Options

Texas shooting, Our fault.

Its been confirmed that a shotgun and a revolver were used.  Is it now time for all of us to agree that there is a fundamental breakdown that we have all all created one way or another verses banning a certain type of gun?  

Comments

• Options
    mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    I’ll even elaborate more.  We’ve so focused on banning a certain type of gun, and in that hysteria ignored every othe factor.  But be careful of the double edged sword.  
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835
    You can't be serious. The only fundamental breakdown is America's obsession with guns and easy access to them.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Right, because fundamental breakdowns across an entire society are super easy to diagnose and fix!  If only we hadn't wasted time talking about the guns that make the killing possible, we would have solved this fundamental breakdown easy peasy!

:anguished:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Its been confirmed that a shotgun and a revolver were used.  Is it now time for all of us to agree that there is a fundamental breakdown that we have all all created one way or another verses banning a certain type of gun?  
    Pertaining to your last six words, I agree that “banning a certain type of gun” on its own is unlikely to have much of an impact. Much more needs to be done, which probably includes significantly limiting access to certain types of guns. 

I doubt we need another gun thread on AMT, though. This issue is pretty throughly discussed on the threads we have and it would be tedious to repeat it. 

I wanted to post here an enlightening article from the NYT on reducing gun violence by taking a public health approach. Unfortunately, even though I read it yesterday, I can’t find it today. Royal  wedding coverage has pushed it off the main page....

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited May 2018
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Hallelujah!  Another gun thread!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    If this family had one of the weapons many of us want banned laying around, this horrific shooting would have likely been even more horrific.

If this family had taken precautions and properly stored these weapons that I believe should remain legal, this horrific shooting would have likely not happened at all.

The fundamental breakdown is with gun ownership and gun culture. There are too many guns in general, many of which are stored carelessly, and they are too easy to access by kids who want whatever this kid wanted. The fundamental breakdown isn't the fault of those of us who want common sense gun control. It is the fault of those who insist on doing nothing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    I do agree with you on the left leaning media and anti-gunners constantly and obsessively talking about banning the ar-15 and the now catch phrase "weapons of war".   It's odd how this particular shooting isn't making the facebook rounds like parkland; maybe because of the weapon used?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I do agree with you on the left leaning media and anti-gunners constantly and obsessively talking about banning the ar-15 and the now catch phrase "weapons of war".   It's odd how this particular shooting isn't making the facebook rounds like parkland; maybe because of the weapon used?
    It is.  This story is everywhere.
    The narrative is a little different, but it's still all over FB and everywhere else.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    The amount of people who could get killed with a weapon like that is still higher. That's the point.
  • Options
    Why does someone get classified an anti-gunner just because they want common sense gun laws?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If not wanting high school kids to be able to walk into a classroom with an assault rifle makes me an "anti gunner" then so be it. You want to own a shotgun? Fine. You feel you need a handgun? OK. Lock them up and treat them like the dangerous weapons that they are. If you can't do that then you are part of the problem.

The thread title claims this shooting was "our fault." Bullshit. If you've been fighting common sense gun control all these years then this shooting was your fault. Just like the last one and just like the next one.

• Options
    What's your point here matts?  To instigate and, as Meltdown said, to lump everyone into two distinct camps?  This kind of thread produces no results other than yet another AMT thread shoot-out.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    YOU ARE NOT an anti gunner if you want common sense gun laws...

We in Canada have decent gun laws.  Plenty of people I know still hunt and enjoy and they never complain about such nuisances as trigger locks, proper gun storage...etc.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Yeah, but a trigger lock would be a total inconvenience at the shooting range so... Yep, that's considered a valid point in the debate by one side in this fucked up country.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Let’s legalize dynamite for all since people can just make a pipe bomb if they wanted to blow something.   
  • Options
    "Our fault."

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    Must be thrilled now that you can keep your AR15.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    What's your point here matts?  To instigate and, as Meltdown said, to lump everyone into two distinct camps?  This kind of thread produces no results other than yet another AMT thread shoot-out.

What the arms race used to look like.

• Options
    If you have an old shitty staircase in front of your house and someone falls through it injuring themselves... you're responsible. And you should be. You're negligent to the public.

If you have a gun that is used to kill people because you left it accessible to a murderer... you're responsible. Right now you're not. You should be. You're negligent to the public.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    You stated that AR and similar weapons are designed for only killing and should not be available... did you change your opinion?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You stated that AR and similar weapons are designed for only killing and should not be available... did you change your opinion?
    Yeah I thought he did maybe he did just for a couple of months or since this wasn’t an AR 15 crime it doesn’t count ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No not at all, why?  I just find the obsession with the left is too get rid of the scary black weapons that are only used very rarely in crimes.  I would think things like training, background checks and gun locks should be a bigger priority.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    edited May 2018
    Why does someone get classified an anti-gunner just because they want common sense gun laws?
    Because the right has to continually feed the fabrication that they are under sttack by the left. It’s the foundation of their agenda. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    The right is constantly under attack by the left. The left is constantly under attack by the right, too. It's fucking ridiculous. Those that reside in the middle are lumped into either extreme, depending on the topic being discussed. 

I don't know where the perceived need to put everyone into some specific category came from but it's a pretty stupid development .

Why can't people just be recognized as individuals? 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    No not at all, why?  I just find the obsession with the left is too get rid of the scary black weapons that are only used very rarely in crimes.  I would think things like training, background checks and gun locks should be a bigger priority.  
    More than "the left" are in favor of banning AR style weapons, a large majority of Americans actually are in favor of that... 

And call me crazy but maybe the AR gets a lot of attention because it's being used to mow down crowds at movie theaters,  churches, offices, softball fields,  night clubs,  music festivals, elementary schools, and high schools... why wouldn't it get a ton of attention, it's the weapon of choice for the 21st century mass murder?

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    The right is constantly under attack by the left. The left is constantly under attack by the right, too. It's fucking ridiculous. Those that reside in the middle are lumped into either extreme, depending on the topic being discussed. 

I don't know where the perceived need to put everyone into some specific category came from but it's a pretty stupid development .

Makes sense to me, dudeman.  Better to judge (if you will) people by the quality of their minds and deeds rather than a label. 

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    brianlux said:
    dudeman said:

Makes sense to me, dudeman.  Better to judge (if you will) people by the quality of their minds and deeds rather than a label. 
    Rather than judge people by the quality of their minds, we can even take it a step further as a book I read suggested, and judge ideas by their quality as a meritocracy of thought. I loved that when I read it and still love it now.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I blame gangsta rap and heavy metal music.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    I blame gangsta rap and heavy metal music.
    And Murphy Brown.