Options

*** OFFICIAL “Please drop the “ya ya” segue from CORDUROY PETITION****

lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
edited April 2018 in The Porch
I love the band - love the song - will “eat waffles if waffles are for breakfast “ (Ed would know what I mean ) but dear God :angry:
this forced sing along sucks all the momentum out of what is a perfectly grand peak in the original version !!!
you can even hear all the crowds sing the missing verse “ everything has chains “...!
no need for an artificial “yeah yeah” chant ...
If you agree , simply give me a thumbs up - original CORDUROY IS FUCKING BRILLIANT !
Respectfully submitted-
"This here's a REQUEST!"
EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
10/25/13 Hartford
Post edited by locked on

Comments

• Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,000
    Thumbs up
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    yea yea yea, I like it when they change up the songs and evolve, some are better than others :)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    1000 percent agree. Liked it the first time but I didn’t want to hear it every time. Just like when they changed Garden, interesting at first but don’t mess with perfection 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,894
    Thumbs up
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    jniko said:
    1000 percent agree. Liked it the first time but I didn’t want to hear it every time. Just like when they changed Garden, interesting at first but don’t mess with perfection 
    Keeping it random and not doing it EVERY time would be quite a positive change. I like it, but it gets old fast if it is done every time.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Just saying ? 
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    I hate every sing-a-long...if I were near a window I would jump out of it whenever a sing-a-long is initiated
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    Hawk123 said:
    Thumbs up

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    Yes! Or at the very least mix it up from night to night. 
  • Options
    It’s really a pointless addition . The crowd is all over that song from the start !
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Agreed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,718
    I hate every sing-a-long...if I were near a window I would jump out of it whenever a sing-a-long is initiated
    Don’t ever see Green Day. Buddy had an extra ticket years ago and I went. Every other minute it was heeyyyyyooooooo. Drove me nuts 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    It’s funny… I can handle some call-and-response singalongs (eg, Daughter, Better Man) but hate it with others (eg, Corduroy, Not For You, Do The Evolution). Not sure why I can tolerate it with certain songs but not at all with others.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Don’t ever see Green Day. Buddy had an extra ticket years ago and I went. Every other minute it was heeyyyyyooooooo. Drove me nuts 
    Yeah. I’ve tried to listen to a few live shows from Green Day but all of those heyyoo’s are pretty annoying.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    It’s a fun part of PJ’s live set! ❤️
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    incognitonyincognitony KY Posts: 139
    Fight to get it back again.
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,190
    I like it when it's not every show and happens randomly. Just like DTE change up. Just keep it spicy. 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    It’s funny… I can handle some call-and-response singalongs (eg, Daughter, Better Man) but hate it with others (eg, Corduroy, Not For You, Do The Evolution). Not sure why I can tolerate it with certain songs but not at all with others.
    I'm not sure I've ever heard Not For You have a singalong... that would be odd.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    rummy said:
    I'm not sure I've ever heard Not For You have a singalong... that would be odd.
    It's just a bunch of call-and-responses  - like "awayawayo" and "yaya yaya" - that usually come before the "all that's sacred" line near the end of the song. I believe they did it a lot in 2006 and a few times in 2011/2012. At least that's what I've heard on the boots I've listened to.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    edited July 2023
    I wish Ed would drop his quasi Michael Jackson "He heeeeee"s that he goes to when he can't hit a note. When did that start? Was it around the time Into the Wild was released?

The Not for you call and response is worse imo. An absolutely brutal 1994 track has now become a weakened slopfest with Ed's pre show vocal warm up sung at us in the middle section. 
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 585
    I love sing alongs in concert. Those are some of the most magical moments I’ve ever experienced. Not necessarily what OP is talking about in Corduroy but when the whole arena sings every word to a song like Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” it’s an incredible thing to be a part of in my opinion. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yeah that out of place eeeeeeheeeeeee is the worst
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    100% on board with this thread
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,692
    Thumbs up. Hate the current version, especially when its a show opener. 
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    It doesn’t bother me. Maybe change it up more often.
    What I don’t like is when the audience sings the first verse to Betterman.
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,231
    I wish Ed would drop his quasi Michael Jackson "He heeeeee"s that he goes to when he can't hit a note. When did that start? Was it around the time Into the Wild was released?

The Not for you call and response is worse imo. An absolutely brutal 1994 track has now become a weakened slopfest with Ed's pre show vocal warm up sung at us in the middle section. 
    the hee hee is bad 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    baldog27baldog27 Posts: 156
    "There is no throat"
  • Options
    yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,614
    I think the sing-a-longs are great when you don’t know they’re coming and it feels organic (even if it’s not). When you know it’s coming it loses the magic. I used to love the SIFL tag on Betterman, now, not so much. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    edited July 2023
    ZoSoTim said:
    I love sing alongs in concert. Those are some of the most magical moments I’ve ever experienced. Not necessarily what OP is talking about in Corduroy but when the whole arena sings every word to a song like Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” it’s an incredible thing to be a part of in my opinion. 
    I should clarify...I said sing-a-long but I was referring to the call and response stuff. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville