Options

Americans and Canadians

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yum!  Those are good chips.
    They are basically like a smokeless BBQ flavor, and they are bloody brilliant.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    other notable good chips are Roast chicken, smokey bacon, and sour cream N bacon.   Not sure if jalapeno Cheetos are available south side but they are the best.  
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami said:
    other notable good chips are Roast chicken, smokey bacon, and sour cream N bacon.   Not sure if jalapeno Cheetos are available south side but they are the best.  
    They are available and they are pretty good.
    We have 50 million shifting varieties of Doritos that almost always suck.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    rgambs said:
    Nami said:
    zesty and nacho cheese doritos were the only ones i could eat.  bad heartburn to boot. ha
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I hate the Doritos Jacked chips..  They're like the size of an iPhone Plus.
  • Options
    One thing I've never actually heard a Canadian say is "eh."  Honest to god. Not ONE single Canadian I've ever met in my entire life has ever said that.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    One thing I've never actually heard a Canadian say is "eh."  Honest to god. Not ONE single Canadian I've ever met in my entire life has ever said that.
    people say it all the time, just not after every sentence like is potrayed in comedy sketches etc. it's no different than americans saying "uh" in its place. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I say it frequently. As do most of the Canadians I know. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    But do most of the Canadians you know say “twat”
    as frequently as you do?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    as frequently as you do?
    Depends on how many Americans they know. 
    =)

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    as frequently as you do?
    Depends on how many Americans they know. 
    =)
    She’s here all night, folks. 

Try the veal. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Nami said:
    rgambs said:
    Nami said:
    zesty and nacho cheese doritos were the only ones i could eat.  bad heartburn to boot. ha
    They have guacamole Doritos now, apparently for a limited time. I tried them on the weekend, and they are GOOD! I'm going to maybe stock up on them if they're only available for a limited time!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Signal lights!

Canadians know what they are and how to use them.

Americans don't know they exist.

• Options
    Signal lights!

not in winnipeg they don't. flat earth fuckers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited March 2018
    USA - Dunkin Donuts
    CAN - Tim Hortons

USA - Little Caesars
    CAN - Pizza Pizza

USA - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers

USA - imperial system
    CAN - metric system

USA - health care is a scam
    CAN - health care is free

USA - confuses patriotism with hatred and exclusivity
    CAN - just nice fucking people that love being Canadian with a bunch of other nice Canadians

USA - has Texans
    CAN - has Alberta

USA - cheese fries - not even close to the same thing as poutine
    CAN - poutine

USA - about
    CAN - aboowt - not a real thing, sorry.

Fixed a few things for you there. :wink:=)
    I was comparing Texas to Quebec because both wish they were their own countries.
    Cheese fries is the closest thing we have to covering fries in any type of sauce.
    Aboowt is totally a real thing.  I've heard it with my own ears.
    Yes, A-Boot exists.  Also "Sahturday".  Also overuse 'hard' "A"s.  It is possible it could be an Ontario/Golden Horseshoe thing.  Watching CBC/CTV at times as well as countless trips to Canada all that happens.  Two people here who deny it (I think) are in B.C. and Manitoba.  I have some close friends in the Montreal area, spend some weekends with them every year, and their 'accent' isnt quite as pronounced as I see in Ontario/GTA/NF.  I live where I can walk down the street and see Canada... and when I go elsewhere, and speak, people ask me if I am Canadian.  I think people where I live and Minnesota are both infected.  People/Americans blanket the accent on Canada because most media comes out of Toronto as it is kind of NYC and LA combined by scale as far as a media market.

Poutine is starting to infiltrate the USA.  We have a specialty Poutine joint in Buffalo... and I was just in Disney and saw a packed Poutine stand.  We also are completely over-run by Tim Hortons here.

Your list is pretty accurate IMO. 
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    MayDay10 said:
    USA - Dunkin Donuts
    CAN - Tim Hortons

USA - Little Caesars
    CAN - Pizza Pizza

USA - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers

USA - imperial system
    CAN - metric system

CAN - just nice fucking people that love being Canadian with a bunch of other nice Canadians

USA - has Texans
    CAN - has Alberta

CAN - poutine

USA - about

I was comparing Texas to Quebec because both wish they were their own countries.
    Cheese fries is the closest thing we have to covering fries in any type of sauce.
    Yes, A-Boot exists.  Also "Sahturday".  Also overuse 'hard' "A"s.  I live where I can walk down the street and see Canada... and when I go elsewhere, people ask me if I am Canadian when I speak.  I think people where I live and Minnesota are both infected.

Poutine is starting to infiltrate the USA.  We have a specialty Poutine joint in Buffalo... and I was just in Disney and saw a packed Poutine stand.  We also are completely over-run by Tim Hortons here.

