Options

Scammers telephoning

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited May 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone else here receive such calls?
I have been receiving calls on the home phone for a few days now from some server generated number.
Claiming to be from the "internet security department" of an Australian telecommunications company (Telstra).
Saying there's problems with my internet (hackers and viruses) and I need to get on some website to fix it and if I don't they will cut off my internet right away.
People with Indian accents all the time and with a lot of background noise like a call centre. 
I had fun with one lady yesterday. Kept her on the line for over 10 minutes.
Everytime I had her explain the problem I would play a YouTube of Luke Skywalker after he finds out Vader is his dad "no, that's not true, that's impossible" and "amazing, everything you just said, is wrong" from TLJ. 
I'm waiting for the next call, I have my Luke Skywalker soundboard from some site I found off Google "it just isn't faaaair"
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,251
    All you have to do is answer one of those calls and you will be bombarded by multiple scammers from here until eternity. Just do not answer any number you don't recognize and then block it. Answering is the worst thing you can do.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    All you have to do is answer one of those calls and you will be bombarded by multiple scammers from here until eternity. Just do not answer any number you don't recognize and then block it. Answering is the worst thing you can do.
    So funny thing about the "blocking" of numbers.

I started hitting  a reply text of "I'm on my way" instead of blocking the call to have some fun.  Well I get replies to my text that ask "who's this?"

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Come to find out that the robocallers are using real peoples caller ID and hiding their numbers.  So the 100 other calls that I've blocked were actual numbers and not the robocallers.
  • Options

I started hitting  a reply text of "I'm on my way" instead of blocking the call to have some fun.  Well I get replies to my text that ask "who's this?"

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Come to find out that the robocallers are using real peoples caller ID and hiding their numbers.  So the 100 other calls that I've blocked were actual numbers and not the robocallers.

Yeah I forget the name of that kind of scam. But they try to make it seem like it is a local call so you're more inclined to answer. Texting is the same thing as answering though. So the more you text, the more calls you're going to get.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Yup. I actually called back a number and some guy answers and says he didn't call me. There's nothing you can do. Blocking numbers doesn't work because they just keep using new numbers that are masked to look like local numbers that you may recognize. Then there's the other set of robocalls that come from all over the place, different states and countries.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Yup. I actually called back a number and some guy answers and says he didn't call me. There's nothing you can do. Blocking numbers doesn't work because they just keep using new numbers that are masked to look like local numbers that you may recognize. Then there's the other set of robocalls that come from all over the place, different states and countries.

I notice this happens to me more often after I make or receive an actual call. Then within 10 minutes or so one of these nonsense calls come in...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    Try downloading an app like "hiya"

That can block a lot of these type of calls.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Yeah I forget the name of that kind of scam. But they try to make it seem like it is a local call so you're more inclined to answer. Texting is the same thing as answering though. So the more you text, the more calls you're going to get.
    Yup, the majority of the weird ones show the same area code and prefix as I.  Not gonna fool me!  Agreed that the rule of thumb is to ignore any unfamiliar number.  Nary a voicemail yet.

One other thing I've heard is to avoid saying the word "yes" if you actually speak with a scammer.  That can be spliced into conversation to make it appear you agreed to whatever is being offered.
  • Options

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

My own number was on the caller id before too...  I screen shot that one, lol.
  • Options

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Yeah that has happened to me a couple times. So weird
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    I answer the call and i don't say a word. They usually hang up after a few seconds or so. I was getting way too many Voice Mails from them when i ignored the call, so if i answer  they can't leave a voice mail. Not answering, IMO, does not prevent these calls. I don't think it's ever gonna stop.
  • Options
    Jed said:
    Try downloading an app like "hiya"

That can block a lot of these type of calls.
    Jed, and Anyone else, try this App? If so, does it really work?
  • Options
    cutz said:
    I answer the call and i don't say a word. They usually hang up after a few seconds or so. I was getting way too many Voice Mails from them when i ignored the call, so if i answer  they can't leave a voice mail. Not answering, IMO, does not prevent these calls. I don't think it's ever gonna stop.
    I can't believe that we don't have laws preventing these damn calls...
  • Options
    cutz said:

Answering, I believe,  tells them they have a live person there and your number then becomes more valuable to other spammers.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:

Answering, I believe,  tells them they have a live person there and your number then becomes more valuable to other spammers.
    I've done the the no answering for long periods of time, and that doesn't prevent the calls.In fact when i didn't answer and Blocked the number, my auto reject box was so filled i had to delete older blocked numbers. Like i said: I don't think it's  ever gonna  stop.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    I can't believe that we don't have laws preventing these damn calls...
    I think ther are laws, but i also think it's difficult to catch these Scammers.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

I've done the the no answering for long periods of time, and that doesn't prevent the calls.In fact when i didn't answer and Blocked the number, my auto reject box was so filled i had to delete older blocked numbers. Like i said: I don't think it's  ever gonna  stop.

Answering is doing more harm than not though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

I reply, you called me.

No I didn't?!?

Yeah that has happened to me a couple times. So weird
    Same here.  I also get a bunch of calls from a number that that has the last two digits of my number switched.  I usually just use my iPhone's block this caller feature and I sign up for the DNC list every year, even though it's supposed to last 7 years or something. It never does.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I just don’t answer. There will be a flurry of calls from weird numbers for weeks and then it dies off again for months at a time. I think, on balance, the not answering works. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I just don’t answer. There will be a flurry of calls from weird numbers for weeks and then it dies off again for months at a time. I think, on balance, the not answering works. 
    That's been about my experience. Even being on the DNC registry I still get calls.  But I'll get them all at the same time then it dies down for a while.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I don't think you can block calls on landline phones, the number on the screen is some weird server generated number and the last few digits change with each call.
    The caller even said that it's a server generated number when I told her I see it's not an Aussie number.
    They didn't call last night, so maybe they got the hint that I ain't no fool.
    The same lady called me 3 times, how dumb does she think I am.
    I even told her that I am recording her and then she said she's recording me before hanging up before calling the next day.
    I like having fun with them, she was so confused at the Star Wars sound bits.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Btw, I took note of the numbers and date/time and reported it to Telstra's abuse team.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    I realized that more than 90% of the calls I was receiving on my landline were spam. So I cancelled voicemail and turned off the ringer, and gave my cell number to people who actually have a reason to call me. I use the landline for outgoing calls only. (Yes, it's on the "do not call" registry; scammers don't care.)

Of course, now I'm getting spam calls on my cell phone, but those are easy to reject. I only answer if I know who's calling. Otherwise, if it's important, they will leave a message.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    I realized that more than 90% of the calls I was receiving on my landline were spam. So I cancelled voicemail and turned off the ringer, and gave my cell number to people who actually have a reason to call me. I use the landline for outgoing calls only. (Yes, it's on the "do not call" registry; scammers don't care.)

Of course, now I'm getting spam calls on my cell phone, but those are easy to reject. I only answer if I know who's calling. Otherwise, if it's important, they will leave a message.
    I don’t think I got your cell number...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Answering is doing more harm than not though.
    With all due respect, but i guess you  didn't read what i posted about getting calls and not answering? It did not matter if i answered or not, they still call.  And, they're always gonna call. It SUCKS but ther is no way around it.

• Options

Well, i told you MY experience in my earlier post(I've done the NO answering of the phone and it did not matter as they STILL call). I wish i was lying, but i'm not.
  • Options
    cutz said:

Well, i told you MY experience in my earlier post(I've done the NO answering of the phone and it did not matter as they STILL call). I wish i was lying, but i'm not.
    Haha...I’m not saying you’re lying. I’m saying answering isn’t helping, it’s making it worse because now they know it’s a live phone line. So you’re number becomes more valuable to other scammers hoping to eventually sucker you into something. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^^^I can't explain it any better as i've told you that they still call when i do not answer.^^^^>Ther just TOO many scammers doing it.
  • Options
    cutz said:
    ^^^^^I can't explain it any better as i've told you that they still call when i do not answer.^^^^>Ther just TOO many scammers doing it.
    I’m not saying it will stop if you don’t answer. I’m simply saying answering makes it worse because you’re basically telling them they have a better shot at scamming your phone number than one that doesn’t answer any of their calls. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutz said:
    I’m not saying it will stop if you don’t answer. I’m simply saying answering makes it worse because you’re basically telling them they have a better shot at scamming your phone number than one that doesn’t answer any of their calls. 

HAHAHA>Thanks for playing, Jug.