Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    edited March 2018
    DewieCox said:
    Sounds like he’s trying to shit razor blades.
    Intentionally so... 

He’s making the artistic decision to “sound like he’s shitting razor blades” in CDM.  He clearly could have taken a completely diff approach if he wanted to. 

There are only a handful of singers on the planet that can vocally contort, glottal-slam, and outright exert bloodcurdling screams like EV and still actually sing or belt out lyrical singing.  Enjoy the trip while it last...

Post edited by bigbiggzy on
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    Enjoy the trip while it last...

Exactly!!!!!
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,674
    I think that’s on purpose. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    I like how ed sounds on it. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Even when his voice cracks?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It doesn’t bother me. I guess I just like the passion of the song. Certainly not a PJ classic for me or anything but I truly have been enjoying the hell out of listening to it. I’m excited to hear some more new material for sure. 
  • Options
    And live I really like how it sounds. The debut was rough but the 2nd and 3rd time they played it look kick ass even on shitty phone recordings. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    It doesn’t bother me. I guess I just like the passion of the song. Certainly not a PJ classic for me or anything but I truly have been enjoying the hell out of listening to it. I’m excited to hear some more new material for sure. 
    Well I don't like the song... BUT it doesn't convince me that I necessarily won't like the new album overall.... Despite my issues with Can't Deny Me vocally and lyrically and musically, I still have hope. The song still has something somewhat indefinable to me that suggests the album has some potential. Sucks to have to wait to find out!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Attaway77 said:
    Where is the punk rock sound in this song? I keep seeing this mentioned but I'm not hearing it. Sounds just like another mellow PJ rock song, which is fine, not complaining. What am I missing? Where is the punk rock sound? I love music and I listen to every variety of it, I just can't find where the punk rock comparison comes from....
    Tell us your definition of punk. Perhaps that is where the disconnect is. Punk started in garages. A stripped down response to overproduction and over-instrumentation. I think the punk comparison is that this is a pretty stripped down, raw song. Some people thought it must be a demo, or rough outtake. So there are certainly punk elements in terms of style. But if your definition of punk is different, and has other or additional requirements, then it may not be punk in the way you define it.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    it doesn't sound like punk in the same vein as the sex pistols or even early indie green day. but it does sound like it to me in the simple fact that it's quickly in, quickly out, low(er) production polish, as jeff said, no solo, and the lyrics. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    For kicks I just looked up Punk Rock on Wikipedia (I know, not necessarily authoritative, but at least is based on consensus). Here's their description:
    Punk rock (or "punk") is a rock music genre that developed in the mid-1970s in the United States, United Kingdom, and Australia. Rooted in 1960s garage rock and other forms of what is now known as "proto-punk" music, punk rock bands rejected perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. Punk bands typically produced short or fast-paced songs, with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produce recordings and distribute them through independent record labels and other informal channels.

The bolded part sounds like a fair description of Can't Deny Me to me. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    Attaway77 said:
    Where is the punk rock sound in this song? I keep seeing this mentioned but I'm not hearing it. Sounds just like another mellow PJ rock song, which is fine, not complaining. What am I missing? Where is the punk rock sound? I love music and I listen to every variety of it, I just can't find where the punk rock comparison comes from....
    Tell us your definition of punk. Perhaps that is where the disconnect is. Punk started in garages. A stripped down response to overproduction and over-instrumentation. I think the punk comparison is that this is a pretty stripped down, raw song. Some people thought it must be a demo, or rough outtake. So there are certainly punk elements in terms of style. But if your definition of punk is different, and has other or additional requirements, then it may not be punk in the way you define it.

This. 
  • Options
    Is any other band picked apart more than Pearl Jam?
  • Options
    Is any other band picked apart more than Pearl Jam?
    Yes.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138
    Is there a high def version of this song available? I think the fidelity sounds awful as an mp3, but I would love to hear it in a better digital version.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don’t think it sounds raw, it just sounds half assed, rushed, and ill conceived. 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    DewieCox said:
    I don’t think it sounds raw, it just sounds half assed, rushed, and ill conceived. 
    For what it’s worth I like the song but it’s taken me awhile to ‘get there’, but one word that came to mind was ‘rushed’. I wondered with current political climate and the impending tour the band said ‘stuff it’ Lets release it. I wonder if it may get re-recorded...? Doubt it though. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Would people not complain if they knew this was the holiday annual single? I like it
  • Options
    Would people not complain if they knew this was the holiday annual single? I like it
    People were complaining when it looked like this was just the holiday single, but once they found out it would also be on the album I think it was more troubling to them, lol... Not to mention the issue of their first single also being the holiday single. ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    People were complaining when it looked like this was just the holiday single, but once they found out it would also be on the album I think it was more troubling to them, lol... Not to mention the issue of their first single also being the holiday single. ;)
    I don’t think that’s been confirmed but I hope they don’t double dip
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t think that’s been confirmed but I hope they don’t double dip
    Yeah, it has been confirmed by 10C. One of the mods (I think Sea? Maybe Santos) said it was true. Or actually, they confirmed it was indeed the annual single, and then they made an official announcement about it being the first single from their upcoming album.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    Yeah, I’ve been back and forth about killing myself since I found out it was on the album.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    Yeah, I’ve been back and forth about killing myself since I found out it was on the album.
    I laughed hard at this, but it made me feel uncomfortable at the same time. :worried:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    edited March 2018
    I think the song has it's charms but doesn't come across as a major piece of work. I interpret the lyrics to be about the youth protest movement and the song's power comes from how timely it is. BUT I am SHOCKED at how rough Ed's vocals are. His voice has been cracking and giving out live for a while now, but it's never been like that on studio work. I mean, it's not just a little rough, it's full-on shot. It's a bold move and it has some emotional charge to it but it's also just really rough. Ultimately Ed is a creative guy and you could hand him a broken guitar and he's find a way to make something cool. He will find a way to make his changing voice work. I'm very interested in hearing more. 
    Post edited by TheGhost on
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 574
    TheGhost said:
    BUT I am SHOCKED at how rough Ed's vocals are. His voice has been cracking and giving out live for a while now, but it's never been like that on studio work. I mean, it's not just a little rough, it's full-on shot. It's a bold move and it has some emotional charge to it but it's also just really rough. 
    I agree with your observations, overall, especially about its pertinence to the current protest movements, tho I find the vocal take to be in harmony with the message/topic. His vocal approach is very different on the live versions and it seems to me that the studio take is an artistic choice. For me, it matches the frustration many have (I have) towards the inaction/injustice on issues like gun control/women’s rights/climate change/racial equality/immigration/refugee crises/income inequality/homelessness etc.
    There’s stress, frustration, and a ‘breaking’ point expressed in his voice that I find compelling and in sync with the message of the song. 
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    TheGhost said:
    BUT I am SHOCKED at how rough Ed's vocals are. His voice has been cracking and giving out live for a while now, but it's never been like that on studio work. I mean, it's not just a little rough, it's full-on shot. It's a bold move and it has some emotional charge to it but it's also just really rough. 
    I agree with your observations, overall, especially about its pertinence to the current protest movements, tho I find the vocal take to be in harmony with the message/topic. His vocal approach is very different on the live versions and it seems to me that the studio take is an artistic choice. For me, it matches the frustration many have (I have) towards the inaction/injustice on issues like gun control/women’s rights/climate change/racial equality/immigration/refugee crises/income inequality/homelessness etc.
    There’s stress, frustration, and a ‘breaking’ point expressed in his voice that I find compelling and in sync with the message of the song. 
    I think you're right but it's a bold choice to put out such a squeeker
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 574
    edited March 2018
    TheGhost said: I think you're right but it's a bold choice to put out such a squeeker
    For sure. They had to know the song wasn’t going to appeal to everyone for multiple reasons and maybe they just don’t care. I hope it means they take some more risky and selfish, in a sense, choices on the new material. 
  • Options
    GrimblissGrimbliss Posts: 32
    TheGhost said:
    I think the song has it's charms but doesn't come across as a major piece of work. I interpret the lyrics to be about the youth protest movement and the song's power comes from how timely it is. BUT I am SHOCKED at how rough Ed's vocals are. His voice has been cracking and giving out live for a while now, but it's never been like that on studio work. I mean, it's not just a little rough, it's full-on shot. It's a bold move and it has some emotional charge to it but it's also just really rough. Ultimately Ed is a creative guy and you could hand him a broken guitar and he's find a way to make something cool. He will find a way to make his changing voice work. I'm very interested in hearing more. 