“I can see Canada from my house!”
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I went to a training seminar for work a few years back and two of the girls in our Brampton office also went.  They kept talking about the prOcesses we were learning.  Long o, like "pro" athlete.  Every American I know (including me) says it with a short o, almost an "ah" sound. Like "prah-cess."
  • Options
    I went to a training seminar for work a few years back and two of the girls in our Brampton office also went.  They kept talking about the prOcesses we were learning.  Long o, like "pro" athlete.  Every American I know (including me) says it with a short o, almost an "ah" sound. Like "prah-cess."
    I don't think that's a national thing. I say it your way too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited March 2018
    MayDay10 said:
    USA - Dunkin Donuts
    CAN - Tim Hortons

USA - Little Caesars
    CAN - Pizza Pizza

USA - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers

USA - imperial system
    CAN - metric system

USA - has Texans
    CAN - has Alberta

CAN - poutine

USA - about

Yes, A-Boot exists.  Also "Sahturday".  Also overuse 'hard' "A"s.  It is possible it could be an Ontario/Golden Horseshoe thing.  Watching CBC/CTV at times as well as countless trips to Canada all that happens.  Two people here who deny it (I think) are in B.C. and Manitoba.  I have some close friends in the Montreal area, spend some weekends with them every year, and their 'accent' isnt quite as pronounced as I see in Ontario/GTA/NF.  I live where I can walk down the street and see Canada... and when I go elsewhere, and speak, people ask me if I am Canadian.  I think people where I live and Minnesota are both infected.  People/Americans blanket the accent on Canada because most media comes out of Toronto as it is kind of NYC and LA combined by scale as far as a media market.

The Cleveland accent is all nasally hard A's too.
    When my wife went to college her friend circle was all from Cleveland, she called me after 2 days and she was already using nasal A's, I was shocked it happened so fast.
    Any word like bad or sad turned into biaad and siaad.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    USA - Dunkin Donuts
    CAN - Tim Hortons

USA - Little Caesars
    CAN - Pizza Pizza

USA - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers

USA - imperial system
    CAN - metric system

USA - has Texans
    CAN - has Alberta

CAN - poutine

USA - about

Yes, A-Boot exists.  Also "Sahturday".  Also overuse 'hard' "A"s.  I live where I can walk down the street and see Canada... and when I go elsewhere, people ask me if I am Canadian when I speak.  I think people where I live and Minnesota are both infected.

“I can see Canada from my house!”
    LMAO
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Signal lights!

We don't know that traffic signs exist either. Nor do we understand the right of way. And while I'm at it, the left lane is the "passing lane" which means pass and get the fuck back over. It's not the "fast lane" or the lane for you to cruise in while you go 10 under the speed limit. Drives me fuckin nuts.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    USA - Dunkin Donuts
    CAN - Tim Hortons

USA - Little Caesars
    CAN - Pizza Pizza

USA - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers

USA - imperial system
    CAN - metric system

USA - has Texans
    CAN - has Alberta

CAN - poutine

USA - about

"infected". LOL

we have entire restaurants devoted to just poutine now. and now a full Poutine Week where even non-poutine restaurants come up with their own concoctions to get people to come out. 

Best poutine ever is still in Montreal. My health-concious wife even ate it with me every single day we were there. 

At midnight. 

After a pizza. 

it's that fucking good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I agree on the Montreal poutine (smoked meat too).  Our place in Buffalo sucks.  They try to make it 'gourmet' which just includes piling on all sorts of salty meats, jalapenos, corn, you name it.  Just keep it simple with the gravy and cheese curd and call it a day.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I agree on the Montreal poutine (smoked meat too).  Our place in Buffalo sucks.  They try to make it 'gourmet' which just includes piling on all sorts of salty meats, jalapenos, corn, you name it.  Just keep it simple with the gravy and cheese curd and call it a day.  
    That sounds more like Irish nachos.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    Irish nachos are great. I first had them in Seattle.

Best poutine I ever had was on Commercial Drive in Vancouver - it was Bison poutine. Very Canadian I suppose, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Americans:

Canadians:

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    jeffbr said:
    dankind said:
    The potato chip aisle at a Canadian supermarket is truly a wonder to behold.
    What is that one flavour they have? "All Dressed" or something like that?
    Just got a bag today! One of my favorites (or is it favourites?)!

I found these at Kroger.  Damn they are good!!!
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    I've heard about these!! Don't think they sell them here :i_dunno:
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Just wondering, do Canadians say "mall" like the Americans or "shopping centre" like Aussies do?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Just wondering, do Canadians say "mall" like the Americans or "shopping centre" like Aussies do?
    both. the one close to me is called St Vital Shopping Centre, but when people talk about where they are going, they either shorted it to St Vital Mall or just "the mall". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD