Options

The Clash

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
My newly framed treasuresigned by Joe  Mick

This is one of my prized possessions.  It is signed by Joe & Mick!

I first discovered The Clash when London Calling Calling came out while I was in middle school.  Hearing their music changed my life, and introduced me to punk and New Wave!

Comments

• Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    That poster is f@cking awesome. #Jealous. My top two bands are The Clash and The Who. I got into The Clash after seeing lots of pics of Pete Townshend wearing Clash T-shirts. I also read that Pete thought The Clash was the best band around at the time (circa 78-79). Listening to The Clash got me into Jamaican Ska from the 60s and Reggae from the 70s. My one prized Clash related possession is a Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros T-shirt. I almost never wear it, but when I do, I either get the double take, or someone comments on how cool it is. It has a boombox on the front with colors of the Jamaican flag. Anyways I love that poster.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
     My top two bands are The Clash and The Who.

First time I saw the Who, The Clash (and David JoHasBeen) opened for them, Shea Stadium 1982.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    By far my favorite band from the 80s still love them and anything Strummers wrote , never forget Clash on Bond st here in Manhattan & 3 show run on the Peir in 83 I believe or 82 i also drove to Dirty Jersey to see them in Asbury Park ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    Great band, for sure!

I saw The Clash on 6/23/82.  Joe Strummer was in quite a mood.  I don't know if it was all the requests for songs or something about the crowd that bugged him, but at one point he told us all to "fuck off" and then immediately ripped into the next song.  I've never seen that many people respond to being told to fuck off by massively cheering in return.  Regardless, that was one great show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I got to see the Clash 3 times......once at the Hollywood Palladium in 1982, once when they opened for The Who in 1982, and once in 1984 (?) after Mick was kicked-out of the band.
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited March 2018
    By far my favorite band from the 80s still love them and anything Strummers wrote , never forget Clash on Bond st here in Manhattan & 3 show run on the Peir in 83 I believe or 82 i also drove to Dirty Jersey to see them in Asbury Park ...
    I was at the 2 Bonds all ages shows, all 3 Pier shows, and that last of the 3 Asbury Park shows. I was lucky to see the Clash about 8 times with Mick (and even a few with Topper too), and then probably 4 times after Mick was kicked out.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I have seen more than 1,500 concerts so far (stopped counting at 1,500 but used to actually document each one), and the Clash remain the best overall live band ever.  Ever ever.  They're #3 instead of #1 on my top favorite concerts ever, but they are #3 and #1 as overall live band.

And Poncier I was at those Shea Stadium shows too!

josevolution, this pic is for you: 
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    And qontheboard and Poncier, this pic's for you (one of my most prized memorabelia from the Shea stadium shows) (the "C" is for Clash, since I got the pass from them) :

• Options
    The Clash absolutely changed my life as well. I got to tell Joe Strummer that once after a Boston Mescaleros show in '99, and we were all at a dive bar, and when I told him that he grabbed one of the long line of pints of Guinness and other drinks that fans and friends had bought for him and lined up next to him on the bar, gave me one, picked up another one, and said "Let's drink to that!"  Will never forget that.

This was my precious haul from my 2nd all ages Bonds show: Clash on Broadway shirt signed by Mick, Topper and Joe; Paul's sig on a piece of paper; a Bonds backstage pass; guitar picks from ALL 3 guitar players (Mick, Paul and Joe)(not pictured I just realized), AND a set of Topper's Boppers drumsticks he used at that show, delivered to me while still onstage by Joe.  It was the beginning of a life-changing relationship to their music, their characters, and their brilliance. 

I was fortunate to attend Joe Strummer's funeral in London, and you'll all appreciate that his (at the time teenage) daughters put a "Question Authority" bumper sticker at the head of his casket that was never removed.  Love that man and still miss him awfully, he was truly a hero.

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    And qontheboard and Poncier, this pic's for you (one of my most prized memorabelia from the Shea stadium shows) (the "C" is for Clash, since I got the pass from them) :

Sweet.

That was quite a night for me, The Who was my favorite band at that time, and it was my first ever trip to NYC at 17 yrs old. 

• Options
    Sounds like all the ingredients for an EPIC night! How did it go for you?  What do you remember most?
  • Options
    I love hearing all of these Clash stories!

I once saw Joe at a restaurant in the late 80s......I sorta knew he was going to be there because the radio DJ by whom he was being interviewed that night usually went there after his show was over.  Yes, it borders on stalking!

My friend and I said hello to Joe, and he then came over to our table and sat with us for a few minutes.  He was goofing on me because he thought I looked like some 80s actor.

I got a photo with him that night, which I got signed several years later when he played a small gig at Tower Records on the Sunset Strip.

Though I didn't buy London Calling until it had been out a few months, I still remember going to my local indie record store on the first day of release to buy Sandinista, the Bankrobber EP and Combat Rock. 
  • Options
    That's awesome JOEJOEJOE, and how typically gracious and awesome of Joe to come join YOU at YOUR table, and tease you a bit, he was so astounding that way!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I was at the 2 Bonds all ages shows, all 3 Pier shows, and that last of the 3 Asbury Park shows. I was lucky to see the Clash about 8 times with Mick (and even a few with Topper too), and then probably 4 times after Mick was kicked out.

I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but I have seen more than 1,500 concerts so far (stopped counting at 1,500 but used to actually document each one), and the Clash remain the best overall live band ever.  Ever ever.  They're #3 instead of #1 on my top favorite concerts ever, but they are #3 and #1 as overall live band.

And Poncier I was at those Shea Stadium shows too!

josevolution, this pic is for you: 
    Hey thanks great poster if anybody wants to see what Joe was like when he was with The Clash try to get Rude boy and watch it’s awesome , I also flew out to the US festival but by then Topper was not behind the Kit and Joe really took it out on the replacement that night still a great performance....ah man I miss Strummers!!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    one of the few times being old f'n rawks!
    saw them april 1984. still have the ticket stub.
    $12.73+$1.27(fees) for a grand total of $14.00 !!
    i was a fan but nothing compared to the who fan that i was and still am today
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2018
    Love that poster!.... very nice... One of my prized possessions, 1983 Clash Shirt - I bought it at the '83 US Festival.. need to frame it. 

Good thing it was too tight when I bought it.. I threw it in a box and forgot about it.  never worn..

Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    Sounds like all the ingredients for an EPIC night! How did it go for you?  What do you remember most?

The strongest memory is the place going nuts during Love Reign O'er Me as there was a light rain/mist falling at the time.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
    Love that poster!.... very nice... One of my prized possessions, 1983 Clash Shirt - I bought it at the '83 US Festival.. need to frame it. 

Good thing it was too tight when I bought it.. I threw it in a box and forgot about it.  never worn..

I flew out to Cali with 9 of my friends for US festival in 83 camping on dirt field damn that was insane , did you camp & if you ever want to sell that shirt let me know I’d buy it ..
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JH6056 said:

The strongest memory is the place going nuts during Love Reign O'er Me as there was a light rain/mist falling at the time.
    I am DEVASTATED that I don't remember that!!  I may not have been watching the show at that time, but it sounds like one of those incredible moments you never forget!

Like I once saw a much-maligned band (Dave Matthews Band) at Giants Stadium, and one of their encores was "All Along the Watchtower", and a storm was moving in and when Dave Matthews sang "And the wind began to howl" the storm suddenly kicked up and it was insane, totally epic.  

But Love Reign O'er Me in a storm would..... yeah, I'd love to have lived through that even more!