Well, let's be honest.... Ed's voice has been on a steady decline since probably around 2000. His voice was amazing in the '90s, but the shear amount of shows they've played and his lifestyle choices (don't smoke, kids) have simply taken their toll. 

At some point during the early '00s he found a way to work around the fact that he couldn't actually "belt out" his vocals the way he once did. He completely changed his singing style. He no longer sang "out" of his throat, using his diaphragm, but instead started pinching his vocal notes off, and sang them in the back of his head - using basically an aggressive falsetto (which is how Chris Cornell made a living). This is why it's very easy to discern the difference between an early PJ bootleg, and a later one. As a singer myself, what I just said makes some sense to me, but by no means are these official terms when it comes to singing, so excuse me if I haven't used the correct verbiage. 

Another thing you've probably noticed is the way in which he pronounces many words these days. He tends to add some unusual vocal inflections to otherwise ordinary words, which he never did before. But this is all part of a process to be able to hit notes, in what is essentially a relearned way of singing for him.

For a very obvious example of everything I'm talking about, listen to their Unplugged set, and then listen to anything from the last 15 years. 

Now, I will say this: Eddie used his fucking unbelievable voice for as long as he could, and we should all be grateful, but that voice was not one that had "longevity" written on it. Lots of people like to talk about how amazing the aforementioned Chris Cornell's voice was, but the truth is, it is much easier to sing the way Cornell did, over decades, than it is to sing the way Eddie did. Not to take anything away from CC, a legend, but those of you who sing probably know what I'm talking about. 

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    Grimbliss said:
    TheGhost said:

Well, let's be honest.... Ed's voice has been on a steady decline since probably around 2000. His voice was amazing in the '90s, but the shear amount of shows they've played and his lifestyle choices (don't smoke, kids) have simply taken their toll. 

At some point during the early '00s he found a way to work around the fact that he couldn't actually "belt out" his vocals the way he once did. He completely changed his singing style. He no longer sang "out" of his throat, using his diaphragm, but instead started pinching his vocal notes off, and sang them in the back of his head - using basically an aggressive falsetto (which is how Chris Cornell made a living). This is why it's very easy to discern the difference between an early PJ bootleg, and a later one. As a singer myself, what I just said makes some sense to me, but by no means are these official terms when it comes to singing, so excuse me if I haven't used the correct verbiage. 

Another thing you've probably noticed is the way in which he pronounces many words these days. He tends to add some unusual vocal inflections to otherwise ordinary words, which he never did before. But this is all part of a process to be able to hit notes, in what is essentially a relearned way of singing for him.

For a very obvious example of everything I'm talking about, listen to their Unplugged set, and then listen to anything from the last 15 years. 

Now, I will say this: Eddie used his fucking unbelievable voice for as long as he could, and we should all be grateful, but that voice was not one that had "longevity" written on it. Lots of people like to talk about how amazing the aforementioned Chris Cornell's voice was, but the truth is, it is much easier to sing the way Cornell did, over decades, than it is to sing the way Eddie did. Not to take anything away from CC, a legend, but those of you who sing probably know what I'm talking about. 

Good post.  I definitely listen to a lot of bootlegs now and am always scratching my head at his annunciation of certain words.  I’ve always figured it was so he could sing it easier though so it makes sense
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    Well said ^^
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -