CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Watched the live version and man I can’t wait to see it live!  It seemed a little rough as it’s the first live performance but it seems like it could absolutely kick ass live. Can’t deny me!!
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    U know what i like about this song?  There’s a loose feeling in it at times.  Maybe im not describing it right but i like that.  
    U know what i like about this song?  There’s a loose feeling in it at times.  Maybe im not describing it right but i like that.  
    Yes. That’s a perfect way to describe it. I like it. A lot. Much better than a Future Days type song. 
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Yes. That’s a perfect way to describe it. I like it. A lot. Much better than a Future Days type song. 
    for sure!!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I’m not 100% sold on the song quite yet, but I haven’t been able to get it out of my head for days now! So I guess that’s a good sign.

I also really liked what Eddie did with his voice in the live version, like he wasn’t trying quite as hard or something so it didn’t sound so strained. And the cowbell chair brings it to a whole new level of awesome, something about that made me want to start head banging in my living room. 
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    The verse is ok, but the chorus sounds like they had no idea on where it should go. Also the transition does not sound natural.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    I love jeffs bass in this
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I don't think I've ever seen a Pearl Jam song trashed this hard on YouTube. This is definitely a hardcore-fan-only track and even I think it sucks. 
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    This was an OK track for an annual single..
    but to include it in the new album too, and even make it the first single off it? Sometimes I think this band likes to sabotage itself. Or they simply know their fans will eat everything. I'm one of them, I admit it, already know this song by heart, learned the lyrics and played it on guitar. But let's be honest for a second: how many of you people would have given this song a second listen if this wasn't PJ? I know I wouldn't. But it's PJ and I MUST like it. We all have a problem.
    Right now I'm hoping the rest of the upcoming album is really good, and that I will not be forced (by myself) to like it just because it's PJ.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited March 2018
    I have no idea why so many people don't like it... I love it

To me it's a fresh sound for the band, and after the last 2 formulaic albums we needed something new... 

Post edited by my2hands on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    bigbiggzy said:
    Shyner said:
    Producers suck
    Every pj album should say pearl jam produced it
    Its like me saying i wrote the even flow solo
    well, actually, it's not like that at all.

producers are like project managers. but some producers go so far as to consider themselves part of the band. I've heard BoB say "we" and "our album" way too many times over the years. Bugs me. 
    The band has made comments before stating that he’s essentially the 6th member (7th if you count Boom) of the band. Said as much at PJ20 if I’m recalling correctly. 

I dig BO’B, but certainly appreciate the records where the used a diff prod. Vary it up a bit.
    never heard that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrk2 said:
    The verse is ok, but the chorus sounds like they had no idea on where it should go. Also the transition does not sound natural.
    agreed. kinda like of the earth. the chorus is weak and transition is off. But I still dig it for the most part. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• jtr101jtr101 Posts: 258
    That is not a difficult task.
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    The chorus throws me a bit but the rest of it has grown on me. Think this will be a pretty awesome song live once all the kinks are worked out.
    NYPJ
  • jtr101jtr101 Posts: 258
    mrk2 said:
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts on the song.
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• I wonder when the album news will start coming in, i'm needing it very badly lol. I also wonder if they put out the single a little sooner to correlate with the marches going on this month. I believe I heard they recorded it last month. Have they ever put something out that fast?
    looking to hear of the earth
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:

To me it's a fresh sound for the band, and after the last 2 formulaic albums we needed something new... 

It's just not a good song.  I have five friends that have been following the band since 92 and have been to around 50 shows and not one of them like this song.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

It's just not a good song.  I have five friends that have been following the band since 92 and have been to around 50 shows and not one of them like this song.  
     it’s the classic response to PJ.  You have people saying it’s great and they love it because they feel like they have to as PJ fans, others who actually DO like it, and others who don’t.  Like someone else said, if this was a song by a different artist/band, I don’t think I would listen to it.  I try to imagine it on another band’s album and it’s an easy skip for me on their cd.  I have no problem admitting I don’t like it at all and that I’m a bit bummed it’s going to be a track on the upcoming album because I’d rather that slot be saved for a better song!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

it’s the classic response to PJ.  You have people saying it’s great and they love it because they feel like they have to as PJ fans, others who actually DO like it, and others who don’t.  Like someone else said, if this was a song by a different artist/band, I don’t think I would listen to it.  I try to imagine it on another band’s album and it’s an easy skip for me on their cd.  I have no problem admitting I don’t like it at all and that I’m a bit bummed it’s going to be a track on the upcoming album because I’d rather that slot be saved for a better song!
    this is something I often do to keep myself honest....I ask myself.....if this was a new band, would this song/album grab me?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

I am one that does like the song, right from the first time  I heard it. I have no problem that people don't like it. Don't think people should like it just because it is a new PJ song. They have  songs I don't care for. Light Years, Comatose, Future Days right off the top of my head. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I remember the Week in Rock doing a segment in central park or something getting reactions to No Code.  Wasnt too positive lol.  I love this song as a Xmas single.  For an album i do hope its the weak link.  Im not going to trash it because I generally dont like the garage punk rockers anyway by PJ.   I like the weird tunes, the arena tunes, and the pop/ballad ones.  
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    I like the song, sounds great driving in the car played loud. I’m not sure if this is the annual single or from a new record. Pj keeps flip flopping on their communication. Do they not know? Kinda odd they don’t since I’m sure they pay a marketing team to come up with a plan on how they release stuff and one email says annual single, the next days from forthcoming album, then Sea says it’s the annual single. What’s the deal, shouldn’t be that hard. I think this song works better as the annual single. Thoughts?
  • I like the song, sounds great driving in the car played loud. I’m not sure if this is the annual single or from a new record. Pj keeps flip flopping on their communication. Do they not know? Kinda odd they don’t since I’m sure they pay a marketing team to come up with a plan on how they release stuff and one email says annual single, the next days from forthcoming album, then Sea says it’s the annual single. What’s the deal, shouldn’t be that hard. I think this song works better as the annual single. Thoughts?
    Didn't realize that Sea confirmed it's the annual single. Does that mean an album is not close to being released?
    looking to hear of the earth
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    They don't have the greatest track record since at least 2006 when choosing their first single on an album.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JimmyV said:
    They don't have the greatest track record since at least 2006 when choosing their first single on an album.
    was that wws?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I feel like I like the song a lot. But there's part of me that wonders if I'm making myself like it....if that makes sense. One thing I am sure of - in seeing the youtube of it live from Chile the other night, I thought the live version was awful. It felt clumsy and forced. I don't know.

Regardless, I'm jacked for a new album. Liking one song or not has no bearing on me wanting an album with another 9-11 songs.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    was that wws?  
    WWS, Got Some/The Fixer, Lightning Bolt...none of these are the best songs on their album IMO.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    I like the song, sounds great driving in the car played loud. I’m not sure if this is the annual single or from a new record. Pj keeps flip flopping on their communication. Do they not know? Kinda odd they don’t since I’m sure they pay a marketing team to come up with a plan on how they release stuff and one email says annual single, the next days from forthcoming album, then Sea says it’s the annual single. What’s the deal, shouldn’t be that hard. I think this song works better as the annual single. Thoughts?
    Didn't realize that Sea confirmed it's the annual single. Does that mean an album is not close to being released?
    Sea confirmed way back on an earlier page that it is indeed the annual single. the email confirmed it is from the forthcoming album. so it's both. no info on release date for album or the annual vinyl or b-side of the single. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    was that wws?  
    WWS, Got Some/The Fixer, Lightning Bolt...none of these are the best songs on their album IMO.
    MYM was the first single was it not? Also Lightning Bolt could very well be the best song on their last album for some. That song has really grown on me live even though I think they play that and MYM way too often still.
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

I liked it right away.  Not just because its PJ.  There are plenty of songs I don't care for...I don't think I've purposely listened to Jeremy in 20 years :smirk: .  To me its right in my wheelhouse.  Raw, punky, different.  I love songs like this.  And also Of The Earth (probably my favorite song in YEARS.  I hope for more experimental stuff along with some garage type rock stuff on new album.  I don't care for the Future Days, Betterman, Sirens, type PJ songs much at all.  Can't Deny Me has been stuck in my head since the first listen.  I don't need another 90's PJ album.  I like the way they have progressed and keep making what THEY want.  Some really great songs have come out of it (MYM, Pendulum, Got Some, Getaway, etc)
    Post edited by Abe Froman on