Options

New Jeff interview, talks new solo record, his band’s upcoming album and tour, plus Kanye

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Weirdest part - people keep referring to this HUGE PJ tour....where are the dates ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited May 2018
    Good interview. I think his comments on the album clarifies that they have indeed been working on an album, and plan to release one soon, but it just hasn’t been their main focus right now considering they’re touring and Jeff has a new album coming.

However, I’ve got a feeling that they are working on it even more now before Europe!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Weirdest part - people keep referring to this HUGE PJ tour....where are the dates ;)
    Ha, I know.  I thought the same exact thing.  They make 20 dates sounds like it's a 6 month tour or something.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    Good interview.  Thanks for posting. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    PJWGIII said:

However, I’ve got a feeling that they are working on it even more now before Europe!
    Well, he specifically says they aren't, but hope doesn't hurt I guess
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    I was a big fan and she played in my hometown in Montana a few years ago. I bought a t-shirt. Then we were playing a show in North Carolina two years ago, she came out to the show and we hung out and sort of stayed in contact.

What the fuck is he talking about? he must consider Greenville SC part of North Carolina?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    lolobugg said:
    I was a big fan and she played in my hometown in Montana a few years ago. I bought a t-shirt. Then we were playing a show in North Carolina two years ago, she came out to the show and we hung out and sort of stayed in contact.

What the fuck is he talking about? he must consider Greenville SC part of North Carolina?

Well to be fair they tour so much that they get confused about the states. 

I sae that and wondered what the hell he was talking about too!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    lolobugg said:

Well to be fair they tour so much that they get confused about the states. 

I sae that and wondered what the hell he was talking about too!

I hear ya, but with all the noise around cancelling the show in NC, you think he might remember our state.

angel olsen is based out of Asheville and Greenville SC is only about 60 miles from us so I will give him a pass....

as long as they make up the show. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    DeadmanDeadman Posts: 784
    Album gonna be a bit yet...
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I’m really disappointed in Jeff’s take on Kanye. Nobody has to accept Kanye’s beliefs in any way shape or form but to see a guy like Jeff say “I have a hard time separating the art from the artist...” or to accuse him of just doing this for publicity is just so sad. Pearl Jam has taken a variety of political stances over the years and fans such have myself have supported them in taking those positions even when I disagree with them. I support their art and their right to take a stand and I only assumed Jeff would feel the same. His closed mindedness is what is unfortunate.

• Options
    Also let’s be absolutely clear...

Can’t Deny Me doesn’t even come close to Ye vs. The People with respect to both quality and content. That’s the dragon energy right there Jeff.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    It sounds as though they have been writin and intend to write some more, but I don’t think much ‘recording’ Has been done. 2019 looks like the year! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Jeff is so down to earth.I agree with everyrhing he said in this interview. Bad fucking dream describes it perfectly.  I also agree its hard to seperate the art from the artist, thats why I love PJ.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Ive been trying to get less personal with all artists.  I cant stand hearing other peoples political opinions. Even if i agree with them :lol:    
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Kanye may suck, but at least his music does too.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    Kayne is a bitch. Don’t let ur work
    stand for itself, make a spectacle like ur in laws and run ur mouth like a moron. They guy is a over hyped dip shit
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    BS44325 said:
    I’m really disappointed in Jeff’s take on Kanye. Nobody has to accept Kanye’s beliefs in any way shape or form but to see a guy like Jeff say “I have a hard time separating the art from the artist...” or to accuse him of just doing this for publicity is just so sad. Pearl Jam has taken a variety of political stances over the years and fans such have myself have supported them in taking those positions even when I disagree with them. I support their art and their right to take a stand and I only assumed Jeff would feel the same. His closed mindedness is what is unfortunate.

I get what you're saying, but I'd call it the Nugent effect. When an artist is generally a jackass as a person, I have a hard time enjoying their music. I think it makes sense. I think Kanye has made some outstanding music over the years, but he is such a narcissistic asshat I can't stand it. You can't compare PJ to someone like that because they're not self righteous reality TV pricks. PJ get a pass because they're all decent people. Ed may go on a rant, but he's never proclaimed himself to be the next coming of Christ. Not much decent about Kanye the person.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Kanye acting like a little bitch because Obama called him a jackass. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Album - 2019
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I’m done caring about what this band or its members think of any other artist or political figures, Kanye is another dispicable human as far as I’m concerned..
    wake me when this band actually gets back to pushing the envelope as far as their music is concerned...or doing an actual tour this peice meal plan they have us on is weak ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    BS44325 said:

I get what you're saying, but I'd call it the Nugent effect. When an artist is generally a jackass as a person, I have a hard time enjoying their music. I think it makes sense. I think Kanye has made some outstanding music over the years, but he is such a narcissistic asshat I can't stand it. You can't compare PJ to someone like that because they're not self righteous reality TV pricks. PJ get a pass because they're all decent people. Ed may go on a rant, but he's never proclaimed himself to be the next coming of Christ. Not much decent about Kanye the person.
    I understand and I actually don’t care how people feel about Kanye but I’m getting the impression from this interview that Jeff is telling Kanye to “shut up and sing”. We all know how PJ felt about the attacks on them and the Dixie Chicks etc. during the Bush years and it comes off as hypocritical to see Jeff fail to support another artist even if he disagrees with him. A more thoughful response would have been “I personally disagree with Kanye but I respect his right as an artist to take a stand and push his position through his art”. Is Jeff ok with radio stations banning Kanye’s music like some did to the Dixie Chicks? A real courageous answer would have taken the rights of artistic expression head on as it is what PJ has always stood for and Jeff failed massively on this front. No dragon energy.
  • Options
    Jeff might want to read this thread if he’s still confused

https://twitter.com/snowcone965/status/991695769714479104?s=21

Is it all just performance art?
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i dont know one kanye song. lines are drawn everyday on every issue and imo kanye has far passed that line of what's acceptable. the taylor swift incident happened along time ago...the dude loves publicity and comes off as a total jack ass. way too many incidents imo
    comparing what kanye blabbs on about, all the time, to 1 little thing nathalie maines said in another country about a bad president is like comparing apples and oranges.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    Bummer that no album is in site.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,937
    Sarava said:
    Bummer that no album is in site.
    Yeah it looks like they may get back in the studio at some time but have no set plans. 2019 at best. You’d hope between touring this year they spend some
    time writing and recording. With a 2019 tour in some way shape or form. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    BS44325 said:

I agree with you. I respect Pearl Jam's and every artist's right to express their political opinions, and can have different thoughts about an artist's beliefs and their music (so long as it isn't very explicitly and specifically the message of the song, which is extremely rare, even for PJ) As Jeff says himself, that's art! 

However, I respect Jeff's difference in that opinion too, and if he wants to judge artists by their political beliefs, he has every right to do that himself. I don't advocate that and I suggest the above paragraph, but I respect his right to do otherwise. I'll just tell him one thing: if people did what he is doing to Pearl Jam (and they did back in the Bush years), they would not have nearly as much success. 

I personally respect Kanye's talent and music, and while it's surely not my favorite and I don't agree with his views, I respect his ability to have them. All of my disliking of his music lies in the fact that simply I don't like lots of his sound and he breaks the first commandment of Pearl Jam: Even in a non-political setting, he's just an asshole and can't get away from that.
    Post edited by PJWGIII on

: Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I cant stand hearing other peoples political opinions. Even if i agree with them :lol:    
    This is nearly a perfect description of my life as an independent :lol:

EV:

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:
    tbergs said:
    BS44325 said:

I understand and I actually don’t care how people feel about Kanye but I’m getting the impression from this interview that Jeff is telling Kanye to “shut up and sing”. We all know how PJ felt about the attacks on them and the Dixie Chicks etc. during the Bush years and it comes off as hypocritical to see Jeff fail to support another artist even if he disagrees with him. A more thoughful response would have been “I personally disagree with Kanye but I respect his right as an artist to take a stand and push his position through his art”. Is Jeff ok with radio stations banning Kanye’s music like some did to the Dixie Chicks? A real courageous answer would have taken the rights of artistic expression head on as it is what PJ has always stood for and Jeff failed massively on this front. No dragon energy.
    There's not even a hint of "shut up and sing" in that. 
    You are (whether you realize it or not) riding a bandwagon  that's hot right now, right wingers jumping to Kanye's defense because he said something good about Trump.  It's all the rage right now, but it will pass soon.
    Don't just make up a controversy where there is none to be had.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,061
    I guess I just don’t care that he expressed his opinions. What’s he supposed to do?  Give some generic bullshit answer?  He was asked questions and he answered them honestly. I also have trouble separating the artist from the art with certain artists. He gave respectable, honest, reasonable answers. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited May 2018
    BS44325 said:

I am not surprised to see you say this at all, but I still don't understand why you are "disappointed" in him for not being able to separate the art from the artist, given how much emotions are involved when it comes to art, especially for actual artists. To me, it only makes sense to combine the art and the artist. For me, it is odd that anyone CAN separate the art from the artist.... It almost suggests a lack of understanding of what art and being an artist actually means.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata