edited January 2008 in The Porch
Features
2007: Music top 10
David Burger
David Burger The Salt Lake Tribune

27 December 2007
The Salt Lake Tribune
N/a

As much as the dignity of albums has been stripped away because of everyone's penchant for downloading singles from the Internet, there are still albums released in 2007 that resonate throughout. In very particular order:

1. Eddie Vedder , Music for the Motion Picture 'Into the Wild'" - Far from being a Pearl Jam album, Vedder shows his singer- songwriter colors with simple, direct and evocative songs that tell stories that Sean Penn couldn't. It could have easily turned into a sanctimonious vanity project, but Vedder picks apt covers and pens some gems that are as much about forgiveness as rebellious individuality.

2. Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band, "Live from Dublin" - Unlike the limp, overrated "Magic" that he released with the E Street Band, the Boss shows why he's the Boss in this spirited double-album of folk songs and reinventions of some of his own songs.

3. Steve Earle, "Washington Square Serenade" - A paean to his new hometown of New York City, the ragged voice of Earle shines on top of innovative production from the Dust Brothers. A country-rock gem.

4. Kanye West, "Graduation" - Hopefully this time around the Grammy voters reward West for an album that blows 50 Cent out of the water with a sextant and a star.

5. Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black" - You can probably tell from the beehive and the eyelashes, but the retro-soul from the Brit starlet sounds like grand outtakes from Motown in the late 1960s.

6. Ryan Adams, "Easy Tiger" - Reportedly the first album made since he's been sober, Adams grows up and settles into a county- fried rock groove he's been searching for for years. Here, he finds the parking lot.

7. Dwight Yoakam , "Dwight Sings Buck" - A year after the legendary Buck Owens died, Yoakam pays tribute to his artistic idol with the Bakersfield Sound that Owens pioneered.

8.Richard Thompson, "Sweet Warrior" - One of the greatest guitar players alive gets his hands on an electric guitar again after spending the last few years noodling on his acoustic guitar.

9. Various Artists, "The Brit Box: U.K. Indie, Shoegaze, and Brit-Pop Gems of the Last Millennium" - Rhino Records does it again with a four-disc collection of the best British pop-rock nuggets of the 1980s and 1990s.

10. M.I.A., "Kala" - An insanely catchy world music album that sounds unlike anything you've ever heard -- because it takes a little bit of something from every corner of the planet. It has the spirit of "Groove is in the Heart," only this time done by a Sri Lankan rapper.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    Spot on.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    nice :)
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    Entertainment
    THE SOUNDS OF '07

30 December 2007
    Asbury Park Press

It's time once again for Press Music Correspondent Tim Donnelly's totally unscientific look at the year in rock music at the Jersey Shore and beyond:

Album of the Year: "Icky Thump," The White Stripes

Band of the Year: Foo Fighters

Male Artist of the Year: Bruce Springsteen

Female Artist of the Year: Lucinda Williams

Honorable Mentions, Female Artists of the Year: Norah Jones, Patti Smith

Breakthrough Artist of the Year: Feist

Crossover Artist of the Year: Manu Chao

Tour of the Year: Van Halen

Comebacks of the Year: Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Van Halen, The Police, Rage Against the Machine

Jersey Album of the Year: "Neptune City," Nicole Atkins

Jersey Artist of the Year: Wyclef Jean

Jersey Band of the Year: Robert Randolph and The Family Band

Best Shore-Area Band: The Chilling Details

Best Shore-Area Cover Act: Shorty Long

Local Lifetime Achievement Award: The Juggling Suns

Best Show at the PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel: Ratdog/Allman Brothers Band

Best Club Show: The Hold Steady at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park

Shore Venue of the Year: The Saint

Atlantic City Venue of the Year: The Borgata

Atlantic City Show of the Year: Foo Fighters at The Borgata

Single of the Year: "The Pretender," Foo Fighters

Most Promising New Venue: The Prudential Center in Newark

Best Movie Soundtrack: "Into the Wild," Eddie Vedder

DVD of the Year: Pearl Jam's "Immagine in Cornice" by Toms River's Danny Clinch

Cover Songs of the Year: U2's version of John Lennon's "Instant Karma"; Paul McCartney on Fats Domino's "I Want to Walk You Home."

Worst Single of the Year: "Rockstar," Nickelback

Worst Album of the Year: "Dreaming Out Loud," OneRepublic

Worst Things to Happen on NJ Concert Scene: Deaths at Ozzfest 2007 at the PNC Bank Arts Center, rampant teen drinking and arrests at PNC

Worst Things to Happen on Shore-Area Club Scene: Deaths of Big Danny Gallagher, Bernie Brausewetter, Terry Magovern and Bill Chinnock

Best Musical Event to Happen at The Shore in 2007: Paul Green's School of Rock Festival in Asbury Park

Shows to Look Forward to in NJ in 2008: Springsteen at Giants Stadium; the inaugural Vineland Music Festival
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    It's always nice to see Eddie getting some props... ITW soundtrack was masterful I thought as well. And the DVD release this year was awesome as well.

Tour of the Year: Van Halen? Yikes.