Options

Scammers telephoning

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Thankfully, I don't get scammers calling my cell phone. I do get a lot of wrong numbers because my number is 1 digit different than a local auto parts store. I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize and more than half of them leave a voice mail looking for some part. Delete delete delete.

Still have a landline (for some reason my wife is very hesitant to give that up) and we get 2 scammers in particular. The first is "Windows" calling to tell me that my computer is racked with viruses, malware, etc. I'm in IT and wanted to know exactly what they were trying to do. I figured they would tell me to download their antivirus, which, of course would be a virus itself. Turns out they were getting people to turn on remote access so they could take over your machine. When i had enough and busted the scammer for being a POS and preying on people that don't know better, he got extremely pissed off and almost violent sounding. The second call is the "IRS" telling me I'm behind 5 years on paying taxes and will go to jail if I don't settle it right then or there. I tell them to send the authorities to come get me and hang up.
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Got a call from Armenia today. Obviously didn't answer. Been told that the scammers can choose collect call, and then you all of a sudden owe them lots of money if you answer.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I get scammy phone calls a lot lately. All last week I was getting 3 calls a day that are just a recording in Chinese. Apparently it's a fraud scam aimed at Chinese people, and they seem to have unlimited local numbers to call from. Every time I get the call I block the number, but then 3 hours later I get the same call from a new local number. It's really annoying. But it's fallen off in the last few days... perhaps I finally blocked all their numbers. I hope so!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    PJ_Soul said:
    I get scammy phone calls a lot lately. All last week I was getting 3 calls a day that are just a recording in Chinese. Apparently it's a fraud scam aimed at Chinese people, and they seem to have unlimited local numbers to call from. Every time I get the call I block the number, but then 3 hours later I get the same call from a new local number. It's really annoying. But it's fallen off in the last few days... perhaps I finally blocked all their numbers. I hope so!

Your name isn't Donna Chang is it?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well my original name is Changstein, but I don't know what that's got to do with anything.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well my original name is Changstein, but I don't know what that's got to do with anything.

Maybe the rines were crossed.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Whatever it is, it's getting ridicruous.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Cartwright!
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been getting those, too.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I just got an amazing opportunity that many of you would have missed. The prince of Nigeria was stranded and needed just a few thousand transferred to him, he's going to send me 50k when he gets home. He's the Nigerian prince so of course I trust him.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been getting those, too.
    Me, too. Just got another one an hour ago. Left a voicemail in Chinese. Added to my blocked list.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thankfully, I don't get scammers calling my cell phone. I do get a lot of wrong numbers because my number is 1 digit different than a local auto parts store. I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize and more than half of them leave a voice mail looking for some part. Delete delete delete.

Still have a landline (for some reason my wife is very hesitant to give that up) and we get 2 scammers in particular. The first is "Windows" calling to tell me that my computer is racked with viruses, malware, etc. I'm in IT and wanted to know exactly what they were trying to do. I figured they would tell me to download their antivirus, which, of course would be a virus itself. Turns out they were getting people to turn on remote access so they could take over your machine. When i had enough and busted the scammer for being a POS and preying on people that don't know better, he got extremely pissed off and almost violent sounding. The second call is the "IRS" telling me I'm behind 5 years on paying taxes and will go to jail if I don't settle it right then or there. I tell them to send the authorities to come get me and hang up.
    We get the same calls here.
    I've had the Windows calls, funny that I don't have Windows.
    Also, we get people claiming to be from the ATO (our version of the IRS) threatening people with jail if they do not pay up.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bluegrace said:
    Got a call from Armenia today. Obviously didn't answer. Been told that the scammers can choose collect call, and then you all of a sudden owe them lots of money if you answer.
    Shit. Never heard that one. Better be careful.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Interesting. My dad answered the phone last week to some recording in Chinese.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Or maybe someone from China was ronrey. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I just got an amazing opportunity that many of you would have missed. The prince of Nigeria was stranded and needed just a few thousand transferred to him, he's going to send me 50k when he gets home. He's the Nigerian prince so of course I trust him.
    Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. 
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    cutz said:
    I answer the call and i don't say a word. They usually hang up after a few seconds or so. I was getting way too many Voice Mails from them when i ignored the call, so if i answer  they can't leave a voice mail. Not answering, IMO, does not prevent these calls. I don't think it's ever gonna stop.

Answering, I believe,  tells them they have a live person there and your number then becomes more valuable to other spammers.

if i dont recognise a number, i dont answer my phone. someone from another state has been calling my phone for weeks now and cause i dont actually know anyone in said state, im never gonna pick up... no matter how many times they call. fuck 'em. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Also, we get people claiming to be from the ATO (our version of the IRS) threatening people with jail if they do not pay up.
    so many people freak out about the ATO. they second guess themselves and lets face it who wants to owe the tax man money(even if they dont). but the ATO dont threatened.  theyre more into having a chat and sorting out the issue and how, if you do owe taxes, how that debt can be paid off.  
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Not a phone call, but I once got a phishing email that was absolutely brutal. It threatened me and my family and my pets at length, saying that if I didn't send money they'd torture and kill me and/or any or all of them. :tired: While I wasn't worried it would actually happen, it was still unnerving, and it made me worry for some seniors who might get such a message, and really react with fear, as some seniors do, and end up sending money. Some seniors are so vulnerable because of how thinking and emotions can change in old age. Some people think that even old folks who fall for stuff like this must be stupid, but they usually aren't. They just can't help how their thinking processes have changed. Fear can end up taking over reason for some. It's terrible that so many are willing to advantage of that fact with fraudulent calls and emails. Just last week local news heavily covered a case here about a senior who had $800K - his life savings - scammed out of him via an elaborate and ongoing telephone scam that convinced the poor man that the Vancouver police were involved in some kind of major theft case involving his bank accounts or something like that. Authorities have been unable to get the money back. The old guy is obviously devastated, and probably humiliated too. And investigators have found that 4 or 5 other seniors in Canada have been victims of the same scammers, and the money they lost collectively came to over $5 million! I just don't know how those fuckers who took everything from vulnerable people can sleep at night.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Not a phone call, but I once got a phishing email that was absolutely brutal. It threatened me and my family and my pets at length, saying that if I didn't send money they'd torture and kill me and/or any or all of them. :tired: While I wasn't worried it would actually happen, it was still unnerving, and it made me worry for some seniors who might get such a message, and really react with fear, as some seniors do, and end up sending money. Some seniors are so vulnerable because of how thinking and emotions can change in old age. Some people think that even old folks who fall for stuff like this must be stupid, but they usually aren't. They just can't help how their thinking processes have changed. Fear can end up taking over reason for some. It's terrible that so many are willing to advantage of that fact with fraudulent calls and emails. Just last week local news heavily covered a case here about a senior who had $800K - his life savings - scammed out of him via an elaborate and ongoing telephone scam that convinced the poor man that the Vancouver police were involved in some kind of major theft case involving his bank accounts or something like that. Authorities have been unable to get the money back. The old guy is obviously devastated, and probably humiliated too. And investigators have found that 4 or 5 other seniors in Canada have been victims of the same scammers, and the money they lost collectively came to over $5 million! I just don't know how those fuckers who took everything from vulnerable people can sleep at night.

I've spoke to a couple older people at worked who've been scammed in a similar way to this and someone else was scammed via the "Windows" call. They just pray on older people.

I always tell my parents to never answer a call they don't recognize and then google the phone number. If it seems legit, then call back. If not, block. My dad's gotten into a bunch of screaming matches with these people. They also moved a few years ago. A lot of the scams are coming from the previous area code they had so they think it's one of their old friends trying to reach them. ...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    I don't have caller ID.  I'm o-o-o-o-o-o-o-old school landline.  I have a cell phone but  I only use it when I'm on the road (not often).  I have no idea if that phone ever gets scammers but I suspect the text messages it gets might be scammers.  But I don't know because I don't know how to text message.

I know what you're thinking so don't say it...  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    I don't have caller ID.  I'm o-o-o-o-o-o-o-old school landline.  I have a cell phone but  I only use it when I'm on the road (not often).  I have no idea if that phone ever gets scammers but I suspect the text messages it gets might be scammers.  But I don't know because I don't know how to text message.

No Caller ID ,,, get with the times ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
     I only answer recognizable numbers ... I'm not crazy about talking to people I know.  I'm sure as hell not talking to a stranger scammer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I answer all calls unless the number is obviously a junk number because I really don't see the point in not answering them. People act like not answering somehow makes a difference, but I don't see how, unless you are concerned about the possibility of falling for a scam yourself. I'm personally not worried about that at all. So either they are scam calls and I hang up and block the number, or they are legit calls. And I want those legit calls - I've found that not answering some of those can be a way bigger pain in the ass that answering them is.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    brianlux said:

No need to, really.  I've never felt the need for caller I.D., nor for an iPhone or a GPS or HDTV or an MP3 player or a Nintendo (although I do have an early 90's GameBoy that works great) or a Kindle.  I have none of those things and am quite happy without them.  As for getting with the times, I prefer to live on the edge of time or even out of time.  It's all a continuum anyway.  There is no time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    But if they're valid calls, they would leave a message, no?  Especially if urgent?

Not answering does make a difference!  For me, at least.  It means not wasting my time, my battery, let alone the conversation itself. 

Anyway, I am (thankfully) not handcuffed to my phone.  I don't even feel bad missing calls from close family =)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No need to, really.  I've never felt the need for caller I.D., nor for an iPhone or a GPS or HDTV or an MP3 player or a Nintendo (although I do have an early 90's GameBoy that works great) or a Kindle.  I have none of those things and am quite happy without them.  As for getting with the times, I prefer to live on the edge of time or even out of time.  It's all a continuum anyway.  There is no time.
    I think you might end up kind of forced to get at least a simple smartphone one of these days Brian, just to function adequately when out and about (or make some irritating sacrifices), but besides that, I don't see why you should feel the need for any of those things, since you have a computer (if you didn't, well, none of us would know you exist, hahaha). I think internet access is a necessity now, but other than that, it's all just luxuries. And seriously, Google maps is one of the best things about smartphones, lol. It's just so damn handy!
  • Options

so many people freak out about the ATO. they second guess themselves and lets face it who wants to owe the tax man money(even if they dont). but the ATO dont threatened.  theyre more into having a chat and sorting out the issue and how, if you do owe taxes, how that debt can be paid off.  
    What about the scams where the caller pretends to be the victims bank and they need him/her to provide their pin number/net bank password to deal with an issue.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ummm...don't provide personal info over the phone, period?

I do get the senior thing, but otherwise...common fucking sense.
  • Options

What about the scams where the caller pretends to be the victims bank and they need him/her to provide their pin number/net bank password to deal with an issue.
    "oh ok thanks for the call. I'll go into  my branch tomorrow and sort it out. thanks for calling. " *click*  ;):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say