Options

If you only had access to one of these genres of books, which would you choose?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
edited March 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Almost as difficult as a really tough "would you rather"! (I started with 14 options but am only allowed to post 10.)
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

If you only had access to one of these genres of books, which would you choose? 27 votes

Classics in Literature
11%
Thoughts_ArrivergambsSmallestOceans 3 votes
Contemporary Literature (Palauniuk, Picoult etc.)
7%
elvistheking44Malroth 2 votes
Best Sellers (Clancy, Patterson, etc.)
7%
markymark550RYME 2 votes
Science Fiction
7%
intodeepoceaninmyeyes 2 votes
Biographies
29%
josevolutiongoldrushlolobuggMedozKBLACK35OffSheGoes35WhatYouTaughtMeHughFreakingDillon 8 votes
Science/Nature/Outdoor Adventure
3%
brianlux 1 vote
Mysteries
29%
PureandEasyEnkidustuckinlineWobbieJimmyVBentleyspop23scidooRogueStoner 8 votes
Horror (King, Barker, etc.)
3%
PJ_Soul 1 vote
Romance Novels
0%
Creative Arts and Poetry
0%

Comments

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Contemporary Literature (Palauniuk, Picoult etc.)
    Booooks!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    Mysteries
    Brian,
    Great poll, but it was very difficult to choose only one. I flipped a coin for my choice.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,887
    Mysteries
    Went with mystery but would be unhappy losing access to many of the others.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Brian,
    Great poll, but it was very difficult to choose only one. I flipped a coin for my choice.
    Thanks!  Yeah, looking at this list it's kind of a form of self-torture.  If I had to make such an absurd choice, I would go with Science/Nature/Outdoor Adventure but would surely miss some of the other categories.  Fortunately, I would be able to know I'd read many of the classics.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,493
    Mysteries
    But i like also Horror and SF..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    10 is bullshit. We need @MedozK on this.

Missing comic books/mangia/graphic novels; how-to; history; psychology/self-help; children's (young adult, picture books, chapter books, choose your own adventure, etc.); reference; business; politics; criticism; erotica; essays; humor....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited March 2018
    Horror (King, Barker, etc.)
    I would actually choose the dystopian future/apocalyptic genre, if you can call that a genre.... I guess that covers a couple different genres at least. I chose horror for some reason to try and cover this, and because I'm a big Stephen King fan and wouldn't want to give him up (I really don't read any horror at all besides him, and lots of his stuff isn't even horror), but that doesn't cover it at all. To choose that "genre" I'd need to select modern fiction/lit, science fiction, and horror.... I guess I needed a sub-genre selection!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Too tough.  Fantasy/historical fiction/fiction

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Too tough.  Fantasy/historical fiction/fiction

F Me’s combo choice for the win!

I could live with that, though unhappily. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    ^^^^^ Except it needs to have SciFi too, so let’s call it speculative fiction. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Mysteries
    This is hard.  I'd also add non-fiction.  And I voted for mysteries, but classics was a close number 2.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    Mysteries
    "mysteries".....but more like crime noir (harry bosch, elvis cole, etc.), not the agatha christie type.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Classics in Literature
    Couldn't survive without Milton, Browning, Blake, Billie S, Wilde, etc
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    dankind said:

Missing comic books/mangia/graphic novels; how-to; history; psychology/self-help; children's (young adult, picture books, chapter books, choose your own adventure, etc.); reference; business; politics; criticism; erotica; essays; humor....
    I know!  Only 10 meant that I had to eliminate Automotive Repair Manuals and other hugely popular categories.  :anguished:

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would actually choose the dystopian future/apocalyptic genre, if you can call that a genre.... I guess that covers a couple different genres at least. I chose horror for some reason to try and cover this, and because I'm a big Stephen King fan and wouldn't want to give him up (I really don't read any horror at all besides him, and lots of his stuff isn't even horror), but that doesn't cover it at all. To choose that "genre" I'd need to select modern fiction/lit, science fiction, and horror.... I guess I needed a sub-genre selection!
    Yes, it could be considered a genre.  We get asked for that kind of thing regularly- everything from Abbot (Flatland) to Zamiatin (We).

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,845
    non-fiction.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Mysteries
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

I know!  Only 10 meant that I had to eliminate Automotive Repair Manuals and other hugely popular categories.  :anguished:
    :lol: 
    Cookbooks are popular in my house....judging by the spiderwebs. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:

:lol: 
    Cookbooks are popular in my house....judging by the spiderwebs. 
    LOL that is funny.. but wait!  You're not alone!  My wife has co-owned a used bookstore for 36 years and reads a lot of different kinds of stuff but the subject of books of which she has the most?  Yep, COOKBOOKS!  She has probably about 15 linear feet of 7 foot high shelving with nothing but cookbooks. Hundreds and hundreds of cookbooks. One bookcase alone that is about 26" wide and 6 feet high is nothing but Christmas cookbooks.  All different!  You might say she is really into cookbooks!  :lol:

Oh, and I might add, I have three cookbooks which I hardly ever use.  And I do at least half the cooking around here.
    C. freely admits that too :lol:
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Best Sellers (Clancy, Patterson, etc.)
    Of the choices, I guess it would be best sellers. I enjoy reading John Grisham and Brad Meltzer stories.

My favorite would be Chuck Klosterman. Not sure what genre he really fits into though. Sociology perhaps?
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2018
    Biographies
    dankind said:

lol, yea I need History... but of the ones listed. I guess I am in the minority with Bios.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:

lol, yea I need History... but of the ones listed. I guess I am in the minority with Bios.
    Oh man, yes.  History!  I wish I had included that and maybe dropped one of the lesser read categories.  So many great history related books!

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Biographies
    I enjoy reading about people who've had interesting lives when it's put into a good narrative. 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Biographies
    I thought you may appreciate this, Brian. It’s called “The Impact of a Book”...

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:

Very cool but you have to know, my first thought was OH NO!  Damaged book! And Kafka no less!

• Options
    I enjoy reading about people who've had interesting lives when it's put into a good narrative. 
    I love biographies too! 

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Biographies
    bios for me i don't like fiction only true stories for me ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Biographies
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Very cool but you have to know, my first thought was OH NO!  Damaged book! And Kafka no less!
    Or... you could think of it as the power of Kafka!

Only positive vibes this Friday morning!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

Or... you could think of it as the power of Kafka!

Only positive vibes this Friday morning!
    Sounds good to me goldrush!

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Mysteries
    Luckily we don't have to actually live with our one choice.  I'm an avid reader, love Clancy, King, Patterson . . . but I also love Lisa Scottoline, Sue Grafton.  I enjoy reading about characters I'm familiar with, those I've grown to know.  At the same time, The World According to Garp, The Red Badge of Courage, In Cold Blood and To Kill a Mockingbird are some of my all time favorites.  
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Biographies
    I love The World According to Garp. After reading that book, I went on a John Irving binge, and even though he has written other excellent books, Garp is still my favorite. Also love Truman Capote. I came across this photo of him just not too long ago and I thought it was so cool. So Truman Capote.