Options

Did CNN turn satire?

unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,609
    This inspired you enough to start a whole thread on it?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    You have heard that most online news sites have a Health/Wellness/Life section, right? And back when they were print newspapers, they had the same thing. Even Fox does. Imagine that!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    unsung said:
    lol talk about nonsensical subject matter , c’mon man I like you better when your defending your gun rights ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Modern journalism.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Modern journalism.

Oh, you're funny.

How long have you been reading newspapers and magazines for?
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    edited March 2018
    There are only three trustworthy news sources: Fox News, Breitbart, and the Twitter account of Donald Trump.

(Perhaps I've turned satire)
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    When I lived in LA half of the news was about celebrity cats and the type of stuff that Veronica Corningstone was stuck reporting on prior to her big break at KVWN filling in for Ron.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:
    Modern journalism.
    Says the guy who gets his news from memes. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    dignin said:
    unsung said:
    Modern journalism.
    :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    dignin said:
    unsung said:
    Modern journalism.
    More reliable than CNN.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    dignin said:
    unsung said:
    Modern journalism.
    More reliable than CNN.
    Not with the average you’re batting 
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    We are all now dumber for clicking on this. Thanks unsung. You do have a purpose.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    We are all now dumber for clicking on this. Thanks unsung. You do have a purpose.
    Always good for a laugh.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Why would you think that topic is satire, even sarcastically?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,673
    OnWis97 said:
    There are only three trustworthy news sources: Fox News, Breitbart, and the Twitter account of Donald Trump.

You forgot to mention The Onion.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t.  I was being sarcastic.  In the world we live I am shocked that this is a story, much less a real thing.  
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t.  I was being sarcastic.  In the world we live I am shocked that this is a story, much less a real thing.  
    Yeah, I asked why you thought it was satire even if you meant it sarcastically. In other words, why the concept of satire even occur to you? And why are you shocked that it's a real thing or that it would be addressed in a lifestyle segment?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not in the least bit surprised.  Most media outlets seem to be gearing themselves in a kind of FaceBook-as-news fashion.  They publish nonsense or trivial issues that appeal. Even worse, they publish rubbish that distracts from important issues.  Distraction  and amusement, the order of the day.

amuse (v.) late 15c., "to divert the attention, beguile, delude," from Old French amuser "fool, tease, hoax, entrap; make fun of," literally "cause to muse" (as a distraction), from a "at, to" (from Latin ad, but here probably a causal prefix) + muser "ponder, stare fixedly".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not in the least bit surprised.  Most media outlets seem to be gearing themselves in a kind of FaceBook-as-news fashion.  They publish nonsense or trivial issues that appeal. Even worse, they publish rubbish that distracts from important issues.  Distraction  and amusement, the order of the day.

amuse (v.) late 15c., "to divert the attention, beguile, delude," from Old French amuser "fool, tease, hoax, entrap; make fun of," literally "cause to muse" (as a distraction), from a "at, to" (from Latin ad, but here probably a causal prefix) + muser "ponder, stare fixedly".

But this wasn't breaking news. As someone else said, the news covers a variety of topics, including lifestyle ones. This is not unusual, and I don't know what the problem is Brian. The news channels have always had lifestyle fluff pieces like this to give a break from all the horrible depressing shit. I don't think it's meant to distract anyone at all. On the contrary... I'm surprised they have left any room for this at all, given that they are so obsessed with Trump and all his bullshit. THAT is where they distract from real issues. Not with lifestyle piece about makeup.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    OnWis97 said:

Don't forget Infowars and Gateway Pundit, where Unsung gets a lot of his news.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But this wasn't breaking news. As someone else said, the news covers a variety of topics, including lifestyle ones. This is not unusual, and I don't know what the problem is Brian. The news channels have always had lifestyle fluff pieces like this to give a break from all the horrible depressing shit. I don't think it's meant to distract anyone at all. On the contrary... I'm surprised they have left any room for this at all, given that they are so obsessed with Trump and all his bullshit. THAT is where they distract from real issues. Not with lifestyle piece about makeup.
    In your life time maybe, young lady.  :smile:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Have you ever read a periodical from the 19th century? ;) 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I was watching batman v superman last night, and the news people were watching in the movie were actual CNN correspondents, like Anderson Cooper, Brooke Baldwin, etc. Does no one else think this blurs the lines between respected truths and entertainment? Should real journalists be playing themselves in a fictional medium?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    I was watching batman v superman last night, and the news people were watching in the movie were actual CNN correspondents, like Anderson Cooper, Brooke Baldwin, etc. Does no one else think this blurs the lines between respected truths and entertainment? Should real journalists be playing themselves in a fictional medium?
    As long as it is clear when something is a work of fiction, like a movie, then I don't see any harm.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Currently on Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03/15/annual-bigfoot-hunt-garners-big-attention-in-small-pennsylvania-town.html

Annual Bigfoot hunt garners big attention in small Pennsylvania town

File picture - Bigfoot Crossing sign iStock

File picture - 'Bigfoot Crossing' sign (iStock)  (JLFCapture)

The legendary creature known as Bigfoot could be in California, North Carolina or any number of places it's been reportedly sighted over the years. But the people of Wampum, Pa., which has a population of 717, are going out on a hunt on a St. Patrick's Day Sasquatch search.

The Wampum Chapter of the North Country Trail is hosting its annual St. Patrick's Sasquatch Search on Sunday, The Ellwood City Ledger reports. It's highly unlikely that any of the members will actually see a creature many believe to not be real, but that isn't stopping the hikers.

Start fresh with a matte, versatile new shade of Slate. Save $1397 on this 4-pc Black Slate suite thru 3/21 at Lowe’s.

The group, which has a Facebook page, says the hike will start at 1 p.m. on Sunday and let people hike "up the scenic hill where Bigfoot has been sighted in the recent past and back down."

VIDEO: IS IT... BIGFOOT? HARD-TO-MAKE-OUT FOOTAGE PURPORTING TO SHOW LEGENDARY GIANT IN CANADA FOREST GOES VIRAL

The chapter's marketing chairwoman, Tina Harkins, said last year residents almost saw Bigfoot. “They almost saw Bigfoot, but one of our members in a Bigfoot getup got his big feet stuck in the mud,” Harkins said, adding that over 100 people joined last year.

There are several options for the hike, including one trip is 2.8 miles round-trip, one option which is 5.2 miles and another which lasts 9.4 miles.

“To be sure everyone is safe on the hike, chapter members are in front, middle and end of the hike with walkie-talkies,” Harkins added.

Following the hike, all of the participants will meet at Wampum Train Station, will be privy to eating hot dogs, a pot luck dinner and share hiking stories with one another.

'BIGFOOT' REPORTEDLY SIGHTED IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, PICTURES GO VIRAL

Recent "sightings"

Bigfoot, which could be anything from a bear to a man in a suit to an actual creature not known to science, has fueled a number of claimed sightings in different parts of North America.

Last month, footage of a Canadian wilderness hike went viral with the filmmakers claiming they'd captured Bigfoot on camera.

Bigfoot, which may or may not have relatives (would they be 'Bigfeet' then?) was also reportedly spotted in Northern California in October 2017, according to Jeffrey Gonzalez, a self-described paranormal expert who heard about the sighting from a local farmer who said he saw the creature and five others running on his ranch near Avocado Lake.

“One of them, which was extremely tall, had a pig over its shoulder," Gonzalez said in comments obtained by Fox 26, a Fox News affiliate. "And the five scattered and the one with the pig was running so fast it didn’t see an irrigation pipe and it tripped, with the pig flying over."

Bigfoot was also reportedly spotted in a North Carolina forest two months prior, so he either is a very fast walker or has a good travel agent.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    Currently on Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/03/15/annual-bigfoot-hunt-garners-big-attention-in-small-pennsylvania-town.html

Annual Bigfoot hunt garners big attention in small Pennsylvania town

File picture - Bigfoot Crossing sign iStock

File picture - 'Bigfoot Crossing' sign (iStock)  (JLFCapture)

The legendary creature known as Bigfoot could be in California, North Carolina or any number of places it's been reportedly sighted over the years. But the people of Wampum, Pa., which has a population of 717, are going out on a hunt on a St. Patrick's Day Sasquatch search.

The Wampum Chapter of the North Country Trail is hosting its annual St. Patrick's Sasquatch Search on Sunday, The Ellwood City Ledger reports. It's highly unlikely that any of the members will actually see a creature many believe to not be real, but that isn't stopping the hikers.

Start fresh with a matte, versatile new shade of Slate. Save $1397 on this 4-pc Black Slate suite thru 3/21 at Lowe’s.

The group, which has a Facebook page, says the hike will start at 1 p.m. on Sunday and let people hike "up the scenic hill where Bigfoot has been sighted in the recent past and back down."

VIDEO: IS IT... BIGFOOT? HARD-TO-MAKE-OUT FOOTAGE PURPORTING TO SHOW LEGENDARY GIANT IN CANADA FOREST GOES VIRAL

The chapter's marketing chairwoman, Tina Harkins, said last year residents almost saw Bigfoot. “They almost saw Bigfoot, but one of our members in a Bigfoot getup got his big feet stuck in the mud,” Harkins said, adding that over 100 people joined last year.

There are several options for the hike, including one trip is 2.8 miles round-trip, one option which is 5.2 miles and another which lasts 9.4 miles.

“To be sure everyone is safe on the hike, chapter members are in front, middle and end of the hike with walkie-talkies,” Harkins added.

Following the hike, all of the participants will meet at Wampum Train Station, will be privy to eating hot dogs, a pot luck dinner and share hiking stories with one another.

'BIGFOOT' REPORTEDLY SIGHTED IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA, PICTURES GO VIRAL

Recent "sightings"

Bigfoot, which could be anything from a bear to a man in a suit to an actual creature not known to science, has fueled a number of claimed sightings in different parts of North America.

Last month, footage of a Canadian wilderness hike went viral with the filmmakers claiming they'd captured Bigfoot on camera.

Bigfoot, which may or may not have relatives (would they be 'Bigfeet' then?) was also reportedly spotted in Northern California in October 2017, according to Jeffrey Gonzalez, a self-described paranormal expert who heard about the sighting from a local farmer who said he saw the creature and five others running on his ranch near Avocado Lake.

“One of them, which was extremely tall, had a pig over its shoulder," Gonzalez said in comments obtained by Fox 26, a Fox News affiliate. "And the five scattered and the one with the pig was running so fast it didn’t see an irrigation pipe and it tripped, with the pig flying over."

Bigfoot was also reportedly spotted in a North Carolina forest two months prior, so he either is a very fast walker or has a good travel agent.

In its own way this is no worse than what FOX News airs in prime time every night.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Also currently on Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/03/15/spring-breakers-gone-wild-college-students-annual-rite-debauchery-continues-despite-towns-attempts-to-curb-it.html

Spring breakers gone wild: College students’ annual rite of debauchery continues despite towns’ attempts to curb it

Just when you thought spring break couldn’t get any weirder, this happened.

College students from across the country gathered this week in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to take swigs out of a half-naked female mannequin filled with liquor, with a spigot coming out of its crotch.

Spring Breakers party at Las Olas beach in Fort Lauderdale Florida

Coeds evidently couldn't get enough of the raunchy, booze filled mannequin.  (Repotajes El Molinon for FoxNews.com )

“'Grab the t**s! Grab the t**s!' people were yelling,” photographer Jorge Rodriguez told Fox News. Rodriguez, who was on the Las Olas beach all day snapping pics, said the bizarre behavior escalated as the day went on, including “lots of vodka drinking out of Gatorade bottles,”  twerking, public makeout sessions, and butt grabbing among the students on the sunny, but somewhat chilly 74-degree day.

Spring Breakers party at Las Olas beach in Fort Lauderdale Florida

A wild spring break has long been a tradition of lore for students across the country.  (Reportajes El Molinon for FoxNews.com)

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^
    Modern journalism.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Have you ever read a periodical from the 19th century? ;) 

Hey, e-e-e-e-asy does it there!  :lol: