Options

A Change in the Political Landscape

Hearing the younger people speak and their ideals had me thinking that the current leaders aren't listening or just don't get it.

This article on Diane Feinstein shows how the younger generation feels.

https://www.thenation.com/article/dianne-feinstein-isnt-too-old-but-she-is-too-out-of-touch/

I've mentioned before that I think that some of the current leaders are so far off from what people want now that there is going to be a huge political shift.

I see why they love Bernie Sanders and disliked Hillary.

Even coaching in sports are getting younger to appeal to the players.

The old guard is hanging on with a thread.

Thoughts?  Articles?

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    They also loved Trump enough to elect him president. They then all adopted his golf course style and murdered someone in a college town. Anybody see the MAGA hat on Nikolas Cruz's Instagram?  

It's only going to get worse.

Here's an article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html

It's based on a study by a Harvard lecturer in government and a political scientist at the University of Melbourne, but what do they know? 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    dankind said:
    They also loved Trump enough to elect him president. They then all adopted his golf course style and murdered someone in a college town. Anybody see the MAGA hat on Nikolas Cruz's Instagram?  

Here's an article: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/world/americas/western-liberal-democracy.html

It's based on a study by a Harvard lecturer in government and a political scientist at the University of Melbourne, but what do they know? 
    It’s good to have your passport and one suitcase ready at all times , the orange bafoon is learning all he can from
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    Putin..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    These things are cyclical. The younger generation always sees the faults of the generations before it, rises to power, becomes blind to its own faults and then is replaced by the next generation.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    JimmyV said:
    These things are cyclical. The younger generation always sees the faults of the generations before it, rises to power, becomes blind to its own faults and then is replaced by the next generation.
    I view what is going on now as what happened in the 60's.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I view it more like what happened in the 1930s -- in Germany.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I do as well. Nixon was of course far more competent than Trump, which is what makes today seem so much worse.

• Options
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Wait, so the younger democrats ousting people like Hillary and Finestein are like the 30's in Germany?  Please explain @dankind
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I do as well. Nixon was of course far more competent than Trump, which is what makes today seem so much worse.
    People were wanting someone different, well they got one.

The democrats will have to organize and listen to their fanbase a little more close rather than try and ram a candidate down everyone's throat.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I think there is a youth movement both in a liberal sense and a libertarian sense. It’s not shows offen in the media but there are huge basis of college aged conservatives as well as liberals. People like Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder are packing college auditoriums. 
    I think it’s awesome, young people being involved in current events regardless of view point 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    JimmyV said:
    Wait, so the younger democrats ousting people like Hillary and Finestein are like the 30's in Germany?  Please explain @dankind
    I don't need to explain. The study by those far smarter than I from Harvard University and University of Melbourne does a far better job than I would do. Take a look. Chilling stuff.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    I think there is a youth movement both in a liberal sense and a libertarian sense. It’s not shows offen in the media but there are huge basis of college aged conservatives as well as liberals. People like Ben Shapiro and Steven Crowder are packing college auditoriums. 
    I think it’s awesome, young people being involved in current events regardless of view point 
    Yeah. They sure did have a ball down in Charlottesville.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    To be fair to today's youth, their only real experience has been with a government that in many ways has ceased to function and with an electoral system that utterly failed in 2016. So I can understand questioning whether this particular democratic republic is the best system possible.

• Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    JimmyV said:
    To be fair to today's youth, their only real experience has been with a government that in many ways has ceased to function and with an electoral system that utterly failed in 2016. So I can understand questioning whether this particular democratic republic is the best system possible.
    JimmyV said:
    I’m not a trump supporter, but I don’t see how the electoral system failed? It worked in the way that it always does. 
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I’m not a trump supporter, but I don’t see how the electoral system failed? It worked in the way that it always does. 
    One party nominated a shockingly unqualified businessman while the other party nominated an unpopular career politician who was the subject of a known and active FBI investigation. The election itself saw the clear winner of the popular vote get wiped out in the Electoral College. Maybe the system itself worked, but very few involved can honestly claim they didn't screw it up.

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    riley540 said:
    Latest Suffolk poll has 22% of millenials ID as conservative. New generation is quite liberal
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,595
    JimmyV said:
    riley540 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    One party nominated a shockingly unqualified businessman while the other party nominated an unpopular career politician who was the subject of a known and active FBI investigation. The election itself saw the clear winner of the popular vote get wiped out in the Electoral College. Maybe the system itself worked, but very few involved can honestly claim they didn't screw it up.
    And one candidate got an assist from Russia.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    riley540 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    And one candidate got an assist from Russia.
    Not the point I was making but, sure.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Hearing the younger people speak and their ideals had me thinking that the current leaders aren't listening or just don't get it.

https://www.thenation.com/article/dianne-feinstein-isnt-too-old-but-she-is-too-out-of-touch/

I've mentioned before that I think that some of the current leaders are so far off from what people want now that there is going to be a huge political shift.

Thoughts?  Articles?
    Jello had Feinstein figured out almost 40 years ago.  Go to 2:00 in the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJy_pT78fTU

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind said:

I read the article. 

It's basically saying that all the free world and it's democracies are declining and that people actually want a military run system of ruling.

That is just crazy.

Most of the people that are fleeing their war torn countries want that?

Most of the people that live here want to live in a police state?

Again, that is just crazy!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Thoughts?  Articles?
    Jello had Feinstein figured out almost 40 years ago.  Go to 2:00 in the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJy_pT78fTU

I used to love Biafra but he decided to just point out problems and not offer solutions.  He is still a person that I'd like to chat with for a few hours.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    dankind said:

I read the article. 

It's basically saying that all the free world and it's democracies are declining and that people actually want a military run system of ruling.

That is just crazy.

The article/study isn’t saying that; the people themselves are saying that. I agree with you that it’s crazy. It’s also a very plausible future. Autocratic and nationalist politicians are gaining popularity in democratic nations. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I read the article. 

That is just crazy.

The article/study isn’t saying that; the people themselves are saying that. I agree with you that it’s crazy. It’s also a very plausible future. Autocratic and nationalist politicians are gaining popularity in democratic nations. 
    Have you ever watched "the decline of western civilization"?!?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

New Survey Shows Young People Are Staying Liberal and Conservatives Are Dying Off

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/new-survey-young-staying-liberal-conservatives-dying-off.html
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    dignin said:

New Survey Shows Young People Are Staying Liberal and Conservatives Are Dying Off

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/new-survey-young-staying-liberal-conservatives-dying-off.html
    That's pretty much what my baby boomer generation was saying in the 60's.  We were going to change the world!  We were going to end war and stop being greedy and end racism and "give peace a chance", etc. etc. 

But then we (the generation, not me) got married and had kids and bought houses and started careers, etc., and so, so much of all that idealism went by the way side.  And yeah, sure, to some degree that is understandable but in my opinion, not totally without due criticism.  I personally stand by my belief that my generation dropped the ball.  We had the momentum and didn't keep it going.  And I'm not saying we should have just been knee jerk liberals or reject any and everything conservative, but because so many boomers essentially fell asleep on political and social issues or simply voted party line and stopped analyzing, thinking critically and taking a stand, we let the door swing wide open to the neo-conservative backlash that eventually led to the election of a man so unworthy of the office of president as to literally make a joke of that office (yeah, sorry guys, it wasn't just the Russians fault.  Guess who didn't show up at the voting booths?).

So as much as I often feel hopeful in seeing the youth of today speaking up and taking a stand, I can't help but wonder if they too will drop the ball?  Time will well.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    JimmyV said:
    riley540 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Jimmy, you may like this book. I’m not through more than 30% of it, but the focus right now is on how most democracies do have some form of proportional representation to get from multi-million citizenry to tens of hundreds of elected government officials. The book posits that the danger to democracy in the Western world, is that the former gatekeeping functions of political parties have been diminished or abused for unsustainable partisan gain, leaving the potential for autocrats or profit-driven politicians as the norm. All really fascinating stuff and I’d highly recommend it, agree with it or not! 

https://books.google.ca/books/about/How_Democracies_Die.html?id=GmkwDwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

That's pretty much what my baby boomer generation was saying in the 60's.  We were going to change the world!  We were going to end war and stop being greedy and end racism and "give peace a chance", etc. etc. 

But then we (the generation, not me) got married and had kids and bought houses and started careers, etc., and so, so much of all that idealism went by the way side.  And yeah, sure, to some degree that is understandable but in my opinion, not totally without due criticism.  I personally stand by my belief that my generation dropped the ball.  We had the momentum and didn't keep it going.  And I'm not saying we should have just been knee jerk liberals or reject any and everything conservative, but because so many boomers essentially fell asleep on political and social issues or simply voted party line and stopped analyzing, thinking critically and taking a stand, we let the door swing wide open to the neo-conservative backlash that eventually led to the election of a man so unworthy of the office of president as to literally make a joke of that office (yeah, sorry guys, it wasn't just the Russians fault.  Guess who didn't show up at the voting booths?).

So as much as I often feel hopeful in seeing the youth of today speaking up and taking a stand, I can't help but wonder if they too will drop the ball?  Time will well.  
    Maybe it seemed like that, but for every kid at Woodstock there were many more that sneered at it. The 60s was the end of the liberal consensus and the beginning of the rise of conservatism.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    benjs said:
    JimmyV said:
    riley540 said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Jimmy, you may like this book. I’m not through more than 30% of it, but the focus right now is on how most democracies do have some form of proportional representation to get from multi-million citizenry to tens of hundreds of elected government officials. The book posits that the danger to democracy in the Western world, is that the former gatekeeping functions of political parties have been diminished or abused for unsustainable partisan gain, leaving the potential for autocrats or profit-driven politicians as the norm. All really fascinating stuff and I’d highly recommend it, agree with it or not! 

https://books.google.ca/books/about/How_Democracies_Die.html?id=GmkwDwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Thanks, man. I'll check it out.