Options

2018 Tour > Facing a Politics-heavy tour (ala 1996) all over again?

13»

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    PJ should hold Trump accountable with the same level of disspointment and anger that they held Obama accountable.  Obama did not improve our country with gun control, eliminate any wars, improve the racial tensions... In many ways no president can because that's not how the US government works. The fact that they pout when they don't get their way is juvenile and Trump laughs as everyone overreacts to his methods. Vote for Change was fine because it was billed as a political rally. Yes some personal opinions from any artist will enter a performance, but I am hopeful they let their music do the talking. Write good songs that capture what they want to say. They always encourage people to vote, and half the people don't seem to agree with them. For me they don't tour as often as before so I hope they come within a 5 hour drive of where I live because I'd love to see them perform the music that has resonated with me for so long. 
    Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill Congress passed.

Obama had no power to make racists in this country less racist.
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    PJ should hold Trump accountable with the same level of disspointment and anger that they held Obama accountable.  Obama did not improve our country with gun control, eliminate any wars, improve the racial tensions... In many ways no president can because that's not how the US government works. The fact that they pout when they don't get their way is juvenile and Trump laughs as everyone overreacts to his methods. Vote for Change was fine because it was billed as a political rally. Yes some personal opinions from any artist will enter a performance, but I am hopeful they let their music do the talking. Write good songs that capture what they want to say. They always encourage people to vote, and half the people don't seem to agree with them. For me they don't tour as often as before so I hope they come within a 5 hour drive of where I live because I'd love to see them perform the music that has resonated with me for so long. 

My point was the president can't control those things, but people will lash out at Trump but not Obama. Maybe I was too subtle. Should I just spell it out with 3rd grade lyrics? 
    And my point was that two of the three examples you gave were pretty weak. Is that clear enough?
    Obama had control on Congress and democrats chose not to address gun control. So make sure you are making you point to those in control.  If you want to get into a debate on what each side gets done, I'm fine with that. The overall point was the frustration should be consistent with a broken system with both parties, and they lose credibility by being activists but not holding everyone accountable IMO. I am not registered to either party and in fact have voted for both in elections. I lean a little right center but I loved Springsteen's Magic album which very clearly had a message but expressed it through stories in songs. They are artists and my hope is they let their music do the talking. 
    They are not obligated to align their frustrations with yours. Neither is anyone else.

Obama had control of congress for one cycle. The GOP had control for the remaining six years. Regardless, my point remains. Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill passed by congress at any point during his administration.

Again, you gave two examples that I thought were poor and I expressed that to you. If you want to disagree, that's fine.
    I gave a couple examples of topics of national debate followed by ... indicating that was just the beginning of potential topics. In the very next sentence I explained no president can greatly impact that alone. The fact that you chose to only highlight those points and not the tone of the statement is telling. And yes I do say 'IMO' and 'my hope' as I am expressing what I think. I think many people are frustrated with the US political system, and about half come at it from different points of view. Good, objective debate at all times can be healthy and we should hold all our leaders accountable.  
    Dude, you blamed Obama for not improving race relations in this country. You want to talk about things that are telling?
    What did Obama do during his eight years to improve race relations?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    RYME said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:
    JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

JimmyV said:
    jstu39 said:

My point was the president can't control those things, but people will lash out at Trump but not Obama. Maybe I was too subtle. Should I just spell it out with 3rd grade lyrics? 
    And my point was that two of the three examples you gave were pretty weak. Is that clear enough?
    Obama had control on Congress and democrats chose not to address gun control. So make sure you are making you point to those in control.  If you want to get into a debate on what each side gets done, I'm fine with that. The overall point was the frustration should be consistent with a broken system with both parties, and they lose credibility by being activists but not holding everyone accountable IMO. I am not registered to either party and in fact have voted for both in elections. I lean a little right center but I loved Springsteen's Magic album which very clearly had a message but expressed it through stories in songs. They are artists and my hope is they let their music do the talking. 
    They are not obligated to align their frustrations with yours. Neither is anyone else.

Obama had control of congress for one cycle. The GOP had control for the remaining six years. Regardless, my point remains. Obama would have almost certainly signed any gun control bill passed by congress at any point during his administration.

Again, you gave two examples that I thought were poor and I expressed that to you. If you want to disagree, that's fine.
    I gave a couple examples of topics of national debate followed by ... indicating that was just the beginning of potential topics. In the very next sentence I explained no president can greatly impact that alone. The fact that you chose to only highlight those points and not the tone of the statement is telling. And yes I do say 'IMO' and 'my hope' as I am expressing what I think. I think many people are frustrated with the US political system, and about half come at it from different points of view. Good, objective debate at all times can be healthy and we should hold all our leaders accountable.  
    Dude, you blamed Obama for not improving race relations in this country. You want to talk about things that are telling?
    What did Obama do during his eight years to improve race relations?
    What he did or didn't do isn't the point being debated. This was the quote:

"PJ should hold Trump accountable with the same level of disspointment and anger that they held Obama accountable.  Obama did not improve our country with gun control, eliminate any wars, improve the racial tensions..."

Trump has deliberately inflamed racial tensions in this country on multiple occasions including his campaign launch speech and his response to Charlottesville. Obama did no such thing, so calling for Pearl Jam or anyone else to equate his conduct with Trump's is laughable.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    RYME said:
    ryph raph said:
    Trump and those that still support him are shitty human beings.

I hope Ed rips them a new asshole every date of the tour.
    I was just called a shitty human being by someone from the tolerant & compassionate left.  Well, there aren't many conservatives around here but there are a few.
    Anyone right-of-center must be outcasted.
    Nice guy you are.  Stay classy!

After this clown act, I, with respect, advise you to stop looking for any tolerance and compassion towards the party of treason.

Y'all picked party over country. Not us.
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited March 2018
    Post deleted by Admin. Name calling is not ok. See the Posting Guidelines.
    Post edited by Sea on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    And this thread is why I do not want them to get overly political at concerts. It could quickly turn ugly. No more mosh pits to work out anger. Everyone is too easily triggered. Just want loud music man! Everyone stay human.and.civil. Just be a fan..
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    And this thread is why I do not want them to get overly political at concerts. It could quickly turn ugly. No more mosh pits to work out anger. Everyone is too easily triggered. Just want loud music man! Everyone stay human.and.civil. Just be a fan..
    The problem is that most people are "fans" because they share the same political views and morals that the band takes a stand for on a daily basis. I for one truly enjoy to see a pissed off Eddie, who is a person with an extremely loud voice and a person in position to be a voice for the voiceless taking a stand for what most of the "fans" would want the band to fight for. 
  • Options
    gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    ryph raph said:
    Still support this administration after all it has put this country thru after 1 year ?

Then you are truly a shitty person.

I calls them as I sees them.

Possibly poor upbringing.
    With all due respect, how has your life changed and what have you "been through" since Trump took office?  I didn't vote for Trump (Hillary either), but to sit here and act like your life and world is ruined because of Trump is crazy. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Ray J. T. said:
    The problem is that most people are "fans" because they share the same political views and morals that the band takes a stand for on a daily basis. I for one truly enjoy to see a pissed off Eddie, who is a person with an extremely loud voice and a person in position to be a voice for the voiceless taking a stand for what most of the "fans" would want the band to fight for. 
    I think most people are fans because they fell in love with the music, not the politics. There is plenty of room for people who disagree. But, if anyone is hoping this particular band will not be political in this particular political environment, they are going to be disappointed.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    JimmyV said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    I think most people are fans because they fell in love with the music, not the politics. There is plenty of room for people who disagree. But, if anyone is hoping this particular band will not be political in this particular political environment, they are going to be disappointed.
    Absolutely, but the truth of the matter is that their political views and stance is written all over the music. 
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    RYME said:
    ryph raph said:
    Trump and those that still support him are shitty human beings.

I hope Ed rips them a new asshole every date of the tour.
    I was just called a shitty human being by someone from the tolerant & compassionate left.  Well, there aren't many conservatives around here but there are a few.
    Anyone right-of-center must be outcasted.
    Nice guy you are.  Stay classy!

After this clown act, I, with respect, advise you to stop looking for any tolerance and compassion towards the party of treason.

Y'all picked party over country. Not us.
    Party?  There are a bunch of establishment Republicans that hate Trump.  There are a lot of so-called conservatives that call themselves never trumper's.  I don't think it had anything to do with party affiliation.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,923
    edited March 2018
    Name calling is not ok. Thread closed
    Posting Guidelines

1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

etc
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

Post edited by Sea on
This discussion has been closed.