Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    And about bloody time we joined the 21st century
    just as the US tries to rejoin the 20th. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    And about bloody time we joined the 21st century
    just as the US tries to rejoin the 20th. 
    Like I said earlier.....

Ireland moving forward
    U.S. moving backwards

• No.

No it's not. His license should be revoked.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Keep it....

Legal
    Safe
    Affordable
    Available on demand
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

No.

I saw this on the morning news about a week ago. I was surprised to hear but they said what he did was perfectly legal that in AR, and several other states, a pharmacist has the right to refuse a prescription if they have a moral objection. That person then has the right to go to a different pharmacy.
    I was shocked and think that law is dumb. 
  • mace1229 said:

No.

I saw this on the morning news about a week ago. I was surprised to hear but they said what he did was perfectly legal that in AR, and several other states, a pharmacist has the right to refuse a prescription if they have a moral objection. That person then has the right to go to a different pharmacy.
    Geezuz
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mace1229 said:

No.

I wonder what would happen if someone was denied a medication by a pharmacist on moral grounds, and then the person ended up suffering disability or death as a result of not getting it? Could the pharmacist and/or pharmacy be successfully sued? :pensive:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

I wonder what would happen if someone was denied a medication by a pharmacist on moral grounds, and then the person ended up suffering disability or death as a result of not getting it? Could the pharmacist and/or pharmacy be successfully sued? :pensive:
    If the law allows for it then it would be tough to prove negligence.

edited June 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

If the law allows for it then it would be tough to prove negligence.

I'm talking a civil suit though. Could be possible. If I were in that situation, I'd certainly try. I think I would have a decent case, especially if I were denied at multiple pharmacies. Civil suit, or just take it right up to the Supreme Court.... although now that would likely be pointless. :frowning:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    mace1229 said:

No.

I think I also saw that he's supposed to get another pharmacist if there is one on site.  There were two but he did not do it.

This is going to continue under the guise of "religious liberty."  The SCOTUS is going to be tilted this way until everyone on this board is dead.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

I think I also saw that he's supposed to get another pharmacist if there is one on site.  There were two but he did not do it.

This is going to continue under the guise of "religious liberty."  The SCOTUS is going to be tilted this way until everyone on this board is dead.
    If that's true, then she really should sue.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    One great way to reduce the number of abortions is to make birth control and education plentiful and affordable.  But a sizeable number of pro-birth folks also want to send the message that we should never have sex unless we specifically want to create life.  And they also seem to think that's a realistic outcome (even though they tend to be found fornicating with random people in random places).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    edited June 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    One great way to reduce the number of abortions is to make birth control and education plentiful and affordable.  But a sizeable number of pro-birth folks also want to send the message that we should never have sex unless we specifically want to create life.  And they also seem to think that's a realistic outcome (even though they tend to be found fornicating with random people in random places).
    I imagine pro-lifers access abortions too, if it serves their purposes.. I.e. the righteous pro-life parents of a teenaged girl who gets knocked up, which of course will shame the family ... Quick, get in the car Sally, we're taking you to the doctor.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I imagine pro-lifers access abortions too, if it serves their purposes.. I.e. the righteous pro-life parents of a teenaged girl who gets knocked up, which of course will shame the family ... Quick, get in the car Sally, we're taking you to the doctor.
    Sally? She's been giving that stuff out to all them graffiti guys.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I say keep it legal, how are those pro-life politicians going to get rid of those "babies" with their mistress.

but in all seriousness, abortion should be completely legal and easily accessible to everyone.   
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

They just go somewhere else to fill it. It’s not like one pharmacy denies it and they bam anyone else from doing it. Would just be an inconvenience. An unnecessary one I agree. 

PJ_Soul said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I imagine that does happen. But I’m guessing more common to keep it quiet, get a shotgun wedding fast or fake story is more common. I unfortunately know people and families who have done that, claimed rape when it wasn’t, kept it a secret or arranged a marriage fast then tell everyone it was a honeymoon baby that came 5 weeks early.
    And there’s also lots of people who fit that stereotype but embrace the pregnancy and do everything they can to help their daughter. I’ve seen all of them, even those who’ve admitted having an abortion later.
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

They just go somewhere else to fill it. It’s not like one pharmacy denies it and they bam anyone else from doing it. Would just be an inconvenience. An unnecessary one I agree. 
    And depending on the woman, how freaked she is, or nervous or whatever, especially if we're talking about very young women, one denial (and brow beating) from her local pharmacist could be enough to make her scared to try again. I think it's disgusting that it's legal for a pharmacist to deny any customer any item that's legal to sell to them. I think it is SO dangerous to allow pharmacists to apply their personal morals in their jobs at all.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

And depending on the woman, how freaked she is, or nervous or whatever, especially if we're talking about very young women, one denial (and brow beating) from her local pharmacist could be enough to make her scared to try again. I think it's disgusting that it's legal for a pharmacist to deny any customer any item that's legal to sell to them. I think it is SO dangerous to allow pharmacists to apply their personal morals in their jobs at all.
    +1. The pharmacists job is to properly dispense the medications. They should have very little to say in terms of patient care, unless they see some obvious contraindication of the new script with something the patient is already taking. Otherwise, shut up and fill the request. The only time I'm looking for help from the pharmacist is to figure out the cheapest option for my meds. I certainly don't need any sort of lectures about morality from someone whose life is guided by their belief in mythology. And if that is the case, why are they in a science-based career? Go write a life coaching book if you want to tell people how they should live their lives. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

+1. The pharmacists job is to properly dispense the medications. They should have very little to say in terms of patient care, unless they see some obvious contraindication of the new script with something the patient is already taking. Otherwise, shut up and fill the request. The only time I'm looking for help from the pharmacist is to figure out the cheapest option for my meds. I certainly don't need any sort of lectures about morality from someone whose life is guided by their belief in mythology. And if that is the case, why are they in a science-based career? Go write a life coaching book if you want to tell people how they should live their lives. 
    I've asked this same thing of my brother (born again baptist/bio chemical engineer). his take, one that I've heard here and elsewhere, is that science and religion are not mutually exclusive. 

imagine if cops were allowed to not provide their service based on morality. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Women's medical rights = bad
    Assault rifles = good
    Classy black president = bad
    Repugnant orange president = good

Red State America 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

No.

I've asked this same thing of my brother (born again baptist/bio chemical engineer). his take, one that I've heard here and elsewhere, is that science and religion are not mutually exclusive. 

imagine if cops were allowed to not provide their service based on morality. 
    Or firefighters....
    Safe 
    Legal
    Inexpensive
    Available on demand

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    We must have our choice!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Safe
    Legal
    Affordable 
    Available on demand

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    my2hands said:
    Women's medical rights = bad
    Assault rifles = good
    Classy black president = bad
    Repugnant orange president = good

Red State America