  • Options
    Or a tap on the back causing you to fall in pain like this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63uV6WteLvE
    Yeah stage diving is not their best suit !
  • Options
    I really hate that about football. They should VAR that and red card anyone faking injury. It's a blight on the sport.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    I really hate that about football. They should VAR that and red card anyone faking injury. It's a blight on the sport.
    A clear as a day dive should give an instant red card, yes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    The good thing about the sport is how continuous and quick the games are.  

I see they have decided to bring video review in and start to ruin it though
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Yep.  Neymar just had an awful flop...but VAR got it right and overturned the penalty.  He should have at least got a yellow card, but got nothing.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Yep.  Neymar just had an awful flop...but VAR got it right and overturned the penalty.  He should have at least got a yellow card, but got nothing.

Perhaps why the ref was quick to given him a yellow only moments later.
  • Options
    Score does not reflect how well Costa Rica played.

Neymar is a punk.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Hobbes said:

Neymar is a punk.
    Only saw the 2nd half but how can you say this? Costa Rica got smoked.
  • Options
    Counterpoint, I find there nothing more funny than when a dude gets barely touched and acts like he just got shot 4 times.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,281
    It was a penalty, because the defender stopped Neymar from getting to the ball. It doesn’t matter how slight the touch was. Neymar falling down so theatrically is probably the reason it was overturned. If he hadn’t overdone it I reckon it would have been given.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    It was a penalty, because the defender stopped Neymar from getting to the ball. It doesn’t matter how slight the touch was. Neymar falling down so theatrically is probably the reason it was overturned. If he hadn’t overdone it I reckon it would have been given.
    I agree with this, Neymar had him beat.  Can't touch a guy once you're beat.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

Neymar is a punk.
    Brazil is clearly the dominant team. Costa Rica's defense - specifically their keeper - kept them in the match for 90 minutes. I think Costa Rica deserves more respect for keeping Brazil at bay. I do not believe they got "smoked".
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Neymar is a punk.
    Brazil is clearly the dominant team. Costa Rica's defense - specifically their keeper - kept them in the match for 90 minutes. I think Costa Rica deserves more respect for keeping Brazil at bay. I do not believe they got "smoked".
    I mean, yeah, the keeper had a good game, but 72% possession and 22 shots with 10 on target to 3 shots and none on target.  I'd argue Brazil deserved to win by 4 more than Costa Rica deserved any type of result.

Reminds me of the US-Belgium game.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Neymar is a punk.
    I mean, yeah, the keeper had a good game, but 72% possession and 22 shots with 10 on target to 3 shots and none on target.  I'd argue Brazil deserved to win by 4 more than Costa Rica deserved any type of result.

Reminds me of the US-Belgium game.
    Exactly. Brazil should have won 4-0, but they did not because of how well Costa Rica played (read: defended).
  • Options
    This VAR system is a bit arbitrary. It's like the referees decide when they want to use it and when they don't.
    There were a few clear offsides that got by but noone reviewed. 
    Btw, what time are the games in the USA/Canada?
    I have to stay up late to watch the games or get up at like 3am.
    I am tired!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    This VAR system is a bit arbitrary. It's like the referees decide when they want to use it and when they don't.
    There were a few clear offsides that got by but noone reviewed. 
    Btw, what time are the games in the USA/Canada?
    I have to stay up late to watch the games or get up at like 3am.
    I am tired!
    For me it is around 8:30 am, 11 am and 2 in the afternoon.  I've been watching the games with my students and they are loving it.  It is crazy how knowledgeable they are.  This guy plays for this team, that guy plays for that team.....
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Awesome times. I don't know how I will watch the final at 1am here or Australia's last group game at midnight.
  • Options
    I worry about Messi's mental state. That pressure would send anyone off into a spiral of depression.
    I read that he locked himself in his room for hours after that Iceland game.
  • Options
    I worry about Messi's mental state. That pressure would send anyone off into a spiral of depression.
    He might have to come to the realization that even some of the greatest don’t win the biggest price unfortunately for Messi being one of the all time greats the biggest stage is the WC ! That’s why names like Pele Maradona , Beckenbauer , Klinsmann should always be remembered they won the trophy...
  • Options
    He might have to come to the realization that even some of the greatest don’t win the biggest price unfortunately for Messi being one of the all time greats the biggest stage is the WC ! That’s why names like Pele Maradona , Beckenbauer , Klinsmann should always be remembered they won the trophy...
    Yep. 
    Did you see Neymar's tears after the win over Costa Rica?
    The television presenter here says it was relief at not having the same fate as Messi if Brazil failed to get out of the group stage.
    By the way are you South American? What's your country?
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,281
    He’s been carrying Argentina, and the hopes of the country, for years. A team of 11 good/great players will always be better than 1 superstar with 10 others and, unfortunately for them, there are no other players in the team anywhere near his level. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    He’s been carrying Argentina, and the hopes of the country, for years. A team of 11 good/great players will always be better than 1 superstar with 10 others and, unfortunately for them, there are no other players in the team anywhere near his level. 
    Which is why I find it so hard to understand why Argentinian fans are so harsh on him. What do they think he is, some sort of deity capable of miracles. 
  • Options
    Yep. 
    Did you see Neymar's tears after the win over Costa Rica?
    The television presenter here says it was relief at not having the same fate as Messi if Brazil failed to get out of the group stage.
    By the way are you South American? What's your country?
    I’m Chilean they didn’t even qualify ughh ...