Americans and Canadians

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    My region of Ohio doesn't have a dominant accent, we have a few.  We have the Pennsylvania Dutch accent and we have redneck, and our average non-Amish, non-redneck either has a Cleveland accent or none at all.
    Midwesterners have less accent than most, but way more made up and alternate words.
    Do they say perteneer where you live? My grandmother/mother/uncles/great aunt and all those other dumbass family members of mine from bumfuck Ohio say this, and I want to run my head into a wall every time they do so.
    I haven't heard that one much.  I'm far enough east to be on the edge of "yinz" territory, there's a strong streak of "ope", and people like to relax and get "cumpterble".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Judging by the context in which the hicks in my family use it, I think it means "pretty near."

"That motorcycle perteneer crashed into that car."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    My how the Queens engish has been bastardised
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    My region of Ohio doesn't have a dominant accent, we have a few.  We have the Pennsylvania Dutch accent and we have redneck, and our average non-Amish, non-redneck either has a Cleveland accent or none at all.
    Midwesterners have less accent than most, but way more made up and alternate words.
    Do they say perteneer where you live? My grandmother/mother/uncles/great aunt and all those other dumbass family members of mine from bumfuck Ohio say this, and I want to run my head into a wall every time they do so.
    I don't even know what "perteneer" is supposed to be. 
    Pretty near
    Pertty near
    Pert near

Never heard it as one word but pert near is common here.
    We also measure distances with estimated driving time (often with the route provided for reference)
    We call the median a "curb strip"
    Too many people say "wershed", more than "warshed" around here.
    The most outrageous is that diabetic people often say they "got the sugar(s)"
    Too much sugar
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    dankind said:
    Judging by the context in which the hicks in my family use it, I think it means "pretty near."

"That motorcycle perteneer crashed into that car."
    oh my god I fucking laughed out loud at my desk. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    Hahahaha I don't think anyone in the UK has a right to make that claim, nobody has bastardised your language more than yourselves lol
    Entire regions that add R's to the end of any word ending with a vowel.
    All the "shire" words lol 
    Accents so heavy that pronunciations across the board are technically incorrect.

Classier bastardisations than we redneck though, that's for sure.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't even know what "perteneer" is supposed to be. 
    Pretty near
    Pertty near
    Pert near

Never heard it as one word but pert near is common here.
    We also measure distances with estimated driving time (often with the route provided for reference)
    We call the median a "curb strip"
    Too many people say "wershed", more than "warshed" around here.
    The most outrageous is that diabetic people often say they "got the sugar(s)"
    and come to think of it, I've heard my mom and her family say "perteneer" sometimes as a joke (grew up in rural manitoba along with her mother who said warsh). I didn't put it together until you explained it. I'm still laughing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    Hahahaha I don't think anyone in the UK has a right to make that claim, nobody has bastardised your language more than yourselves lol
    Accents so heavy that pronunciations across the board are technically incorrect.

Shire? I live in Hertfordshire .  R on the end of a vowel?im confused which is normal!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Although cockney rhyming slang bastardised it best
     Any of you wanna learn some?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

rgambs said:

Shire? I live in Hertfordshire .  R on the end of a vowel?im confused which is normal!
    Like the name "monica" is pronounced "moniker" in the UK. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    Spell out phonetically how you say Hertfordshire.
    You haven't noticed the R added to the end of words???
    You guys have that weird non-rhotic R that screws everything up, but then you also have heavy use of intrusive R's in your rhotic dialects.

Thus, in some regions of the UK "tuner" would be pronounced "tuna" and in other regions "tuna" would be pronounced "tuner".
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    rgambs said:
    You guys have that weird non-rhotic R that screws everything up, but then you also have heavy use of intrusive R's in your rhotic dialects.

Thus, in some regions of the UK "tuner" would be pronounced "tuna" and in other regions "tuna" would be pronounced "tuner".
    Always cracks me up when I hear that Oasis Champagne Supernova song. Supa Nover in the sky.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:
    rgambs said:

Always cracks me up when I hear that Oasis Champagne Supernova song. Supa Nover in the sky.

A perfect example!  Both of their R issues in one phrase.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Americans lack of geographical knowledge as a whole is both amusing and sad.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    Amusing for you, sad for us lol 

• LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do people from Quebec look down on fellow Canadians when you talk English instead of French?
    I'm not Canadian, but I've been to Montreal and its surrounding towns enough to say that I think it depends on the person and where his/her loyalties lie. I'd say it's about half and half where I've been.

For example, I'd walk into a store in Longueuil to purchase a two-four, and the clerk would say, "Bonsoir." I'd answer, "Hello." After which the clerk would either speak to me in English or continue speaking to me in French. If the latter, I'd take my business elsewhere, knowing that, by law, that motherfucker knows how to speak English and is just being an asshole.
    Were you not able to answer "Bonsoir"? Did you expect a big, long and deep conversation with the clerk and it broke your heart that he didn't care? You see, we expect the minimum, just that you are trying to speak the langage because we do care about it. You didn't give a shit, he dind't either. I don't know if you travel in none anglophone country but wherever you go, it's the basic to learn to say "hi", "how are you?", "thank" and "good day" in the local langage. Why would you think we are different?
    jeffbr said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Do people from Quebec look down on fellow Canadians when you talk English instead of French?
    Quebecois have no room to look down at anyone for language. The French people I know say that it is like nails on a chalkboard listening to them speak French. They basically butcher both English and French. 
    French no longer speaks french anymway. They use english words with french accent and think that sooo cool. The French people you know are probably from Paris, unable to understand Breton or Marseillais. To give you an idea, when we go there, they think we are German and when they come here, they are suprise to see that we don't live in igloo. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my gradmother from rural manitoba also said warsh. 
    So did my grandmother, and she was originally from North Vancouver. Granted, North Van wasn’t very cosmopolitan in the 1920s, and she moved to northern BC after she married, so maybe it was that influence. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    Questions for my Canadian friends:
    1. Molson or labatt?
    2. What is the province that no Canadian wants to visit unless you have relatives living there?
    3. What Canadian city is most like Las Vegas?
    4. Have you ever stayed in an ice hotel?

1. Water will be fine
    2. In this time of year, Iqaluit
    3. Toronto maybe?
    4. Nope,
    Post edited by Longueuil on
    edited March 2018
    Longueuil said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm not Canadian, but I've been to Montreal and its surrounding towns enough to say that I think it depends on the person and where his/her loyalties lie. I'd say it's about half and half where I've been.

For example, I'd walk into a store in Longueuil to purchase a two-four, and the clerk would say, "Bonsoir." I'd answer, "Hello." After which the clerk would either speak to me in English or continue speaking to me in French. If the latter, I'd take my business elsewhere, knowing that, by law, that motherfucker knows how to speak English and is just being an asshole.
    Were you not able to answer "Bonsoir"? Did you expect a big, long and deep conversation with the clerk and it broke your heart that he didn't care? You see, we expect the minimum, just that you are trying to speak the langage because we do care about it. You didn't give a shit, he dind't either. I don't know if you travel in none anglophone country but wherever you go, it's the basic to learn to say "hi", "how are you?", "thank" and "good day" in the local langage. Why would you think we are different?
    i see where you are coming from, but when you respond in the language, often they take that to mean you know the language, and start talking in that tongue. and then it's awkward after they say this long-winded sentence in that language, and all you can do is shrug your shoulders. it's different when you are in a resort in mexico and everyone knows that the only word you know is 'cerveza'. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Longueuil said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

i see where you are coming from, but when you respond in the language, often they take that to mean you know the language, and start talking in that tongue. and then it's awkward after they say this long-winded sentence in that language, and all you can do is shrug your shoulders. it's different when you are in a resort in mexico and everyone knows that the only word you know is 'cerveza'. 
    You don't visit Mexico outside of a resort? 

Just an hand movment and say "mon français pas bon" and you are good to go. You try, we try.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2018
    I think everyone should just relax about it. You try, we try? I don't think saying "hello" instead of "bonsoir" is anywhere near comparable to refusing to speak to a PAYING CUSTOMER in a language the customer understands even though the clerk knows how to speak it. That is not a balance response, and it's also just shitty customer service.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’m OK with greetings, menus and such in most romance languages, and I can still recall my Russian. But when it comes to larger numbers in French—for instance, how 97 is (4x20)+(10+7)—I’m kind of beyond dumb. I always figured that it was easier to represent myself as an English speaker right away instead of being a fucking poseur, so as to avoid some embarrassment later when not knowing how much to pay when the time came. 

This happened a couple of times when I returned greetings in French, and then got busted by not knowing it well enough to finish a transaction. At which point, the clerk just kept speaking French anyway. I’m sure I don’t want to know what they were saying. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    while I acknowledge that we have some linguistic difference, we do NOT say ABOOT. If we did, I'd hear a difference in how you folks say it. and I don't. We say "roof", and you guys bark when you say it "ruff". But our abouts are the same. I think you guys are hearing something you want to hear. too much southpark maybe. 
    https://youtu.be/Adgx9wt63NY

Most Americans I know (I'm dirty south) pronounce roof like these guys ^ "roof".... However, my boyfriend is from Bahhston and he says rum instead of room. I'll ask him to pronounce roof next time we talk. I'd imagine it may sound like ruff.. might be a New England thing?

^^^ Not sure where that butchered pronunciation of Fiiiierrr in the video came from though? :i_dunno:
    dankind said:
    I’m OK with greetings, menus and such in most romance languages, and I can still recall my Russian. But when it comes to larger numbers in French—for instance, how 97 is (4x20)+(10+7)—I’m kind of beyond dumb. I always figured that it was easier to represent myself as an English speaker right away instead of being a fucking poseur, so as to avoid some embarrassment later when not knowing how much to pay when the time came. 

This happened a couple of times when I returned greetings in French, and then got busted by not knowing it well enough to finish a transaction. At which point, the clerk just kept speaking French anyway. I’m sure I don’t want to know what they were saying. 
    You're probaly right, you don't want to know what they were saying. I'm sure it was not offensive but I'm also sure that it was not interresting.
    I must admit, I'm impress that you are able to speak Russian. It looks like a tough language to learn.

Difference between American and Canadian : American knows their Constitution, Canadian don't.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I drove from southern ontario to jasper alberta last fall ... i went the canadian way, northern, ontario is absolutely stunning ... leaving ontario into manitoba, and the further into manitoba one goes becomes depressing, what a boring province, saskatchewan is not much better ...

The parts of alberta and bc i saw were great ... of course i avoided the cities ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Longueuil said:
    Longueuil said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You don't visit Mexico outside of a resort? 

Just an hand movment and say "mon français pas bon" and you are good to go. You try, we try.
    I visited mexico once, last year, and we went on a few excursions outside of the resort, but otherwise, no. 

it was montreal. not a small village in france. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

northerndragon said:
    It's really sad.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dankind said:
    The potato chip aisle at a Canadian supermarket is truly a wonder to behold.
    What is that one flavour they have? "All Dressed" or something like that?
    Just got a bag today! One of my favorites (or is it favourites?)!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08